PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Believe Portland Is A Title Contender?

Fresno
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Just wanted to see what others thought.

The injury bug has ravaged this team from being considered 3 years ago from being a potential Dynasty, to a team basically lost in translation.

The biggest questions relate to the health/recovery of both Brandon Roy & Greg Oden. The latest I've seen on both is that they're recovering well and Roy's knee are making him more confident compared to where he was in the Mavericks series.

Oden, when healthy, is a top shotblocker & rebounder. He plans to be down to 265lbs for the start of the season to help keep down on carrying too much weight. This is his last season to prove his worth as the #1 pick and hes always been motivated to do it.

Roy, when healthy, is a top 5 SG in the NBA. His knee injuries have ruined him last season because he put too much pressure on getting back out there when he needed to take time off to recover.

Then when you factor in another 2-4 months until when the season likely starts, it gives them more time to get healthy for a shortened season.

PG: Raymond Felton, Nolan Smith
SG: Brandon Roy, Wes Matthews
SF: Gerald Wallace, Nicolas Batum
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Marcus Camby, Greg Oden

Thats a good 9 man rotation right there.

If they stay healthy, is this a title contender?

llemon
08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I'll assume that there are Blazer fans that believe so.

TO Rapz
08-27-2011, 08:59 PM

The injury bug has ravaged this team from being considered 3 years ago from being a potential Dynasty, to a team basically lost in translation.

The biggest questions relate to the health/recovery of both Brandon Roy & Greg Oden. The latest I've seen on both is that they're recovering well and Roy's knee are making him more confident compared to where he was in the Mavericks series.

Oden, when healthy, is a top shotblocker & rebounder. He plans to be down to 265lbs for the start of the season to help keep down on carrying too much weight. This is his last season to prove his worth as the #1 pick and hes always been motivated to do it.

Roy, when healthy, is a top 5 SG in the NBA. His knee injuries have ruined him last season because he put too much pressure on getting back out there when he needed to take time off to recover.

Then when you factor in another 2-4 months until when the season likely starts, it gives them more time to get healthy for a shortened season.

Mishmin
08-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Not yet. Love their team though. For me their playoff success will depend on Matthews getting up near all-star quality. He's got the potential.

justinnum1
08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Absolutely not.

Swashcuff
08-27-2011, 09:09 PM
If they are able to get Oden and Roy at around 80% healthy over the course of the season and playoff I see no reason why not. Easily the most talented starting 5 and possibly the strongest bench in the league if all things go right. Problem is all things never goes right, well at least in Portland.

valade16
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll assume that there are Blazer fans that believe so.

I'll assume you don't think so? I think they absolutely are.

The west is very vulnerable. The lakers were imploding and lost Phil. Mavs finally won it but are a year older, spurs are declining. This is a perfect opportunity for teams like OKC, Mem, and Portland to take advantage.

The Blazers played the Mavs Better than any other team in the playoffs last year, and added Raymond Felton.

All that being said, Roy or Oden has to be healthy, without many other injuries to have any kind of shot, and even then, any west team is going to have their hands full trying to get past Miami.

pd1dish
08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
even healthy i dont see it happening. idk if Roy will ever be as good as he was in '08 and '09. hell, his doctor recommended retirement in the next couple years if he want to have knees (although im sure a lot of players ignore advice from their doctors). Oden, even in a best case scenario, is going to be a solid defender, but we still dont know what he can really bring offensively without being within 3 feet from the basket. Gerald Wallace is old and only getting older and im not a big Felton fan.

they are for sure a solid overall team. however, without Roy being 100% again and with all the injury prone players they have, i never see them going far into the playoffs.

Bruno
08-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Even with a 100% healthy Roy it would be an uphill battle for them. He'll never be able to play the minutes or carry the load he once did; I don't think they can get it done without a healthy Roy playing big minutes. I think they could reach a WCF if everyone had health. That's not gona happen, IMO.

LakersMaster24
08-27-2011, 09:21 PM
The fathest I see them is the 2nd Round. They really need another ALL STAR or STAR in that team.

shep33
08-27-2011, 09:35 PM
they need shooters badly. Felton will help there, but even so, Roy and Oden have to be 100%, and even if they are, I wonder how this team's chemistry would be with everyone healthy. This unit has basically never played together.

NBA_Starter
08-27-2011, 09:37 PM
If and it's a gigantic IF they can stay healthy

RevisIsland
08-27-2011, 09:41 PM
No.

