PDA

View Full Version : Where will the big 3 2012 free agent's go?

NYman15
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Next summer 3 of the biggest stars in the NBA are potentially all free agents. Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, and Chris Paul are all free agents and all could possibly leave their respective teams. So, depending on the new CBA, and if they make it to free agency, where do you see these 3 stars going?Will they stay? Could they be traded if there's a season?

Dwight Howard has been rumored to possibly be going to,
Lakers
Clippers
Nets
Knicks
Bulls
Magic
Mavs
Celtics

Chris Paul has been rumored to possibly be going to,
Knicks
Clippers
Lakers
Magic
Thunder
Hornets

Deron Williams has been rumored to possibly be going to,
Lakers
Clippers
Mavericks
Knicks
Magic
Mavs
Nets

This includes trades as well. Not just sign and trades but just trades. For example, do you see the Magic trading Howard at this years trading deadline, if their is one, to maybe the Lakers for Bynum and others or to some other team like the Mavs or others. Or do you see them making it to FA and then where do you see them going?

Those are some of the teams these 3 have been rumored to possibly be going to. So, where do you see these 3 playing by the beginning of the 2012 season?

And I posted this later, but I forgot to put the Bulls and Celtics in the poll as teams who Dwight could go to. I just forgot to put them in the poll, just too many teams I forgot. But those 2 should be in the poll as well.

beasted86
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
After 2010 all of these summers don't have the same level of interest. LeBron, Wade, Stoudemire, Bosh, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Boozer, David Lee, Scola, and others were all free agents that year.

How many teams even have cap space for 2012?

Knicks might have space for 1, and that's going off of the old CBA salary cap structure assuming the cap is somewhere around $60M. Nets have space for 1, and so should the Clippers.

Unless they make some major trades between then and now Lakers, Mavericks, Magic, Thunder, Bulls, Hornets or none of the other teams you mentioned have cap space to add any significant outside free agent.

Sadds The Gr8
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
all come to Toronto to play with the next Kobe, Demar Derozan.

gwrighter
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Chris Paul comes to Toronto.

mightybosstone
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I like the idea of a Deron, Dwight tandem in New Jersey. And I really hope they find a way to get that done. That's still a big market, and the owner has clearly shown that he's willing to spend money to build a winning franchise. And I'd like to see Paul traded to the Thunder in a sign and trade with Westbrook. That way the NBA owners will have at least gotten SOMETHING decent for Paul and the West and East will keep some balance.

I really hope we don't see someone go to New York. I'm sure one of those players will pick NYC, but I'm sick of big 3s. I want to see more balance and more good teams. A Deron/Dwight and Melo/Anthony rivalry between New York and Jersey would be insanely fun to watch over the years. And a CP3/Durant duo in the West would give that conference an elite duo capable of bringing down the Heat over the next few years.

I'm also really hoping that no one picks LA, and if they do, I hope it's the Clippers. The Lakers have had their run in the 2000s and I'd like to see some new franchises take center stage. And it's not as if the Lakers don't have at least another couple of seasons where they could be competitive.

DoMeFavors
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
damn the poll is all over the place

avon_barksdale
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
i duno why them celtics aint on here. they gona have more space than all them other teams

Cal827
09-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Chris Paul or Dwight to Toronto. We will have cap space next year (assuming that the salary cap remains close to where it is now), to offer someone a max contract.

Ok maybe I'm a little hopeful as a Raptor fan:D, but there should be "other" on here for each of them also. Some teams might be able to sign them outright (Like Miami could have done with Lebron/Bosh), without needing to S/T. (For example, If Indiana stands pat this year, they will have enough to offer two max deals, Boston was mentioned as having a lot of space next year, etc).

all come to Toronto to play with the next Kobe, Demar Derozan.

lol would Paul or Deron play Shooting Guard?

ShakeN'Bake
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Not that I think this will happen at all but the Celtics should try to trade Rondo for Deron.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
after 2010 all of these summers don't have the same level of interest. Lebron, wade, stoudemire, bosh, joe johnson, rudy gay, boozer, david lee, scola, and others were all free agents that year.

