PDA

View Full Version : Had Iverson played in LA, NY or Chicago instead of Philly, how much hype would ......

JordansBulls
09-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Had Iverson played in LA after Magic left (1996), NY (after Ewing was done by 2000) or Chicago (after MJ by 1999) instead of Philly how much hype would he had gotten?

BranWingss
09-10-2011, 07:54 PM
He would have been considered the next guy to take on the franchise, team, and the city. He would have had so much presure on him. He may have actually had too much presure on him.

GoPacers33
09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I thought there was a lot of hype even though he was in Philly

theLgndKllr35
09-10-2011, 08:37 PM
He played in Philly. It's not NY big, but it's not exactly Seattle either.

KnicksorBust
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
He played in Philly. It's not NY big, but it's not exactly Seattle either.

This. It's not like you have to look to hard to find stories about the Phillies and the Eagles.

In response to Branwingss, you can't possibly believe Iverson would be the type to wilt under the NY lights. He's got more swagger than any Knicks player since Bernard King.

ManningToTyree
09-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Same amount of hype. Philly is a pretty big market

Evolution23
09-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Iverson would easily be able to handle the pressure of playing in NY. The hype would only be slightly bigger because he was already hyped up enough in Philly.

avon_barksdale
09-10-2011, 09:21 PM
yo kid philly a huge market. some dudes said he was the best in the league, how that aint hype?

Cal827
09-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Hell, if it wasn't for expansion agreement, he wouldn't have even been a Sixer. The Raptors won that lottery, but had to draft 2nd overall b/c of the agreement. lol

If he was playing in New York, or LA he would be worshipped as the next best thing. Chicago would have wayy too much pressure (as he would be expected to take the load after Pippen/Jordan).

Monta is beast
09-10-2011, 09:38 PM
He got alot of attention in Philly to. I think it was the perfect place for him to.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 10:02 PM
He got alot of attention in Philly to. I think it was the perfect place for him to.

This, he was a Philly type of player.

LONG LIVE AI!!!!!!!!!

JayAllDay
09-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Philly is a huge sports market

He got a lot of deserved hype. That guy was something else man.

six
09-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Sure, Philly is a decent sized market. But do you really think they can compete with the 3 largest markets in the NBA? Chicago has been top 2 in attendance for 7 strait years now, Philly didn't even come close.

Muttman73
09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Would have liked to see him in Chicago, no telling how it would have worked out

llemon
09-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned that other than numbers, Iverson sucked, and on quite a few levels.

BranWingss
09-10-2011, 10:15 PM
This. It's not like you have to look to hard to find stories about the Phillies and the Eagles.

In response to Branwingss, you can't possibly believe Iverson would be the type to wilt under the NY lights. He's got more swagger than any Knicks player since Bernard King.

But you don't think he'd be bothered at all with NY spotlight? NY is levels ahead.

six
09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned that other than numbers, Iverson sucked, and on quite a few levels.

He also led the league in steals 3 times. His efficiency was his major flaw though.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I would suggest you calling the NBA and having them ship you tapes from every game in the 00'-01' season. He took a team full of bench and role players to the NBA finals and stole a game from the Lakers who went 15-1 in the playoffs that year.

llemon
09-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I would suggest you calling the NBA and having them ship you tapes from every game in the 00'-01' season. He took a team full of bench and role players to the NBA finals and stole a game from the Lakers who went 15-1 in the playoffs that year.

I suggest you watch those tapes and realize that it was a team full of bench and role players that took Iverson to the NBA Finals and stole a game from the Lakers that season.

shep33
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Philly is a pretty big market, and Penn is a pretty strong sports location. Steelers, Eagles, Penguins, Sixers are all pretty popular teams nation wide.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I suggest you watch those tapes and realize that it was a team full of bench and role players that took Iverson to the NBA Finals and stole a game from the Lakers that season.

Without Iverson they were a lottery team.

llemon
09-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Without Iverson they were a lottery team.

With a healthy Ratliff, not really.

However, that 'lottery team' was carefully assembled in order to get Iverson, with all his faults, as far as they could get in the playoffs that season.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 11:00 PM
With a healthy Ratliff, not really.

However, that 'lottery team' was carefully assembled in order to get Iverson, with all his faults, as far as they could get in the playoffs that season.

