PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt ESPN covering the NBA lockout?

Knick_Fever
09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Why hasnt ESPN been covering the NBA lockout as much as they did for the NFL? The NFL lockout was being followed every day and extensively by the network but you'll be lucky to catch a 30 second update of the NBA's once every other week. Why is that? Isnt the NBA considered one of the most watched leagues in the country? Especially after experiencing a significant increase in tv ratings this past season and post-season, not to mention one of the best finals series in the history of the league. I mean Ive seen the numbers, and they dont lie. They might not mirror the NFL's but they actually rival those of the MLB's. Can anyone explain?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Well, there's nothing to report on seeing that they've been hardly even meeting. In the NFL they were meeting a few times a week.

ManRam
09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
It definitely is getting a fraction of the coverage the NFL got.

A few things may play into it though...mainly the fact that during the NFL lockout, the only sport going on was baseball. Now, football has started up so they actually have stuff to report about.

I'm sure when it gets closer to the time where games are jeopardized they'll be on it a bit more.

SteBO
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Simple. The NFL held meetings at once every week, while the both parties in the NBA labor strife are trying to play hard ball and not meet until after a quite a few weeks pass by. There's no reason for ESPN to cover it like the NFL. It would just be waste of their time.

tredigs
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, there's nothing to report on seeing that they've been hardly even meeting. In the NFL they were meeting a few times a week.

Ding. And there was a great chance that the NFL lockout was going to be settled. They had an issue over how to spread their immense wealth more appropriately, the NBA has far bigger problems (some owners are actually consistently losing money), and the divide is far greater. AKA no end in site, especially with how infrequently they meet and how unproductive those meetings are.

Also, football is far more popular.

sixer04fan
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM

This. Won't even get into the fact that the NFL is so much bigger than the NBA nowadays... But there's really been nothing to report. I love the NBA, so I'd definitely appreciate more coverage, but the bottom line is there's been nothing to report.

Geargo Wallace
09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
There's nothing to report on. I think the NFL actually intended to make a deal. They NFL ain't hurting nearly as bad as the NBA.

llemon
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
ESPN is owned by management. Management doesn't want the NBA fans to realize what a bunch of lying Dbags they (NBA management) are.

MrfadeawayJB
09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Probably because it just started and won't seem like a lockout until offseason activities get started (similar to how NFL lockout did not get as much coverage until the deadline came closer)

iggypop123
09-07-2011, 01:34 AM
it certainly is strange. the nfl there was never a threat to lose regular season games and it was hardcore coverage, in the nba the threat of a season is out there and its like its not going on.

MJ-BULLS
09-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Once the season is scheduled to start im sure news about the nba will be reported. There really hasn't been nothing to report involving the nba since it is a lockout.

movepac15
09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
The NBA is probably still mad about ESPN Outside the Lines doing that 60 minute presentation on how the NBA is rigged and how NBA officiating credibility is zero. Guess the NBA couldn't handle the truth.

natelpete
09-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Because nothing is happening right now.

Gators123
09-07-2011, 04:07 PM
KBerg_CBS Ken Berger

Two sides have agreed to meet again Thursday and possibly Friday. "I think there is" time to get a deal, union chief Billy Hunter said.

KBerg_CBS Ken Berger

Asked if negotiations have evolved to point of compromise, union prez Derek Fisher said, "That's why we're here."

Homertone
09-07-2011, 04:08 PM
It might be because basketball is a dying sport. It's hard for your average fan to be entertained with a game where there is as much whining, showboating, individual play, and laziness.

Astronaut
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Because the NFL is back?

If you watch ESPN you know that they have midweek coverage of football. That's ALL they talk about, I remember when the Giants won the World Series, more than half of Sportscenter was dedicated to Football.

NYman15
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
It sounds like good news, but I have to see it to believe it. But it sounds like good news who knows maybe they do get a deal done.

I do wonder why ESPN hasn't followed it as closely as they did with the NFL lockout. Maybe because they're not meeting as much as the NFL and maybe the NFL is just more popular than the NBA. But I do find it somewhat strange.

da ThRONe
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I blame the 82 game schedule most fans don't get into basketball until football is done. There's no sense of urgency with pro hoops. We could lose 12-20 games and still have a 60+ game season.

sep11ie
09-07-2011, 04:20 PM
They are busy planning Dwight Howard's Decision.

HouRealCoach
09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Because NFL made an effort to prevent the lockout from carrying into the season. NBA is doing absolutely NOTHING! No news reports, no internet articles, only a few players commenting, most players signing for overseas... The NBA is done

NFL/College football is the most cared about sport in America