PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves, Adelman, near deal (Hoopsworld)

Hawkeye15
09-10-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/timberwolves-adelman-near-deal/

For months now the Minnesota Timberwolves have been looking to fill their vacant head coaching position, and now it looks like they will finally get it done.

After waiting until well into the head coach hiring frenzy to part ways with Kurt Rambis, the Timberwolves found themselves in the unenviable position of having to leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of a new coach, a search that included such names as Larry Brown, Sam Mitchell and Don Nelson. It wasnít until the possibility that Nelson might just be next for Minnesota arose (much to the chagrin of many of team president David Kahnís advisers) that former Houston Rockets head coach Rick Adelman came into the picture.

From that moment on it was a solitary pursuit.

Adelman is as close to a perfect fit as the Timberwolves could hope to find, though in truth he was hoping for a situation where he might compete for a championship sooner rather than later. His success with young players is one of his strongest attributes, and he has also had a great deal of success helping international players adapt their games to the NBA.

For the Timberwolves, who have plenty of young players and who have staked much of their future success on the growth and development of Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, Adelman could turn out to be the one who returns to the team to respectability . . .at long last.

Sources close to the situation told HOOPSWORLD that Adelman is expected to reach a contract agreement with the Timberwolves next week.

Obviously as a Wolves fan, I am very happy with this hire. Rubio, Derrick Williams, and Rick Adelman are the best offseason they have had since 2003. Lets get this lockout over with, please...

movepac15
09-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Great move by the wolves. Adelman is one of the greatest coaches, but underrated. He'd probably be considered one of the all-time greats if the refs/NBA didn't steal a championship from his kings in 2002. Great coach and class guy. I want to see the wolves succeed with him.

Gators123
09-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Great hire, if it goes through.

Hawkeye15
09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Adelman is rumored to want 5 years guaranteed, and $4.5-5 million a year. I think that is the only holdup. But if Taylor is serious about improving the team, he must make the right call and hire Adelman, who has proven to be a good coach to young players, internationals, and mix and match lineups with players with perceived overlapping skillsets like he did in Houston, and get wins.

fadedmario
09-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Great pickup - that team is one of my favorites outside of Detroit - Playoffs next year.

DerekRE_3
09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
If they can get it done it would be great for the Wolves. I'm kind of surprised he's serious about coaching again. I thought he'd either retire or get a job in a front office.

NYman15
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Great move for Wolves. Great, veteran coach who can handle all the young kids. And he gets the most out of his players, I'm excited to see what he can do with some of the young guys.

SteBO
09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree with those who've commented here already. The Wolves are making the right move hiring Adelman.

valade16
09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Great pickup - that team is one of my favorites outside of Detroit - Playoffs next year.

In the west? Not next year...

chicago lulz
09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Solid hire if it goes through, as mentioned. Adelman is the ****.

Sadds The Gr8
09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
surprising that he'd go to a rebuilding team but that'd be a nice signing for them.

Foye
09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm trying to not get excited right here considering the source is only Hoopsworld.

That would be an excellent hiring for our team, though.

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
When I read the thread title I didn't even look at the author but my first thought is that Hawkeye15 is going to be ecstatic. He's been lobbying for this for quite some time. Solid hire IMO.

Swashcuff
09-10-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/timberwolves-adelman-near-deal/

Obviously as a Wolves fan, I am very happy with this hire. Rubio, Derrick Williams, and Rick Adelman are the best offseason they have had since 2003. Lets get this lockout over with, please...

Well the off season isn't over as yet. Hell it's barely even begun, lets hope they can keep adding positively from here on out.

DamnGoat
09-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Good move for the Wolves. They obviously have some talent there and having a coach like Adelman may be what they need to take the next step.

Chronz
09-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I guess you gotta take what's available but they keep hiring coaches with systems and fire them before the results are felt. Is the princeton system really any good for Rubio?

I used to stand up for Adelman but he really didn't do much in Houston.

Sadds The Gr8
09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I guess you gotta take what's available but they keep hiring coaches with systems and fire them before the results are felt. Is the princeton system really any good for Rubio?

damn i never thought of that

kntresistheheat
09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I called this a while back when they fired Kevin. :) He is the perfect choice for that team!

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I heard their ownership mirco-manages and that that is the reason coaches have had a hard time there. I dunno if that's true, but if they hire Adleman, they better give him a free reign, because the dude knows what he's doing. He'll bring a title to that team if they can keep their core and imrpove with free agency.

Kevin Love running the high-pick-roll with a point guard that can dish and get to the basket would be unstoppable! Minny fans better hope Rubio is all he's supposed to be cracked up to be, and that he gets his @$$ state-side FAST!

