PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank these guys in order as far as popularity is concerned ....

JordansBulls
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
How would you rank these guys in order as far as popularity is concerned around the world when in there primes?

Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
Garnett
Tmac
Iverson
Lebron
Wade
Dwight
Nash
Dirk

D-Will4Prez
09-07-2011, 10:41 AM
You bored JB? :rolleyes:

kingkenny01
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Tier 1(women who know nothing about sports can names these players)
Shaq,Kobe, Lebron (Imfamy is still Popularity)
Tier 2
The rest

Sly Guy
09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Tier 1(women who know nothing about sports can names these players)
Shaq,Kobe, Lebron (Imfamy is still Popularity)
Tier 2
The rest

agreed. We need to consult the housewives of orange county for this one.

NYKalltheway
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Around the WORLD?

Shaq 10/10
Duncan 9/10
Kobe 10/10
Garnett 7/10
Tmac 8/10
Iverson 9/10
Lebron 10/10
Wade 9/10
Dwight 7/10
Nash 8/10
Dirk 10/10

AIsixersFK
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Just asked my grandmother if she had heard of said players. Response

Shaq- yes
Duncan- no
Kobe-yes
Garnett-no
T-Mac-no
Iverson-YES
LeBron-yes
Wade-yes
Dwight-no
Nash-no
Dirk-yes

LakersIn5
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Shaq- yes
Duncan- no
Kobe-yes
Garnett-no
T-Mac-no
Iverson-YES
LeBron-yes
Wade-yes
Dwight-no
Nash-no
Dirk-yes

:clap:

Sly Guy
09-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Shaq- yes
Duncan- no
Kobe-yes
Garnett-no
T-Mac-no
Iverson-YES
LeBron-yes
Wade-yes
Dwight-no
Nash-no
Dirk-yes

I like it. A nice scientific study.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Shaq- yes
Duncan- no
Kobe-yes
Garnett-no
T-Mac-no
Iverson-YES
LeBron-yes
Wade-yes
Dwight-no
Nash-no
Dirk-yes

/thread

JordansBulls
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Shaq- yes
Duncan- no
Kobe-yes
Garnett-no
T-Mac-no
Iverson-YES
LeBron-yes
Wade-yes
Dwight-no
Nash-no
Dirk-yes

That's just a yes or not, that doesn't show who was more popular around the world in order.

pd7631
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Jersey sales in China (2006–2009)

2008/2009

Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Dwyane Wade
Yao Ming
Chris Paul
Allen Iverson
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony

2007/2008

Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Paul Pierce
Allen Iverson
Gilbert Arenas
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

2006/2007

Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Tracy McGrady
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Yao Ming
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Carmelo Anthony
Gilbert Arenas

pd7631
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
The NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York tipped off their 10th anniversary celebrations yesterday by unveiling the store's Most Popular Jerseys sold from the past decade. Here's a look at the list:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Allen Iverson
4. LeBron James
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Tracy McGrady
7. Dwyane Wade
8. Jason Kidd
9. Vince Carter
10. Tim Duncan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Top-10-most-and-least-popular-jerseys-from-the?urn=nba-73743

heyman321
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Top-10-most-and-least-popular-jerseys-from-the?urn=nba-73743

THat's based on one store in New York, with jerseys bought mostly by New Yorkers, that's bankrupt now. The tourists that go there to check it out won't come close to global sales combined in other countries.

pd7631
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
THat's based on one store in New York, with jerseys bought mostly by New Yorkers, that's bankrupt now. The tourists that go there to check it out won't come close to global sales combined in other countries.

A.) It's the only NBA store in the U.S.

B.) I'm fairly certain that it combines online sales as well

C.) I provided jersey sales in China in the post above that as well

D.) I'm not using the examples I posted as a definitive analysis of popularity, rather I'm presenting them to give some sort of context to the situation

Does anything about that list seem that out of line anyway?

mightybosstone
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I think it's an interesting question, JB. But I would like clarification on something. Does "popularity" have to mean the player is well liked or well followed? Because everybody knows the nerdiest kids in school, but that doesn't mean they're well liked. For example... Lebron is no doubt the most well known figure in the NBA right now, but if you asked if he was well liked by the world, a year ago I would have said he's the most liked and today I would say he might be the least liked.

So, basically, does likability have ANYTHING to do with our rankings, or is it just based solely on how well the players are known around the world?

Sadds The Gr8
09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
1. Kobe
2. Lebron
3. Shaq
4. AI
5. Wade
6. Duncan
7. KG
8. Dirk
9. Dwight
10. T-Mac
11. Nash

I'd say the dropoff is pretty big after AI.

mightybosstone
09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Not taking likability into consideration at all, and considering this is all based on the peak of their popularity my list would be:

1. Lebron
2. Shaq
3. Kobe
4. AI
5. Wade
6. Dirk
7. T-Mac
8. Duncan
9. KG
10. Dwight
11. Nash

My list generally favors wing players and scorers over big men, because generally those players are more popular. AI, Wade and McGrady, despite only one championship between them, seem to be extremely popular players because of their scoring abilities, even though Duncan, KG and Dwight are/were superior players in their primes.

Shaq is the only big man to crack the top 5, but he brought trophies back to LA, and I gave him the edge over Kobe because he was clearly the most popular player on those first three championship teams. He was also in a handful of feature films, and easily the most entertaining interview.

I gave Dirk a bump based solely on this championship. Otherwise, he probably would have dropped down to 9 or 10. I think the fact that he's from Germany and such an International basketball star, as well as his high scoring numbers, help his case, as well.

Based on skill alone, Duncan would probably be No. 1 in my book, but his style of play is boring to most, and I would have to look at the NBA ratings, but my guess is that the Finals did really poorly in those Spurs championship years. The same thing for KG and Dwight, plus KG was irrelevant in the postseason until Boston. Nash brings up the rear, but I wonder if he's popular because of his ball handling skills? He's hard to judge, but I would think he'd be the least popular...