PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be better talent in the nba then there was in the 90's??

knicks4life33
09-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I think it will be very difficult for another decade to beat the talent that there was in the 90s and the amount of talent there was in every position and how alot of the teams were competitive. Here are just a few of the 90s players-

michael jordan,pippen,hakeem,drexler,ewing, barkley, robinson,malone,stockton,payton,kemp,rice,mullin,m ourning,reggie miller, rodman,mutombo and there are so many players im forgetting the list is endless

GoPacers33
09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Ya eventually

NYKalltheway
09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
the 80s? :shrug:

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 06:28 PM
if you mean 80s because thats the REAL moment it time when nba was at is peak.
then is hard but attainable ONCE THe sport is COMPLETELY popular around the globe.

tredigs
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I think it will be very difficult for another decade to beat the talent that there was in the 90s and the amount of talent there was in every position and how alot of the teams were competitive. Here are just a few of the 90s players-

michael jordan,pippen,hakeem,drexler,ewing, barkley, robinson,malone,stockton,payton,kemp,rice,mullin,m ourning,reggie miller, rodman,mutombo and there are so many players im forgetting the list is endless

Haha, yes. Shaq comes to mind.

And at some point, yeah. But that was probably the pinnacle thus far.

c0rbz
09-10-2011, 06:30 PM
The 2000's :shrug:?

I keeed

knightstemplar
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
there already is 'arguably'

Bruno
09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
The 2000's shelved off three top ten players of all-time. :shrug:

As far as peak talent is concerned, Shaq Duncan Bryant and James hold their own against any other decades top four.

llemon
09-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe

beasted86
09-10-2011, 07:58 PM
90s was better than the 80s. How many elite caliber PGs were in their prime in the 80s?

Magic, Isiah... and who?
90s: Stockton, Payton, Kidd, K.J., Dumars, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway.

Guys like Mark Price & Mookie Blaylock who weren't exactly elite in the 90s were still better than a lot of the 80s PGs that come to mind like Maurice Cheeks and so forth. It's clear the 80s was stacked with wing players, but the 90s can at least hold it's own with Pippen, Grant Hill, Pierce, Rice, Mullin, and others. That's more star 90s SFs to compete against 80s, than star 80s PGs to compete with 90s PGs.

beasted86
09-10-2011, 08:04 PM
The 2000's shelved off three top ten players of all-time. :shrug:

As far as peak talent is concerned, Shaq Duncan Bryant and James hold their own against any other decades top four.

2000s is not that bad, it just wasn't nearly as good as the 90s as far as talent depth. I think that's what the OPs post was about.

Also you add Shaq to the list like most of his prime years weren't in the 90s. If you are telling me to pick right now whether I have the 1992-1999 version of Shaq, or the 2000-2006 version, it's really no contest.

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
90s was better than the 80s. How many elite caliber PGs were in their prime in the 80s?

Magic, Isiah... and who?

Guys like Mark Price & Mookie Blaylock who weren't exactly elite in the 90s were still better than a lot of the 80s PGs that come to mind like Maurice Cheeks and so forth. It's clear the 80s was stacked with wing players, but the 90s can at least hold it's own with Pippen, Grant Hill, Pierce, Rice, Mullin, and others. That's more star 90s SFs to compete against 80s, than star 80s PGs to compete with 90s PGs.

Dennis Johnson and Gus Williams? :shrug: And Dumars wasn't a PG.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Also you add Shaq to the list like most of his prime years weren't in the 90s. If you are telling me to pick right now whether I have the 1992-1999 version of Shaq, or the 2000-2006 version, it's really no contest.

I'd disagree. Three of Shaqs top four years in PER came in 2000, 2001, and 2002 (the 4th being the 1999 lockout season). Even Shaqs numbers from 2003 trump anything he did in the 90's (excluding the lockout season). When you combine that with the fact that all four of his rings game in the 2000's, I don't see it as much of a debate.

Shaqs most dominant statistical seasons, his most dominant playoff runs and greatest team success came in the 2000's.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

beasted86
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Dennis Johnson and Gus Williams? :shrug: And Dumars wasn't a PG.

Forgot Gus Williams, but D.J. was not elite. Dumars was a combo guard.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 08:26 PM
2000s is not that bad, it just wasn't nearly as good as the 90s as far as talent depth. I think that's what the OPs post was about.

I'd argue that the 2000's had better, or just as good of depth at the PG, SG, SF and PF.

