PDA

View Full Version : Who will last longer as a Star Player from this moment? Dirk or Kobe - Both are 33

JordansBulls
09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Who will last longer as a Star Player from this moment? Dirk or Kobe

Both now are 33 years of age. Both obviously have shown decline as well. Now obviously Kobe has been in the league longer than Dirk and thus will probably outlast him as far as years as a star overall, however from the age of 33 going forward, who has more years left as an Elite Star in the NBA?

basketfan4life
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
i know everybody will jump and say dirk after last year but i think it's Kobe...He is too dedicated that he'll find a way to stay elite...

Also Dirk's dream just came true, we don't know how this will affect him.

basketfan4life
09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
i know everybody will jump and say dirk after last year but i think it's Kobe...He is too dedicated that he'll find a way to stay elite...

LakersIn5
09-06-2011, 11:12 AM
here comes the dirk is god because of last season's playoffs and the kobe is declining because of last seasons playoffs.

Swashcuff
09-06-2011, 11:13 AM

I won't say Dirk based on last season, but rather the fact that Dirk's game is the type that ages more gracefully than Kobe's (as skilled as Kobe is he's still a bit more reliant on athletic ability that Dirk is). Also Dirk has less mileage and less injury concern than Mr Bryant.

Still with that said I can't count Kobe out I mean after all he's still KOBE so you never know but I expect him to take it down a notch from here on out while Dirk will be around the same player for about the next 2 seasons.

29$JerZ
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
It will be Dirk because his impact is on offense and even at an older age he'll still be difficult to defend. It helps being so tall with an unblockable jump shot.

Kobe on the other hand has been dealing with injuries for years now and it only gets worse.
Barring injury I'd say Kobe would last longer but based on the present facts it should be Dirk.

Sly Guy
09-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I won't say Dirk based on last season, but rather the fact that Dirk's game is the type that ages more gracefully than Kobe's (as skilled as Kobe is he's still a bit more reliant on athletic ability that Dirk is). Also Dirk has less mileage and less injury concern than Mr Bryant.

Still with that said I can't count Kobe out I mean after all he's still KOBE so you never know but I expect him to take it down a notch from here on out while Dirk will be around the same player for about the next 2 seasons.

pretty much this. Kobe's body is/has tak(ing/en) a bigger pounding than Dirk by virtue of his playstyle. It's harder to keep up on the perimeter with young quick legs than it is to hang around the bucket. Besides, pure shooters have great longevity on the offensive side too.

nycericanguy
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Tough one.

I don't want to discount Kobe because his work ethic and commitment is unmatched.

But Dirk's game to me will age more gracefully. Dirk will always be a lethal shooter and will always have a height advantage in the post against most defenders. Dirk has also played in far less games and postseason games and has been relatively healthy most of his career.

Hellcrooner
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
whoever Stern/shoecompanys tell Refs to.

TrueFan420
09-06-2011, 12:14 PM

well said... this

Hawkeye15
09-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Easily Dirk. The players who tend to age the best are those that can shoot with height, and especially those who never relied on athletic ability at all.

Basically, Dirk's style of game ages better. Tall, and can shoot. Height and shooting ability don't fade.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
here comes the dirk is god because of last season's playoffs and the kobe is declining because of last seasons playoffs.

this

kArSoN RyDaH
09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
make this thread before 2011 playoffs and people would laugh at you. but now? hahahah psd is ridiculous.

Swashcuff
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM

this

make this thread before 2011 playoffs and people would laugh at you. but now? hahahah psd is ridiculous.

Interesting isn't it. 4 out 5 Laker fans all think that people are going to say Dirk because of his playoff run and not attempt to come to terms with the fact that no one isn't targeting their boy and praising Dirk but rather looking at it from a standpoint that could be based on simple common sense. Kobe's body has a ton of a lot more mileage than Dirk's and he's been injured on countless occasions. Nagging lingering injuries that could slow him down as he ages as well.

Just come to terms with reality guys no one is trying to attack your boy.

Avenged
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Well Kobe has 1103 games under his belt as compared to Dirk's 993. This is without adding playoff games. Kobe has 208, and Dirk has 124.

Kobe: 1,103+208= 1,311

Dirk: 993+124= 1,117

Kobe's reg. season & playoff minutes: 40,145+8,165= 48,310

Dirk's reg. season & playoff minutes: 36,236+5,127= 41,363

Kobe has more mileage in him and the significance shows. You add that with the injuries Kobe has sustained and continues to have, I think Dirk will last a bit longer.

Chacarron
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Interesting isn't it. 4 out 5 Laker fans all think that people are going to say Dirk because of his playoff run and not attempt to come to terms with the fact that no one isn't targeting their boy and praising Dirk but rather looking at it from a standpoint that could be based on simple common sense. Kobe's body has a ton of a lot more mileage than Dirk's and he's been injured on countless occasions. Nagging lingering injuries that could slow him down as he ages as well.

You are about to get rained on, just saying. :)

I think Dirk will last longer for the simple fact that Kobe relies much more on his athleticism and he has had injuries on his knees and fingers the last few years.

Geargo Wallace
09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Not a huge fan of either, but I'll say Dirk because of the difference in their game/position.

Daze9900
09-06-2011, 09:06 PM
It's not going to be Kobe because they play different positions. Case against Kobe is that he is battling against knee injuries. Even if he fully recovers from that its not going to be easy for him to lose a step as he gets older and run around younger guards. Father time always wins this battle. Usually it's big men that decline faster than guards but Dirk plays such a finess type game. As long as his shot is still there he can still shoot them fade aways over the top or camp out on the three point line. I'm making the case for Dirk and no Kobe lovers it's not because of the season he had.

