PDA

View Full Version : Will Curry Help The Heat?

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2011, 11:15 AM
When the free agency period starts (and I believe it will start soon), the Heat have some issues to address. It could be argued that the Heat over-achieved last season. With gaping holes at both center and PG, the Heat will have to improve in order to repeat their finals appearance. Having drafted a PG in the first round, and likley having options like Chambers and Bibby still at their disposal, the Heat will likely have at least a solid PG rotation, and one that can at least tread water in the post season, even if they don't win that position, and with guys like Bosh and Haslem filling out the PF rotation, and Wade, James and Miller splitting most of the minutes at SF ans SG, the Heat will likely win all three of those positions in any match-up against any team in the league. So the question is: What about center? Joel Anthony is a servicable back-up, Jamal M. didn't end up offering much last season, and Big Z, even if he returns, is not likely to post many minutes at center, and with some great big men playing in the East (lead by Howard of course, but Horford, Bogut, Noah, Hibbert (perhaps I give Hibbert too much credit, but dude has some real potential and has been getting better every season), and potential finals match-ups against the likes of Bynum and Chandler, it seems that the Heat will have to be able to do more than just tread water at the center position, most especially because they will likely be out-matched at the PG rotation and will need interior help to pick PGs that break through the perimiter (Rondo, D-Will, Rose, CP3 -though a CP3 finals match up is unlikely- Rondo and several other quality point guards that have the ability to break ankles. A recent article ( http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2011/09/miami-heat-free-agent-focus-eddy-curry.html ), coupled with rumours, work-outs last season and Curry's recent weight loss, seem to suggest that Eddy Curry has a real chance of earning the MLE in a Heat jersey next year. But Curry work ethic has always been a question, as has his talent, defence and rebounding, all key componenets of the center position that the Heat are in dire need of. So the question is: Is Curry the answer for the Heat's hole at center? I think it seems obvious as to what my answer would be (NO!), but I'm curious as to what fans in general think of this potential pairing. Fans from Chi-town and NY likely know the holes in Curry's game better than anybody, but Heat fans may soon be the next group to be disapointed by the disparity between potential and productiviety that exist the enimga that is Eddy Curry.

Would he help the Heat? Hurt them? Or ultimately end up serving as an expensive piece of furniture sitting at the end of the bench? And if he isn't the answer, who is the man (or men) that could fill the hole at center for the Heat?

gwrighter
09-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Curry won't push the heat over the top. lol there are better options @ C. I think Kwame Brown would be better suited for this role & could actually provide a decent impact. He's carved out a nice niche over in Charlotte that I believe he can sustain or even improve on in south beach given the level of talent that would surround him.

theheatles
09-10-2011, 11:22 AM
in pat riley, i trust

MiamiWadeCounty
09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think he will help the Heat much, but I doubt he could hurt them either. Our C rotation is so bad, that he couldn't be much worse. I love Joel Anthony but he has a tough time catching the ball on offense and finishing, which allows other centers to either shadow towards Bosh or just focus on Lebron and Wade on the perimeter solely. If we have the MLE available we could use a guy like Dalembert, but for vet min. I am fine with giving Curry a chance.

LakersIn5
09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
eddy curry is so underated. lebron-wade-bosh then add eddy curry would still be as good or even better than last years heat so it really wont make the heat any worse the best is they become better

and remember the heat made the finals last season so it doesnt mean that they need to tweak their team that much since they are already close to winning the championship last year.

meloman1592
09-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Heat forum

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
eddy curry is so underated. lebron-wade-bosh then add eddy curry would still be as good or even better than last years heat so it really wont make the heat any worse the best is they become better

and remember the heat made the finals last season so it doesnt mean that they need to tweak their team that much since they are already close to winning the championship last year.