Clearly the 90's dominated the 2000 in regards to center.

beasted86
09-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd disagree. Three of Shaqs top four years in PER came in 2000, 2001, and 2002 (the 4th being the 1999 lockout season). Even Shaqs numbers from 2003 trump anything he did in the 90's (excluding the lockout season). When you combine that with the fact that all four of his rings game in the 2000's, I don't see it as much of a debate.

Shaqs most dominant statistical seasons, his most dominant playoff runs and greatest team success came in the 2000's.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

Part of that increase lies in the truth there were less elite Centers in the early 2000s and going forward. Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutumbo, were past prime or on the decline.

Andrew32
09-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I dunno in the 00's you had Prime Duncan/KG, Prime Wallace Twins, Mourning won DPOY in 00 and Robinson was still pretty good in 99/00.

Mutombo was still a GOAT defender in the early 00's.

There were also a number of elite defensive teams that excelled at defending bigmen like Indiana, Portland.

Ewing wasnt that great, and DRob was a poor playoff performer so the only real loss was Hakeem.

I think the difference in Bigmen talent between the two decades gets overblown.. it wasnt that dramatic.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Part of that increase lies in the truth there were less elite Centers in the early 2000s and going forward. Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Mutumbo, were past prime or on the decline.

While that might be true, the stats are still the stats. Statically speaking, there's no arguing against him peaking from 2000-2002.

I'd argue that it was because Shaq hit his peak (28 years old) in 2000. We normally see a given players peak production around the age of 28.

I'd argue that Ewing and Hakeem were already on the decline in the late 90s. If you'd agree that that's the case then why wasn't Shaq as dominant in 97-98 as he was from 2000-2002? Shaq was great in the 90's too, I just think he peaked in the early 2000's.

MagicBucsSox
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
There's wayyyyy more talent today than any generation.

valade16
09-10-2011, 08:53 PM
While that might be true, the stats are still the stats. Statically speaking, there's no arguing against him peaking from 2000-2002.

I'd argue that it was because Shaq hit his peak (28 years old) in 2000. We normally see a given players peak production around the age of 28.

I'd argue that Ewing and Hakeem were already on the decline in the late 90s. If you'd agree that that's the case then why wasn't Shaq as dominant in 97-98 as he was from 2000-2002? Shaq was great in the 90's too, I just think he peaked in the early 2000's.

Not to mention that age is when most players hit their peak. Olajuwan posted his best scoring seasons at that age and won his titles around that age.

00-02 Shaq might be the most dominant run sans Jordan in NBA history. I'll take 2000s Shaq off those 3 seasons alone.

beasted86
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM

In the west, Shaq was playing against the twin towers in San Antonio in 97-98 , a somewhat relevant Hakeem in Houston, and a formidable combo of Malone and the (always underrated and clowned on) defensive presence of Ostertag in Utah who if I'm not mistaken swept the Lakers that year.

I think that's a key difference. But your point about him possibly peaking has some merit. He peaked at an opportune time though.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
In the west, Shaq was playing against the twin towers in San Antonio in 97-98 , a somewhat relevant Hakeem in Houston, and a formidable combo of Malone and the (always underrated and clowned on) defensive presence of Ostertag in Utah who if I'm not mistaken swept the Lakers that year.

I think that's a key difference. But your point about him possibly peaking has some merit. He peaked at an opportune time though.

Totally. He is the guy who transitioned the league into the 2000's. He was of the perfect age and credential at the turn of the century.

Don't mean to downplay dream or ewing or robinson in the late 90's, only that those guys were pushing their mid 30's on on the physical decline.

Bruno
09-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Not to mention that age is when most players hit their peak. Olajuwan posted his best scoring seasons at that age and won his titles around that age.

00-02 Shaq might be the most dominant run sans Jordan in NBA history. I'll take 2000s Shaq off those 3 seasons alone.

That's how I feel too. But beasted brings up a fair point that Shaq was at the right place and right time. Very lucky, regarding circumstance of his peak and competition at his position.

beasted86
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Totally. He is the guy who transitioned the league into the 2000's. He was of the perfect age and credential at the turn of the century.

Don't mean to downplay dream or ewing or robinson in the late 90's, only that those guys were pushing their mid 30's on on the physical decline.

Yeah, I understand that, but like I said, they were still factors for most of the 90s. By 2001, basically the dominant Center was dead outside of Shaq. I'd go as far as saying in 2001 there was only 1 elite Center in the NBA. Mutumbo was still a high quality defender, but no longer elite overall IMO. When a 34 yr old Mutumbo is the 2nd best Center in the NBA, and either Ben Wallace or 35 yr old D-Rob is 3rd best.... that's kinda sad. That's all I'm saying.