Bruno
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Well Kobe has 1103 games under his belt as compared to Dirk's 993. This is without adding playoff games. Kobe has 208, and Dirk has 124.

Kobe: 1,103+208= 1,311

Dirk: 993+124= 1,117

Kobe's reg. season & playoff minutes: 40,145+8,165= 48,310

Dirk's reg. season & playoff minutes: 36,236+5,127= 41,363

Kobe has more mileage in him and the significance shows. You add that with the injuries Kobe has sustained and continues to have, I think Dirk will last a bit longer.

x2.

i.got.the.nutz
09-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Dirk is the obvious choice here.

LakersMaster24
09-06-2011, 09:57 PM

How about you fill the whole thread with a bunch of adv. stats? :)

naps
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I meant to vote Dirk. I do think Dirk's elite level will last longer than Kobe's due to Kobe's health problems and mileage. However, I think both will remain elite for another 3 years, mostly Dirk.

IrespectNumber3
09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I think the playoffs really messed up peoples perspective on Player Ranking this year. Dirk has to win a championship to maintain his star power regardless of what he does during the NBA season, Kobe doesn't and that's what the difference is at this point.

GodsSon
09-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the playoffs really messed up peoples perspective on Player Ranking this year. Dirk has to win a championship to maintain his star power regardless of what he does during the NBA season, Kobe doesn't and that's what the difference is at this point.

Ummmm no...the answer is Dirk because of various reasons that have already been stated.

1) less mileage

2) less reliant on athletic ability

3) better shooter with height advantage over opponents

It's Dirk

Lim
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
obviously dirk. dirk could prob play till 45 if he doesn't get injured. his shot will always be un-blockable unless another yao ming comes a long and his stroke will always be there.

sep11ie
09-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Who's on 1st.

Swashcuff
09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Think of this. Dirk just came off the best year of his career in terms of offensive efficiency. At the age of 33. I don't really see Dirk losing his stardom before Kobe in all honesty.

TheChamp
09-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Nowitzki.

Andrew32
09-07-2011, 03:12 PM
I am very excited to see how Kobe performs next season, its a big reason why the lockout is pissing me off (I also wanna see Shaq on TNT).

I feel Kobe's defense and efficiency will suffer the most during the beginning/middle of his decline and this will not bode well for the Lakers success. Dirk I dont feel has really begun his decline yet possibly because he's played less minutes but also because I think he has never really overly relied on his athleticism and more on his jumper/height.

the obvious choice is Dirk. I am hoping Kobe can rejuvenate himself and have 1-2 more Star Like seasons but its rare for a player once beginning to decline to be able to accomplish this.

AIRMAR72
09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
dirk offcourse

knightstemplar
09-11-2011, 01:08 AM
right now at this moment I have to say Dirk
but I dont know how Kobe would be with his healthy knee next season

ChiSox219
09-11-2011, 01:14 AM
right now at this moment I have to say Dirk
but I dont know how Kobe would be with his healthy knee next season

What makes you think his knee will be healthy?

knightstemplar
09-11-2011, 01:19 AM
What makes you think his knee will be healthy?

well he got the surgery, so just a guess

PrettyBoyJ
09-11-2011, 01:37 AM
This doesnt take away anything from Kobe or his legacy the guys a warrior but Kobe is playing on a bad knee and a broken finger which is rumored to be inoperable and not to mention the amount of games he played through out his career.. Dirk is more likely to play longer at high level

MR.TRIPDUB
09-11-2011, 02:59 AM

I think it is very hypocritical for laker fans to say this when im pretty sure they hailed kobe god after winning the championship. They keep on saying kobe is better than lbj or wade because of the championship his team won.

I say dirk coz his greatness isnt based on athleticism. However i still believe kobe will be good enough to be a star but his mileage is very high and his body will eventually breakdown. It is a price you pay for playing alot more playoff games than others right. Hes already broke the quota for stardom and any more is just a bonus.

JordansBulls
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Who's on 1st.

What a sig.

NYKalltheway
09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I think Kobe. A guy standing at 7ft whose game relies on jump shots is not meant to be a top performer after he's 36-37 years old, those knees will eventually kill his career. I think Dirk has 2 more good years, while Kobe has at least 3 years left

sventhedog
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
dirk has been more durable than kobe.

tredigs
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Dirk - very easily. His game is effortless. He's going to be hugely impactful damn near 40.

ManRam
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Gotta be Dirk. He hasn't taken as much of a beating throughout his career, and his game is more conducive to longevity. He was better than Kobe last year, and that matters too.

Evolution23
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Kobe's knees are back to prime Kobe's knees with this new German experimental procedure. So if he can keep up his explosiveness with his surgically repaired knees, I still got Kobe dominating another 2-3 years.

RevisIsland
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Kobe had a better career, but Dirk will have a longer one.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM

This viewpoint frustrates me. I don't get it. People aren't allowed to adjust their opinions as players outperform their expectations? The reason I have Kobe as one of the greatest players of all-time is b/c of his last two championship runs. If I ignored the 2009 playoffs and 2010 playoffs then I'd have a totally different perspective. But the playoffs are the most important part of the season so to give no credence to incredible performances on the most pressurized portion of the season is absurd. Dirk's run was unbelievable.

KnicksorBust
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Simple but true.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Gotta be Dirk. He hasn't taken as much of a beating throughout his career, and his game is more conducive to longevity. He was better than Kobe last year, and that matters too.

This, because manram is always right.

ManRam
09-12-2011, 12:36 AM
This, because manram is always right.

0-2. I can troll you right back. This was weak too.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
0-2. I can troll you right back. This was weak too.

I just posted your FB pics in the OT forum.

JordansBulls
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM

In what sense? You think Dirk will play more years than Kobe?