Hellcrooner
08-27-2011, 09:43 PM
no.

barring any relevant trades there are only 3 teams that can REALLY go all the way

mavs/Heat/Lakers.

albertc86
08-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Never have.

jimbobjarree
08-27-2011, 09:53 PM
theyre definitely a northwest division title contender, so theres that :shrug:

bovice163
08-27-2011, 09:56 PM
If Brandon Roy had any meniscus left in either knee, they might have been able to make the Finals, and that's me being optimistic. They're still too young a team to be considered contenders, even if they were all 100% healthy.

llemon
08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I'll assume you don't think so? I think they absolutely are.

The west is very vulnerable. The lakers were imploding and lost Phil. Mavs finally won it but are a year older, spurs are declining. This is a perfect opportunity for teams like OKC, Mem, and Portland to take advantage.

The Blazers played the Mavs Better than any other team in the playoffs last year, and added Raymond Felton.

All that being said, Roy or Oden has to be healthy, without many other injuries to have any kind of shot, and even then, any west team is going to have their hands full trying to get past Miami.

At this point in time, I feel it is not worth the effort of my thought.

If and when there is an NBA season, and I see what signings and trades are done, and who is healthy and who is not, I will give it some consideration.

Stuckey#3
08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
When Wallace came aboard midseason it really tightened up their team. If Oden could get healthy and truly become a top 5 center I see them making the WCF in two years. Felton and Wallace already have chemistry from their Charlotte days... this team could be a dangerous upset team in the playoffs.

valade16
08-27-2011, 11:22 PM
no.

barring any relevant trades there are only 3 teams that can REALLY go all the way

mavs/Heat/Lakers.

And last year Nobody had the Mavs in that group. It took one new guy to add to an established core (T. Chandler) to get them over the hump.

Raymond Felton anybody?

Look, all I'm saying is if Oden returns healthy and even the Roy of last year, you know the one who basically beat the Mavs single handedly one game, the Blazers will be a great team.

Last year, after the Wallace trade, the Blazers were on pace for 54 wins...

Look at that roster and show me a deeper team. Or a team with as good a starting 5.

Avenged
08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Not with their current roster, no.

If they were all healthy then yes, they'd be a legitimate top contender.

valade16
08-27-2011, 11:32 PM
At this point in time, I feel it is not worth the effort of my thought.

If and when there is an NBA season, and I see what signings and trades are done, and who is healthy and who is not, I will give it some consideration.

I'll give you that. The entire landscape of the NBA could change given trades and signings, but as it stands now, I think they're easily one of the mos talented teams in the league

valade16
08-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Not with their current roster, no.

If they were all healthy then yes, they'd be a legitimate top contender.

... Isn't this a contradiction?

29$JerZ
08-27-2011, 11:40 PM
They would need Oden to be healthy all season and for Roy to be better than a decent role player now

llemon
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I'll give you that. The entire landscape of the NBA could change given trades and signings, but as it stands now, I think they're easily one of the mos talented teams in the league

There is no question that we are all entitled to our own opinion.

ragee
08-27-2011, 11:52 PM
I am still not giving up on Oden... If he find a way to be healthy, he would help his team tremendously...

MrfadeawayJB
08-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I would say 2-3 years ago they would have been IF they stayed healthy. But now that Roy had his serious injury, i just dont think they ever will be until they find a "star player" to replace Roy and team up with Lamarcus Aldridge

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2011, 11:54 PM
nope. Roy and Oden will never reach their peaks cuz of injuries.

Hellcrooner
08-28-2011, 12:14 AM
And last year Nobody had the Mavs in that group. It took one new guy to add to an established core (T. Chandler) to get them over the hump.

Raymond Felton anybody?

Look, all I'm saying is if Oden returns healthy and even the Roy of last year, you know the one who basically beat the Mavs single handedly one game, the Blazers will be a great team.

Last year, after the Wallace trade, the Blazers were on pace for 54 wins...

Look at that roster and show me a deeper team. Or a team with as good a starting 5.

No , it took something wrong in the Locker room bugging the leutenants performance for mavs to win.

If all lakers players wer injury free and focused mavs woudl have won Jack.

llemon
08-28-2011, 12:18 AM
No , it took something wrong in the Locker room bugging the leutenants performance for mavs to win.

If all lakers players wer injury free and focused mavs woudl have won Jack.

Being able to express your opinion, even though nearly no one agrees with it is great, ain't it?

Hellcrooner
08-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Being able to express your opinion, even though nearly no one agrees with it is great, ain't it?

