PDA

View Full Version : NBA with an NFL schedule

Mckphins
09-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Right now the NBA currently has an 82 game season, and yes it seems like a good amount. What got me thinking was the NFL season is 16 regular season games, and then playoffs are just one game knockouts. Now I kno this is because it's harder to play an NFL game with shorter turn around periods. BUT HYPOTHETICALLY, imagine if they played the NBA season just like the NFL?

Meaning every NBA team plays 16games, each a week apart, and then playoffs are just one game knockouts. This would give players much more rest, meaning stars would possibly play the whole entire game without a rest. And the playoffs could be a completely different scenario with teams getting that fluky win they so often get. How do yous think a season like this would go hypothetically? Who would win it all with a season like this?

Chacarron
09-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Just about anyone.

Mckphins
09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Ha here's me thinkin this was interesting

TheChamp
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I would hate this.

JordansBulls
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Right now the NBA currently has an 82 game season, and yes it seems like a good amount. What got me thinking was the NFL season is 16 regular season games, and then playoffs are just one game knockouts. Now I kno this is because it's harder to play an NFL game with shorter turn around periods. BUT HYPOTHETICALLY, imagine if they played the NBA season just like the NFL?

Meaning every NBA team plays 16games, each a week apart, and then playoffs are just one game knockouts. This would give players much more rest, meaning stars would possibly play the whole entire game without a rest. And the playoffs could be a completely different scenario with teams getting that fluky win they so often get. How do yous think a season like this would go hypothetically? Who would win it all with a season like this?

Max contract would be like 2 million bucks because teams wouldn't get any revenue having only 8 home games a year and 20,000 seats to fill instead of 70K.

Jetsguy
09-08-2011, 04:31 PM
eh I wouldnt like it, the 2 are just so much different. NBA players dont need a week to recover, players could play most all game as it is now (thought they dont).

Da Knicks
09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Wouldnt like it, i cant get enough basketball as it is.

JasonJohnHorn
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Well... the Celtics and the Spurs would have likley been playing each other in the finals given how they were both playing at the start of the season, and the Heat wouldnt have even been invited into the post season. So... sounds good to me :)

Interesting scenario. The teams that would do well are the teams whose coaches have good "in game" change ups. In a series some coaches respond from one game to the next. Those are the good coaches. The great coaches don't need to watch the game tape to know where they are failing. Spolstra would bomb in a scenario like this. Pop and Jackson would thrive. So would teams with a lot of depth and variants in style, because a team like, Boston say, could run plays through Rondo, then through Pierce, then work the post with Garnett and Allen doing coming off screens. A team like the Spurs could do the same. They have so many weapons. And the Mavs seemed to have multiple-personality disorder when it came to styles. Terry taking the ball in hand, Kidd making plays, or just dropping it into Dirk. These are the types of teams that can change their plan, and respond in-game.

Teams like the Bulls, Heat, perhaps the Lakers (though Jackson would have been a huge asset) would suffer a bit because the depend so heavily on a certain style that opposing coaches could come prepared with a couple of different stops and by the time the Heat or the Bulls were ready to adjust, the game would be done.

But the one-and-done scenario would allow teams like Charlotte and Denver to push deep. It would be interesting, but I like it as is. If there were changes, I would like to see teams play everybody outside their division twice, on the road and at home, and then the teams within their division 4 times. I think that would work. Deal breakers would go by total points between the meetings (meaning teams would have to play the full 48 minutes and avoid blow-outs in order to get homecourt advantage).

ManningToTyree
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Wouldnt like it, i cant get enough basketball as it is.

This.

Evolution23
09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Hey turtle how does it feel to be a millionaire?

Mckphins
09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Hey turtle how does it feel to be a millionaire?

Good man, come buy some clams

topdog
09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
What would be the point? Think of the other major sports like hockey and baseball and then think about football again. All the other sports play a ton of games because they are not even close to being as physically taxing (someone gets knocked to the ground on every play) and have much smaller rosters (football would be really expensive to fund if you had to pay 40 guys for 40 games).

Mckphins
09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
What would be the point? Think of the other major sports like hockey and baseball and then think about football again. All the other sports play a ton of games because they are not even close to being as physically taxing (someone gets knocked to the ground on every play) and have much smaller rosters (football would be really expensive to fund if you had to pay 40 guys for 40 games).

It was hypothetical