PDA

View Full Version : Should The NBA Let HS Players Enter The NBA Draft?

Fresno
09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I think so.

"1 & Dones" have brought a shady dynamic to college basketball with street agents/entourages, financial benefactors from shoe companies(Nike/Adidas "runners"), boosters paying players, hiring HS/AAU coaches to lure players, & coaches breaking rules to get top "1 & Done" recruits.

With the talk of bringing back the 3rd round, it would make sense to allow that extra boost of talent to be with HS players entering the draft.

For the most part, the "Elite" HS players in the country are usually showcasing if they have NBA talent or not. The ones who do not feel ready can always go to college for 1 year much like Melo & Bosh did and maintain their draft stock as a top 5-10 pick.

HS players can enter the draft without an agent, but still opt to go to college if they dont get good feedback.

At the same time, the 1 major difference between now & then is with the D-League so teams can assign their young players there to get experience if they arent ready to contribute immediately. It would turn the D-League into a legit minor league system for the NBA and make it more profitable.

Top 2012 recruits:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2509

Of the top 2012 recruits, you'd probably see 10-20 players enter in 2012. Only a handful look to be guaranteed 1st rounders, but we all know a lot of these guys will be in the NBA one day regardless.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
yep, and not only seniors.

they should be able to sign 14 year olders too.

if they can play pro soccer or rugby, or handball or whatever in the rest of the world they can play basket too.

MiamiWadeCounty
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
The answer is yes.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
No.

Stern is actually doing a good thing since I think it limits the chance of failures.

What are the chances you'll be a stable player straight out of HS. If the case is that you end up sucking, you have no education to fall back on.

At least with a year or 2 in college, you develop your game better and in case you still suck, you have the option to finish your studies.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes if your old enough 2 go 2 war @ 18. your old enough 2 play basketball

SeoulBeatz
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Yes.

Kids are abusing this one and done system anyways so i dont see why not.

The majority of the kids who aspire to be pros aren't going to college for an education. They're looking to go to a top flight basketball school that will best help them take that next step.

I know a guy named Ibby (Ibrahim) Jaaber who got a full ride to WVU, Miami, and UPenn for basketball.

He chose UPenn because he wanted an education because he didn't think basketball would be his life.

If aspiring NBA players were going to college for an education the Ivy League would be stacked lmao.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 10:16 PM
No.

Stern is actually doing a good thing since I think it limits the chance of failures.

What are the chances you'll be a stable player straight out of HS. If the case is that you end up sucking, you have no education to fall back on.

At least with a year or 2 in college, you develop your game better and in case you still suck, you have the option to finish your studies.

How many players who suck after leaving after 1 year or 2 years of college end up going back? A vast majority of these guys are trying to get to the NBA first and foremost, they could care less about getting an "education". These guys only stick around an extra year if they are worried about their draft stock.

If they end up out of the NBA, they are somewhere else trying to get paid.

Do you see the majors these schools put some of these 1 & Done guys in? :laugh2:

I mean seriously this whole sham of 1 & Done guys having to go to college is just a joke to everyone involved.

Like Bob Knight pointed out, you only need to pass 2 classes to be eligible for the Fall semester, and after January you dont need to go to class anymore if you're certain you're going pro.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes.

Kids are abusing this one and done system anyways so i dont see why not.

The majority of the kids who aspire to be pros aren't going to college for an education. They're looking to go to a top flight basketball school that will best help them take that next step.

I know a guy named Ibby (Ibrahim) Jaaber who got a full ride to WVU, Miami, and UPenn for basketball.

He chose UPenn because he wanted an education because he didn't think basketball would be his life.

If aspiring NBA players were going to college for an education the Ivy League would be stacked lmao.
This.

The shoe companies are making it easier getting involved with these kids early and guiding them to certain programs for exposure. They sponsor their AAU basketball teams, give them free gear, and have a "gentleman's agreement" on sponsoring them as professionals back when they are 15 or 16 years old.

Thats how Derrick Rose ended up at Memphis thanks to Adidas being his financial benefactor via "World Wide Wes". College basketball fans know who he is.

You can name like 5-10 coaches in the last 5 years who ended up getting fired/resigning or on probation due to these 1 & Dones.

Its really messing up the college game.

calakers
09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
If i were an NBA team i wouldnt want a hs player who only plays against bad competition and when he were to get drafted he would be a total bust. I think it would be better if they went to college and played better competition to prove they are good enough but then thats just my opinion

ManningToTyree
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
It is not any easy decision but I say yes. Like the Op, i don't like how the one and done requirement has effected NCCAB. Also, success stories like Lebron, Dwight Howard, and Amare make me think everyone should have the right to jump right in. I don't know that the argument that there would be more failures holds any weight. Would a single season of collegiate ball really have aided the likes of Darius Miles and Eddy Curry? I have my doubts.

Corey
09-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Nope. I think everyone should get some sort of college experience and at least start towards a degree even if they have no intention on getting it.

lurkinglionsfan
09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
i want it like the NFL system

Fresno
09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
yep, and not only seniors.

they should be able to sign 14 year olders too.

if they can play pro soccer or rugby, or handball or whatever in the rest of the world they can play basket too.

It wouldnt work here in the United States because we dont have youth systems for every sport. We just have High School sports serving as that role. So plucking 14 year olds out of the HS ranks wouldnt work because they've not been conditioned enough to compete with men who are older, stronger, smarter.

But I'm 100% for developing legit Youth League Systems for the NFL & NBA.

These athletes know if they are serious about a sport at an early age by their dedication & talent. Usually those ones stand out among everyone else. If you start preparing them like future professionals at 13 or 14 instead of them having to learn how to be a professional at 20 or 21, then you'll improve the quality of play in both sports.

