PDA

View Full Version : NBA To Have A New NBA Draft System To Help Bad Teams

Fresno
09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
You're talking about major changes to the NBA if this goes down.

What if all 30 of the NBA's first-round draft picks went to the 15 teams with the worst records?

That is one proposal on the table -- offered by the players union -- to help the league's competitive balance, according to a report from SheridanHoops.com.

A league proposal aimed at the same goal would add a third round, according to the website. The NBA draft has been limited to two rounds since 1988.

But limiting first-round selections to teams coming off awful or mediocre seasons is the most eye-catching suggestion reported by SheridanHoops.com. Teams with the worst records would get picks 1-through-15, and then would go around again for Nos. 16-30. Then the teams with the best 15 records would split the second round, taking Nos. 31-45, and going around again for 46-60.

Another idea under consideration, according to the website, would give each of the teams with the eight worst records and additional first-round pick, starting at No. 22. In that scenario, the teams with the best eight records would be excluded from the first round, but would get the first eight picks of the second round.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/nba-may-overhaul-draft-to-help-weak-teams/1

I love the idea.

Only problem is there are dumb GM's out there who'll trade away their picks for some scrub allowing a good team to snatch a Lottery Pick up.

coryd238
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't like it, it's going to be terrible for the average teams. How the hell would they build?

Just do a draft like the NFL, no more of this lottery ****.

WolvesJagsOs
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I hate the whole lottery thing as well.

I think this would be good as a Wolves fan, thats foresure. Sure, you wont find a superstar at the 16th pick prolly, but you can still find some pretty good players there in some of the drafts. 3rd round i think would be stupid, there isnt much talent that far down.

beasted86
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
The second paragraph has some sound reasoning, but top 15 is a bad cutoff point.

Team like the Pacers, Rockets, and other mediocre teams need a first round pick. I saw one proposal that had a different cutoff at top 8 instead. That would be more reasonable. 8 worst records get another first round pick, and best 8 records only get a 2nd round pick.

topdog
09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't like it for lottery teams because of international contracts and the fact that there are some really good international players that can only realistically be brought over as 2nd rounders (unless rules also change about how much money you can offer 1st round picks).

I don't like it for the playoff teams because it prevents them from building the next generation of winners and picking up cheap role players.

It is in some ways intriguing, but I prefer keeping things as they are and just protecting a team's right to retain its draft picks.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I hate the whole lottery thing as well.

I think this would be good as a Wolves fan, thats foresure. Sure, you wont find a superstar at the 16th pick prolly, but you can still find some pretty good players there in some of the drafts. 3rd round i think would be stupid, there isnt much talent that far down.

The whole idea of a 3rd round makes me think they're about to allow HS players to enter again & allow teams to "claim" European prospects in Round 3. That is the only way you'll have extra talent available to fill out another 30 picks.

Because sticking with this current system, you'd have 4 year guys like Gilbert Brown, Gary McGee, Brad Wannamaker, Julyan Stone, etc going in Round 3. Which would basically be a wasted round.

With the way guys having their egos "gassed up" now in the HS/AAU ranks about their own talent, you'd probably have 2x more guys entering out of HS than it was when they stopped it in 2005. So you add in 16 HS players and a 3rd round seems possible.

3mikee_
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Don't like it... too imbalanced.. like a poster said already, we going to get a lot of dumb gm's out there that will trade away their picks for overvalued guys and just make the better teams even better.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't like it for lottery teams because of international contracts and the fact that there are some really good international players that can only realistically be brought over as 2nd rounders (unless rules also change about how much money you can offer 1st round picks).

I don't like it for the playoff teams because it prevents them from building the next generation of winners and picking up cheap role players.

It is in some ways intriguing, but I prefer keeping things as they are and just protecting a team's right to retain its draft picks.

Usually most of the "busts" are confined to picks 20-30 for Playoff teams.

The lack of a "need" for a player is what causes it to happen. Sometimes a Playoff team might draft a guy towards the end of Round 1 who turns out to be a great fit and get minutes, but most of the time those picks arent valuable to them. Those picks are far more valuable to a bad team because any guy taken between 20-30 is going to get minutes on a losing team.

Just look at the 2011 NBA Draft for example:

The only non-Playoff team(New Jersey) grabbed the only guy in Marshon Brooks who is expected to get big minutes as a rookie. 7 Sr's(Reggie Jackson graduated in 3 years), 2 Euro's who arent coming over, & a developmental PG prospect in Cory Joseph went in those picks.

If you let Cleveland, Toronto, Washington, Sacramento, Detroit, & Minnesota have those picks they'd be drafting guys who are going to play minutes for them this season.

Fresno
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't like it... too imbalanced.. like a poster said already, we going to get a lot of dumb gm's out there that will trade away their picks for overvalued guys and just make the better teams even better.

Yep.

Trading picks becomes more valuable because you're getting 2 1st Rounders instead of 1.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
The only thing I could see happening is the worst 8 teams getting an additional first round pick at the end of the first round. This way it helps bad teams revuild quicker, and the top 8 teams in the league get good depth in the begining of the 2nd.

NYman15
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
It makes some sense, but I don't see the 2nd idea happening. I could see them adding a 3rd round, but the problem is, there are maybe 1/2 of the 2nd round picks that make any impact with just a few of them really helping a team and so then you want to add another round, what could work is maybe if you use the D League has a minor league system so you could stash some of the draft picks down there.

ne3xchamps
09-07-2011, 06:56 PM
the nba's draft is dumb as **** already with the whole lottery thing. This would just put the draft on a whole epic level of dumb. I don't see a problem with a 3rd round, but there isn't enough roster spots IMO to justify a 3rd round. 15 rosters spots for each team doesn't seem like enough for a 3rd round.

ne3xchamps
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't like it, it's going to be terrible for the average teams. How the hell would they build?

Just do a draft like the NFL, no more of this lottery ****.

amen brother! :clap: About time I found someone else that thinks the lottery draft is rigged and complete ********.