PDA

View Full Version : Javier Vazquez 3,000 strikeouts

09-05-2011, 11:39 PM
So CC is 2 strikeouts away from 2,000 and I decided to look up some of the active leaders. I never really took notice the Vazquez has 2,500 K's. I started thinking that he may have a shot at 3,000 considering that he is 35 and wont be 36 until late July of next year. 130 strikeouts per season over the next 3 seasons and he would have 2,890 at age 38. Enough to make him stick around to reach 3,000.

Question is do you think he reaches 3,000 strikeouts?

Jeffy25
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I think so, personally.

Toxeryll
09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
no

More-Than-Most
09-05-2011, 11:55 PM
edit... nvm... Just looked Lol

3mikee_
09-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Maybe... Question is if he'll be good enough to stick around which I doubt

Il Mago50
09-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Apparently he's retiring after this year so close thread

mttwlsn16
09-06-2011, 12:49 AM
^great input :facepalm:

but ya, if he can manage to be a respectable pitcher i say he gets there
if he sucks like this year and last year, then no bc nobody will want him

infernoscurse
09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
doubt it, he seems close to the end

Jeffy25
09-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Why do people think he has been bad this year?

He has been basically league average this year.

He was far worse last season than he has been this year. And he was an all star caliber pitcher just two years ago.

He'll find work for awhile longer if he cares to keep pitching.

I think it's very probable that he will reach 3000 k's. Another 600 innings and he should be really close, and honestly, that's at most five seasons, likely less. In 5 years he'll be turning 40, and if he remains healthy enough, he can do it in 3 years.

Pinstripe pride
09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
dont think so

daresdrama
09-06-2011, 11:40 AM
no he wont he said about maybe retiring at years end but he is the active strikeouts leader i dont know who it will be after he retires..

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Why do people think he has been bad this year?

He has been basically league average this year.

He was far worse last season than he has been this year. And he was an all star caliber pitcher just two years ago.

He'll find work for awhile longer if he cares to keep pitching.

I think it's very probable that he will reach 3000 k's. Another 600 innings and he should be really close, and honestly, that's at most five seasons, likely less. In 5 years he'll be turning 40, and if he remains healthy enough, he can do it in 3 years.

I believe he will retire before he reaches 3,000 strikeouts. Anyone who talks about retirement during a season in MLB... idk, that makes me question their competitiveness

One Nut Kruk
09-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I believe he will retire before he reaches 3,000 strikeouts. Anyone who talks about retirement during a season in MLB... idk, that makes me question their competitiveness

Not that long ago, didn't Mark Buerhle say he was going to retire in a couple years? Something about him wanting to see his kids grow up, etc. There is more to life than baseball and these guys are set financially so I don't really blame them if they wanted to retire somewhat prematurely. But I don't think it necessarily means that they don't have their competitive nature anymore.

Zaunnie
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
As long as he pitches in the NL....

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Not that long ago, didn't Mark Buerhle say he was going to retire in a couple years? Something about him wanting to see his kids grow up, etc. There is more to life than baseball and these guys are set financially so I don't really blame them if they wanted to retire somewhat prematurely. But I don't think it necessarily means that they don't have their competitive nature anymore.

I didn't mean people who want to retire don't have competitive nature, im talking about Javier Vazquez specifically. He does have children and that might be part of why he wants to stop playing, but i didnt see a drive from him when he was in NY.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yankees-Vazquez-thinking-retirement?urn=mlb-215137

I remember this article coming out after he was traded.... and im thinking "really?". Who talks retirement before a season is about to start?

Is it possible? Yes
Do I think its going to happpen? No
Why? I don't think he has the drive

One Nut Kruk
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I didn't mean people who want to retire don't have competitive nature, im talking about Javier Vazquez specifically. He does have children and that might be part of why he wants to stop playing, but i didnt see a drive from him when he was in NY.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yankees-Vazquez-thinking-retirement?urn=mlb-215137

I remember this article coming out after he was traded.... and im thinking "really?". Who talks retirement before a season is about to start?

Is it possible? Yes
Do I think its going to happpen? No
Why? I don't think he has the drive

Fair enough. He does seem like the type that doesn't really care. Probably because he has shown flashes of brilliance but he's pretty damn inconsistent.

DieHardColtsfan
09-06-2011, 04:53 PM
He will not. He is going to retire. He's hinted two years in a row.

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Fair enough. He does seem like the type that doesn't really care. Probably because he has shown flashes of brilliance but he's pretty damn inconsistent.

Yeah... i mean i could be dead wrong, its just a strong feeling i have about Vazquez.

And i know exactly what you mean, he has these amazing gems and then he implodes, lol

Jeffy25
09-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Can you quote where Vazquez said he was considering retirement?

Because I don't recall it.

