PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson told Dwight Howard he could never play in the NBA

JordansBulls
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.vladtv.com/blog/49152/magic-johnson-told-dwight-howard-he-would-never-play-in-the-nba/

Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard recently revealed that when he was 15, he met Magic Johnson, who told him that he didn't have what it took to make it to the NBA.

"He said I was too skinny," Howard said. "Magic inspired me by telling me I wasn't going to make it, that I was too little. I was in 10th grade when he told me I was too skinny to play in the NBA. I said, OK, we'll see."

TrueFan420
09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
hahaha thats awesome if this is actually true

llemon
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Magic was a great player on the court, but doesn't seem to be very intelligent about the NBA now that he's off the court.

asandhu23
09-06-2011, 01:40 PM
what a douche. :pity:

gwrighter
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
3 cycles of steroid use later.... "I'm HUGE"

Hellcrooner
09-06-2011, 01:48 PM

this

RZZZA
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
ahaha yeah. "and that's the story of how I started to take steroids".

bholly
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Magic was a great player on the court, but doesn't seem to be very intelligent about the NBA now that he's off the court.

what a douche. :pity:

seriously?
this sounds like a former player ribbing a young fan, not a serious talent evaluation. he's just giving him ****. watch any mj video interacting with fans (or any former player interacting with fans, or even any adult talking to a child) and you'll see the same thing.
even if he knew dwight was serious about the nba, and he wasn't just making meaningless fun, it would've almost certainly been said in an encouraging or challenging way, not an ******* way. as dwight said, it inspired him.

come on now, don't go getting all on magic because of one quote without any idea of the inflection or details.

Avenged
09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Well he was 15, hard to tell if he would have made it or not. That doesn't make anyone an idiot.

llemon
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Well he was 15, hard to tell if he would have made it or not. That doesn't make anyone an idiot.

Correct. Magic Johnson was an idiot long before he made insulted Dwight.

Hellcrooner
09-06-2011, 09:10 PM
mmmm if howard was too skinny back then, then magic was right then, if he had gone on being skiny with the moves and fumdanlmentals he had entering the leagfue......well he would have probably not been dradfted at all.

CavsYanksDuke
09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Shaq met LSU's head coach at a local basketball camp. Shaq, at the time about 6'6" or so and growing out at the time, was told by the LSU coach that he was too small to play center on the college or pro level. Shaq simply said, "Coach, I'm only 14."

They've been friends since.

Anilyzer
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, no one thought Magic could survive AIDs and live to see the year 2000, so I guess it's all fair. Btw it's well known that steroids is one of the super-effective "magical" drugs that have tremendously helped AIDs patients.

so it's funny that Dwight gets villified somehow

5ass
09-06-2011, 11:22 PM
mmmm if howard was too skinny back then, then magic was right then, if he had gone on being skiny with the moves and fumdanlmentals he had entering the leagfue......well he would have probably not been dradfted at all.

Yes we all know that Dwight isn't the most skilled player in the NBA, and yes skill and fundamentals are important, but stop hating on Dwight. First of all u don't get that big and strong without working your *** off, u know eating right, sleeping right, exercising, lifting weights etc., so the time Dwight spent working on his body is a million times more than what a European player would spend on his. The european spent his time improving his skills, and that's good, but look how bad some of them do in the NBA compared to Europe, so obviously Dwight did the right thing. And I say European just bcz I know that ur propose of existence on this site is to try make European players look better in the eyes of NBA fans (or at least that's how it comes out), which simply put is stupid. U say Dwight uses steroids? Did u see him put the needle in his arm? Or is it just ur jealousy talking? Jealousy from the fact that u know that most European players are not and probably will never be as athletic as NBA players such as Dwight or Lebron. U do know that black people have the ability to build muscle better than caucasions right? They are also on average mostly taller than caucasions. Whatever I'm white I don't care I'm just saying.

Hellcrooner
09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes we all know that Dwight isn't the most skilled player in the NBA, and yes skill and fundamentals are important, but stop hating on Dwight. First of all u don't get that big and strong without working your *** off, u know eating right, sleeping right, exercising, lifting weights etc., so the time Dwight spent working on his body is a million times more than what a European player would spend on his. The european spent his time improving his skills, and that's good, but look how bad some of them do in the NBA compared to Europe, so obviously Dwight did the right thing. And I say European just bcz I know that ur propose of existence on this site is to try make European players look better in the eyes of NBA fans (or at least that's how it comes out), which simply put is stupid. U say Dwight uses steroids? Did u see him put the needle in his arm? Or is it just ur jealousy talking? Jealousy from the fact that u know that most European players are not and probably will never be as athletic as NBA players such as Dwight or Lebron. U do know that black people have the ability to build muscle better than caucasions right? They are also on average mostly taller than caucasions. Whatever I'm white I don't care I'm just saying.

lol im taking for certain than dwight or lebron did/do dope.

but i also take for certain that dirk and pau take/took steroids too as soon as they reached the league.

i would be surprised if the number of career long clean nba players was higher than 10%

its not a thing bout americans vs europe is a thing bout nba allowing it.

as an example, R Lewis positive, in europe it would have costed him a two year suspension, what was it in nba?

odom or randolph or beasly and mariuhana, europe? 2 years of suspension nba? a pat in the back and dont do it again.

theres a reason in 1990 when nba agreed to send pros to the olympics david stern made SURE that nba players would be pretested by the league doctors and would NOT pass olympic comitee tests.
that proteccion includes ALL nba players american or europeans.

tredigs
09-06-2011, 11:36 PM
2 year suspension for MARIJUANA in Europe? Wow, what a bunch of idiots. Might need to look into revoking citizenship.