Agree to disagree

One thing you can't dispute is that Iverson filled the then Wachovia Center every game. The fan support for the Sixers was sky high during his tenure and unfortunately has fallen off dramatically since he left. He resurrected Sixers basketball when it was at one of its lowest points.

llemon
09-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Agree to disagree

One thing you can't dispute is that Iverson filled the then Wachovia Center every game. The fan support for the Sixers was sky high during his tenure and unfortunately has fallen off dramatically since he left. He resurrected Sixers basketball when it was at one of its lowest points.

I am happy for the Sixer fans.

Doesn't change any other fact.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
similar hype, and him and shaq wouldnt have lasted enough togheter to reach title land.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 11:16 PM

i would suggest you cheked the rosters of the powerhouses :laugh: in the east that year.

also i would suggest you go and find mutombo and call him role player straight to his face.

fadedmario
09-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Iverson is and always will be trash

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Great great input to this thread llemon I must compliment on making such a smart post you are the smartest person on this entire earth. :worthy:

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Iverson is and always will be trash

Thank you for these words of wisdom. :worthy:

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:30 PM
It's funny how haters swarm in their numbers when their is the slightest mention of the name Iverson and LeBron (Kobe was once among these as well). It really shows the backward thinking of adults out here. JB asked a simple question and a plethora of ignorance comes out.

What does ill speaking Allen Iverson has to do with this thread?

Anywho as for the topic, IMO LA and NY would just mean a bit more hype and especially with LA where he'd expected to win, and he would have been able to do that with a prime Shaq (maybe not 3 peat but IMO A.I. they'd still be able to be pretty successful).

What's most intriguing however is Chicago. A.I. in Chi Town in the post MJ era (MJ was still in the league when A.I. came in but lets just say for the sake of the argument that A.I. came after MJ left). The world of unfair expectations would have been placed on him or any player of his calibre who came to Chicago right after MJ. I'd say he'd certainly be more popular in the World Wide media and not just Chicago if he played there. His hype would have rivaled that of what we saw from LeBron if he went to Chicago.

llemon
09-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Great great input to this thread llemon I must compliment on making such a smart post you are the smartest person on this entire earth. :worthy:

Aw shucks......it weren't nothin' that anyone with any NBA knowledge doesn't already know.

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Aw shucks......it weren't nothin' that anyone with any NBA knowledge doesn't already know.

Yea we all know Allen Iverson sucks. You're a genius llemon.....

llemon
09-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Yea we all know Allen Iverson sucks. You're a genius llemon.....

Yes, that is now established.

And technically, the proper term is 'Allen Iverson sucked', because he is now too sucky to play in the NBA.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 11:45 PM
i would suggest you cheked the rosters of the powerhouses :laugh: in the east that year.

also i would suggest you go and find mutombo and call him role player straight to his face.

Really?

The Raptors and Bucks both had good teams that year and I wouldn't exactly say Mutombo was in the prime of his career.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 11:47 PM

And technically, the proper term is 'Allen Iverson sucked', because he is now too sucky to play in the NBA.

Sucky?

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Well he still sucks, he always sucks, he's a bum.

KingOf215
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
This question is irrelevant, since all those sports markets named are the biggest ones in the United States.

MJ would have a similar amount of hype in Philly, Magic a similar amount in Chicago, Ewing similar in LA, and Iverson would be just as big in NY.

People tend to forget Philly is the 5th most populated city in the US, and higher population density than LA.

ManningToTyree
09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Anyway even if there was slightly more hype, AI would have thrived in it. He loved the spotlight, he had a me against the world mentallity. Its part of what made him so great

llemon
09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Really?

The Raptors and Bucks both had good teams that year and I wouldn't exactly say Mutombo was in the prime of his career.

Are you suggesting that Raptors or Bucks were powerhouses?

And although Deke was DPOY that season, the Sixers had the best record in the NBA when Ratliff got hurt.

And Theo certainly couldn't have guarded Shaq any better than Deke did, not that Deke's defense had much effect on Shaq.

JDink24
09-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Are you suggesting that Raptors or Bucks were powerhouses?

And although Deke was DPOY that season, the Sixers had the best record in the NBA when Ratliff got hurt.

And Theo certainly couldn't have guarded Shaq any better than Deke did, not that Deke's defense had much effect on Shaq.