Sometimes is the ultimate goal in life, to enter a Bar in the middle of a fight and ask " why are you fighting?" " because A" and the others "because B".

Ok, then i say F.

Hellcrooner
08-28-2011, 12:22 AM

and btw.

Copernicus was right. go figure.

Avenged
08-28-2011, 12:25 AM
... Isn't this a contradiction?

Yeah, guess I just worded it wrong.

If fully healthy then yes, they are title contenders.

But with their current roster (injuries to Roy and Oden) no, they have no chance at a title.

MJ-BULLS
08-28-2011, 12:29 AM
If they are fully healthy, they might be, but it depends what kind of leaps GO makes. If Roy was healthy and the same player he used to be i would have said yes.

thawv
08-28-2011, 12:34 AM

Only a delusional Blazer could think like this. A big fat NO!!

LosDoyers1
08-28-2011, 12:35 AM
If they are fully healthy, they might be, but it depends what kind of leaps GO makes. If Roy was healthy and the same player he used to be i would have said yes.

+1. If Roy and Oden were both 100% for an entire season, I'd say yes. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so they're just another playoff team in the West that will give teams some problems. That's about it.

llemon
08-28-2011, 12:36 AM
and btw.

Copernicus was right. go figure.

Lotsa people were right. Lotsa people were wrong.

Sometimes they were both, within the same statement.

Just goes to show what complicated things existence and opinion can be.

OlivaThor
08-28-2011, 06:03 AM
IF healthy, for sure, starting 5 is best in the league

naps
08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
If Roy and Oden are 100% healthy they are my team from west, hands down. I don't see any team in the west beating a 100% healthy Portland. But hey it's never gonna happen, after all we are talking about Portland's luck, right?

beasted86
08-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Yes.

Lakers: Will be adjusting under a new coach, and are a year older. All main rotation players except Bynum still 31 or older (Bryant, Gasol, Odom, Artest, Fisher, Blake, Barnes).

Mavs: Who knows if they can retain some of their key rotation guys (Chandler, Barea, Butler, Stevenson) if the CBA changes are as stringent as the owners want the system. With any type of upper level cap, the Mavs are screwed as they have $60M committed already without re-signing any single player yet. So something like a $70M upper level hard cap would kill them.

Spurs: Older and lacking strength in the front court

OKC: Was never a strong contender to begin with.

So it is very possible for Portland to finish in the top 3 and make a deeper playoff run.

riley24
08-28-2011, 09:16 AM

i believe with the pieces they got now they are a solid 6-8 seat because a solid title contender isn't born out of thin air. but maybe 2 or 3 years down the line when the younger players develop and the older players provide more leadership it can happen.

riley24
08-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes.

Lakers: Will be adjusting under a new coach, and are a year older. All main rotation players except Bynum still 31 or older (Bryant, Gasol, Odom, Artest, Fisher, Blake, Barnes).

Mavs: Who knows if they can retain some of their key rotation guys (Chandler, Barea, Butler, Stevenson) if the CBA changes are as stringent as the owners want the system. With any type of upper level cap, the Mavs are screwed as they have $60M committed already without re-signing any single player yet. So something like a $70M upper level hard cap would kill them.

Spurs: Older and lacking strength in the front court

OKC: Was never a strong contender to begin with.

So it is very possible for Portland to finish in the top 3 and make a deeper playoff run.
don't forget that Denver could be the wild card. i also expect the Lakers to make a move Jerry buss is not going to sit still and waste his money for nothing.

heattiltheend94
08-28-2011, 09:34 AM
yes...
Felton is average at best, but pg is the least important position
sg: roy was top 3 when he was healthy only to Wade and Kobe
sf:Wallace is a good defender who is borderline top 10
pf: Aldridge was a beast last year and basically led them to the playoffs singlehandedly
c: and the center duo is quite formidable. I feel sorry for anyone trying to get a rebound off of Oden and Camby

DR_1
08-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Maybe they remind me of the grizz

gwrighter
08-28-2011, 10:12 AM
they have the personnel to be a contender, gotta stay healthy tho.