Knicks might have space for 1, and that's going off of the old cba salary cap structure assuming the cap is somewhere around $60m. Nets have space for 1, and so should the clippers.

unless they make some major trades between then and now lakers, mavericks, magic, thunder, bulls, hornets or none of the other teams you mentioned have cap space to add any significant outside free agent.

s & t

Sly Guy
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
they will all join the same team, and create the 2nd most redundant cast of stars in the NBA.

Baller1
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
They're all going to Miami. Deron Williams will be the sixth man.

H0T SAUCE
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
D. Howard will sign with *Okc Thunder
C. Paul will sign with *NY Knicks
D. Williams will sign/trade with *Orlando Magic

Cal827
09-09-2011, 01:42 PM
s & t

True but that would require them the team getting the star to have excellent pieces (Prospects, possession of future high 1st round picks etc or large expiring contracts). A S/T gives the team losing the star leverage, as they could reject a deal that doesn't help them, thus blocking ther other team from acquiring (E.g. If the Bulls offered Boozer in a S/T for Howard, Orlando would likely reject it which would mean Chicago can't get him). from some of the listed teams, LA and OKC seem to have the best pieces to acquire him via S/T as Orlando would want youth that might end up something (Harden and Ibaka?/Bynum).

beasted86
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
s & t

Going by that logic, why not list every team in the NBA?

That's why even in the summer of 2010, when people were posting these LeBron to Mavericks or Bosh to Houston or any of that other nonsense it didn't hold any ground either. If we start including S&T teams, we can't rule out anybody because we don't know who's willing to give up what, or who's willing to take what.

llemon
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
D. Howard will sign with *Okc Thunder
D. Williams will sign/trade with *Orlando Magic

A) What does Orlando have to offer Nets for Deron in a S&T?

B) Why does Deron want to go to Magic after Dwight's gone?

Corey
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
If the Thunder somehow land Dwight, that would be incredible.

DoMeFavors
09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
If the Thunder somehow land Dwight, that would be incredible.

Would probably be something like Dwight, Gilbert for Perkins, Harden, Westbrook

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
My Hopes are...

Deron/Dwight in Orlando
CP to NY

NYman15
09-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I should have made it more clearly, but I meant to say where will these players end up by next season? That could mean trades as well, not just a sign and trade but just trades. Do you the Magic trading Howard at the trade deadline this year, if their is one, to maybe the Lakers for Bynum and other or to the Mavs. I just meant where do you see these guys ending up?

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
no bulls in the poll???

when were these players all rumored to go the same 5 teams???

I've seen nothing on the following:
- Dwight to the mavs
- Dwight to the clips
- Dwight to the knicks
- CP3 to the clips
- CP3 to the thunder
- CP3 to the magic
- Deron to the clips
- Deron to the mavs
- Deron to the magic

rumors?? or made up??

nycericanguy
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
no bulls in the poll???

- Dwight to the mavs
- Dwight to the clips
- Dwight to the knicks
- CP3 to the clips
- CP3 to the thunder
- CP3 to the magic
- Deron to the clips
- Deron to the mavs
- Deron to the magic

rumors?? or made up??

CHI is WAY over the cap in 2012, and Rose hasn't even gotten an extension. They are pretty locked into that roster. If you're going to include them you might as well include the other 25 teams over the cap too.

H0T SAUCE
09-09-2011, 02:40 PM
A) What does Orlando have to offer Nets for Deron in a S&T?

B) Why does Deron want to go to Magic after Dwight's gone?

Bcuz I said so :D

Jetsguy
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Howard Stays
Paul ro Knicks
Williams to Dallas

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 02:44 PM
CHI is WAY over the cap in 2012, and Rose hasn't even gotten an extension. They are pretty locked into that roster. If you're going to include them you might as well include the other 25 teams over the cap too.

for sure, but my point was the OP talked about the bulls in his original post, about where dwight has been rumored to go, but then leaves chi off the poll...

and yeah, when are the mavs and lakers under the cap??? somehow they got on every option...

the poll is ridiculous...

