PDA

View Full Version : What was the difference in Dallas

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Dallas has had a consistently great player in Dirk to build around for a decade. They've been to the finals before. They've had the best record before. They've had a great PG before (Nash) and great pieces around Dirk like Finley.

So what was it that put them over the top this year?
Finally having a legit center?
Defence by guys like Kidd, Marion and Chandler?
Depth? Having a guy as good a Peja as a 12th man?
Experience?

Lets hear why you guys think Dallas was finally able to put the critics to rest.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
injured kobe + unfocused Pau.

incomplete team building and figuring out how to use W, B and LB.

thats what happened.

Avenged
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Depth in their starting 5 and bench.

They had shooters, defenders, veterans, leaders, a good coach, an owner willing to spend, a superstar..

They were the total package.

Ebbs
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
In reality it's impossible to give all the credit to one factor. But hands down the biggest factor was Tyson Chandler. Having a defensive minded Center who could play great help defense and rebound on both ends is somethign Dallas has never had in the Dirk era. Dirk isn't a bad man to man defender where he has always struggled is getting over to cover the lane and Tyson covers that up. Team defense, Dirk beasting in the playoffs, consistency from Terry, and depth all were huge too.

Swashcuff
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Depth in their starting 5 and bench.

They had shooters, defenders, veterans, leaders, a good coach, an owner willing to spend, a superstar..

They were the total package.

:nod:

A top 12 player at each position (Kidd, Terry, Marion, Dirk, Chandler).

JordansBulls
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Dampier was no longer the center.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Chandler.

**** MJ for withdrawing his deal with us.

SteBO
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I voted Tyson Chandler, but I think their overall depth and their perfect mix of players is what won it for them. That team just had a perfect mix guys, a good coach, and a good bench which is something that hasn't really been seen since the '04 Pistons.

Tom Stone
09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
There is so many varibles to why it was the Mavs year.....I find it funny that people try to put it on one or two or even three things, I could list ten easy.

beasted86
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Overall depth & experience.

It's obvious Chandler + Haywood >>>>> Dampier + Haywood, but Chandler is not the reason the Mavericks won, only a factor.

naps
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Depth, experience, and chandler. Chandler made up for Dirk's defensive lacking.

Da Knicks
09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
injured kobe + unfocused Pau.

incomplete team building and figuring out how to use W, B and LB.

thats what happened.

I usually dont like to say someone hates but come on dude, give them some credit. The lakers tried hard but you cannot beat a team that is hitting on all cylinders. Terry was just hitting three after three and Dirk was just not going to be denied. Chandler was able to man the middle and not let people get layups. By the way they didnt just beat the Lakers they beat a bunch of other good teams. I used to like reading your posts but you are just getting ridiculous with all the Dirk and mavs hate.

Lakersfan2483
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Tyson Chandler was a huge difference maker for the Mavs in that they finally had a defensive anchor down low. Also, Dirk took his game to a whole new level from when he went to the finals in 06. His offensive game is complete now and he operates on the low block, major diff. from previous years. His ability to carry a team offensively, especially in the 4th quarter gave the Mavs a major boost. He also put major pressure on the other team's defense as he was able to get to the line more than any other player not named Dwight Howard. His ability to drive and draw fouls paid dividends for his team.

The last thing was depth. The Mavs were the deepest team in the NBA. Anytime you lose a player of Caron Butler's caliber and can replace him with Shawn Marion and Peja, you know you have a deep, deep team.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I usually dont like to say someone hates but come on dude, give them some credit. The lakers tried hard but you cannot beat a team that is hitting on all cylinders. Terry was just hitting three after three and Dirk was just not going to be denied. Chandler was able to man the middle and not let people get layups. By the way they didnt just beat the Lakers they beat a bunch of other good teams. I used to like reading your posts but you are just getting ridiculous with all the Dirk and mavs hate.

thats what im saying, they clicked in 100% cylinders.

Lakers or Heat didnt.

What is different from previous years?

lakers and Spurs not running at max of their ability.

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Lechoke

TheNumber37
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Tyson got then over the hump, no doubt. But, it was the coaching, defense, teamwork, experience, the ownership, the depth and Dirk's work offensively. Any body that even mentions the Lakers or the Heat, may as well say that the Mavs won because they didn't trade Dirk, or that he was healthy and focused.

ragee
09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
It is two things. One is finally having a good center that made the Mavs defense so much better. Another one is the fact that Dirk's teammates has finally stopped choking. Dirk has always been great in the playoffs except for the Warriors' series where he was triple teamed and could not really do anything and the 06 finals where he did choke. Other than that, he performed at a higher level as compared to his regualr season performance. The problem with Dallas over the years was he did not get consistent help.

RevisIsland
09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
It was a bunch of things, but mostly in the past someone else has always taken over the series while Dirk pretty much watched helplessly (Wade in '06 is a perfect example). This year he pretty much decided "there is no ****ing way we're losing", and played the best basketball of his life.

llemon
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Tyson Chandler.

