PDA

View Full Version : Could LeBron James co-exist with Carmelo Anthony?

Fresno
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Im talking about both players benefiting with each other on the court.

Many people believe that LeBron & Wade cancel each other out because both players like to have the ball in their hands running the offense, both rely on attacking the basket, & both arent good shooters when playing off the ball. They're learning how to adjust to each other, but it ends up dipping LeBron's numbers more than it did Wade's.

So for example, you have a team with Carmelo Anthony & LeBron James. Although both play SF, you could start LeBron at PG while still retaining his same role of a Point Forward. Whoever starts at SG would obviously be an undersized Combo Guard capable of guarding the opposing PG.

I think their games benefit each other completely.

- LeBron wants to handle the ball and run the offense. Carmelo doesn't. Which means LeBron has full reign of bringing the ball up the court, setting up plays, and getting his teammates involved.

- Carmelo looks to get the ball to finish out an offensive possession. Hes a scorer who mainly focuses on scoring the ball in a variety of ways. LeBron can score but hes more of an All Around player who does anything needed of him. He'd allow Melo to play his "game" and get his shots while LeBron constantly faces double teams from defenses. Melo also is a better shooter from 3 & mid range, so it would make spacing much better.

- 4th Quarter. LeBron folds, while Melo is one of the most clutch players in the NBA. LeBron doesnt have a problem not taking the last shot, while Melo wants the ball every time and rarely defers to someone else.

- Defense. Carmelo is a lazy inconsistent defender, while LeBron is more focused. With a good help defensive scheme with LeBron & Melo both on the perimeter, it could hide Melo's individual defense struggles. A player like Ray Allen was never considered a good defender, but in Boston with a better defender on the perimeter in Paul Pierce, it allowed Allen to work well with team defense.

- Mentality. LeBron is a vocal leader on the court while Melo is "mellow". Melo has never had an issue with ego or being demanding on his teammates, he just takes control in the 4th kinda like a James Worthy did. LeBron would be Team Captain, while Melo wouldnt have any problem with it. They're good friends too.

Ebbs
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I think so. LeBron isn't a selfish player. He could coexist with just about anyone.

six
09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Knicks fans dont get too optimistic.

Ebbs
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
CP3 S&T, + Fields for LeBron

Billups + LeBron + Melo + Stat + turiaf

CP3 + Wade + Fields + Bosh + Joel

lolz bored.

AntiG
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I think so. LeBron isn't a selfish player. He could coexist with just about anyone.

anyone but Delonte West, because he'd have to call him stepdaddy which would make BronBron a saaaaaaad panda.

But joking aside, I agree.

Knickerbocker34
09-12-2011, 03:33 PM
hahaha a saaaaaaad panda

smith&wesson
09-12-2011, 03:51 PM
melo needs the ball in his hands to be effective as well. but lebron is a good play maker if melo can play off the ball well it would work.

NYman15
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I think they could make it work. But thats not happening anytime soon. Although, if Melo took the 1 year less on his last deal like Lebron, Wade, and Bosh did, who knows maybe they're teammates right now.

KnicksR4Real
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
it could work.

Meatmypet
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I dont think Melo can play off ball either.

3mikee_
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't think so... Melo is a big time one on one guy who needs the ball. Even though LeBron is great at distributing, I don't think Melo is really one of those "finishers" or w.e.. he needs to get the ball go into triple threat and just shred the defense. Playing off the ball or off LeBron won't really work.

ewmania
09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I dont think Melo can play off ball either.

melo plays the post alot, all he'd have to do is position himself

I can see that working

Gary Reasons
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
No I don't think melo would respect lebron or lebron's game. I mean I don't even play In the league and I don't .

Ezio
09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
If either learn how to play off the ball then yeah. Both need the ball to be effective.

Avenged
09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't see how this would work at all. Two players who play the same position whom need the ball in their hands.

bmd1101
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Umm no, 2 sf's, one of which is nearly a pure iso player.

beasted86
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
In a Knicks style offense, sure. But in any type of half court run team like the Heat, Cavs of old, etc... it would not work. Carmelo's lack of passing ability is the reason it couldn't work.

When Wade has the ball in his hands, he can still make passes and plays for LeBron & vice versa. Carmelo has never been a strong passer, he's looking to score.

mdm692
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
No I don't think melo would respect lebron or lebron's game. I mean I don't even play In the league and I don't .

why cause he knows he is a better clutch-offensive weapon than anybody in the league. While they do compliment each other idk if lebron could bare playing robin to melo after playing it to wade

naps
09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Melo with the most unselfish player in the league? Hell yea! Anyone would co-exist with the best player on the planet, not only Melo.

sventhedog
09-12-2011, 10:22 PM
it could work. melo could step up when lebron does his thing -- choking. lol.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
If Carmleo were to replace Wade, I think it could work.

Lebron is the primary ball handler and he can open it up for open Carmelo 3's.

beasted86
09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
If Carmleo were to replace Wade, I think it could work.

Lebron is the primary ball handler and he can open it up for open Carmelo 3's.

:confused:

Carmelo is not a good 3 point shooter.

airronijordan
09-12-2011, 11:44 PM

he shot 42% from 3 point range as a Knick....his 3 point shot has improved

Raps08-09 Champ
09-12-2011, 11:54 PM

Emphasis on the open.

29$JerZ
09-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Expect that to change with Mike as the coach
Those 6ft behind the 3 line though need to stop though

AntiG
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I don't see how this would work at all. Two players who play the same position whom need the ball in their hands.

Eh, LeBron could play any position well except center. You can easily have him playing the one or two while Melo plays the three.

Melo is an Iso guy, and LeBron pretty much can function in any style of offense, you put the ball in his hands because he's a terrific distributor and penetrator, which will draw defenders away from Melo. It would work fine.

Lakersfan2483
09-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Nope, both guys need the ball in their hands to be effective. Neither guy is particularly great off the ball.

beasted86
09-13-2011, 11:13 AM
he shot 42% from 3 point range as a Knick....his 3 point shot has improved

A 27 game sample isn't nearly enough. By that logic, Marcus Thornton is really a 21 PPG scorer.

Carmelo has shot the 3 as high as 37% in his career, and as low as 24%. He's never been a consistent solid 3 point shooter, open or not.... he's streaky like Kobe.

coryd238
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
In a Knicks style offense, sure. But in any type of half court run team like the Heat, Cavs of old, etc... it would not work. Carmelo's lack of passing ability is the reason it couldn't work.

When Wade has the ball in his hands, he can still make passes and plays for LeBron & vice versa. Carmelo has never been a strong passer, he's looking to score.

Melo's a good passer, he's just never had that role in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 10:46 PM
havent they already in team usa?

and btw you are late, the decision happened a year ago.

blastmasta26
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Although they both need the ball in their hands to be effective, I think they are talented (and different) enough to make it work after an adjustment period. LeBron can easily play either PG or SG while Melo stays at SF, so positional conflict is not an issue. In terms of play style, Melo would be the primary scorer and go to guy, while LeBron would run the offense and also conserve energy in order to lock down the best perimeter opponent defensively. Melo's improved shooting and his good post play could allow him to play off the ball at times, although admittedly he would need to iso a lot.

Chronz
09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Im sure Melo could co exist with him but even Melo complimenting Bron to his fullest isnt a more productive force than Wade being hindered by Bron.

But you could argue Melo makes Bron a more effective player, I dont think its enough to offset Wades superiority over Melo tho