NYKalltheway
09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Howard will be a Celtic imo

nycericanguy
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
for sure, but my point was the OP talked about the bulls in his original post, about where dwight has been rumored to go, but then leaves chi off the poll...

and yeah, when are the mavs and lakers under the cap??? somehow they got on every option...

the poll is ridiculous...

yea true, although D-Wil has ties to DAL and everyone just assumes the Lakers will get Howard so I guess thats why he put that there

llemon
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Bcuz I said so :D

Meaning 'never happens'.

naps
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Wait, why aren't Celtics not an option for Dwight Howard? I think Garnett and Allen come off the book by the end of next season. They should have plenty of room to add Dwight there and then sign Garnett and Allen for minimum. If that happens WOW!

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 02:58 PM
yea true, although D-Wil has ties to DAL and everyone just assumes the Lakers will get Howard so I guess thats why he put that there

OIC... double standards...

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Wait, why aren't Celtics not an option for Dwight Howard? I think Garnett and Allen come off the book by the end of next season. They should have plenty of room to add Dwight there and then sign Garnett and Allen for minimum. If that happens WOW!

why exactly would they re-sign with boston?? if a real contender wants them at that time, why wouldn't they go there?? they don't have real deep roots in boston... IMO boston is going downhill and they would only be a contender IF howard decided to go there... that's a big if.

DoMeFavors
09-09-2011, 03:06 PM
why exactly would they re-sign with boston?? if a real contender wants them at that time, why wouldn't they go there?? they don't have real deep roots in boston... IMO boston is going downhill and they would only be a contender IF howard decided to go there... that's a big if.

Plus if they are gonna give Jeff Green money thats Rondo, Jeff Green and Dwight. Orlando right now is better. The Celtics are old and have one more year of competing.

avon_barksdale
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM

cuz if bos signs dwight and they took vet mins then bos has a core of rayray pierce dwight kg rondo green and whoeva last yrs draft plus nxt yrs draft (could be a aight pick)

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Plus if they are gonna give Jeff Green money thats Rondo, Jeff Green and Dwight. Orlando right now is better. The Celtics are old and have one more year of competing.

yeah, boston has to make some serious moves to stay competitive IMO... or they will return the pre big 3 era and they have nobody as good a PP was on that team if the big 3 leave...

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
cuz if bos signs dwight and they took vet mins then bos has a core of rayray pierce dwight kg rondo green and whoeva last yrs draft plus nxt yrs draft (could be a aight pick)

yeah.. exactly... IF boston signs dwight...

why would dwight go there?? to be the savior and be the guy that maybe keeps boston competitive??? doesn't make sense... IMO it would be a better move to go to a younger team with good players, and be an addition to the squad that will be able to compete for years... but, you think he'll sign with boston to be with ray ray and kg for a year or two?? then what?? there will be better options for d12...

SteBO
09-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I hate to admit it, but Dwight should go to CHI-town if he really wants a realistic chance of winning titles. I'd say the Knicks, but they have their sights on Chris Paul.

PurpleJesus
09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
they all go to miami

DoMeFavors
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I hate to admit it, but Dwight should go to CHI-town if he really wants a realistic chance of winning titles. I'd say the Knicks, but they have their sights on Chris Paul.

Why wouldnt a Deron and Dwight combo win a championship?

mttwlsn16
09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

this

SteBO
09-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I mean if you really think about it, I find it hard to believe that the Bulls wouldn't find a way to rid themselves of Boozers' contract, which I think would be the main roadblock of any way the Bulls get him under a stricter CBA if it happens, in free agency. I say free agency because I find it hard-pressed that the Magic would deal with Chicago in any trade scenario considering the contracts of Noah and/or Boozer. They should probably just wait until the summer of 2012, find a sap to take Boozers' contract and maybe Noah as well depending on how the FO feels about him, to free up enough space to be able to land Dwight. I think if Howard had the choice, he'd definitely go to Chicago.

SteBO
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
they all go to miami

this

Don't tease me :)

SteBO
09-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Why wouldnt a Deron and Dwight combo win a championship?
Not saying it wouldn't, but has Deron re-signed with the Nets yet? The Bulls have a bit more stability in regads to their core players, a core group of guys that have proven themselves to be an elite group for they did go to the ECF. Again, if I were Dwight and didn't even want to consider Miami, then I would go to Chicago. Hands down. To me, that's his best chance.

Super.
09-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Why the **** aren't the Celtics on this list? They'll have a great core with Rondo and Pierce, and most likely Green, KG and Ray (Both come back for cheap on the ends of their careers)

Plus they're one of the few teams with actual cap space to sign Dwight

Super.
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Even with giving Green money they still have enough, unless they overpay for Green.

