PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers - Contenders?

fadedmario
09-07-2011, 12:14 AM
What are your thoughts on the boys from the D? Could they do some damage in the playoffs? Do they have a legitimate shot at making it to the World Series? Or do the Yankees and Red Sox have too much firepower? This isn't a homer thread - just wanted some feedback from MLB fans. Tigers have turned a corner. What's the ceiling this year for Detroit? Welcome all opinions, good or bad. :)

.258 AVG, 9 HR, 42 RBI - Austin Jackson
.283 AVG, 16 HR, 54 RBI - Brennan Boesch *(injured - replaced by Dirks)*
.257 AVG, 7 HR, 25 RBI - Andy Dirks (probably bat 2nd in playoffs) - (or Magglio Ordonez)
.276 AVG, 7 HR, 49 RBI - Delmon Young
.331 AVG, 26 HR, 94 RBI - Miguel Cabrera
.325 AVG, 9 HR, 85 RBI - Victor Martinez
.307 AVG, 18 HR, 77 RBI - Jhonny Peralta
.299 AVG, 17 HR, 68 RBI - Alex Avila
.284 AVG, 6 HR, 41 RBI - Wilson Betemit
.239 AVG, 12 HR, 42 RBI - Ryan Raburn

Bench -

Magglio Ordonez, Ramon Santiago, Brandon Inge, Don Kelly, Carlos Guillen - a few of these guys could be left off the playoff roster

21-5, 2.34 ERA, 224 K - Justin Verlander
7-13, 3.17 ERA, 125 K - Doug Fister
14-8, 4.33 ERA, 148 K - Max Scherzer

These three will probably be the rotation in the playoffs

Bullpen

Rick Porcello (maybe a 4th starter but doubt it)
Brad Penny
Al Alburquerque
Jose Valverde
David Pauley
Joaquin Benoit
Daniel Schlereth
Phil Coke

Jacob Turner (long shot)

Ryan Perry (maybe)
Duane Below (maybe)

sexicano31
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
No

keymax
09-07-2011, 12:37 AM
This thread is not going to end well...

Melo15
09-07-2011, 12:39 AM
I think they're a dangerous team. They've got a decent lineup and having Verlander at the top of your rotation certainly helps.

Zander 77
09-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I have this feeling that at the very least, it'll be a Maggs/Dirks split. If, of course Maggs doesn't just start the whole time because of his experience and veteranship.

fadedmario
09-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I have this feeling that at the very least, it'll be a Maggs/Dirks split. If, of course Maggs doesn't just start the whole time because of his experience and veteranship.

Your probably right.

One Nut Kruk
09-07-2011, 01:04 AM
On paper, they will be the least favoured. But once you get there, you never know, that's why they play the games. They are hot right now but any team can get cold in a hurry. I do not want to see Boston. I don't think that will end well.

LionsFan..LOL
09-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Just get in and let the play on the field do the talking.

ugafan
09-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Playoffs are a crapshoot. Every team has at least a decent chance.

RTL
09-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Boesch was a big blow to the team as he was one of the few lefties the Tigers had. Anyone in the playoffs is a contender but I think Boesch going down really hurts them.

ahoda
09-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Boesch was a big blow to the team as he was one of the few lefties the Tigers had. Anyone in the playoffs is a contender but I think Boesch going down really hurts them.

Dirks isn't a huge drop off with the bat and is a big upgrade defensively. The only problem is, how much Leyland will play Magglio.

JetsMetsKnicks
09-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Hell Yes the Tigers are for real! They have kicked *** the last few weeks. They have a potent line-up with or without Boesch. They can hang with the pitching challenged Yankees. Boston will give them a challenge but I think they can handle it. Especially if the bullpen holds up for them.

They have a stud workhorse in Verlander(MVP anyone?) and Scherzer is a pretty good #2. Fister keeps them in games and thats all you can ask from him. Verlander is the key though. Can He pitch 3 times in a 7 game series and hold up? I think he can. I say the Tiger's get to the Series and then anything can happen but a tough Phillies team will be hard to beat. If Verlander can pitch 3 times in a 7 game series and be the Verlander everyone expects to see then look out MLB.

mark1125
09-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Are they the favorites? No.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the Yanks or Sox will walk past them. HELL NO.

Assuming the Tigers don't collapse, they will be able to pitch Verlander twice in a 7 game series. Their lineup is no cakewalk.

While I wouldn't put them down as a favorite, I would not be shocked in the least if they get past the first round by beating the Yanks or Sox.

scottie
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Verlander and Cabby, Avila and Valvarde are 4 of the best players at their respective position. V-mart is a GREAT hitter! If anyone believes the Tigers are not contenders, they have no baseball knowledge and are trolls or trying to start trouble! Period!

Oh, and don't forget Verlander is the best player in baseball!