The Bucks were scary that year. Big Dog, Sam Cassell and Ray Allan all were playing out of their minds.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:07 AM
The Bucks were scary that year. Big Dog, Sam Cassell and Ray Allan all were playing out of their minds.

tell me the other two starters, then the bench.

o yeah , a powerhouse.

ALL the greatest players were in the west, Kg, shaq, kobe, webber, duncan etc.

the 5th seed in the west would have won the finals vs any team in the east.

llemon
09-11-2011, 12:13 AM

Glenn, Sammy and Ray had good seasons. Out of their minds seasons.......not so much.

And they had a very good season for a team without much of a Center. But scary......not so much.

And those 52 wins would have gotten the Bucks the 6th seed in the West.

JDink24
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
tell me the other two starters, then the bench.

o yeah , a powerhouse.

ALL the greatest players were in the west, Kg, shaq, kobe, webber, duncan etc.

the 5th seed in the west would have won the finals vs any team in the east.

That's odd because the Sixers (an eastern conference team) were the only team to beat the Lakers in the Playoffs that year.

llemon
09-11-2011, 12:17 AM
That's odd because the Sixers (an eastern conference team) were the only team to beat the Lakers in the Playoffs that year.

They won a game in the Finals? Was there a parade?

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:17 AM

oh, 1 game big deal.
How many Fo Fo Fo have you behold?

pd7631
09-11-2011, 12:34 AM
If Allen Iverson were so bad, and such a bum/loser/whatever you want to call him....then why is he possibly the most beloved athlete in Philadelphia history? Philly fans are regarded as some of the most knowledgeable fans, they will crucify players for being awful. Yet, AI managed to be "a bum", and gain the love of the Philly faithful. Explain that.....please. Oh wait, you can't explain it because you haven't the slightest idea of who Allen Iverson is, and you didn't have the pleasure of seeing him exhibit his greatness night in and night out. Because Allen Iverson is "a thug", and because he didn't shoot the greatest percentage he is instantly the most hated player in the league by non-Sixer fans. We know who the guy is, we witnessed greatness from the man. And knocking the guy for what he did in his MVP season is among the most asinine things I've ever seen.

GoatMilk
09-11-2011, 12:58 AM
lol Philly isn't Milwaukee or Indiana
nothing would have changed. maybe a tad more hype in NY, but it's not like AI didnt have commercials, popular shoes, an MVP, etc

there was a time where you could go to any game and see an AI jersey

Cal827
09-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Really?

:laugh2:....:laugh:... Raptors having a good team.

Joking aside, that was one great series :D

It's amazing that people don't give credit where credit is due. I mean, those Lakers killed their competition in the playoffs. They swept the the one seeded Spurs easy. Also consider that although the east was weaker, Milwaukee had their big 3 with Robinson, Casell and Allen. They also had some pretty role players like Tim Thomas and Jason Caffey.

AI's team had Mutombo, Mckie and Snow. I was semi-shocked that they got by Toronto that year, and was amazed that they passed Milwaukee. Also to be fair, was anybody in the east going to actually beat those Lakers that year? Sub any team for Philly there and they would be swept...bad. Iverson worked very hard to get that one win... then the Lakers became pissed and it was over like that lol

stawka
09-11-2011, 01:14 AM
About the same hype Rose gets

PrettyBoyJ
09-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Iverson had a lot of hype during his Sixers days.. Prob one of the most popular and recognizable player to non NBA fans during the 2000s.. I'd say this if he was in NY they'd prob treat him like Derek Jeter...

SMH!
09-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I think that woulda been the same hype, but possibly more.. But just saying Allen Iverson seems like he is thee MOSST hated player in NBA history, PSD hates him, never any love in any forum for the man

BigEasy1323
09-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Glenn, Sammy and Ray had good seasons. Out of their minds seasons.......not so much.

And they had a very good season for a team without much of a Center. But scary......not so much.

And those 52 wins would have gotten the Bucks the 6th seed in the West

They won a game in the Finals? Was there a parade?

Is the pissing contest over?

Shaq was the 2nd most dominate baller ever (next to the GOAT) that season. AI is forever immrortalized for a) having the biggest back in the world (his whole team was on it that season) & b) being the only man to will himself to take a single game from the 15-1 Lakers

Stop hating, AI is and forever will be a legend

llemon
09-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Shaq was the 2nd most dominate baller ever (next to the GOAT) that season. AI is forever immrortalized for a) having the biggest back in the world (his whole team was on it that season) & b) being the only man to will himself to take a single game from the 15-1 Lakers

Stop hating, AI is and forever will be a legend

AI is a legend, definitely. To some a legendary basketball player.