MLB teams figured it out awhile ago. Thats why they sign young talented baseball players in the Carribean at 15 years old. Then everyone wonders why so many of them are more advanced/talented than American players who spent 4 years in HS and/or 3 years in college.

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
yes. College basketball is suffering from this one n done rule.

Korman12
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
i want it like the NFL system

This, 150%

Want college to stop grinding through one year players? Make them play three. The NFL system is perfect.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 10:48 PM
It is not any easy decision but I say yes. Like the Op, i don't like how the one and done requirement has effected NCCAB. Also, success stories like Lebron, Dwight Howard, and Amare make me think everyone should have the right to jump right in. I don't know that the argument that there would be more failures holds any weight. Would a single season of collegiate ball really have aided the likes of Darius Miles and Eddy Curry? I have my doubts.

Exactly.

There isnt anything that 1 year..err 5 months of college would do to change their character or their game. It basically would've just postponed them from getting to the NBA by 1 year, and in that 1 year they would've drove their coach insane dealing with them.

It isnt hard either to spot those type of kids at 18 because they already are developing their personality. I knew Josh Selby, Lance Stephenson, DeMarcus Cousins, Michael Beasley, etc were going to be knuckleheads just off of seeing how they handle themselves in HS. You want to speak like an idiot, yell at coaches, & have temper tantrums on the court it stands out among the rest.

1 year of college didnt do them anything.

They would still be the same way with or without the sham 1 year rule that had them play in college.

theheatles
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
let em make the jump

da ThRONe
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I just don't see the point of the 1 year thing. If you are an unmotivated immature 18 year old. You'll be a unmotivated immature 19 year old.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
This, 150%

Want college to stop grinding through one year players? Make them play three. The NFL system is perfect.

Basketball isnt like Football.

For football you need 3 years in college to physically develop for the NFL game. Even then, everyone puts an asterisk for most underclassmen and whether they'll adjust immediately to the NFL. Remember it used to be 4 years. There isnt any Freshman in college football who could play in the NFL right now, except Clowney, but hes a freak.

A 18 year old out of HS or a 20 year old with 1-2 years in college can come into the NBA and outplay a 10 year vet easily. NBA is all about individual talent, the physical maturity aspect is there but it isnt that important. This is a league where a MVP can be 22 years old.

3 years in college basketball wouldnt make sense for every player. Players with NBA aspirations would just go to Europe for 1 or 2 years, and that would be a lot of the best players.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Nope. I think everyone should get some sort of college experience and at least start towards a degree even if they have no intention on getting it.

Nothing beats the college "experience". But, it shouldnt be forced on every player like it is now. If you're 18 you should have the choice to bypass it for the value & financial security of a professional basketball career.

Just because it may fail in the NBA doesn't mean that they'll run back to school either. A "Professional Basketball Player" is the dream many have and their education towards it is on the hardware.

theheatles
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Basketball isnt like Football.

For football you need 3 years in college to physically develop for the NFL game. Even then, everyone puts an asterisk for most underclassmen and whether they'll adjust immediately to the NFL. Remember it used to be 4 years. There isnt any Freshman in college football who could play in the NFL right now, except Clowney, but hes a freak.

A 18 year old out of HS or a 20 year old with 1-2 years in college can come into the NBA and outplay a 10 year vet easily. NBA is all about individual talent, the physical maturity aspect is there but it isnt that important. This is a league where a MVP can be 22 years old.

3 years in college basketball wouldnt make sense for every player. Players with NBA aspirations would just go to Europe for 1 or 2 years, and that would be a lot of the best players.

John Madden once commented at DJ Williams' high school banquet during his senior year that the star linebacker was the only player he saw who could ever go from high school directly to the pros.

Corey
09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Nothing beats the college "experience". But, it shouldnt be forced on every player like it is now. If you're 18 you should have the choice to bypass it for the value & financial security of a professional basketball career.

Just because it may fail in the NBA doesn't mean that they'll run back to school either. A "Professional Basketball Player" is the dream many have and their education towards it is on the hardware.

That's the other side of the coin. I just disagree with it.

Someone else mentioned the NFL system, that's really what should happen. Works perfect there, and just about everyone can get a degree in three years.

mzgrizz
09-07-2011, 11:51 PM
End the farce that dominates too many one and done colleges.

Ovratd1up
09-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes.

The money.

It's important.

To the kids.

And their families.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes.

The money.

It's important.

To the kids.

And their families.

no one stops them from signing in europe and geting a contract from 200000 (after taxes) Dollars a year to maybe 750000 ( after taxes dollars) maybe 1 million if they are expeceted to be superb like lebron.

Mano86
09-08-2011, 12:05 AM
I say yes, but I would make it like this.

1. If the HS player player gets drafted in the 1st round then he is in the NBA.

2. If the HS player gets drafted in the second round or goes undrafted
- the drafted player can either try to make it in the NBA as a 2nd rnd draft pick/undrafted player or decide to go to college and the drafting team would be awarded a 2nd rnd pick for the next years draft
- players that decide to go to college would have to repay all the money and gifts they may have received from agents and other people in order to be NCAA eligible.
-players that decide to go to college would also not be eligible to enter the NBA draft again until after their junior year(3 years).

3. Players that dont declare for the draft out of HS can declare for the whenever they choose.

its basically like a second chance clause to the non Lebron James and Dwight Howards of the world.

LakersIn5
09-08-2011, 12:36 AM
they should! if the player is talented enough and is meant for the nba it doesnt mean jack playing 1 year in college. a player could play 4 years in college but still suck balls and a player could enter the nba from high school and be a god. ie: shelden williams and dwight.