Even if Shaq peaked at 28, I feel his prime was still 21-32, so I still maintain most of his prime was in the 90s.

Korman12
09-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes, it's not like the NBA won't exist two decades from now. Eventually, inevitably, there will be one.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Magic/Wilkes/Scott/worhty/Kareem/Ac Green/Rambis/Nixon/mcadoo/Thompson
Kevin Johnson/Ainge/Hornacek/Chambers/Alvan Adams/Walter Davis
/Sampson/Tisdale/Harper/Hardaway/Mullins/Barry Carroll/Eaton/Karl Malone/Stockton/Griffith/Bailey/Dantley/Schrempf/Perkins/Ellis/Mcmillan/MCdaniel/E Johnson/D Johnson/English/D THompson/Natt/Lever/Vandewhege/Issell/Porter/Drexler/
Robinson/Gervin/Gilmore/Moore/Cummings/Elliott/Strickland/Floyd/Hakeem/Maxwell/Aguirre/Tarpley/Blackman/ D Harper/Donaldson/Brickkowsky/R Pierce/ SIkma/ Pressey/Moncrief/Nance/Daugherty/Price/Ehlo/ Pippen/Oakley/Grant7Woolrdige/M Jordan/Cartwright/Paxon/Hodges/ Thomas/ V Johnson/ Dumars/ Lambieer/Mahorn/ Rodman/ Kellog/fleming/R miller/Smits/Person/Mcginnis/D Wilkins/Theus/Moses malone/Rivers/Willis/Elvin hayes/Wes Unseld/Cowens/Bird/Mchale/Archibald/Parish/Walton/ Beranrd King/ albert King/ Ewing/ M jackson / Buck Williams/ Dr J /barkley/Cheeks/ Bobby Jones/

all of them played either their prime, their first o their last years in the 80s

LakersMaster24
09-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Magic, Isiah... and who?

Why are you just comparing PG's? When you look at the overall picture, the 80's had a lot more talent.

80's had Wilkins, Drexler, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Worthy, McHale, Parish, Isiah, Alex English, Dr J...etc. (Jordan Ewing Malone and Hakeem can also be included in the 80's...)

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Why are you just comparing PG's? When you look at the overall picture, the 80's had a lot more talent.

80's had Wilkins, Drexler, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Worthy, McHale, Parish, Isiah, Alex English, Dr J...etc. (Jordan Ewing Malone and Hakeem can also be included in the 80's...)

they by all means SHOULD since they player half or a bit more than half the decade.

69centers
09-10-2011, 11:39 PM

Agreed. I really thought this thread was a joke or something. The 90's were so boring I never want to see that NBA decade again. 80's talent was better.

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 11:46 PM
We should start a top 10 of each decade project. Would be interesting to see when players like MJ, Shaq, Kareem, Barkley etc are being argued for multiple decades. This however should not be an open poll but rather a select few posters. A poll would just result in a popularity contest IMO.

69centers
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Hakeem was a better rebounder in the 80's, but a better scorer in the 90's when he won his titles.

Kareem was a better scorer and rebounder in the 70's, however won 5 of his 6 titles in the 80's.

Hellcrooner
09-10-2011, 11:53 PM
We should start a top 10 of each decade project. Would be interesting to see when players like MJ, Shaq, Kareem, Barkley etc are being argued for multiple decades. This however should not be an open poll but rather a select few posters. A poll would just result in a popularity contest IMO.

theres a problem with that, it would require only OLDER posters to vote.

and its fairly Difficult to find posters with enough age to make a realistical vote about the 70s ( would need to be over 45 years old)

and not many of us do REALLY know the 80s ( i can only speak HALf that decade 85 on, Hawkeye onlyt took interest 88 on with the coming of the wolves etc etc)

Obviously 0 chance to have a realistic impression of 50s and 60s. No grandadys in the forum.

Evolution23
09-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Well there will never be another Jordan but it's possible that in this decade we might see a higher volume of superstars so lets just wait and see.

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:00 AM
theres a problem with that, it would require only OLDER posters to vote.

and its fairly Difficult to find posters with enough age to make a realistical vote about the 70s ( would need to be over 45 years old)

and not many of us do REALLY know the 80s ( i can only speak HALf that decade 85 on, Hawkeye onlyt took interest 88 on with the coming of the wolves etc etc)

Obviously 0 chance to have a realistic impression of 50s and 60s. No grandadys in the forum.