DwayneMVPwade
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
If Healthy, Yes

ewmania
08-28-2011, 11:35 AM
to me portland is the deepest team in the NBA and that unhealthy team is the only team in the playoffs that almost gave Dallas a problem

a healthy portland can win a chip

roy
oden
wallace
batum
felton
lamarcus
matthew

like seriously this team is dangerous, just imagine when they gain chemistry

millerandco
08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
they are. except there are 3 major problems

1. get a new point guard. i dont think that felton is the answer

2. look into trading brandon roy. i love his game but unfortunately i think he may be done. but his value is so low maybe we dont get anything good in return

3. if oden doesn't get healthy we need a new big man. there is only so long that camby can stay our no.1 center

keep in mind we lost to the mavs the eventual champs. and we put up a hell of a fight.

jrm2054
08-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Is Roy going ever be back to what he was. If so then ya they will be Roy is an amazing player but with his knees who knows.

Swashcuff
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
to me portland is the deepest team in the NBA and that unhealthy team is the only team in the playoffs that almost gave Dallas a problem

a healthy portland can win a chip

roy
oden
wallace
batum
felton
lamarcus
matthew

like seriously this team is dangerous, just imagine when they gain chemistry

If you ask me they have potential to be better than the 04 Pistons. I mean even if Roy doesn't return to his old self his intangible worth is far greater than most SGs in the NBA. Oden IMO is the X-Factor. A healthy Greg Oden is IMO the only real potential challenge for Dwight's #1 place at the C position. If Oden miraculously becomes healthy I certainly see the Blazers giving any top team in the league a run for their money. Also lets not forget Nate McMillan who is easily the most underrated coach in the NBA.

ne3xchamps
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
not at all. Good team and upcoming, but not close to a contender. especially being in the west.

oldfishermen
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure where the idea came from the Blazers are deep with talent? They were deep, but no longer. The Blazer’s traded away a lot of their depth to cover the loss of players to injuries. The Blazers need to add depth with a quality C, and good backup PF such as Carl Landry, or Kirilenko.

I have no idea where they can find a good center? Oden’s future health is a never ending question. Camby is close to retiring, and misses a lot of games. Aldridge is their only healthy true good C/PF. Aldridge would rather play only PF. He is more productive at PF than at C. When Camby takes games off, there are entire games the Blazers do not have a good C on the floor.

Wallace and Batum have played out of position to cover the backup PF position. Wallace would rather play SF than PF, and he is more productive @ SF. Batum just wants to play any position, but he gets taken advantage of @ PF. I would like to see Batum play more SG if Brandon Roy is not going to rebound from his injury, which is very probable. Batum plays a lot SG for the French national team, and does very well at that position. A lineup of PF Aldridge, SF Wallace, and SG Batum would be scary.

Good bigs do not come cheap. Brandon Roy’s huge contract will hold the Blazers back for the next 4 seasons. How well Felton takes over the PG position, and the rest of the team adjusts to him is also a big question.

Sportfan
08-28-2011, 02:13 PM
yes....batum, matthews and aldridge are 3 of the most underrated players in the NBA

Fresno
08-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow. 4 pages.

Nobody acknowledged that Aldridge has emerged into a Top 5 PF. YES, I'd have him at #5 behind only Gasol, Dirk, Amare, & Randolph. If you disagree we can debate all day whether you think Love, Griffin, or Bosh are better coming off of last season.

Nobody has acknowledged Wes Matthews put up 15 PPG in Year 2 and is one of the better perimeter defenders and he can knock down the 3.

If Raymond Felton isnt the answer then who is? They flipped Rudy Fernandez for him. Felton was putting up All Star quality numbers in New York. Obviously their system is inflated for production, but he is a good PG and offers more than Andre Miller. Did I mention this is a contract year for him?

Even if Roy never becomes a Top 5 SG again he still would be borderline Top 10 because his game didnt solely rely on athleticism. He has a high basketball IQ, is a good shooter, and could excel as a 6th Man. People seem to have forgotten Roy is a good passer and can play some PG if needed. He did it before.

Fresno
08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Also lets put this out there.

If Greg Oden is "healthy" that means he at least plays 65% of games and is healthy by the Playoff run. Also can people stop throwing this "bust" stuff around. At worst, Oden is a better version of Tyson Chandler. At best, Oden lives up to his potential and becomes a Top 5 C in the NBA. You can say whatever you want about injuries, but guys prove how good they are when they're on the court just like Walton & Yao.

Portland has 3 of the Top 10 best perimeter defenders in Wallace, Batum, & Matthews.

The real X Factor is the end of Portland's bench. Nolan Smith, Elliot Williams, Luke Babbit, Patty Mills, & Armon Johnson.

3 of which were Portland's 1st round picks. How good are they? How much can they contribute? Smith is a NBA ready Combo Guard. Elliot Williams is a rangy athlete who can play good defense. Babbitt is a good shooter with deceptive athleticism. Mills is undersized but a quick PG. Johnson isnt good at 1 thing but has a lot of upside.