The Heat were great last year, but teams that don't improve get passed by. I'm not sure Curry is the guy that helps them make up the difference between Conference champ and NBA champ. It seemed to me that what they needed was defence and rebounding at C, and Curry has always underachieved at both. The Heat are a solid rebounding team because LBJ, Miller and D-Wade rebound well for their positions, but they already have a post scorer in Bosh (and Haslem), they don't need one @ C as desperately as they need a rebounder to ease the rebounding load on their perimiter players, and a defender to pick up PGs driving the lane. A guy like Noah or Chandler would put them over the top, I think Curry leaves them pretty much where they are and that Joel Anthony would end up getting most of the minutes at C. Curry seems to be to be a roll of the dice, or a hail-Mary pass, and I believe that looking for a guy who isn't as big a name but has a niche as a rebounding defender would be a bigger help for the Heat than Curry.

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Curry won't push the heat over the top. lol there are better options @ C. I think Kwame Brown would be better suited for this role & could actually provide a decent impact. He's carved out a nice niche over in Charlotte that I believe he can sustain or even improve on in south beach given the level of talent that would surround him.

Kwambe Brown? Interesting idea. That could actually work out very well for both the Heat and Kwambe. If the Heat sign him, you should get a finder's fee ;-)

Heater4life
09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
A recent article ( http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2011/09/miami-heat-free-agent-focus-eddy-curry.html ), coupled with rumours, work-outs last season and Curry's recent weight loss, seem to suggest that Eddy Curry has a real chance of earning the MLE in a Heat jersey next year.

There is no way Eddy Curry gets MLE from the Miami Heat. The only reason Eddy is being consider is

A) Riley has a great track record for working and developing good players at the center positon.

B) He (Curry) has made great efforts into Pat Riley shape, not just your typical dropping pounds and play ball. From everything poured by the media (as unreliable as it may be) Curry has been working hard to make the Heat roster. Poor work ethic is something this team will not tolerate, so its clear, you work hard or you go home.

C) Low risk, high reward. For all the things Curry has gone through/inflicted upon himself, He still only 28 years old. Hes is a big guy (im refering to his frame when in shape :D ) who can physically guard big centers. For the minimum it is worth it for the Heat. It beats having Magloire, Howard, or Zeke which offer nothing more the degrading bodies.

1-800-STFU
09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Curry will help the local Burger Kings business out.

Thats about it

DaBUU
09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
He'll help their caterer stay in business

(haha, did not see your post 1-800)

Sadds The Gr8
09-10-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE

Heater4life
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
The Heat were great last year, but teams that don't improve get passed by. I'm not sure Curry is the guy that helps them make up the difference between Conference champ and NBA champ. It seemed to me that what they needed was defence and rebounding at C, and Curry has always underachieved at both. The Heat are a solid rebounding team because LBJ, Miller and D-Wade rebound well for their positions, but they already have a post scorer in Bosh (and Haslem), they don't need one @ C as desperately as they need a rebounder to ease the rebounding load on their perimiter players, and a defender to pick up PGs driving the lane. A guy like Noah or Chandler would put them over the top, I think Curry leaves them pretty much where they are and that Joel Anthony would end up getting most of the minutes at C. Curry seems to be to be a roll of the dice, or a hail-Mary pass, and I believe that looking for a guy who isn't as big a name but has a niche as a rebounding defender would be a bigger help for the Heat than Curry.

Although the Heat need interior rebounding Joel Anthony provided great defensive rotations, where he was lacking was in low post play due to his size. On offense Joel was inept and a liability. He allowed rotations to come earlier and stronger due to his inability to finish.

Our backups Z and Damp, are just to old and slow to play our rotation defense effectively. They allowed pentrating PG to do as they wish and arrived late on every play.

What we need is a happy medium. Can rotate on defense, quickly and decisively and on offense can catch and finish, alley oops, little low post hooks. Thats it.

Thats why i think Dalembert would be a great fit.