It's not like Ray just had his best shooting year ever or anything, Pierce will be resigned, and KG has expressed interest in coming back too.

They'd be the best defensive team hands down

Rondo
Ray
Pierce/Green
Green/KG
Dwight

NYman15
09-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Damn everybody is attacking me. I forgot to put the Bulls and Celtics on the list. Their was just too many teams so I forgot. I can't change the poll but the Bulls should be listed for Howard as should the Celtics.

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I completely agree...

I mean if you really think about it, I find it hard to believe that the Bulls wouldn't find a way to rid themselves of Boozers' contract, which I think would be the main roadblock of any way the Bulls get him under a stricter CBA if it happens, in free agency. I say free agency because I find it hard-pressed that the Magic would deal with Chicago in any trade scenario considering the contracts of Noah and/or Boozer. They should probably just wait until the summer of 2012, find a sap to take Boozers' contract and maybe Noah as well depending on how the FO feels about him, to free up enough space to be able to land Dwight. I think if Howard had the choice, he'd definitely go to Chicago.

the bulls would have to probably get rid of noah too, to be honest... i know the FO loves noah, but i think that he is going to be must for a team to take boozer... a d12/taj combo could be pretty good on both ends of the floor, with asik to back them up defensively?? yes...

Not saying it wouldn't, but has Deron re-signed with the Nets yet? The Bulls have a bit more stability in regads to their core players, a core group of guys that have proven themselves to be an elite group for they did go to the ECF. Again, if I were Dwight and didn't even want to consider Miami, then I would go to Chicago. Hands down. To me, that's his best chance.

again, yes... also, Adidas would go crazy for the drose/d12 combo... imagine how much money outside the contract could be made pairing those two up...

DR_1
09-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Dwill: Lakers
CP3: Knicks
Dwight: Bulls

ManningToTyree
09-09-2011, 04:06 PM
All to the Heat

Slimsim
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I think Dwight Howard is to good a guy and care more about what people think of him and would stay in orlando and keep his good imagine than go to a team that can get him multiple championships

Deron Williams will stay with the nets but brook lopez will be traded and nj will land a stud of a sidekick to play along side Deron Williams probably Andre Igudola or something.

Cp3 will sign a 3 year extension with NO because the new cba won't allow anymore big threes

That's how i see it going down

SteBO
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I completely agree...
:)

the bulls would have to probably get rid of noah too, to be honest... i know the FO loves noah, but i think that he is going to be must for a team to take boozer... a d12/taj combo could be pretty good on both ends of the floor, with asik to back them up defensively?? yes...
I know that Noah was the one that blocked a potential Carmelo deal to the Bulls though he wanted NY from the start anyway. That was understandable. But this is Dwight Howard we are speaking about. It would be beyond stupidity to hold out for Howard because of Noah.

again, yes... also, Adidas would go crazy for the drose/d12 combo... imagine how much money outside the contract could be made pairing those two up...
I'm sure adidas is drooling at the possibility. Out of all the options on this poll, none of them are great options for titles. Chicago is the only realistic destination for Dwight if winning is his focus. If you thought the Bulls defense was great last year, imagine it with Dwight manning the paint.

EDIT: Actually the Mavs are pretty good option for Howard as well. Still think Chicago the better choice though.

NYman15
09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
no bulls in the poll???

- Dwight to the mavs
- Dwight to the clips
- Dwight to the knicks
- CP3 to the clips
- CP3 to the thunder
- CP3 to the magic
- Deron to the clips
- Deron to the mavs
- Deron to the magic

rumors?? or made up??

I did not make these up. I can't post links to all these rumors and reports but here's one,

"Of the teams Howard is likely to consider when exercising his early-termination option after next season -- sources say the Lakers, Knicks and Nets are the strong favorites -- L.A. is the one with the most attractive trade assets. The massive contracts attached to the Lakers' most desirable players also puts them in the rare position of being able to absorb either Arenas or Turkoglu as a way to soften the blow for Orlando."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/15041373/fastapproaching-offseason-critical-for-lakers

This article does have the Knicks listed as a Dwight Howard possibility. I can't find links for all of them, but all of them have been rumored or speculated to possibly happen. Whether because it makes sense trade wise and because they'll have money, all of these possibility have been rumored to happen.