Pinstripe pride
09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
they are going to make the playoffs, and they have one of if the not best pitchers in the game at the moment. they are the best team and dont stack up against the yankees, red sox, phillies, rangers, etc., but anything can happne in the playoffs and they have the right mix to pull of an upset.

so yes, the are contenders.

RangersMets
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
If they make the playoffs do they have a chance? Yes

Do I believe they will get out of the 1st round? No, sorry

levignjw
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Are they the favorites? No.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the Yanks or Sox will walk past them. HELL NO.

Assuming the Tigers don't collapse, they will be able to pitch Verlander twice in a 7 game series. Their lineup is no cakewalk.

While I wouldn't put them down as a favorite, I would not be shocked in the least if they get past the first round by beating the Yanks or Sox.

This

VenezuelanMet
09-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Do people still not realize that playoffs are a complete crapshoot?
Expect Halladay and Lee to get hammered.

And only twice? With Detroit's rotation, I'm pitching Verlander thrice on a 7 game series.

Pinstripe pride
09-07-2011, 10:00 AM

And only twice? With Detroit's rotation, I'm pitching Verlander thrice on a 7 game series.

i'm doing a rain dance the other days to try and get another start out of him. verlander could single handly derail any other AL playoff team. he is far and away the best pitcher in the American League playoff hunt

Jeffy25
09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Of course they could be contenders.

They have the lineup and the rotation to be successful, especially in a short series.

But Leyland doesn't exactly use his lineup very well, and it has certainly cost the Tigers a good amount of runs on the year.

Jeffy25
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Exactly, I mean, Boston may not be able to beat Texas this year because Texas has three fairly effective lefties and Boston has struggled against lefties this season (for the most part). It doesn't mean that Texas is better, it just means there is a hole, and Texas has the best opponent to that hole. And it being a 5 or a 7 game series in a game where teams rarely win more than 60% of their games, it's hard to seriously say the world or league champs each year really were the best of that season.

"Ace"ves
09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
will they make the playoffs? yes
will they win the ALDS? good chance in a short series
will they win the ALCS? probably not, but its possible
will they win the WS? same as ALCS

ShockerArt
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
will they make the playoffs? yes
will they win the ALDS? good chance in a short series
will they win the ALCS? probably not, but its possible
will they win the WS? same as ALCS

This is exactly what I would say. They're dangerous in that first round because they should be able to set up Verlander to go twice.

In baseball any team can win it once the playoffs start. The Giants won last year with great starting pitching and a lineup full of scrubs.

Zander 77
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
And don't forget, with the way Fister is pitching since coming to Detroit, in a seven game series, if you can pitch Verlander 3 games, and then Fister and Scherzer 2 games each, you're looking pretty good.

One Nut Kruk
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Exactly, I mean, Boston may not be able to beat Texas this year because Texas has three fairly effective lefties and Boston has struggled against lefties this season (for the most part). It doesn't mean that Texas is better, it just means there is a hole, and Texas has the best opponent to that hole. And it being a 5 or a 7 game series in a game where teams rarely win more than 60% of their games, it's hard to seriously say the world or league champs each year really were the best of that season.

Not sure exactly who has pitched for Texas in the season series vs Boston and I'm too lazy to look it up but Boston has pretty much kicked the living crap out of Texas pitching this year.

Mr Haha
09-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I think they are more dangerous in the first round than the second, given they will be favored for the two games Verlander starts. As a Yankees fan, I'd rather see Texas in the first round due to that very fact.

Amaradio15
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Detroit is definitely contenders. It looks like it's going to be Detroit, NY Yankees, Boston, and Texas (or LA Angels). Because Verlander has been so consistent all year, I would imagine he would be dominant in the playoffs too. Scherzer is the x factor. If he pitches up to his potential, we could win any series. Fister has been lights out since coming over from Seattle. Besides Boston and Texas, Detroit is third in MLB for batting average and fourth for RBIs. We have a good offense so if the pitchers can play up to their potential, anything is possible. Of course the same is said for any team. So, whoever pitches best and bats gets hottest will win the World Series..

Muttman73
09-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Good luck Tigers but really, the Central sucked this year. You have 1 very good pitcher and a good hitting first basman, first round fodder material probably but hey at least you'll be there...which is more that we can say.

"Ace"ves
09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
And don't forget, with the way Fister is pitching since coming to Detroit, in a seven game series, if you can pitch Verlander 3 games, and then Fister and Scherzer 2 games each, you're looking pretty good.

Fister was a huge acquisition... I like Verlander and Fister..... im not high on Scherzer, but he seems to get results, so i cant argue much about it, i just dont trust him

Bombtista
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Not sure exactly who has pitched for Texas in the season series vs Boston and I'm too lazy to look it up but Boston has pretty much kicked the living crap out of Texas pitching this year.