LakersMaster24
09-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I agree that Magic has very little NBA knowledge, I mean it was clearly visible when he TRIED to coach the Lakers.

uprightciti
09-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Why has magic never come public about his struggle with aids?

Hellcrooner
09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
2 year suspension for MARIJUANA in Europe? Wow, what a bunch of idiots. Might need to look into revoking citizenship.

well in europe, in asia, in australia, in south america and IN USA if the person that is tested positive is a swimmer or runner and subjected to olympic comitee.

the Non PRO LEAGUE americans are subjected to it if they get caught while competing in other country ( dont know how usa olympic comitee acts when they catch them inside usa borders)

ManningToTyree
09-07-2011, 12:39 AM

but i also take for certain that dirk and pau take/took steroids too as soon as they reached the league.

i would be surprised if the number of career long clean nba players was higher than 10%

as an example, R Lewis positive, in europe it would have costed him a two year suspension, what was it in nba?

odom or randolph or beasly and mariuhana, europe? 2 years of suspension nba? a pat in the back and dont do it again.

theres a reason in 1990 when nba agreed to send pros to the olympics david stern made SURE that nba players would be pretested by the league doctors and would NOT pass olympic comitee tests.

How come your posts always have to relate back to Europe in the NBA Forum?
this is a non story

D1JM
09-07-2011, 12:42 AM
this

gasol uses steroids

ewmania
09-07-2011, 12:47 AM
ahaha yeah. "and that's the story of how I started to take steroids".

hahaha

MJ-BULLS
09-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Being HOF and role model for young kids. Thats a harsh thing to say to a young one. But it doesn't make him a idiot.

Hellcrooner
09-07-2011, 12:52 AM
gasol uses steroids

now , dont think so, rook and soph seasons and second laker season? most probably, as i already stated in a previous post.

so? whats your point?

5ass
09-07-2011, 12:53 AM

-according to Lewis, it was an over the counter drug, that caused high levels of DHEA. Regardless if that's true or not thats why it was a few day suspension.
-lol 2 years for some weed, u dont think that's 2 much?
-can't comment on that, but if I'm not mistaken the NBA started testing it's players in '99

smith&wesson
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
no one should ever tell a kid not to follow his/her dreams. magic you lose my respect.

3mikee_
09-12-2011, 04:24 PM
lol Magic going around telling 10th graders that they are too small?! ... Great career choice after the NBA

sep11ie
09-12-2011, 04:33 PM
He later told the rest of the class, "don't worry, condoms are useless".

b0nk
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
gasol uses steroids
estrogen

Raps18-19 Champ
09-12-2011, 09:11 PM
How do these 15 year old get a hold of steroids?

MTar786
09-13-2011, 03:25 AM
if gasol is on roids then dwight is on rocket fuel lol

Sactown
09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Who cares if they used/so steroids.... it just makes the game more fun to watch.. who honestly wants to watch a no hitter 400 times in a row? no one! get these hitters their roids and let the NBA players continue what they're doing!

llemon
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Who cares if they used/so steroids.... it just makes the game more fun to watch.. who honestly wants to watch a no hitter 400 times in a row? no one! get these hitters their roids and let the NBA players continue what they're doing!

What about letting all the pitchers take steroids. The umps too, and the ground crew, the announcers and the fans.

Damn, I'm picturing all those exciting fights in the stands.

Sounds like excitement to me.

But those 400 no-hitters in a row? That was very exciting too.

Sactown
09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
What about letting all the pitchers take steroids. The umps too, and the ground crew, the announcers and the fans.

Damn, I'm picturing all those exciting fights in the stands.

Sounds like excitement to me.

But those 400 no-hitters in a row? That was very exciting too.
Not if that was the standard among all pitchers.. steroids make the game exciting and sports are nothing but a game meant to excite and entertain the fans so let the steroids continue

llemon
09-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Not if that was the standard among all pitchers.. steroids make the game exciting and sports are nothing but a game meant to excite and entertain the fans so let the steroids continue

Agreed. Everyone alive should take steroids.

Sinattle
09-18-2011, 01:11 PM
This is also true about Durant

DenButsu
09-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Man, I really dug Magic. Unfortunate (if this is true) to hear him badmouth ANY 15-year-old kid for wanting to play ball

Trace
09-18-2011, 01:40 PM

You still need to train and maintain a great diet to get bigger even if you're on steroids.

Also, don't want to a ***** about this but Cortisone Injections are considered steroids and ironically, they're legal in every major sports league in the world. SMH double standards in media.

GeekInThePink
09-18-2011, 01:45 PM
He later told the rest of the class, "don't worry, condoms are useless".

:clap:

I burst out crying I was laughing so hard.

AndyfromNeptune
09-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Andrew32
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
He was probably joking with Howard, either way I take nothing Magic says seriously anymore.

He has said some of the most absurd things i've ever heard as a Commentator/Broadcaster.