PDA

View Full Version : George Mikan

JasonJohnHorn
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Can we all agree that this guy would be losing roster spots to Scalabrine if he was around today? I've seen so many people mentioning him lately. The dude played in a segragated league while the best players on the planet weren't even allowed to compete, He only managed to play seven years, he had a pathetic FG%, and the only reason he grabbed so many rebounds was because he missed so many shots! Seriously. His stats are inflated and once the league actually got competative, he couldnt evens steal floor time away from Clyde Lovellette.

So lets get this things done. Lets hear why you agree with me, or why you think I'm an idiot, and fill out the poll on your way in.

Cheers!

Swashcuff
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Most dominant player ever (relative to era) may be an appropriate title for Mikan.

Astronaut
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Most dominant player ever (relative to era) may be an appropriate title for Mikan.

Agreed, the answer to the OP question is pretty obvious. If this was today, he simply couldn't compete against someone like Shaq, Russell, Dwight, etc.. However, he is probably the most dominant player ever(era), he's the reason the goaltending rule was introduced.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/j/ap/ny15106021740.widec.jpg

tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies....

llemon
09-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I obviously never saw him play, but from all indications, it seems he was the best player of his time.

Avenged
09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Losing a roster spot to Scalabrine? What..

mightybosstone
09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
The dude played only 5 1/2 seasons, and the majority of his career was without a shot clock. Also, his field goal shooting was atrocious if you look at his stats. Everyone keeps saying that he was the best player "of his era," but I would take it a step further. How about, the "best player of the pre-shot clock era." That seems completely reasonable and separates how much the game changed after that rule implementation and more black athletes playing the sport in the 60s.

LAKERMANIA
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/j/ap/ny15106021740.widec.jpg

tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies....

lol

Swashcuff
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
The dude played only 5 1/2 seasons, and the majority of his career was without a shot clock. Also, his field goal shooting was atrocious if you look at his stats. Everyone keeps saying that he was the best player "of his era," but I would take it a step further. How about, the "best player of the pre-shot clock era." That seems completely reasonable and separates how much the game changed after that rule implementation and more black athletes playing the sport in the 60s.

Well that's generally the universal understanding of what exactly is the "Mikan era".

http://books.google.tt/books?id=JiMUHHirvs0C&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=mikan+rules&source=bl&ots=o23hWBZqGE&sig=whjUUtSfh7ZHpn7R9aYFZe9L_EU&hl=en&ei=peNnTv2gL4GgtweUuIy-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=mikan%20rules&f=false

13 rules were changed as a result of Mikan's dominance.

Though he may not be that flashy statistically or anything who was during his time? No one.

JordansBulls
09-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Can we all agree that this guy would be losing roster spots to Scalabrine if he was around today? I've seen so many people mentioning him lately. The dude played in a segragated league while the best players on the planet weren't even allowed to compete, He only managed to play seven years, he had a pathetic FG%, and the only reason he grabbed so many rebounds was because he missed so many shots! Seriously. His stats are inflated and once the league actually got competative, he couldnt evens steal floor time away from Clyde Lovellette.

So lets get this things done. Lets hear why you agree with me, or why you think I'm an idiot, and fill out the poll on your way in.

Cheers!

Dude you are a hypocrite. You say you can deal with Russell being called the greatest and yet you say a guy who retired in 1956 which was one year earlier than Russell came into the league wouldn't be even as good as Scalabrine.

Chronz
09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Well that's generally the universal understanding of what exactly is the "Mikan era".

http://books.google.tt/books?id=JiMUHHirvs0C&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=mikan+rules&source=bl&ots=o23hWBZqGE&sig=whjUUtSfh7ZHpn7R9aYFZe9L_EU&hl=en&ei=peNnTv2gL4GgtweUuIy-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=mikan%20rules&f=false

13 rules were changed as a result of Mikan's dominance.

Though he may not be that flashy statistically or anything who was during his time? No one.

You talking **** about JUMPING JOE FULKS? He would smash on the best small guys of today, shame he was a center in his day.

Swashcuff
09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
You talking **** about JUMPING JOE FULKS? He would smash on the best small guys of today, shame he was a center in his day.

Fulks' stats were impressive? :confused:

In his era yea. What about all time?

My rebuttal was to the poster who said he didn't have a solid FG%

Chronz
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
lol at you not seeing the sarcasm

Swashcuff
09-08-2011, 12:45 PM
lol at you not seeing the sarcasm

You aren't one who's known for his sarcasm Chronz. My bad tho :D