29$JerZ
Take it from a Knick fan who endured the majority of his service here
He still can't rebound and definitely won't be much help on defense unless you value a big body in the post

He hasn't played meaningful basketball in years, is in debt and whenever he seems to start turning his life around with losing weight He gets injured and fat again. Miami should not expect much if they sign him.

Ezio
I thought this was about Stephan Curry not the fat mofo trying to get in shape.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-10-2011, 12:09 PM
mark my words....he will never play in an nba game again.

gotoHcarolina52
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Curry will help the local Burger Kings business out.

Thats about it

Makes perfect sense--Burger King is actually headquartered in Miami.

http://www.bk.com/en/us/company-info/contact/index.html

beasted86
09-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Heat are only going to get better at the center rotation once Haslem is fully back. Whoever they add with the MLE (assuming it stays) just compounds the improvement.

Curry is just a longshot project at this point, I don't know why people think he's the only guy on the teams radar. For any of the fans who have been watching the Heat before 2010 might know that the team has had some success working with players with weight issues like Haslem and Ike Austin. So giving Curry a non guaranteed minimum contract to see what he has in a training camp is worth the effort, but at this point that hasn't happened yet and he's not even on the preseason 20 man roster so I don't know why people are starting threads in the NBA forum about a guy who hasn't played in 3 years.

Anyhow the Heat didn't over achieve. All "luck" ends at the regular season, and we see what a team is made of in a 7 game series. They deserved to get how far they got, and were 2 wins away from a title with Lebron playing poor and Haslem & Miller limited by injury. The team only has improvements to make with added chemistry, better health, a good young rookie, and possibly a starting C via the MLE.

mttwlsn16
09-10-2011, 12:34 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yYMk44HV4_I/TZeB0jd5XyI/AAAAAAAAANA/LSr2ZE3mKSI/s1600/eddy.curry.jpeg

daleja424
09-10-2011, 12:36 PM
All depends on what shape he is in... If he is committed (unlikely), of course he is helpful!

beasted86
09-10-2011, 12:40 PM
A recent article ( http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2011/09/miami-heat-free-agent-focus-eddy-curry.html ), coupled with rumours, work-outs last season and Curry's recent weight loss, seem to suggest that Eddy Curry has a real chance of earning the MLE in a Heat jersey

Also :laugh2: @ this. You don't know what you're talking about with Curry getting the Mle. The article is only one of a large series that covers all free agents on the Heat's radar, and the poll is the same for all the players. Curry has no chance at the MLE.

llemon
09-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Really need to know why you think Eddy Curry is underrated.

Geargo Wallace
09-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought about Indian food immediately when I saw the title.

Rocco Gandolfo
09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
I have Miami winning the East. If Curry signs there, I have Miami as the third seed in the East. The man is a joke, a FAT FREAKING JOKE. I hope and pray that Miami signs him. Then watch the circus begin.

Rocco Gandolfo
09-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Lets Look at Currys last three years.
Injured Injured Injured. Fat Fat Fat. Brutal Murder of his family. Held at gunpoint and Robbed. Made a Homosexual advance on his Limo Driver.
Hmmm...Yeah there is nothing wrong with Eddy Curry. He hangs around the nicest of people.

LionsFan..LOL
09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I thought about Indian food immediately when I saw the title.

:laugh:

Hawkeye15
09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I doubt he helps. He hasn't really played in years in a meaningful game or situation. He is a poor rebounder and defender, something they need. He has never taken the game seriously. I don't see any reason why he isn't just another warm body.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Any minutes Curry plays, for any team, he is going to hurt that team on the court. Probably a few dozen available big men that would be an upgrade over curry.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yYMk44HV4_I/TZeB0jd5XyI/AAAAAAAAANA/LSr2ZE3mKSI/s1600/eddy.curry.jpeg

Disgusting

LayZbone
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
As Beasted86 stated, this article is part of a series of articles looking at potential free agent targets. Including: Samuel Dalembert, Shane Battier, Grant Hill, Delonte West, TJ Ford, Tayshaun Prince, Kwame Brown, Michael Redd, etc.