So you think that younger posters have the ability to read? I think I can formulate an accurate enough impression of the early days of the league if I do ample research and be thorough about it. There is many that we can all learn from such a project.

The other forum did a retro player project and many of their voters aren't very old. They however did a great job of doing their research. If we here can do the same I see no reason why we can't put together a respectable enough list.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:03 AM
So you think that younger posters have the ability to read? I think I can formulate an accurate enough impression of the early days of the league if I do ample research and be thorough about it. There is many that we can all learn from such a project.

The other forum did a retro player project and many of their voters aren't very old. They however did a great job of doing their research. If we here can do the same I see no reason why we can't put together a respectable enough list.

because people wouldnt do enough research, think it this way W Bellamy still ISNT included in the poll for the top 50 ever.
dolph schayes has not yet received a single vote.
tells you all you need to know.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Well there will never be another Jordan but it's possible that in this decade we might see a higher volume of superstars so lets just wait and see.
because espn or nike say so?

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:06 AM
because people wouldnt do enough research, think it this way W Bellamy still ISNT included in the poll for the top 50 ever.

A project will generate the interest of those posters. That should give them motivation enough to do the research. In cased you haven't noticed many of the better posters are noticeably absent from those polls.

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:08 AM

Dude get your agenda out of here man. You're getting really redundant.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:08 AM
A project will generate the interest of those posters. That should give them motivation enough to do the research. In cased you haven't noticed many of the better posters are noticeably absent from those polls.

then who decides who is knowleadgable and who isnt?

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
then who decides who is knowleadgable and who isnt?

Chronz though with he ego he may just choose himself and no one else :laugh:

Seriously though we can set up a nomination/selection panel of some sort. The better posters around these parts know each other.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Chronz though with he ego he may just choose himself and no one else :laugh:

Seriously though we can set up a nomination/selection panel of some sort. The better posters around these parts know each other.

problem is that being knowleadgeable does not = being popular or reconginzed

As an example Nykalltheway leaving appart some strambotic opinions ( kobe not top 20 :p) is really knowleadgeable.

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
problem is that being knowleadgeable does not = being popular or reconginzed

As an example Nykalltheway leaving appart some strambotic opinions ( kobe not top 20 :p) is really knowleadgeable.

I argued with him more than anyone else on here about that very topic and in many posts I told him I respect his knowledge and think he's one of the best posters on here. Especially when we're speaking of the league's history. You also fall into the NYKalltheway category (Pau being better than Dirk up until 3 months ago). Though I think llemon is a complete and total d**** I'd also agree he's quite knowledgeable. Like I said before we know each other though some will be less open to admit it than others however.

Evolution23
09-11-2011, 12:34 AM

No cause I said so

knicks4life33
09-11-2011, 12:42 AM
show your support and request me as future mod.

PrettyBoyJ
09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
This decade has its share of talent.. I think the 90s where deep at Center more and a few dominant PF.. Big Man own the 90s along with Jordan.. This generation have a few star of its own and a few promising ones as well

Hawkeye15
09-11-2011, 01:57 AM

why do you keep repeating this? No, its because there has never been a more dominant player statistically, and in reality, than Michael Jordan. Period.

LakersMaster24
09-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Honestly there shouldnt even be a question regarding who is the greatest NBA player of all time? I mean come on...even if Nike and ESPN did not exist, we would still call MJ the GOAT.

Now will there be another MJ? Someone who surpasses him? Sure, maybe. We just have to wait and see.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Honestly there shouldnt even be a question regarding who is the greatest NBA player of all time? I mean come on...even if Nike and ESPN did not exist, we would still call MJ the GOAT.

Now will there be another MJ? Someone who surpasses him? Sure, maybe. We just have to wait and see.

I honestly don't see anyone in the current crop.

LakersMaster24
09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
I honestly don't see anyone in the current crop.

I didn't mean the players currently in the NBA, :p I ment a player who is yet to be in the NBA. Maybe its some kid in a small US town, we never heard about before.

You know what I mean?

Hawkeye15
09-11-2011, 03:05 AM
I didn't mean the players currently in the NBA, :p I ment a player who is yet to be in the NBA. Maybe its some kid in a small US town, we never heard about before.

