PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Smith nears deal to play in China

nycericanguy
09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Denver Nuggets free-agent guard J.R. Smith(notes) is nearing an agreement on the richest contract in China Basketball Association history, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Under terms of the deal, Smith would make more than $3 million to play the 2011-12 season with Shanxi, but lose his chance at unrestricted free agency prior to the start of the NBA season. Smith, who turns 26 Friday, has averaged 12.5 points per game in his seven-year NBA career.
More From Adrian Wojnarowski

Under league rules, the China Basketball Association is no longer signing NBA players who want opt-out clauses to return to the NBA prior to the end of the China season. China’s season runs through March.

Smith, an enigmatic but talented scorer, would risk a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract by signing to play in China. If Smith signs with Shanxi, he will be the second free agent the Nuggets have lost to China. Forward Wilson Chandler(notes) has already signed to play in China, which could hurt the Nuggets if the NBA and players union reach a labor agreement that salvages all, or part, of the 2011-12 season.

Neither player will be free to sign with NBA teams until they return from China.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_jr_smith_china_090811

NYKalltheway
09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
cool

Chronz
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
lol at Denver losing its free agents to China, a fact not lost on anyone Im sure but its still hilarious to me

210Don
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
lmao thats funny..
cant believe they lost wilson too

synister281
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Cool opportunity for some of these guys, go live in a foreign country for a year, play ball and be a superstar there. NBA season seems pretty grim, so he'd only be missing a year here but making some nice bank instead of sitting on his butt.

29$JerZ
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Even though I hate the Melo trade this would really be comical for Denver only having Danilo and Mozgov left from the trade and I don't even know what's going to happen with Nene's contract situation.

daleja424
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
this is bad... im sure denver's owner is not in any rush to come back given that all his players are defecting.

Swashcuff
09-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Surprised I'm going to be the first one to mention the Bulls. Some of their fans are going to be pissed.

29$JerZ
09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
this is bad... im sure denver's owner is not in any rush to come back given that all his players are defecting.

That's another side of the story not getting mentioned.
If players are leaving teams to go to China with no clause why would the team want a season?

Although I don't think anyone else will really go to China this should be opening up eyes for both sides.

nycericanguy
09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
That's another side of the story not getting mentioned.
If players are leaving teams to go to China with no clause why would the team want a season?

Although I don't think anyone else will really go to China this should be opening up eyes for both sides.

The only players that I know of that have left for China are from DEN, which might be a more of a reflection of the DEN situation then it is anything else.

One owner won't be able to stop the NBA season from happening.

I think this is why DEN wanted alot of quantity in the Melo trade as well, because they knew Felton & Chandler were pending FA's. Even Gallo we be a RFA next season, as will Mosgov.

NYman15
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Good for him. Now 2 former Denver Nuggets will be playing in China. Both Wilson Chandler and now J.R. Smith.

sep11ie
09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
China? It's like a whole nother country ova there.

nycericanguy
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
The Chinese Nuggets?

sep11ie
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
The Chinese Nuggets?

Are made out of cats.

mightybosstone
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh no! Not JR Smith! what will the NBA owners possibly do without a star like him to rely upon!?!? :rolleyes:

Stack_NJNets
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Just another migraine gone..

dnewguy
09-08-2011, 03:49 PM
bad news for the Chicago Bulls, they might as well start reaching out to Justin Bieber's agent.

Shmontaine
09-08-2011, 04:35 PM
It's a bummer, for sure... but it hasn't happened yet, so i'll hold my reaction...

IMO i don't think china and jr smith would be a good fit... outspoken people who object to authority are usually frowned upon in that society... add to it, there's no right to privacy for anyone in china, government can just go through all your ****, let themselves into your house, eavesdrop on you, etc... i wouldn't like that at all... I would wager jr smith probably wouldn't either...

NYKalltheway
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
^^wtf?

RZZZA
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
bad news for the Chicago Bulls, they might as well start reaching out to Justin Bieber's agent.

sigh...this

Da Knicks
09-08-2011, 04:46 PM
China will be adding 500 more tattoos to the country if this happens.

Shmontaine
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
^^wtf?

https://www.privacyinternational.org/survey/phr2003/countries/china.htm

However, law enforcement officials can issue search warrants on their own authority or else simply ignore legal requirements for independent oversight.[899] "During the year [2002], authorities monitored telephone conversations, facsimile transmissions, e-mail, and Internet communications. Authorities also opened and censored domestic and international mail. The security services routinely monitored and entered residences and offices to gain access to computers, telephones, and fax machines. Government security organs monitored and sometimes restricted contact between foreigners and citizens."[900]

Just sayin...