If, and thats a big IF, the Heat give Curry a shot to make the 15-man roster, it certainly won't be for the MLE. He hasn't done **** to earn that kind of money in years.....vet min or nothing. At that point, there's really not much to lose.

Nene will be the 1st target, which is a long shot. Then the Heat'll probably move on to Sammy D, which IMO has a huge chance of happening. Miami's the closest city to his native Haiti. He'd be a perfect fit on a contender. Kwame Brown and Eddy Curry are last resort guys.

c0rbz
09-10-2011, 03:20 PM
No.

TheNumber37
09-10-2011, 03:51 PM
The Heat's front court will NEVER be something that is better than other teams, if you're just rotation Bosh and Haslem you have no chance against A LOT of teams with more depth than that. Can't win it all from the perimeter.

llemon
09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
The Heat's front court will NEVER be something that is better than other teams, if you're just rotation Bosh and Haslem you have no chance against A LOT of teams with more depth than that. Can't win it all from the perimeter.

If they get Dalembert, things will change.

I, of course, am hoping they don't get Dalembert.

I do believe that a Dwight for Lebron trade could get Heat a Title, and improve the Magic greatly.

GiantsSwaGG
09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Lmao Eddy Curry are you ****ing serious LMFAO

knickfan4life
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
he is gonna kill it with them... gives them the inside presence they need to be DEADLY with mike miller, lebron, wade and any bum off the street as a PG and theyll win...........

Pierzynski4Prez
09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
he is gonna kill it with them... gives them the inside presence they need to be DEADLY with mike miller, lebron, wade and any bum off the street as a PG and theyll win...........

Coming from a Knick fan, you should know just how DEADLY Curry can be, don't you.

DEADLY as in, waste of a few future lottery picks and a roster spot, while taking up nearly 20% of your cap space.

championships
09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Eddy Curry is junk. I don't think he can help anyone.

asandhu23
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Eddy Curry is junk. I don't think he can help anyone.

The Opposing team?

Fnom11
09-10-2011, 07:22 PM
The amount of hypotheticals on this site is astonishing.

naps
09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Curry will only be brought in with vet min. So Heat is not touching MLE for him. MLE is going for another center, I guess most people know who that is. Curry can't be worse than Magloire as the 3rd string center.

naps
09-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Really?

First of all, you are talking about the future here. Their front court will NEVER be better than other teams? Tell me how 29 other teams have a better front court of LeBron-Bosh-Joel. I wanna hear that. Then, speaking of future I see them signing Dalembert this offseason. What other team (s) will have a better front court than LeBron-Bosh-Dalembert?

Secondly, No chance against a lot of teams? Please, I wanna hear what are those teams. Last time I checked, they didn't have any problem against ANY team not named the Mavs, and that was mostly without Haslem.

What are you talking about here again???

beasted86
09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Really?

First of all, you are talking about the future here. Their front court will NEVER be better than other teams? Tell me how 29 other teams have a better front court of LeBron-Bosh-Joel. I wanna hear that. Then, speaking of future I see them signing Dalembert this offseason. What other team (s) will have a better front court than LeBron-Bosh-Dalembert?

Secondly, No chance against a lot of teams? Please, I wanna hear what are those teams. Last time I checked, they didn't have any problem against ANY team not named the Mavs, and that was mostly without Haslem.

What are you talking about here again???

Thanks for saving me the time.

If the Heat can sign at least Dalembert, I don't see how...

PF: Bosh / Haslem
C:: Dalembert / Anthony

... can't compete with a lot of teams. You have 2 of the best pick & pop PFs in the NBA, and two of the top shot blockers in the NBA all on the same team.

dreday
09-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Being from ive seen alot of curry over the years and i must say that it was not always pleasent. I do know this though curry has always been able score consistantly with his back to basket he is one the few legit centers in terms of size and he has good to very good agility for a guy his size. That alone helps the he weather he starts or not is another question but even if he comes in with the second unit he gives u an element that u did not have last year. Also if they can somehow get him to rebound and jjst be presence in middle this could be a major sell. Remember with the talent the heat have you dont really need much.

