PDA

View Full Version : Carreno starter or reliever?

Nick O
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
where would you rather have Carreno next year.... he started in the minors did he not? hes looked very sloid out of the pen and would be a good long man hell he could even close but then wed need a new longman /: so his talent wont be wasted either way.... from the looks of his stuff early on he seems like hed be an improvement over Cecil..... where would you like to see him?

Krylian
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Pen. Fastball/Slider.

darth helmet
08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
reliever, no question about it.

nithanyo
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I think we should give him an opportunity to start. I noticed velocity was Down on morrows fastball. Maybe if we switch to a 6 man rotaation for September is wats best for these guys. We can see who can start come april

Nick O
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I think we should give him an opportunity to start. I noticed velocity was Down on morrows fastball. Maybe if we switch to a 6 man rotaation for September is wats best for these guys. We can see who can start come april

no we need Ricky out there as often as possible

3mikee_
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Gotta say reliever.... he doesn't really have a lot of pitches to keep pitchers on their toes. Unless he can pull a Rich Harden and beat teams with two pitches, I don't see him becoming a starter in the foreseeable future.

BlueJaysFan
08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
reliever

Converged
08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Gotta say reliever.... he doesn't really have a lot of pitches to keep pitchers on their toes. Unless he can pull a Rich Harden and beat teams with two pitches, I don't see him becoming a starter in the foreseeable future.

My thoughts exactly.

koreancabbage
08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
pen. does he have the neccessary 3 great pitches plus 1 so-so pitch or only two great pitches?

nithanyo
08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Were not competing for anything. Hes not competing for the cy so why not save some innings on him? September should be a month of trials and we should try new pitchers for the rotation. Beyond Ricky the rotation is in shambles

ghost dog
08-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Pen. Setup or close

BlueJayFanDan
08-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Could be a capable starter but looks very solid in the bullpen.

Nick O
09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Were not competing for anything. Hes not competing for the cy so why not save some innings on him? September should be a month of trials and we should try new pitchers for the rotation. Beyond Ricky the rotation is in shambles

lol my bad bad didnt see the september thing

McJoe
09-02-2011, 01:18 AM

Morrow's gotta pitch a full season. They can't keep babying him. If his velocity is down, then he will just have to work harder next year to keep his arm strength up. They gotta keep sending Morrow out there. I'm all for a 6 man rotation though. I'd shut down Hendy to bring back McGowan and then maybe give Drabek a couple more starts. Romero - Morrow - Cecil - McGowan - Villaneauva - Perez/Drabek. Hendy's thrown a lot of innings I think this year.

Why though? Were like 17 games out of the division lead. He's already thrown 187 innings. Why not give him 5 more starts instead of 6...

Carreno doesn't exactly have elite stuff, I'd be curious to see what he could do in the rotation but he doesn't exactly throw gas and he's another change guy. I could see giving him a spot start or 2 but not too many starts down the stretch. Maybe it would be good to see if he can be a back of the pen type guy like Janssen is becoming. Then maybe we can build around Janssen and Carreno at the back end of the pen with a new closer.

McJoe
09-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Also, I don't think you can give up on Cecil quite yet. We seem to be pretty quickly forgetting that he won 15 games last year and was lights out against the AL East. Even if he were one of those weird pitchers who ONLY pitches well in the AL East, he'd be a fine 4 or 5 starter.

I don't remember the stats off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure he was 9-2 with a high 2s/low 3s ERA against the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and Orioles last season. Then 6-5 against the rest of the league including I think 0-3 in interleague play.

jaysfan4ever
09-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Also, I don't think you can give up on Cecil quite yet. We seem to be pretty quickly forgetting that he won 15 games last year and was lights out against the AL East. Even if he were one of those weird pitchers who ONLY pitches well in the AL East, he'd be a fine 4 or 5 starter.

I don't remember the stats off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure he was 9-2 with a high 2s/low 3s ERA against the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and Orioles last season. Then 6-5 against the rest of the league including I think 0-3 in interleague play.

This season, he's struggled against the AL East with 17ER in 31 innings (4.93ERA). Not terrible numbers considering it's the AL East, but very replaceable.

phillipmike
09-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Reliever.

I know AA loves pitchers and values starters more but starters dont make up the whole team. As hard as it is to get starters in the league it is just as hard to get good relievers.

Some times you got to know when to stop looking at the best case. Carreno as a starter would be great but he would have value as a reliver as well. He looks fine as a reliver; let's keep him like that for now.