PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft: 2) Las Vegas vs. 3) Corpus Christi

phlp_bj
09-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than lets say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

2) Las Vegas vs. 3) Corpus Christi

Las Vegas has home court advantage

Las Vegas Depth Chart:
PG - Kirk Hinrich / Jason Terry / Shaun Livingston
SG - Stephen Jackson / Jason Terry / Iman Shumpert
SF - Andrei Kirilenko / Austin Daye / Stephen Jackson
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Anthony Tolliver / Bismack Biyombo
C - Kwame Brown / Jason Thompson

Corpus Christi Depth Chart:
Mike Conley/Jose Barea/Eric Maynor
Mike Miller/CJ Miles/Bill Walker
Andre Iguodala/Mike Miller/Bill Walker
Lamarcus Aldridge/Mareesse Speights
Samuel Dalembert/Jermaine O'Neal/Jamaal Magloire

Las Vegas Writeup:

Ill start off by saying that Corpus Christi built a strong team in this NBA Re-Draft and I wish them the best of luck if they were to advance past our team assembled.

Point Guard Kirk Hinrich vs. Mike Conley Jr

Wed like to point out that Mike Conley during the playoffs was able to be rattled quite a bit this past season, keep in mind that Hinrich is a very strong defensive player. Conleys offensive production dropped quite a bit in the postseason, TS% dropped from .521 to .477, eFG% from .486 to .418. While Hinrich is the better shooter with .539 TS% and a EFG% of .510 (Keep in mind that he also had to switch teams). Hinrich is known to be a strong three point shooter (42.1 3pt % with Hawks), which works perfect in this offense as hes able to spread out the defense. Defenisvely Hinrich should be able to contain Mike Conley Jr, while also having 3 inches to shoot over him certainly doesnt hurt.

Shooting Guard Stephen Jackson (Jason Terry off the bench) vs. Mike Miller

Im coming right at the concerns of the last matchup, which was Stephen Jacksons apparent inefficiency. Jackson's TS% in GState (when he didn't have to carry the scoring load) was in the 54%/55% range which is right at/slightly above the league average. Obviously when playing for the Bobcats he was forced to become the number one option, which certainly isnt needed with Dirk and Jason Terry on this roster, creating the ability for Jackson to worry less about scoring. Jackson defensively is considered to be one of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA, having the ability to put serious pressure on Mike Miller on the perimeter. Having two very different shooting guards on this roster can only be a plus, its a two headed monster of Thunder and Lightening.

Small Forward - Andrei Kirilenko (AK47) vs. Andre Iguodala

Offensively we feel that Andre Iguodala would struggle against Kirilenko, hes certainly not one of the best shooters in the NBA (.337 from 3s, .693 from line, 53.0 TS %). Kirilenko has the ability to make Iguodala work for his lanes to the basket with his size and defensive abilities. Defensively Iguodala is certainly a sound player; however Kirilenko is one of the most versatile players in the NBA with his scoring ability, passing ability, shooting, driving, and his strong defense. Kirilenko is also able to bring help defense in the paint during different notions of the game depending on which player he is faced up against, creating even more problems for the bigs of Christi. Thats a key point we feel, Kirilenko can slide at power forward during spurts of the game and match up with Aldridge, given that Aldridge isnt much of a banger down low.

Power Forward Dirk Nowitzki vs. LaMarcus Aldridge

Dirk Nowitzki is the best power forward in the NBA and fresh off a championship run with the Dallas Mavericks. We feel we obviously win this matchup, Aldridge isnt a bad player, but hes got ways to go before hes able to reach the status of Dirk. I dont even think that Ill need to explain the statistics of this matchup, given that everyone knows the type of player that Dirk is. Hes able to score anywhere on the floor, which is absolutely fantastic for any offense, just a extremely versatile player. He also proved that hes completely willingly to play defense and hes not the same soft European player that he was when he first came into the league.

Center Kwame Brown vs. Samuel Dalembert

Let me start this off by saying that I am a Philadelphia 76ers fan and Ive watched plenty of Samuel Dalembert. With that being said, he has one of the worst basketball I.Qs in the NBA. Offensively he produces the same type of basic points per game, however with advanced statistics Kwame produced far better last season. Dalembert had a .509 TS % vs. Kwame Browns .550 TS %, along with EFG% being .473 (Dalembert) vs. .517 (Brown). Dalembert is a better shotblocker however Kwame is on the same level as a man to man defender. Kwame Brown provides a large body in the middle of our team to clog up the paint (7'1 / 270 pounds to his 6'11 / 245) and play defense. Neither would have a significant advantage on either end of the floor.