Shmontaine
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I did not make these up. I can't post links to all these rumors and reports but here's one,

"Of the teams Howard is likely to consider when exercising his early-termination option after next season -- sources say the Lakers, Knicks and Nets are the strong favorites -- L.A. is the one with the most attractive trade assets. The massive contracts attached to the Lakers' most desirable players also puts them in the rare position of being able to absorb either Arenas or Turkoglu as a way to soften the blow for Orlando."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/15041373/fastapproaching-offseason-critical-for-lakers

This article does have the Knicks listed as a Dwight Howard possibility. I can't find links for all of them, but all of them have been rumored or speculated to possibly happen. Whether because it makes sense trade wise and because they'll have money, all of these possibility have been rumored to happen.

they have been rumored to go the mavs?? and clips?? sorry, don't buy it...

SteBO
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
The Clippers?? They'd better be prepared to give up Blake Griffin then, because ORL would not do business with them regarding any Dwight trade scenario unless he was included. Dwight would never go to the Clippers on his own.

jim51990
09-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Dwight ends up on Boston after a visit from mr Russell

llemon
09-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Dwight ends up on Boston after a visit from mr Russell

Yeah, Russell will tell Dwight how much he loves Boston and Celtic fans.

Cal827
09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
The Clippers?? They'd better be prepared to give up Blake Griffin then, because ORL would not do business with them regarding any Dwight trade scenario unless he was included. Dwight would never go to the Clippers on his own.

It is possible though; I mean I don't think Dwight outright rejected them, and they are a big market.

They also have tons of cap available after this year (according to http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_clippers.htm, they shed about 20 mill in Cap, going to 24 million, and resigning Gordon shouldn't block them from offering a max deal).

Even if it does, they will still have quite a bit of cap space to absorb a bad contract (since they don't have to worry about Blake until after the 2012/2013 season).

What if the Clippers approached Orlando, and offered something like

Bledsoe and or
Aminu
Mo Williams (Expiring Big Contract)
Minnesota's 1st rounder (Clipper will likely have a pick in the top 5 from the T'wolves)
Clippers 2013,2014 first rounders
for

Howard, Hedo (If williams is part of the deal, then they could acquire Gilbert's contract instead and stay around the cap (assuming that it's around the 57.7 million it is now)

This allows Orlando to shed one terrible contract, while getting back a bunch of decent and high potential prospects (Bledsole/2012 pick/Aminu/Orton and future first rounders... Allowing them to rebuild quicker. It also gives them an expiring contract that could help them acquire more first rounders if a team wants to dump a bad contract (kinda Like what the Clippers did to get rid of Davis, sending the pick that ended up being 1st overall).

For the Clippers, it gives them a Big 3 (Gordon, Blake, Dwight) and they can add some good role players before being locked with the resigning of Griffin. (Assuming we still have the soft cap once the lockout ends.) They would likely be the talk of LA over then Lakers (at least for a few years, until the Lakers make an attempt to acquire Griffin from them, as well as Rose, Durant and anybody else that has a star attached to their name lol).

I just think a deal like this would be too good to pass up for Orlando. (Assuming that whoever the Clips drafted is someone (via Minny) that Orlando likes).

Lloyd Christmas
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Nobody will go to the Knicks. I could see Dwight and Derron both signing with the Nets. Paul will get traded and resign long term somewhere. Maybe with the Blazers.

NYman15
09-09-2011, 07:11 PM
they have been rumored to go the mavs?? and clips?? sorry, don't buy it...

yes, actually I believe it was Ric Bucher who said it a while back in a chat or article and said the Mavs were on the list of teams Howard is interested in. And the Clippers are expected to have the cap space and have the assets to make a trade. And I don't have links, but its been speculated before that the Clippers could possibly go after 2 of these guys in free agency as well.

llemon
09-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Nobody will go to the Knicks. I could see Dwight and Derron both signing with the Nets. Paul will get traded and resign long term somewhere. Maybe with the Blazers.

I'm as big a Knick hater as there is, but what makes you think that no player will sign with the Knicks when they pretty much already signed two of the bigger FAs on the market?