DerekRE_3
09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

In theory it's great for Kevin Love.

Chronz
09-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Love fits anywhere that's for sure but yeah I like him in that system.

da ThRONe
09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
If true this should be a good signing for a team that has some pieces on place.

ElmerJFudd
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
why coach the wolves after leaving the rockets?

I thought his mindset was a winning a championship, he should of been a front runner for the LA job

NBA_Starter
09-10-2011, 10:18 PM
This has the makings of an interesting union.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2011, 01:19 AM

Rambis's system was a fail from the beginning. He wanted to introduce elements of the triangle, yet he had zero understanding of how to run a team with less talent than the Lakers.

Adelman is the best available coach in a landslide. Say what you like about his work in Houston, but he took massive injuries to some of his better players, and was also able to get lineups on the floor that had perceived overlapping skillsets and positions, something important in the Williams/Beasley situation. He has also been fairly good in getting euro's to adapt.

Any system that will allow Rubio to show off his passing ability, and a system with high pace, will be good for him.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Love will absolutely kill it in Adelman's offense btw Chronz. He is built for the Brad Miller role, only he is a far superior player even now than Miller ever was.

MinVikesFan
09-11-2011, 01:50 AM
I haven't heard much about adelman because I'm a college student and haven't paid too much attention to NBA until about freshman year of high school, but he sounds better than rambis. I'm excited to see this deal get done. The wolves need some change. I just wish there was no lockout...

ewmania
09-11-2011, 01:53 AM
this is really good move by t-wolves... this guy has been top 10 in offense and defense and that's exactly what t-wolves are lacking

now with rubio these guys will make some noise in the west

love, rubio, beasley, anthony Randolph , doesn't look too bad right there

John Walls Era
09-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Kevin Love has to like this.

Punk
09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
surprising that he'd go to a rebuilding team but that'd be a nice signing for them.

They aren't rebuilding anymore. It's about winning now.

Chronz
09-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Rambis's system was a fail from the beginning. He wanted to introduce elements of the triangle, yet he had zero understanding of how to run a team with less talent than the Lakers.
Maybe, maybe it was the talent moreso than the triangle.

Adelman is the best available coach in a landslide.
Well yeah I admitted as much but thinking about it, that depends on who's available. I don't know if JVG is available but he likely wouldn't go to Minny.

Say what you like about his work in Houston, but he took massive injuries to some of his better players,
So?

and was also able to get lineups on the floor that had perceived overlapping skillsets and positions
Like who?

, something important in the Williams/Beasley situation. He has also been fairly good in getting euro's to adapt.
How did he get this perception anyways? Adapt to what, living in the US, his system? Id like to see some testimonial evidence if you have any, I just find it ironic that the man who didn't know what to do with Drazen has this rep.

Any system that will allow Rubio to show off his passing ability, and a system with high pace, will be good for him.
So then why hire Adelman?

Byronicle
09-11-2011, 02:17 PM
great, wolves future is looking awesome. i was hoping for raptors to acquire this guy

princeton system involves lots of passing no? rubio is a pass-hungry point guard plus you got Love who is a bigman that can pass

adelman had a broken yao ming, a tmac in decline but his coaching brought the best out of many many players, i.e. hayes, scola, landry, and buddinger and even with an injured riddled team he found ways to win, that says something

Chronz
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
princeton system involves lots of passing no? rubio is a pass-hungry point guard plus you got Love who is a bigman that can pass
It involves lots of shooting and Rubio can't shoot. Im JK but its not that simple, you can't pass unless you have the ball. The system takes the ball out of the PG hands and places an emphasis on high post passing. Its better than the triangle for him but Im just saying its not going to maximize a non shooter/scorer.

Love should fit in perfectly unless his passing ability is overstated.

adelman had a broken yao ming, a tmac in decline but his coaching brought the best out of many many players,
His coaching had nothing to do with it, hes not exactly a rah rah inspirational type of guy. I saw the same level of effort in those players before Adelman, all I saw Adelman do was take Yao out of his comfort level.

i.e. hayes, scola, landry, and buddinger and even with an injured riddled team he found ways to win, that says something
Yeah that they improved the supporting cast. I will say that eventually Hayes picked up the offense and began to thrive under it but it will take time.

I actually like Darko and Love in the offense if they stick with it, just not Rubio.

iggypop123
09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
adelman is perfect for that team. he does well with bigs. the love darco combo will benefit from his offense. strange to think adelman who wanted the lakers job lost it to a guy who everyone hates and adleman then gets hired by the team with the worst record

Kakaroach
09-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Love this hire if it works out. Adelman is the best coach available no doubt. Still not sure why Houston fired him, but this should work out great in Minny. He has a lot of young talent to work with there as well.