Bench Jason Terry, Jason Thompson, Shaun Livingston, Austin Daye, Anthony Tolliver, Bismack Biyombo, DJ Mbenga, and Iman Shumpert.

Jason Terry leads the charge off the bench for this team. He is the best bench player in the entire NBA and one of the main reasons why the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA Championship this past season. Hes an electric scorer with the ability to light up the scoreboard at any point during the game. While Jason Thompson is a much underrated versatile player, he has the ability to play both C and PF. Synergy had him ranked as one of the best defensive bigmen in the NBA last year. Hes one of those players that are absolutely perfect as the main big off the bench. Due to Demarcus Cousins being drafted, his time diminished a bit last season, however he still put up 9/6 and 12.5/8.5 the year before. He brings a very athletic side to this team and will surely be used during the fast break. Shaun Livingston is a larger point guard that has the ability to guard shooting guards if hes in the game with Jason Terry, if he cant handle them. He was a very bright spot of the Clippers quite a few years ago until that freakish injury; hes a fighter to be back on in the NBA. Austin Daye is a young wing player with plenty potential. Hes able to knock down shots and given his 6-11 205 frame, hes able to rebound quite well for a small forward. Anthony Tolliver is a strong big off the bench who has some experience starting with the Warriors and simply fills in with our strong big rotation. The rest of our bench consist of players that will see a bit of time during the playoffs and are all able to fill any necessary minutes.

Overview:

Vegas is the favorite for a reason. We have just as many if not more strong defensive players (Hinrich, SJax, AK47, Kwame Brown, Jason Thompson) as CC while having a much superior offense. Dirk-Terry are two proven game closers with a built in chemistry. We believe our experience, balance offensively and defensively, and ability to score in a wide variety of ways gives Vegas the significant edge in this matchup.

Corpus Christi Writeup:

PG: This is a clear advantage for us. Hinrich had his worst statistical year ever. Conley is as good of a shooter, and a better scorer, passer and probably defender at this point in their careers. There is really nothing that Hinrich can do that Conley can't, and Conley does most of those things better.

SG: Jackson is a good player, there's no denying that. However, he isn't the Stephen Jackson he has been for most of his career. His play-making isn't nearly as formidable as it once was, his passing games has dropped off, and his efficiency is as poor as ever. He takes 16 shots a game, and only gets 18.5 out of them. That's no good. Miller, when healthy (which you are to assume) is a perfect 4th option. His passing and rebounding game are as good as any SG in the league, his shooting obviously doesn't need to be hyped up from me and his defense is always consistent and fundamentally perfect. Jackson can score more, for sure, but Miller's efficiency, shooting and rebounding are huge for us.

SF: Kirilenko is just a lesser version of Iggy at this point in their careers. Iggy is better defensively, better offensively, and better at rebounding and passing.

PF: This is the most important match up. Dirk is Dirk, and he's going to score no matter who you throw on him. Aldridge isn't better than Dirk, but he's not much worse...especially when you throw in defense. He sports a 21.5 PER to Dirk's 23.4 and they both had 11.1 win shares last season. Head-to-head for their careers, Aldridge scores 19.9 points on 52.1% shooting to Dirk's 23.4 points on 50.2% shooting. They rebound at almost identical rates. In the playoffs last season, LaMarcus held Dirk to 45.2% shooting. I think we can hold our own here...

C: This is a clear advantage for us. Dalembert is better offensively and defensively than Kwame Brown.

The benches are pretty similar. They have Terry and we have Barea. Terry is better, but Barea, especially in the playoffs, is as good of a spark off the bench as anyone. After Terry, they don't have a whole lot. Daye will be a good player eventually, but he isn't a huge asset at this point in time. He's a very inefficient scorer and average defender. We counter with CJ Miles who's good for 13 points a game and has a nice PER of 14.44. He's a solid shooter, rebounder, defender and scorer...a perfect bench player. We're pretty similar up front, but O'Neal's defense and experience gives us the slight advantage. Thompson and Tolliver are poor defenders.