Lloyd Christmas
09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm as big a Knick hater as there is, but what makes you think that no player will sign with the Knicks when they pretty much already signed two of the bigger FAs on the market?

I just don't think any of those players would be willing to sign a deal small enough to fit under the cap. Maybe if Carmelo and Stat restructured their deals, but I give that a .0001% chance of happening.

llemon
09-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I just don't think any of those players would be willing to sign a deal small enough to fit under the cap. Maybe if Carmelo and Stat restructured their deals, but I give that a .0001% chance of happening.

Mr. Xmas, Knicks lose $16 mil in capspace after the '11-'12 season. They will probably try to lose more.

And please extend my wishes to all you elf friends.

beasted86
09-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Mr. Xmas, Knicks lose $16 mil in capspace after the '11-'12 season. They will probably try to lose more.

Short but somewhat detailed explanation of the Knicks' cap space using old CBA rules:

The Knicks have $40M guaranteed to Carmelo & Stoudemire in 2012-2013.

Let's give the Knicks the benefit of trading Balkman ($1.675M) away. We'll use an even $1.5M as Fields' qualifying offer, and Shumpert as the 17th pick should be making about $1.5M. We'll also assume they keep Douglas on the cheap and pick up the final year team option of his rookie contract which is about $2M.

So that's a total of about $45M between 5 players. Assuming the Knicks sign nobody else between then and now, and adding cap holds for the 7 empty roster spots, that leaves about $12M to sign an outside free agent under a $60M cap.

It's possible a 'max' player signs for just that $12M at a discounted price, but it's clear that skeptics who say they might not be able to, have good reasoning. It's all there in the numbers, and like my first sentence says, this is under the old 'generous' CBA.

Tony_Starks
09-09-2011, 09:20 PM
No way D Will misses the chance the be the face of a new Brooklyn franchise with a Billionaire owner....

I see CP3 with the Lakers to extend Kobe's career for a few more rings and then run LA when Kobe steps down.

Dwight will be in LA but not where everbody thinks. I think he pairs next to Blake Griffin and sets off a hollywood rivalry that would be insane!!!

llemon
09-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Short but somewhat detailed explanation of the Knicks' cap space using old CBA rules:

Let's give the Knicks the benefit of trading Balkman ($1.675M) away. We'll use an even $1.5M as Fields' qualifying offer, and Shumpert as the 17th pick should be making about $1.5M. We'll also assume they keep Douglas on the cheap and pick up the final year team option of his rookie contract which is about $2M.

So that's a total of about $45M between 5 players. Assuming the Knicks sign nobody else between then and now, and adding cap holds for the 7 empty roster spots, that leaves about $12M to sign an outside free agent under a $60M cap.

It's possible a 'max' player signs for just that $12M at a discounted price, but it's clear that skeptics who say they might not be able to, have good reasoning. It's all there in the numbers, and like my first sentence says, this is under the old 'generous' CBA.

Nice job of working things out, but just too cut and dry.

Many things can happen by next offseason.

ragee
09-09-2011, 09:59 PM
No way D Will misses the chance the be the face of a new Brooklyn franchise with a Billionaire owner....

I see CP3 with the Lakers to extend Kobe's career for a few more rings and then run LA when Kobe steps down.

Dwight will be in LA but not where everbody thinks. I think he pairs next to Blake Griffin and sets off a hollywood rivalry that would be insane!!!

What would be sweeter is if they find a way to get D-Will as well...

Griffin, Dwight and D-Will :drool:

Lloyd Christmas
09-09-2011, 11:15 PM

My elf friends say what's up. :)

NYman15
09-09-2011, 11:20 PM
The problem with determining cap space is we have no idea what the new CBA will be. I believe right before they locked the players out, the owner proposed "flex cap" where I believe the cap was around 62 million which would give the Knicks a lot of cap space. But we have to wait and see what the new CBA brings.

LakersIn5
09-10-2011, 06:07 AM
the lakers will get one of those guys just because they are the LA LAKERS

naps
09-10-2011, 07:19 AM

WTF?! Did you read my post? I said only if they can land Howard they should attempt to keep Garnett and Allen for minimum. I am pretty sure both them will be staying in Boston if Howard lands there.

beasted86
09-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Nice job of working things out, but just too cut and dry.