Boston has been shutout by Texas pitching more than once this season.

ahoda
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Good luck Tigers but really, the Central sucked this year. You have 1 very good pitcher and a good hitting first basman, first round fodder material probably but hey at least you'll be there...which is more that we can say.

The Tigers also have the ALs best hitting SS and C. And V-Mart is also one of the best contact hitters in the game. Dude is hitting .400 with men in scoring position. You severely undervalue the Tigers offense.

Now defense....they suck everywhere except CF, C, and SS.

One Nut Kruk
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Boston has been shutout by Texas pitching more than once this season.

This is true. But Boston has also put up double digits on Texas 3 times. I guess it's hit or miss with them.

One Nut Kruk
09-07-2011, 01:11 PM

I've already posted their record vs good teams in another thread. Only team they have had trouble with is Boston. Bitter White Sox fan....nothing I enjoy seeing more.

Zander 77
09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Fister was a huge acquisition... I like Verlander and Fister..... im not high on Scherzer, but he seems to get results, so i cant argue much about it, i just dont trust him

Oh, I'd rather have Verlander and Fister just alternate, and forget any other starters, but it doesn't work like that. If Fister could start three games and be comfortable with it, then just have one start from Scherzer in the middle. I don't trust Porcello or Penny.

Pinstripe pride
09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
The Tigers also have the ALs best hitting SS and C. And V-Mart is also one of the best contact hitters in the game. Dude is hitting .400 with men in scoring position. You severely undervalue the Tigers offense.

Now defense....they suck everywhere except CF, C, and SS.

which will kill you facing hard hitting teams the AL sports in the other 3 spots

long ball
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
They've got one of the best pitchers in the MLB. If they get a series to 5 games they have an excellent shot at winning in the first round.

Anyone in the playoffs is a WS contender.

"Ace"ves
09-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, I'd rather have Verlander and Fister just alternate, and forget any other starters, but it doesn't work like that. If Fister could start three games and be comfortable with it, then just have one start from Scherzer in the middle. I don't trust Porcello or Penny.

oh i know it doesn't work like that, im just saying that id worry about Scherzer

Jeffy25
09-07-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm not talking about the season series, so much as the opportunity that having three lefties to face a team that doesn't really hit lefties too well is a good opportunity.

Against Boston this season

Matt Harrison - 2-1, 4.74 ERA in 19 innings, 17K, 5BB
C.J. Wilson - 1-0, 1.46 ERA in 12.1 innings, 10K, 4BB
Derek Holland - 1-0, 0.00 ERA in 7 innings, 6K, 0BB

The Tigers might have the right recipe for success against the Red Sox.

Although, I owe Jon Heyman a kick in the dick, because I based that previous post based on what he said on MLB Network and took his word that he actually looked up the information and was correct.

But the Red Sox against Lefties this season are hitting .282/.357/.451

Why the **** would Heyman say they can't hit lefties when it's obvious that they can?

Edit: I'm pretty sure my beef is with Heyman, might have been Gammons

c0rbz
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Playoffs are a crapshoot. Every team has at least a decent chance.

Very good post, my thoughts exaclty.

We are the 3rd best team in the AL Playoffs IMO, but it's the playoffs, anything can and will happen.

c0rbz
09-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Someones a little mad, only 1 good pitcher? Yeah because getting 13k's in a game in 8 innings is bad, and Scherzer is also bad. Yeah and we only have one good hitter yep :rolleyes:

madmike77
09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Anyone who makes the playoffs is a contender. Just takes one hot streak to win it all.

I'd still have Detroit as an underdog, but in a best-of-seven series anything can happen.

stretchedmonkey
09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't see how Detroit is an underdog here, they're about to have the same record as Texas, who isn't that big and bad int he MLB. Yankees have muff cabbage for pitching, and the Red Sox and Tigers have matched up for 2 series this whole year I believe. It's just stupid how people can claim the Tigers as an underdog by their record, they're scorching, and they've had guys like Avila, Peralta, Martinez, Cabrera batting over and just under .300 all year, with guys like Betemit and Young not far behind. Scherzer lost his way midway through the season, but knowing how he pitches when he's on, is good enough for me to trust him. Fister has a 3.17 era, and it's like 2.54 or something like that with Detroit. Verlander is lights out, Valverde is lights out, Benoit has been lights out since May, there's just too many weapons that they have. Homer or not, don't, DON'T sleep on Detroit, cause you may just be kicking yourself in the *** when it's all said and done.

EDIT****** Tigers have a better record than Texas as of right now.

c0rbz
09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
LOL xD

SexiAlexi
09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
It's so cold in the d!

Crucis
09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I think they are more dangerous in the first round than the second, given they will be favored for the two games Verlander starts.

Exactly correct, Haha. In a 5 game series, the Tigers could be really tough if Verlander is on his game.

dtmagnet
09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
In my opinion if you make the playoffs you are a contender.