To others a legendary tale of what a basketball player should not be.

And it was AI who rode the backs of his teammates to the Finals, and to that one Finals victory that has somehow become legendary to his followers.

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:32 PM
AI is a legend, definitely. To some a legendary basketball player.

To others a legendary tale of what a basketball player should not be.

And it was AI who rode the backs of his teammates to the Finals, and to that one Finals victory that has somehow become legendary to his followers.

Tell us how Allen Iverson rode the back of his teammates please do when none of those teammates on the entire teammates averaged over 13 ppg. Tell me when was the last time a team with only one scorer of 13+ ppg made it to the NBA finals. Tell me.

I'm guessing LeBron rode his teammates just like Dirk and Hakeem right? :rolleyes:

Because he wasn't the best defensive player on the best defensive team doesn't mean he rode anyone. The person who's saying that is purely ignorant.

llemon
09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Tell us how Allen Iverson rode the back of his teammates please do when none of those teammates on the entire teammates averaged over 13 ppg. Tell me when was the last time a team with only one scorer of 13+ ppg made it to the NBA finals. Tell me.

Yes, Iverson's teammates defense was what allowed Iverson to be a high-volume, low percentage, playing off his defensive assignment legend.

You are certainly free to feel otherwise, but having watched Iverson for all those many years, you are certainly not going to change my opinion of AI being one of the most selfish players to ever step on an NBA court.

Rocco Gandolfo
09-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Iverson=Marbury. Both wanted the ball more than they wanted to win games. Both had huge attitude problems and both were told "dont let the door smack you on the way out" Players like these two are "wanted" because of their ability, But "hated" because of their attitude. The Gangsta attitudes only fly when you win rings. (and even then its temporary) Niether did. look at the people who are paying big money to watch these games. Not alot of street thugs no matter what Race creed or demographic they are. People want to see great athletes act like human beings. Look at the guys we love to root for. Barkley Big Mouth, but awesome with the fans. Durrant quietly goes about his business. LeBron (Before south beach) Led a small market team to the brink while being a great teammate, Jordan, even non bulls fans respect he guy, his hard work ethic changed the NBA. Rose-Maturity Stat-Always has a smile on his face, Kevin Love- Guy is a selfless rebounder who makes teammates better. Nash-never says a negative word. Robinson and Duncan carbon copies of hard working good guys.

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, Iverson's teammates defense was what allowed Iverson to be a high-volume, low percentage, playing off his defensive assignment legend.

You are certainly free to feel otherwise, but having watched Iverson for all those many years, you are certainly not going to change my opinion of AI being one of the most selfish players to ever step on an NBA court.

That selfishness lead him to having one of the greatest careers in the history of the league despite all that was placed against him.

His offense allowed his teammates to relax on that end of the floor and exert most of their energy on D though they weren't capable offensive players in the very least.

If were using your basic common sense you'd understand that being not only the #1 offensive option but the only real offensive option on any team will automatically hurt your efficiency. Your job is 10 times tougher than someone who actually has help on that end of the floor. You don't see that you see Allen Iverson shooting the ball 40 times in a game and think he's selfish and a horrible player when at the end of the day he made the 3 biggest buckets down the stretch to give his team the narrowest of victories but you're right if he didn't shoot so much to begin with the game would not have been so close right? :rolleyes:

Quite frankly I don't give a flying **** of your opinion of Allen Iverson and neither does he. You are just hating blindly and have no real reason other than pure hate for your dislike of him.

llemon
09-11-2011, 01:21 PM
That selfishness lead him to having one of the greatest careers in the history of the league despite all that was placed against him.

His offense allowed his teammates to relax on that end of the floor and exert most of their energy on D though they weren't capable offensive players in the very least.

If were using your basic common sense you'd understand that being not only the #1 offensive option but the only real offensive option on any team will automatically hurt your efficiency. Your job is 10 times tougher than someone who actually has help on that end of the floor. You don't see that you see Allen Iverson shooting the ball 40 times in a game and think he's selfish and a horrible player when at the end of the day he made the 3 biggest buckets down the stretch to give his team the narrowest of victories but you're right if he didn't shoot so much to begin with the game would not have been so close right? :rolleyes:

Quite frankly I don't give a flying **** of your opinion of Allen Iverson and neither does he. You are just hating blindly and have no real reason other than pure hate for your dislike of him.

