PDA

View Full Version : Knicks name Woodson assistant coach

Crackadalic
08-29-2011, 12:32 PM
The New York Knicks have named Mike Woodson as an assistant coach.
Woodson, who played his rookie NBA season of 1980-81 with the Knicks, joins Mike D'Antoni's staff after serving six years as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks from 2004-10. He compiled a record of 206-286 during his tenure in Atlanta, leading the Hawks to the playoffs in each of his three final seasons.

"I consider Mike D'Antoni to be one of the top coaches in our game and I am thankful for this opportunity," said Woodson. "I'm excited to rejoin this great franchise where my professional career started and will work to build off of the success they had here last season."
Woodson was selected by the Knicks with the 12th overall pick in the 1980 NBA Draft and went on to play 11 seasons in the NBA for New York, New Jersey, the Kings, Clippers, Houston and Cleveland. He averaged 14.0 points in 786 career games.

"I was extremely encouraged after meeting with Mike that he would be a great addition to our coaching staff and we are pleased to welcome him back to New York," D'Antoni said. "Mike brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our team and we are confident that he will help us as we continue towards our goal of building a championship team."
Before taking over in Atlanta, Woodson served as an assistant in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Detroit.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/29/2380251/knicks-name-woodson-assistant.html

I know this is best posted in the Knick forum but i wanted to know how everyone else feels about this move. This Lockout is boring and theres really nothing else to talk about :(

NYKnicks4511
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, it can't be worse than what we already have.

Hopefully this will prompt Herb Williams to lay off the herb and teach Amar'e some man D as well.

MrfadeawayJB
08-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I like the move.

Da Knicks
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
If it is for better defense im all for it...

KnicksR4Real
08-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Welcome!

ATLPRIMETIME21
08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Good move for the knicks

LTBaByyy
08-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Now they just need to pick up 2 defensive players and 1 scorer in Free Agency to come off the bench and they will be verrrrrrrry solid

Great move!!

gwrighter
08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
This is an amazing move for the knicks. strengthening their bench with a legit 50 win coach. ATL shouldn't have fired him.

Slimsim
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Hopefully it works I would like to keep Mike D as head coach this move means he's no longer being stubborn

Brooklyn Mets
08-29-2011, 02:32 PM
good move bringing in woodson

Hawkeye15
08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
very nice hire honestly. It balances Mike's offensive coaching ability with a good defensive coach in Woodson. Hopefully they listen to him on what players to bring in when FA opens up to fit his defensive style.

All in all, a very good hire for NY

Evolution23
08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Not a bad move. They got a defensive minded coach which is exactly what they needed.

strahan92osi72
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Only a matter of time before he's the head coach and Dumb'Toni is gone.

Bravo95
08-29-2011, 03:39 PM
ATL shouldn't have fired him.
Incorrect. Not many coaches could survive back to back playoff sweeps where the team looks unprepared and basically quits. He encouraged many of the bad habits that this team still can't break today (ISO-Joe offense, Josh Smith shooting jumpers, also never played Jeff Teague even when it was clear that Bibby was done). Larry Drew was his lead assistant and isn't much better as HC. Both might be better off as assistants, or at least Knicks' fans should hope so.

Sly Guy
08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
good move by the knicks. Let's hope D'Antoni will listen to the man.

justinnum1
08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
dont think he will help, the players need to believe that defense wins.

NYman15
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
I like the move. He brings some more experience to the coaching staff and hopefully some defensive schemes with him. I don't know if he is the future coach if Mike is fired but he is a former head coach who had success before.

John Walls Era
08-29-2011, 07:50 PM
If Mike is fired, he would be decent.

MJ-BULLS
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I like this hire for the Knicks alot. Good move.

LOOTERX9
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
YES! Now get rid of Dantoni and lets rock!! CP3, MELO, AMARE= Title favorites!!!!

roshan3ai
08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Love the hiring. Guy got fired because he didn't know jack **** about offense and ran iso plays all day in Atlanta, but he knows defense and he'll be very solid as an assistant coach to a offensive minded guy like Mike.

Punk
08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Great hiring. He was a great teacher for the Hawks. D'antoni can stick to getting Melo and Amare into the offense, Billups understanding plays, Fields getting into the system again, etc.

It's a well balanced move. I think more NBA teams need to do this.

gwrighter
08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Incorrect. Not many coaches could survive back to back playoff sweeps where the team looks unprepared and basically quits. He encouraged many of the bad habits that this team still can't break today (ISO-Joe offense, Josh Smith shooting jumpers, also never played Jeff Teague even when it was clear that Bibby was done). Larry Drew was his lead assistant and isn't much better as HC. Both might be better off as assistants, or at least Knicks' fans should hope so.

nah man. This past years magic team has been the weakest since their finals run. They had a WAY better team in 2009 with a healthy Barnes, Gortat, Lewis, Vince Carter, & Pietrus. The Hawks also lost to LBJ's Cavs with the best record in the league the year before that. nothing to be sad about as both were just flat out better teams.

The Hawks of this past year made it just as far & lost to the Bulls who were arguably almost/just as good as both of the aforementioned teams. So there was effectively no playoff performance change yet a decrease in the season win total. That's a step backwards imo.

PrettyBoyJ
08-30-2011, 01:15 AM
I like the signing but I still think we just need a new coach.. Fast Pace offense can only get you so far especially without any Defense..

Will 2 BE
08-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Its a good move but we have to see if the players buy into a defensive mindset.

sventhedog
08-30-2011, 03:48 AM
he'll probably shave his armpit hair if the knicks go on a losing streak. but i hope the knicks make the playoffs.

Knicks21
08-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Signing anything to do with defence is a good thing. Better than Herb and Dan at least.

Crackadalic
08-30-2011, 07:20 AM
The last couple of years the hawks has been a pretty solid team defensively when Mike was head coach. Hopefully this hiring helps us be at best top 10-15 in defense but it really depends who else will bring in on our team

NYKalltheway
08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
It's a well balanced move. I think more NBA teams need to do this.

no, most NBA should look to sack **** coaches who suck on one end of the court. A basketball coach must be knowledgable at both ends otherwise he's inadequate. NBA should find adequate coaches. Having multiple coaches means more money spent... then people wonder where teams spend their money that caused a lockout. In Europe for example, the coaches are much better than the average NBA coaches who only know some offensive or defensive plays. Problem is the best coaches in the world are Serbian and generally ex-Yugo... And the 'teachers' of the great Plavi 'school' have no intention of joining American teams.

I think Mike Woodson would make a good head coach for the Knicks. But paired to D'Antoni, I only see friction.

Khalifa21
08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty happy with this.

Punk
08-31-2011, 02:18 PM
dont think he will help, the players need to believe that defense wins.

Amar'e: "Defense is 1 of key factors for us as we r trying to bc a top defensive team in NBA..hiring of Mike Woodson is great 1st step." #fb

You were saying?

uprightciti
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
fire herb fire mike 2012 you have ur self the zen master and RINGZZZ

blahblahyoutoo
08-31-2011, 11:38 PM
good move.
now they have to trade carmelo for CP3 or Dwill.