You know what I mean?

well basically that is what I am saying. LeBron has the numbers, but has failed on the same stages. Kobe has the rings, but doesn't stack up statistically. I just don't see any current players with the talent on both sides of the ball. But there may be someone who emerges. Looking forward to it

LakersIn5
09-11-2011, 06:49 AM

then vote for him then :eyebrow:

MTar786
09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
people downplay the 2000's way too much

shaq,kobe,duncan,kg,wade,lebron.iverson,kidd,payto n,carter,tmac,dwight,yao,paul,williams,nash,dirk,a mare,melo,pierce,allen,webber,peja,durant,westbroo k,rose,sheed, gasol,billups,ginobli, parker,artest,jermaine oneal etc...

jericho
09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
well while the 80s and 90s is a flip a coin eather 1 can easly beat the 00s easly i like more the 00s cuz they have the best dunker in the game ever but they cant compare to the physicality and the defense they played back then the players were hungrier they played harder
just to compare some people in no order what so ever
pg magic/stockton/paul
(a lot of people underate stockton)
sg drexler/jordan/kobe
(while we cld put jordan in the 80s 2 ill put him in the 90s just to be fair to other players)
Sf bird/pippen/bron
pf barkley/malone/duncan
c kareem/hakeem/shaq
some might say is even but when we got to the bench thats what wld make the diff

JordansBulls
09-11-2011, 09:39 AM
For the 90's Decade you had to be the best player in the league to win the title and win finals mvp and top 3 to win league mvp.

jericho
09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
just 2 name a few players of the 90s
jordan/pippen/rodman/malone/stockton/payton/kemp/barkley/kidd/k.johnson/drexler/hakeem/d.robinson/ewing/shaq/penny/mourning/tim hardaway/mullin/c-webb/miller/mutombo/hill/houston/sprewell/cassel
i know im missing better players but all these guys wld destroy the 00s

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
why do you keep repeating this? No, its because there has never been a more dominant player statistically, and in reality, than Michael Jordan. Period.

the dude was saying no one will ever surpass jordan.

wich is ridiculous.
plain and simply.
it may take 10, 30 years, or 50 but someone will.

jericho
09-11-2011, 10:52 AM

wich is ridiculous.
plain and simply.

m with you on this it may be difficult to believe but there will be always somebody thats better than the other 1
example
1st the league belong to jerry west then came russel and chamberlain then dr j after that it was magic & bird and then mj

we all know that there will be somebody better than mj he just hasnt shown up yet

Swashcuff
09-11-2011, 10:56 AM

wich is ridiculous.
plain and simply.

Crooner he never said that he said they'd never be another Jordan, just like they'll never be another Magic.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Crooner he never said that he said they'd never be another Jordan, just like they'll never be another Magic.

then he was wrong again, you got jordan farmar, De andre Jordan and whatever .

And there must be some Michael Jeffrey Jordan on his way to nba too, i mean, a ton of Jordans in America may have used the name in the last 20 years to name their kids.

ne3xchamps
09-11-2011, 11:04 AM
probably not. These new age prima donnas are nothing like the 90's, forget about the 80's.

ne3xchamps
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
well while the 80s and 90s is a flip a coin eather 1 can easly beat the 00s easly i like more the 00s cuz they have the best dunker in the game ever but they cant compare to the physicality and the defense they played back then the players were hungrier they played harder
just to compare some people in no order what so ever
pg magic/stockton/paul
(a lot of people underate stockton)
sg drexler/jordan/kobe
(while we cld put jordan in the 80s 2 ill put him in the 90s just to be fair to other players)
Sf bird/pippen/bron
pf barkley/malone/duncan
c kareem/hakeem/shaq
some might say is even but when we got to the bench thats what wld make the diff

I'm pretty sure no one underrated stockton. I agree with what you are saying. the case closed argument is the original "dream team" of the 92 olympics. That team was and will be the most epic team ever assembled. I watched that olympic team that summer. they were hardly breaking a sweat and blowing other teams out by an average of 60-70 points a game.

/close thread

sheba021
09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
the 80s? :shrug:
:laugh2: :clap:

sheba021
09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
nm

Chronz
09-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Lol wut? The mid 90s were weak, back then all you needed to win was a single star, nowadays you need several just to make the playoffs.

No era was weaker than the 70s though. Unless you consider pure parity a strength.

mttwlsn16
09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
nope. never. not possible.

jericho
09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
nope. never. not possible.

really man idc who you replying to i just love your sig :drool:

lilojmayo
09-11-2011, 01:36 PM
yes it will be

knicks4life33
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
lol wut? The mid 90s were weak, back then all you needed to win was a single star, nowadays you need several just to make the playoffs.