Will they contribute?

MackSnackWrap
08-28-2011, 05:37 PM
In all honesty portland has one of the if not most balanced and deep teams in the league. But i just dont think they can get deep into the playoffs facing the like of san antonio, dallas, L.A and even okc. Plus Brandon Roys knees and odens injury doesnt help the cause.

oldfishermen
08-28-2011, 05:45 PM
You are right about Aldridge. The Blazers are now his team.

You are also right about Mathews. Did you know he played much of last season on an injured ankle? He is still nursing the injury.

Felton bought the Blazers time to add much needed experienced depth to their roster. Felton does add different talent than Miller. However the Blazers lost rare talents Miller provided. The Felton-Miller trade was a push, but they got younger. The Blazers will be a good team longer with Felton than with Miller, “IF” free agent Felton resigns with the Blazers next season.

Sad to say, Brandon Roy will never be a top 5 SG again. His injured knees may not let him play much longer. The problem the Blazers now have when Brandon plays is. His game is so different from Aldridge’s style. The Blazers are trying to go from Brandon’s iso style, to more of a running fast break ball movement team. When Brandon plays, he creates chemistry issues. The rest of the players on the floor stand around waiting to see what Brandon does, including Aldridge. Brandon can no longer do enough, often enough, to overcome the chemistry issues he creates. The best option for the Blazers future would be to have Brandon’s HUGE contract paid off under an amnesty clause in the new CBA.

For me, the Blazer’s X factor is NOT the end of the bench players you mentioned. Coach Nate does not have the patience to develop young players. Owner Paul Allen wants to win NOW. During the regular season, Nate rides his experience players. The X factor is Greg Oden. If he can get healthy and stay healthy, which is doubtful, he instantly makes this roster a ring contender. Without Oden, or another very good C, the Blazers are not a ring contender, but close.

The Blazers also need to find a good experienced backup PF. Aldridge played too many minutes during the regular season. He was worn out by playoff time. The entire core was worn out during the playoffs due to lack of experienced depth. Yet they still played the Mavs tough. The Blazers are two experienced players away, (one if Oden returns) from being a serious ring contending team. In a 7 game playoff series, the coach for the opposing team has found a way to exploit the Blazers lack of experienced depth in the first round, three years in a row.

The Blazers have a very good core group of Aldridge, Batum, Wallace, Mathews and now Felton. All these core players are about the same age. They should develop well together over the next few years. With a little more experienced help, and no more injuries to the core group, watch out for the Blazers.

ChaseHamels
08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Sure...they should have at least 15 months to get healthy.

Bishnoff
08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
As always with Portland, it depends on injuries.

Swashcuff
08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Portland has 3 of the Top 10 best perimeter defenders in Wallace, Batum, & Matthews.

Really?

Who else would you put in your top 10? Because IMO Batum and Wallace are borderline and Matthews isn't even close.

The real X Factor is the end of Portland's bench. Nolan Smith, Elliot Williams, Luke Babbit, Patty Mills, & Armon Johnson.

That couldn't be more wrong. Come playoff time the chances of these guys seeing any considerable minutes and making a difference are slim to none. Greg Oden is hands down the Blazers X-Factor. Hell if you ask me he's the biggest X-Factor in the league by a long shot.

Swashcuff
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
they are. except there are 3 major problems

1. get a new point guard. i dont think that felton is the answer

:confused:

How could you not think he's the answer when you haven't seen him play a single game in a Blazer uniform? Felton is a reasonable 2 way PG plays well in the clutch and a very good distributor. He's a borderline top 10 PG and you guys would find it really hard to upgrade at the PG.

2. look into trading brandon roy. i love his game but unfortunately i think he may be done. but his value is so low maybe we dont get anything good in return

Not happening. Roy can still contribute but he can't play for long periods on end. The only way you guys get Roy traded is if you take a Gilbert Arenas type in return.

3. if oden doesn't get healthy we need a new big man. there is only so long that camby can stay our no.1 center

Honestly the only shot your current line-up will have at being legit contenders is if Greg Oden is healthy. Replacing Oden is not going to be easy with someone who could fill his shoes and propel you guys to championship level is not going to be easy.

sventhedog
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
but roy and oden have this hobby of getting injured.

nickdymez
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes. Barring another injury plagued season...

3mikee_
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Injuries.. obviously.