Babble on, son.

I'm not going to change your biased opinion.

And you are not going to change mine

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Babble on, son.

I'm not going to change your biased opinion.

And you are not going to change mine

I love how you say biased. Pretty much anyone who has a brain and know how to use it in a reasonable non hatred manner would never say that Allen Iverson sucked.

You hate a man you don't even know and has done nothing to affect you. That is why it would be pointless to even care about your opinion.

llemon
09-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I love how you say biased. Pretty much anyone who has a brain and know how to use it in a reasonable non hatred manner would never say that Allen Iverson sucked.

You hate a man you don't even know and has done nothing to affect you. That is why it would be pointless to even care about your opinion.

Hate? Geez, got no hatred for Iverson. Just a guy with a terrible attitude who made a lot of money because he could put up big numbers.

Don't see what else he was good at besides putting up big numbers.

Perhaps, had he practiced.............

JasonJohnHorn
09-11-2011, 02:29 PM
AI got lots of hype in Philly. He is a big personality. But not winning in NY? That gets you traded fast! Most GMs will trading a score-first PG while his stock is high, rather than building around them, because lets face it, it is not easy to build around a score first PG. It just isn't. I imagine NY's relationship would have been similar to their relationship with Marbury. Without winning, he would have been used as trade bait or offered a buy out. LA... it would have had to have been without Kobe, and considering how well LA has done with Kobe, I can see them doing as well with AI. He likely would have been used as trade bait. Phil Jackson wouldnt have much use for a guy like Iverson in his system. Iverson could have won a title with Shaq, no doubt, but there wouldnt have been as much success as they've had with Kobe.

pd7631
09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Iverson=Marbury. Both wanted the ball more than they wanted to win games. Both had huge attitude problems and both were told "dont let the door smack you on the way out" Players like these two are "wanted" because of their ability, But "hated" because of their attitude. The Gangsta attitudes only fly when you win rings. (and even then its temporary) Niether did. look at the people who are paying big money to watch these games. Not alot of street thugs no matter what Race creed or demographic they are. People want to see great athletes act like human beings. Look at the guys we love to root for. Barkley Big Mouth, but awesome with the fans. Durrant quietly goes about his business. LeBron (Before south beach) Led a small market team to the brink while being a great teammate, Jordan, even non bulls fans respect he guy, his hard work ethic changed the NBA. Rose-Maturity Stat-Always has a smile on his face, Kevin Love- Guy is a selfless rebounder who makes teammates better. Nash-never says a negative word. Robinson and Duncan carbon copies of hard working good guys.

These people you speak of paid big money to see Allen Iverson. The guy was probably the most human athlete there is. He was never afraid to show emotion, he wore his feelings on his sleeves. Before AI the guys with corn rows were the suspects, now you see police officers with braids. Grown white men would show up to Sixer games wearing Iverson jerseys. Don't be so close minded in who YOU think the people want to see. As far as this "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude towards AI you speak of.......the door was never, and will never be closed on Allen Iverson in Philadelphia. Allen Iverson is in my opinion (and many others), the human version of the city of Philadelphia. I'd also like to note that never has a teammate of Allen Iverson's said a negative thing about him.

llemon
09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
AI got lots of hype in Philly. He is a big personality. But not winning in NY? That gets you traded fast! Most GMs will trading a score-first PG while his stock is high, rather than building around them, because lets face it, it is not easy to build around a score first PG. It just isn't. I imagine NY's relationship would have been similar to their relationship with Marbury. Without winning, he would have been used as trade bait or offered a buy out. LA... it would have had to have been without Kobe, and considering how well LA has done with Kobe, I can see them doing as well with AI. He likely would have been used as trade bait. Phil Jackson wouldnt have much use for a guy like Iverson in his system. Iverson could have won a title with Shaq, no doubt, but there wouldnt have been as much success as they've had with Kobe.

In the '00 offseason, Larry Brown traded Allen Iverson to the Pistons to get Jerry Stackhouse back in a 6-to-8 player deal. Matt Geiger refused to waive his trade-kicker clause, and the deal didn't happen.