I remember people talking about it for him, but I don't recall him saying anything specifically.

Super.
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
He could but I doubt it

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 10:45 PM

I remember people talking about it for him, but I don't recall him saying anything specifically.

Sure. This is an article, but i also remember there being a video interview in the clubhouse about it... can't find that though.

Old One:

One from 18 hours ago:
http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/javier_vazquez_could_retire_after_the_2011_season/5948083

He says he still has "the drive", but ive personally never seen it

RTL
09-06-2011, 10:47 PM

He hinted at it last year and said he wouldn't pitch til he's 40. Miami Herald also reported retirement talk just last month.

Rylinkus
09-06-2011, 10:47 PM

In his interviews he seems disinterested in pitching. Basically, why would I do this until I'm 42 when I can retire in good health and have time with my family. The idea that people paint that as a character flaw is laughable.

As for 3K. I don't think he has it. His velocity is waining. That's a fact. So 3K might be a pipe dream.

Rylinkus
09-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Sure. This is an article, but i also remember there being a video interview in the clubhouse about it... can't find that though.

Old One:

One from 18 hours ago:
http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/javier_vazquez_could_retire_after_the_2011_season/5948083

He says he still has "the drive", but ive personally never seen it

The guys pitched injured for half a season in NY. That's not drive?

Andy said a lot of the same things Javy said. He wanted to spend time with his kids. I have no issue with that. Javy did what he could for the team in turning down arb. But he's clearly not the same guy he was 3-4 years ago. He's painted as a villian, but he's really just a guy with a failing arm.

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
In his interviews he seems disinterested in pitching. Basically, why would I do this until I'm 42 when I can retire in good health and have time with my family. The idea that people paint that as a character flaw is laughable.

As for 3K. I don't think he has it. His velocity is waining. That's a fact. So 3K might be a pipe dream.

Who is saying its a character flaw?

Personally, I simply stated that ive never seen the guy's drive, he never seemed too excited about pitching. Like you said, disinterested.

If the guy wants to spend time with his family, how could i argue with that.

And his "arm" falling off in NY is ridiculous. Had an excellent year with the braves, came back over and was garbage. Why? Cause he cannot handle the AL East. And if he was hurt, he should know its affecting his performance and he should tell someone and NOT pull a Carl Pavano.

And he was nice to help the team with arbitration.... but that has NOTHING to do with his desire to pitch

RTL
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
If the guy wants to spend time with his family, how could i argue with that

Easily, just become a dick head;)

kmo429
09-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I voted yes but I shouldve voted no. The guys is declining fast and is inconsistent as ****. At this point he may be a permanent reliever or out of the MLB in 2 years

Rylinkus
09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Who is saying its a character flaw?

Personally, I simply stated that ive never seen the guy's drive, he never seemed too excited about pitching. Like you said, disinterested.

If the guy wants to spend time with his family, how could i argue with that.

And his "arm" falling off in NY is ridiculous. Had an excellent year with the braves, came back over and was garbage. Why? Cause he cannot handle the AL East. And if he was hurt, he should know its affecting his performance and he should tell someone and NOT pull a Carl Pavano.

And he was nice to help the team with arbitration.... but that has NOTHING to do with his desire to pitch

Well, the first time around he was brilliant in NY for the first half. All Star even. Why was he good if he cannot pitch in the AL East?

Second time, velocity MIA.... It did not come back this season. Is that an AL East thing?

I'm not saying he has huge drive, but no one blames other guys demise on lack of heart. This guy simply was hurt his first run in NY, and now seems to be perm. broken.

"Ace"ves
09-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, the first time around he was brilliant in NY for the first half. All Star even. Why was he good if he cannot pitch in the AL East?

Second time, velocity MIA.... It did not come back this season. Is that an AL East thing?

I'm not saying he has huge drive, but no one blames other guys demise on lack of heart. This guy simply was hurt his first run in NY, and now seems to be perm. broken.

I remember that. One thing could be a lack of hitters seeing him, since he was with the Expos for so long. Though he did have better stuff back in his younger days... he did get injured that season and told no one. Bad move. why? cause maybe the yankees dont rely on him as the pitcher if he cant pitch.

Second year in NY, the first thing he says is that he might retire in a year or two. Why would you want to make headlines like that after you ended your last NY run so abruptly.

Like I said, i could be wrong, but ive never seen a drive from him, his demeanor is very relaxed/not excited, and some people are like that, but his failure to make adjustments and talk about retirement tells me that he lacks desire to pitch. As you said, disinterested

CostanzaNumba0
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
No lol

ManningToTyree
09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
No I don't think he will. But what if he does? Is he a HoF? Most of us who watched his career would say no, but 3,000 Ks is a shoe in bench mark like 300 wins or 500 homers