Many things can happen by next offseason.

What are these "many things"?

We are only talking about 5 players on the Knicks. There is no more cap space to clear. There isn't "many things"... only 1 thing... a star free agent deciding to take less than his full market value.

Raph12
09-10-2011, 12:17 PM
After 2010 all of these summers don't have the same level of interest. LeBron, Wade, Stoudemire, Bosh, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Boozer, David Lee, Scola, and others were all free agents that year.

Knicks might have space for 1, and that's going off of the old CBA salary cap structure assuming the cap is somewhere around $60M. Nets have space for 1, and so should the Clippers.

Unless they make some major trades between then and now Lakers, Mavericks, Magic, Thunder, Bulls, Hornets or none of the other teams you mentioned have cap space to add any significant outside free agent.

Actually 2012 should be even more interesting because I'm pretty sure we won't see 3 of those guys going to the same team this time around...

llemon
09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
What are these "many things"?

We are only talking about 5 players on the Knicks. There is no more cap space to clear. There isn't "many things"... only 1 thing... a star free agent deciding to take less than his full market value.

Players count as a salary slot until they are renounced or sign elsewhere.

Yanks All Day
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
They all go to Miami.

Hostetler
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Howard - Lakers
Paul - Knicks
D Will - Mavs

THE MTL
09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Dwight Howard is an enigma to me. I have no idea what this guy is going to do or will be able to do. People say Lakers, Lakers, Lakers, but Lakers have no cap space and besides Bynum...not the best trade assets (And they have say time time again that they werent trading Bynum). And Orlando Magic needs to make significant improvement and that team as a whole is declining (Richardson, Arenas, Turk)

Chris Paul IS GOING TO THE NEW YORK KNICKS! Enough said about him :D

And Deron Williams should end up staying in NJ. Nets is a team on the rise and has assets to get a deal done and the cap space neccessary

Shmontaine
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM

WTF?! Did you read my post? I said only if they can land Howard they should attempt to keep Garnett and Allen for minimum. I am pretty sure both them will be staying in Boston if Howard lands there.

I did read your post... and i must have missed you're 'only' clause the first time...

yeah.. exactly... IF boston signs dwight...

why would dwight go there?? to be the savior and be the guy that maybe keeps boston competitive??? doesn't make sense... IMO it would be a better move to go to a younger team with good players, and be an addition to the squad that will be able to compete for years... but, you think he'll sign with boston to be with ray ray and kg for a year or two?? then what?? there will be better options for d12...

do you continue to read threads?? WTF?!?!?!?

you would need all said players together to possibly have boston be a contender... and that's with KG and ray playing at a high level still... so, again, why would they all sign/resign to maybe be competitive when there will be definite contenders around that can ADD them to an already contending team?? There will be better options for D12, KG, and Ray come time to 'resign' or 'land' with boston...

corky831
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I feel boston has something up their sleeve and I think they are gonna make a huge push for Dwight....Doc Rivers wouldn't sign a 5 yr deal if he thought they were only gonna contend for 1 more year...in the all-star game Doc did play the Big 4 with Dwight as the other man. The celtics probably would have signed perkins long term if they didnt plan on making a run at Dwight, and garnett has stated that he wants to retire a celtic so I wouldnt be surprised if he came back for league minimum. The celtics are going to have a lot of money coming off the books, and I am sure they're going to spend it.

Shmontaine
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I feel boston has something up their sleeve and I think they are gonna make a huge push for Dwight....Doc Rivers wouldn't sign a 5 yr deal if he thought they were only gonna contend for 1 more year...in the all-star game Doc did play the Big 4 with Dwight as the other man. The celtics probably would have signed perkins long term if they didnt plan on making a run at Dwight, and garnett has stated that he wants to retire a celtic so I wouldnt be surprised if he came back for league minimum. The celtics are going to have a lot of money coming off the books, and I am sure they're going to spend it.

along that same line of thinking, how many more years do the big 3 have left??? why would dwight sign for 1 or 2 years of the big 3?? I'm sure the $$ had a lot to do with doc coming back, as well... and signing perk would give them someone to trade for dwight, so i don't know if them not signing him means anything for d12...

again, i'm not saying the celtics won't push for d12, but i just don't think boston is an attractive destination for him... they literally need everything to work out (ie, getting dwight to sign, getting kg and ray to resign for min, etc) to be a contender... it's much easier for d12 to go somewhere else where he doesn't need to be the savior... ala lbj...