But Philly (and especially Larry Brown) had no trouble dealing Iverson away.

pd7631
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
In the '00 offseason, Larry Brown traded Allen Iverson to the Pistons to get Jerry Stackhouse back in a 6-to-8 player deal. Matt Geiger refused to waive his trade-kicker clause, and the deal didn't happen.

But Philly (and especially Larry Brown) had no trouble dealing Iverson away.

false

llemon
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
falseSays who?

pd7631
09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Says who?

Says history.

Cal827
09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Says history.

Actually, I've seen some reports on that trade.. Some sources (wikipedia) mention it as well.

Also this piston site mentions it too.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2008/11/3/1216343/the-original-iverson-to-detroit

More specifically:
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2006/12/16/1214921/chad-ford-interviews-joe-dumars

loudif31
09-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Had Iverson played in LA after Magic left (1996), NY (after Ewing was done by 2000) or Chicago (after MJ by 1999) instead of Philly how much hype would he had gotten?

Are you implying that he didn't have hype in Philly? I remember Iverson as the most popular player in the NBA. His jersey was flying off the shelves, he won an MVP and made the finals. The 76'ers were on national TV every week.

llemon
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Says history.

I'm guessing you failed your history classes.

pd7631
09-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm guessing you failed your history classes.

The Sixers were never getting Jerry Stackhouse in that deal. You guessed wrong.

Cal827
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM

According to the site:

The proposed four-way deal, which would have cost Detroit Jerry Stackhouse and Jerome Williams, fell apart at the last second when Matt Geiger, of all people, refused to re-work a trade kicker for the deal to work within the salary cap.

pd7631
09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
According to the site:

Yeah, it was a 4 team deal. Detroit would've lost Stackhouse, but he wasn't going to Philly. The Sixers were gonna end up with Glen Rice, Eddie Jones, and Jerome Williams.

PurpleJesus
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
i dont think he would get that much more hype...philly is the 5th largest market in the US, Chi, LA, and NY are 3, 2, and 1...in NY, he actually probably would get a lot more hype...he would probably be considered the GOAT there...the media loves to make players in NY better than they really are.

naps
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
He would probably be voted a lot higher in those JB all time threads.

llemon
09-11-2011, 05:16 PM

It wasn't a guess.

That's how I read it at the time, back in 2000.

And you now realize that Sixers were very willing to trade Iverson at the time?

Were you following the NBA back in 2000?

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
It wasn't a guess.

I guess you didn't read

Yeah, it was a 4 team deal. Detroit would've lost Stackhouse, but he wasn't going to Philly. The Sixers were gonna end up with Glen Rice, Eddie Jones, and Jerome Williams.

:rolleyes:

llemon
09-11-2011, 05:19 PM
i dont think he would get that much more hype...philly is the 5th largest market in the US, Chi, LA, and NY are 3, 2, and 1...in NY, he actually probably would get a lot more hype...he would probably be considered the GOAT there...the media loves to make players in NY better than they really are.

Geez, NY media never even promoted Bernard King (or Patrick Ewing for that matter) as the GOAT, and Bernard was flat-out ASTOUNDING.

pd7631
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
It wasn't a guess.

Seriously? I was going to 10-15 Sixer games a year since 97'. I remember reading all the Iverson rumors in the paper that summer, and not once was Jerry Stackhouse going to Philly in those articles.

llemon
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I guess you didn't read

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I read.

I read as far as Stackhouse was involved, Sixers wanted Iverson gone, and Geiger killed the deal.

Wasn't really much more for me to be interested in, as the deal was dead when I heard about it.

But I never roll my eyes. That seems to be something you and high school girls like to do.

sventhedog
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
no difference. he would still dribble for 23 seconds of every possession.

Kakaroach
09-11-2011, 08:44 PM
More hype? The dude was the most popular player in the league for a couple years. Its dumb to think that if he went to a bigger market he would have gotten more hype. If Kevin Durant went to a bigger market, he would still have the same hype.

If you're good, people will recognize it. Simple as that.

Raph12
09-12-2011, 01:29 AM
If he played with Shaq in LA, a lot of the criticism towards him would disappear really quickly...

Chronz
09-12-2011, 02:02 AM
If he played with Shaq in LA, a lot of the criticism towards him would disappear really quickly...

Yeah, it would go on Shaq for never winning a title.