ManningToTyree
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Heat Forum.

He is beyond useless. Its the one thing Bulls and Knicks fans can agree on. :D

Stack_NJNets
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Simply not worth the risk

Stuckey#3
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Why not bring Starberry in as well and throw Isiah in a coaching position... he's already in FLA... get the whole gang back together.

Stack_NJNets
09-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Naps you have the best sig i've ever seen

Stuckey#3
09-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Maybe they plan on using him as a human shield?:shrug: Miami is a dangerous place.

Stuckey#3
09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I voted "Yes he is exactly what they need" because IMO he is... they need to start there downfall and signing Curry is a good starting point.

CavsYanksDuke
09-10-2011, 09:06 PM
The MLE is over 5 million dollars. I would give Curry the vet minimum at most.

Evolution23
09-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope the Heat sign him.

llemon
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I hope the Heat sign him.

You and Eddy are hoping for the same thing.

LTBaByyy
09-11-2011, 01:02 AM
The same things said about Chandler last year, he is done.

When motivated and at his best, Curry can be a top 15 center in this league.

Obviously if he was drafted in the top 5 overall with Chandler coming out of high school.

He lost what 30 pounds already??? He will make the Heat and he will suprise a lot of people

He wasnt motivated with the KNicks we all know that, he WANTS to play for the Heat and I read he is impressing a LOT of people so far.

We will see if he gets back to what he used to be

PS for vet min, this is a big reward, low risk

mark1125
09-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Wonder how quick the mods would have closed this if it was "Will Curry help the Nuggets/Warriors/Nets/etc). :eyebrow:

MinVikesFan
09-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Curry sucks. He really does. Look him up on wiki, he's a weirdo too. Nothing will help the heat except to get better on the defensive end and some players to put around the big two and bosh.

LakersMaster24
09-11-2011, 02:23 AM
For the vets min? I don't see why not. However it is highly unlikely that he will have any impact...offensively he will have 0 impact, defensively he CAN be a factor.

naps
09-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Naps you have the best sig i've ever seen

Haha...Thanks dude. Bandwagoners are worse than anything else. You could even appreciate the irrational haters at times but not the bandwogners.

naps
09-11-2011, 05:18 AM
The same things said about Chandler last year, he is done.

When motivated and at his best, Curry can be a top 15 center in this league.

Obviously if he was drafted in the top 5 overall with Chandler coming out of high school.

He lost what 30 pounds already??? He will make the Heat and he will suprise a lot of people

He wasnt motivated with the KNicks we all know that, he WANTS to play for the Heat and I read he is impressing a LOT of people so far.

We will see if he gets back to what he used to be

PS for vet min, this is a big reward, low risk

Alright PSD is not such a bad thing since we actually have some brains here like this guy.

save the knicks
09-11-2011, 08:25 AM
I dont think there is enough HGH in the world to help curry help the heat

Kinkotheclown
09-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I thought this was about Stephan Curry not the fat mofo trying to get in shape.

The fat mofo has been getting in shape for 3 seasons.

the only way he will help is by eating up everything in sight at the pre game buffet

Brooklyn Mets
09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
2006 Eddy Curry would be great for the Heat but the only problem is that if he was still 2006 Eddy Curry there would be a ton of other teams throwing money at him especially since there is a lack of good quality centers in the league as it is so they most likely wouldnt be able to afford him.. if he is looking to come in with a very cheap contract and prove he is not a worthless scrub anymore and that he is actually in good playing shape (which he claimed the last few years with the knicks and we all know how that panned out) than i would say it would be a good move for the heat.