29$JerZ
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Imo Dwight's 3 best places for a title are (not including Miami since he has already said no)

Thunder
Bulls
Knicks

in that order

However Chicago's biggest problem is how Cap strapped they are and New York's biggest problem is they have little to give back in a trade already.

While it makes so much sense to try to win with a Rose/Dwight duo and an already great defensive team with a ton of defensive players unlike Orlando Chicago is the worst trading partner for Orlando. Guys like Deng, Boozer who they would have to add to trade aren't exactly appealing. Then you have to factor in Rose extension and you're looking at a starting 5 where 4 starters Rose/Noah/Boozer/Deng are getting paid in the double digit millions each. Other than Noah no one on Chicago's roster would be welcomed back in a trade. Unless Dwight wants Chicago I can't see Chicago making any trade that would net Howard without including Rose.

New York shot itself in the foot with the Melo haul over trade.
Looking into 2012 Melo/Amar'e/Toney/Balkman are the only ones who are going to be on the books. When the CBA gets formed Iman,Jorts,Jordan would be available in 2012 as well making the roster total 7 but can you win with Dwight/Amar'e/Melo and have all vet min backcourt players? Idk. Same applies for Paul/Deron if they came to New York. can you win with Vet min help defensive players?

Thunder would be a scary option.

Chicago makes sense if the only 2 players getting paid high are Rose/Dwight but as you said; Deng,Boozer,Noah all being on the team already making a total 33 million is going to be hard to get rid of. Especially in a CBA lockout where already strapped for CAP teams are in trouble if things go the way we've been hearing them.

I really cant think of any team dumb enough to want Boozer or Deng though. While I like Deng he isn't worth the price of his contract at all and Boozer is just a 5 year CAP dumpage.

I think Dwight Howard is to good a guy and care more about what people think of him and would stay in orlando and keep his good imagine than go to a team that can get him multiple championships

Deron Williams will stay with the nets but brook lopez will be traded and nj will land a stud of a sidekick to play along side Deron Williams probably Andre Igudola or something.

Cp3 will sign a 3 year extension with NO because the new cba won't allow anymore big threes

That's how i see it going down

That is somewhat what I'm expecting as well.
It also hurts NY that the Hornets are owned by the NBA at the moment and Paul leaving definitely destroys any hope for that franchise.Why trade him?

Precisely

If New York wants a 3rd Max its nearly impossible based on the old CBA unless the Cap raises higher.

We'll have enough to get a good player with Billups coming off the books but its not enough for a Paul/Deron/Dwight. And our assets are already limited with Denver having our 2014 1st rounder and Houston having our 2012 1st rounder in what would be a heavy draft of talent :sigh:

New Yorks hope for a 3rd star depend solely on the hope Paul/Deron/Dwight see Amar'e/Melo on the team and believe just them alone plus some defensive help is enough.

Punk
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Paul to NY would be great all around for the hype and attractiveness but even if it doesn't happen, It's not the end of the world. All it does is guarantee we can develop a deep roster with 2012 free agents and talent overseas that we have. Jerome James, J. Stone, etc. In all fairness, Paul has mentioned taking less if it meant winning.

Now, I believe Dwight will go to the Clippers. Why? I don't exactly think Dwight would want to go to a transitioning team like the Lakers. The Clippers have the talent to evolve and win, even if it's not right away like Miami, he would have a better core than Orlando. Griffin is unstoppable on his talent alone, a jumper with Dwight in the middle would be unstoppable. I don't see him getting traded there. If he signs, he signs with the Clippers. If he's traded, he's going to the Lakers.

Deron will either go to Dallas or stay with New Jersey but it depends on how dumb New Jersey is and how smart Dallas is. They have a ton of talent to trade away for Deron if he decided to go back to his hometown.

Dwight to LAC/LAL, Paul to NY/Charlotte, Deron to BKLYN/DAL.

synister281
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
All 3 come to the Bulls. And Jordan comes back for one more.

Rose
Jordan
CP3
DWill
Howard

Mark it down.