JordansBulls
09-12-2011, 04:20 PM

:speechless:

llemon
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
:speechless:

I guess he's saying AI isn't Kobe or Wade.

lakerboy
09-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Imagine AI playing with Shaq. Man, they'd always be fighting.

Swashcuff
09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Imagine AI playing with Shaq. Man, they'd always be fighting.

Why?

llemon
09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Why?

Your having to ask that question says it all.

Swashcuff
09-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Why?

llemon
09-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Why?

One word answer to your one word question.........because.

pd7631
09-12-2011, 11:48 PM
"My man Allen Iverson, I like the way he plays; he's fearless on the court."-Shaq

"He's like a little version of me."-Shaq on AI

I don't know where the idea of them fighting comes from. Especially because AI never once got in a fight with his teammates. He's never thrown a teammate under the bus, and his teammates have never said anything bad about him. By all accounts I've ever heard of read, AI is one of the best teammates out there. Guys love playing with him. Obviously authority figures have their issues with him, but a bad teammate is something that Allen Iverson is not.

pd7631
09-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Your vague answers to everything says it all when it comes to you.

llemon
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
"My man Allen Iverson, I like the way he plays; he's fearless on the court."-Shaq

"He's like a little version of me."-Shaq on AI

I don't know where the idea of them fighting comes from. Especially because AI never once got in a fight with his teammates. He's never thrown a teammate under the bus, and his teammates have never said anything bad about him. By all accounts I've ever heard of read, AI is one of the best teammates out there. Guys love playing with him. Obviously authority figures have their issues with him, but a bad teammate is something that Allen Iverson is not.

"Eddy Curry is the next Shaq"-Shaq on Eddy Curry

pd7631
09-12-2011, 11:59 PM
"Eddy Curry is the next Shaq"-Shaq on Eddy Curry

When did he ever say that?

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Can someone please name one reason why Allen Iverson would not be able to coexist along side Shaquille O'Neal?

pd7631
09-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Can someone please name one reason why Allen Iverson would not be able to coexist along side Shaquille O'Neal?

Because he's a selfish thug :rolleyes:

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Because he's a selfish thug :rolleyes:

So what since Shaq wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement he and A.I. wouldn't get along because A.I. wore baggy clothes? You know what that makes sense. I see what those other guys have been saying all along. :rolleyes:

llemon
09-13-2011, 12:15 AM

I stick by my quotation.

Look it up.

And the fact that you have the slightest doubt that Shaq made that statement proves to me that you know less than squat.

llemon
09-13-2011, 12:16 AM

I stick by my quotation.

Look it up.

And the fact that you have the slightest doubt that Shaq made such a statement proves to me that you know less than squat.

pd7631
09-13-2011, 12:23 AM
I stick by my quotation.

Look it up.

And the fact that you have the slightest doubt that Shaq made such a statement proves to me that you know less than squat.

I have looked it up, can't find it anywhere. Found pretty much the opposite in fact...

He hasnt come close, ONeal says. I dont want to say anything that is going to hurt his feelings, but I dont know what is going on with him. In this league, when youre touted as something and in your mind you dont think youre that, then you either got to put up numbers or you got to play the game.

I was a little big but I was still putting up historical numbers. If he wants to get that next contract hes going to have to go to the New York Athletic Club three times a day and just ride the bike.

And you telling me that I know less than squat is totally worthless coming from you.

llemon
09-13-2011, 01:56 AM
And you telling me that I know less than squat is totally worthless coming from you.

If you felt otherwise, I'd be insulted.

Raph12
09-13-2011, 08:13 PM

No chance, AI showed he could be pretty efficient when he has someone to defer to (when he played with Melo), if AI could refrain from trying to take over and just play the way he did in Denver with Shaq; Shaq wins 3 easy with him...

llemon
09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
No chance, AI showed he could be pretty efficient when he has someone to defer to (when he played with Melo), if AI could refrain from trying to take over and just play the way he did in Denver with Shaq; Shaq wins 3 easy with him...

Possible, but I don't think so, especially the easy part. But we'll never know.

Lim
09-14-2011, 02:26 AM
he fit so perfect in philly. even though their attendance sucks balls nowadays, it is still a pretty big basketball town. and its a hard working town, everyone there loves athletes who give 110% every game, and that is like the definition of lil AI. he was perfect for that town.