No era was weaker than the 70s though. Unless you consider pure parity a strength.

the mid 90's was weak? Then you obvisouly didnt follow basketball then and the 90s decade is better then this decade and the the talent was spread out everywhere in the 90s thats what made it great and your totally false you needed 1 star to win cause the talent was much deeper.

Andrew32
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM
90's VS 00's

Hakeem | Duncan
Jordan | Wade
Shaq | Shaq (lol)
umm...
David Robinson | Kevin Garnett
John Stockton | Steve Nash
Gary Payton | Jason Kidd

Ewing | Yao
Glen Rice | Ray Allen

jericho
09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
the mid 90's was weak? Then you obvisouly didnt follow basketball then and the 90s decade is better then this decade and the the talent was spread out everywhere in the 90s thats what made it great and your totally false you needed 1 star to win cause the talent was much deeper.

this nothing more but this i cld take anybody from charles oakley larry johnson or starks from the knicks squad and they wld be star quality in todays game

NYKalltheway
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Actually, as much as I love Oakley and grandmama, they would barely make any rotation these days. Larry Johnson could for sure, be a 6th man at best, but Oakley was nothing more than a dynamic PF which was something you found ofter on teams back then (Rodman, Buck Williams etc). You don't see that kind anymore because the game has changed and those guys would get fouled out after 3 minutes...

JordansBulls
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Lol wut? The mid 90s were weak, back then all you needed to win was a single star, nowadays you need several just to make the playoffs.

This is a joke. You can get the best record in the league with one star on your team that is not top 3. You can also win 65+ games with only 1 star on the team. 2007 Mavs.

Chronz
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM

You obviously haven't seen basketball since the turn of the century.

Talent was spread out? That's why Drob could win 50+ games with no other star besides him or the Hawks with Danny freaking Manning leading them. If the talent was spread out, it was spread out too thin.

Chronz
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a joke. You can get the best record in the league with one star on your team that is not top 3. You can also win 65+ games with only 1 star on the team. 2007 Mavs.

Sure if you surround that 1 star with the best defensive support in the league.

LOL at it being a joke when you yourself have admitted how weak the Hawks were in an attempt to justify the Bulls winning 5 less games without MJ.
But as always your selective bias prevents any sort of consistency with your analysis.

Chronz
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Early 90s was great but rapid expansion diluted the league.

Still we should think of a way to measure this "talent", in either event anyone acting like its much different is kidding themselves.

PurpleJesus
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
there already is, and has been more talent in the NBA than the 90's

Kobe, Lebron, KG, Duncan, Shaq, Pierce, Allen, Wade, Nash, Paul, DWill, Amare, Melo, Rondo, Durant, Dirk, Dwight, Rose...the list goes on and on of guys who are still in the NBA, and hit their prime outside of the 90's...ones bolded are ones who could end up being considered top 25 player of all time by the time their career is done.

its ridiculous how much more talented the league is, and continues to get...the thing that is missing from the NBA that existed in the 80's and 90's is the GOAT, the rivalries, and the passion....the talent has far been exceeded...unfortunately though, there is no reggie miller vs spike lee, larry bird vs magic, bulls vs utah

Chronz
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I just looked it up, those 57 win Hawks weren't led by Manning, my fault but he was their go to option after they traded Nique.

When was the last time a team was able to win 57 games with a Manning as a go to option. That's a slightly watered down era IMO. They had decent talent but not a 57 win team today to me.

Dolfan305
09-11-2011, 05:23 PM
00's were really good. Shaq, Kobe, duncan, Dirk, Lebron, Wade, Howard. Iverson, carter, mcgrady, durant, carmelo etc.

Hellcrooner
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Early 90s was great but rapid expansion diluted the league.

Still we should think of a way to measure this "talent", in either event anyone acting like its much different is kidding themselves.

shhhhh, you dont want jordanbulls to read that , he will rapidly post the "magic wouldnt have played for bulls" link and then attack the first 80s league, because "lakers faced teams in c finals that didnt reach to 40 wins"..... :D

Evolution23
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
then he was wrong again, you got jordan farmar, De andre Jordan and whatever .

And there must be some Michael Jeffrey Jordan on his way to nba too, i mean, a ton of Jordans in America may have used the name in the last 20 years to name their kids.

are u serious?