Overall, we like how we match up. We feel we are the better defense 1-5 and with the benches included. We feel like we can score points against their team with our great mix of shooting and inside play. They don't really have anyone who can really score consistently in the paint, besides Dirk, who does it infrequently, allowing us to extend to the perimeter a bit more, where they probably will be trying to score from. Hinrich, Jackson, AK and Dirk all are perimeter offensive players...and Kwame just isn't an offensive player period.

Our balance on offense and ability to score from everywhere on the court and score with everyone on the court, is a huge asset. We think we hold positional advantages for certain at 3 out of 5 of the positions, and the other two are very close. We prefer our bench, mainly because of it's depth and defense as well. Our balanced offense and our superior defense should be enough to prevail.

Mr. Baller
09-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Good luck KOB!

Sportfan
09-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Vegas, too much scoring for CC to stop and with AK 47 on Iggy, CC is going to have a hard time scoring with just LMA really and a contained Iggy

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks you too. :)

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 11:02 AM
And don't let the writeup mislead you. Dirk had his way with LA in the playoffs. 27 PPG with an absurd 11 free throw attempts per game vs. Portland this postseason including an 11-17fg/11-11 FT/ 33pt / 11 rebound / 4 assist game in the series clincher. They couldn't stop him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-11-2011, 11:24 AM
teams are equal, but I vote for LV, they have dirk;)

Corey
09-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Close for me. I need to think abou this series for a bit.

LakersIn5
09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
when i saw the las vegas team i was like "really? theyre no.2? theyre not that good" but once i saw the other team i was like "okay, vegas still wins"

Avenged
09-11-2011, 12:39 PM
This one is close.. No offense to Vegas but how are they a #2 seed? I'll pick them though because they have Dirk, but I still think Terry should be starting over S-Jax.

ManRam
09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
This one is close.. No offense to Vegas but how are they a #2 seed?

Dirk-mania!

Westbrook36
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
How are we not the number two team? We have a number one option in Dirk, two players you can considered to be number two options in Jason Terry and Stephen Jackson. Kwame Brown is a large body on the inside as a filler, with someone such as Jason Thompson behind him (Athletic Ability). While Kirk Hinrich defensively is able to handle most point guards and his shooting is valueable. AK-47 defensively adds a whole lot to the table and able to do so many different things. I realize you hate Stephen Jackson, but really? A few people voted us the best team in the entire Re-Draft..

The_Jamal
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Las Vegas pretty easily as they are now my favorites to win. They have everything needed to win a title and are easily better than the remaining teams.

Sportfan
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Las Vegas pretty easily as they are now my favorites to win. They have everything needed to win a title and are easily better than the remaining teams.
Easily better? That's a reach

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 06:29 PM
How are we not the number two team? We have a number one option in Dirk, two players you can considered to be number two options in Jason Terry and Stephen Jackson. Kwame Brown is a large body on the inside as a filler, with someone such as Jason Thompson behind him (Athletic Ability). While Kirk Hinrich defensively is able to handle most point guards and his shooting is valueable. AK-47 defensively adds a whole lot to the table and able to do so many different things. I realize you hate Stephen Jackson, but really? A few people voted us the best team in the entire Re-Draft..

Most underrated Co-GM of all-time.

I honestly think most people don't realize that redraft teams have a tough time stacking up to real life teams. You see teams like the Heat and Celtics in real life and look at a redraft team of Hinrich-Sjax-AK47-Dirk-Terry doesn't seem like gangbusters.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 06:30 PM

I appreciate this. And it means a lot coming from a GM who took a terrible pick and a ****** seed and made the best of it. Congrats to you on accomplishing what you did.

LakersMaster24
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Aldridge Iggy Conley is not that bad. I mean, all Vegas has is Dirk and S-Jax and Terry?

Cristi has a better frontcourt too. Samuel Dalembert, JO > Kwame, Jason Thompson

phlp_bj
09-12-2011, 01:04 PM
bump

PocketKings
09-13-2011, 03:01 AM
:cry:

I seriously think CC is such a sexy team.

Good run for them.

DR_1
09-13-2011, 08:02 AM
I've got Vegas here