Michael Jordan responsible for another NBA Title.

calakers
09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
it has to be their depth every one contributed some how every one was debendable. Specially on offence they were just unstopable

cbs134679
09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Theres no one factor for the mavs getting over the hump they just had a combination of everything from depth, experience, defense, size, athleticism coaching, chemistry and most importantly a closer.

LTBaByyy
09-07-2011, 08:23 PM
DEPTH!!!!!! This was the depth chart at the beginning of the season:

Kidd, JJ
Roddy B, Terry, D Jones
Butler, Stevenson, Peja(signed later), Brewer (trade later)
Dirk, Marion, Cardinal
Chandler, Haywood, Mahinmi

Evolution23
09-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Vertarans like Kidd and Marion held down the Mavs when they needed leadership. Chandler was huge for them in the middle with rebounding and shot blocking (one of the bigger reasons for the Mavs success). Other roll players like Barrea and Terry who were insanely clutch and backed up their smack talk. Also Dirk took over the entire playoffs especially in the finals. So it was a combination of all these factors, i chose option 2 as it's the closest to my reasoning.

Geargo Wallace
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
luck was on their side for once

LakersIn5
09-08-2011, 03:07 AM
the difference was, the LAKERS sucked last season. even the entire PSD voted that the lakers will 3peat as champs before the season but they just sucked.

DodgerBulls
09-08-2011, 03:31 AM
You can definitely see the difference once Tyson arrived. Not only that, their depth. Then there's Dirk, he pretty much was consistent through out.

EDIT: Also, great move by not forcing their rotation to add in Butler when post season came... unlike the Magic did.

Bulls_fan90
09-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Lebron choking + Dallas awesome defense.

millerandco
09-08-2011, 05:57 AM
depth

TC

and actually playing like a team. everyone contributed on different nights to take up the slack from dirk

3ballbomber
09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I've always believed since Miami won against them in 2006 that they were in need of a decent center. I've always said about Dallas that they will not win a title with a 7 footer allergic to boards and opts for J's & 3's. Yes Marions Defense makes an impact & kidd at point makes a difference but it's Chandler that changed the dynamics of that team. Chandler out boarded everyone of Miami's centers and bigs. He averaged almost double figures in rebounds and on average doubled each of Miami's centers in boards. What was one of Miami's main weakness apart from the 1 spot? was the 5 spot. Chandler was key!

heyman321
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Isn't it obvious? Tyson Chandler. The only reason Dirk was able to go off every game offensively is because Chandler and Marion would pick up defense and help so much. To win in this league you need a good or at least competent center.

GhostfaceDrilla
09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Only obvious reason: Dirk.

But like Jordan needed Pippen and Kobe needed Shaq/Gasol, Dirk needed some players around him as well.

1. DEFENSE. Chandler was the DPOY had it not been for Dwight Howard, Marion, Kidd, and Stevenson were all stud defenders, and everyone else committed to playing D.

2. 3 point shooting. Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Peja, Stevenson are all elite 3 point shooters as was shown in the Finals especially against LA and OKC.

3. Ability of one player to step up at a random time. Barea had about 6 or 7 games where he flat out took over in the late 3rd and 4th, Peja had a few games where he was the best scorer on the floor lol, Stevenson was a HUGE player as his defense and 3 point shooting were unbelievable, Ian Mahinmi and Brewer played a few solid fill in minutes here and there, and Haywood was an excellent backup in the playoffs.

4. Dirk showed just why he is the most clutch player in the game and how his playoff form is even better than his reg season MVP form. Best scorer, shooter, clutch in the game.

Chronz
09-08-2011, 12:19 PM
So are you guys convinced this was Dirks best team and/or his best support?

llemon
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM

His best Center, making it his best defensive team

Cool007
09-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I voted Tyson Chandler, but I think their overall depth and their perfect mix of players is what won it for them. That team just had a perfect mix guys, a good coach, and a good bench which is something that hasn't really been seen since the '04 Pistons.

This

There is so many varibles to why it was the Mavs year.....I find it funny that people try to put it on one or two or even three things, I could list ten easy.

And this.

They had so many things going right. LeBron playing like that pathetic since the his last finals which was like 5 years back. Dirk being Dirk but WISER, Kidd and Marion providing solid defense and filling their roles perfectly.

Chandler protecting the rim (something you need to have for a title team), Terry picking up when Dirk was struggling and then some, Bench (Barea and Stevenson with some great games and provided much needed help at times) and then there is coaching. Rick Carlisle made some HUGE decisions that normally other coaches wouldn't and it really clicked and paid off. Major props to him.

So IMO, there were so many variables and everything just happened perfectly for Mavs - they totally deserved that championship.

Although, I highly doubt that everything clicks again for them next year. We shall see.

Fnom11
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Easily Tyson.

Stack_NJNets
09-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Depth and experience. Also a brilliant coach and one of the best PG's to ever play the game.

Stack_NJNets
09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I also hate how people on PSD mess up spelling defense :(

Hellcrooner
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Best team as in quality of players ? Nope that would be some of the combinations when Nash was around, finley in his prime etc or even 06.

Most cohesive with the right pieces? HANDS DOWN