But I feel like at this point Roy is so injury riddled that even if he has a healthy season he's going to be mediocre at best. Jury is still out on Greg Oden, although many people already think of him as a bust I feel like if he can stay injury free (obvious again) he can be a very good player.

But no. Not a contender...

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Injuries.. obviously.

But I feel like at this point Roy is so injury riddled that even if he has a healthy season he's going to be mediocre at best. Jury is still out on Greg Oden, although many people already think of him as a bust I feel like if he can stay injury free (obvious again) he can be a very good player.

But no. Not a contender...

What do you see as being mediocre at best?

To me mediocre is along the lines of a Kieth Bogans? Do you think the best Brandon Roy could be is Keith Bogans?

valade16
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
What do you see as being mediocre at best?

To me mediocre is along the lines of a Kieth Bogans? Do you think the best Brandon Roy could be is Keith Bogans?

For real! Did nobody on here watch the Blazers/Mavs playoff game where Roy scored something like 23 of 26 points and the Blazers came back from like 20 down to win?

Roy can still be a valuable contributor off the bench. The key with the Blazers is and will always be health.

There are rumors Landry might sign with the Blazers, how does a team of Felton, Mathews, Wallace, Aldridge, Camby with Landry, Roy, Oden, and Batum off the bench NOT have a shot at a title?!

llemon
08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
For real! Did nobody on here watch the Blazers/Mavs playoff game where Roy scored something like 23 of 26 points and the Blazers came back from like 20 down to win?

Roy can still be a valuable contributor off the bench. The key with the Blazers is and will always be health.

There are rumors Landry might sign with the Blazers, how does a team of Felton, Mathews, Wallace, Aldridge, Camby with Landry, Roy, Oden, and Batum off the bench NOT have a shot at a title?!

As I said very early in this thread, I'm sure there are Blazer fans the believe Blazers are Title contenders.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Injurys.

Add that mcmillan is an awfull coach.

oldfishermen
08-29-2011, 03:42 PM

?!

I am a Blazer fan, have been for since 1976. I have kept a home within 15 miles of the Blazers stadium this entire time. This Blazer fan does not believe the present Blazer roster is a title contender.

Concerning Brandon Roy, he was amazing in the third game of the playoffs against the Mavs, 24 points in 24 minutes. Roy won that game.

Roy was very productive at the beginning of last season. Then he re-injured his knees. He took 23 games off to rehab. When he returned, he only had two good games, both were against the Mavs. One game in March and the other you mention in the playoffs. That is all, two good games. That is not a mediocre performance. The other problem is, he is now a liability on defense.

Bravo95
08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
They haven't advanced out of the first round in a nearly a decade, plenty of injury concerns, and Felton's inconsistent. Too many "ifs" in a tough Western Conference, so I say no.

85BearsDefense
08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Top 4 Seed if healthy IMO but they wont stay healthy

Lake_Show2416
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
maybe if god liked them a little more ha

Stack_NJNets
08-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Not yet. LMA is the face of the franchise now, we'll see what happens when he becomes a FA.

oldfishermen
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
LMA is the face of the franchise now, we'll see what happens when he becomes a FA.

LMA's contract runs four more seasons (2015).

valade16
08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Injurys.

Add that mcmillan is an awfull coach.

How do you figure Mathews is an injury lock? Given the 0 games he's missed to injuries thus far?!

Also, McMillan is anything but an awful coach. I know your butt-hurt your boy Rudy Fernandez didn't get more playing time but the fact is, he just wasn't as good as Roy nor Mathews. Get over it. Calling McMillan awful reeks of hate.

And to conclude, I've said all along that injuries will be the difference in title hopes or 1 and done...

I can think of 3 western teams and 2, possibly 3 eastern teams with better title hopes and that's it.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
How do you figure Mathews is an injury lock? Given the 0 games he's missed to injuries thus far?!

Also, McMillan is anything but an awful coach. I know your butt-hurt your boy Rudy Fernandez didn't get more playing time but the fact is, he just wasn't as good as Roy nor Mathews. Get over it. Calling McMillan awful reeks of hate.

And to conclude, I've said all along that injuries will be the difference in title hopes or 1 and done...

I can think of 3 western teams and 2, possibly 3 eastern teams with better title hopes and that's it.

wes played on limited health the whole last season , that ends up hurting you sooner or later.
and i still say nate is a bad coach, does not react to in game situations, does not addapt the system to the players he has, does not know how to use a bench, repeates over and over t he same subtitition patterns not paying attention to whaTS happening in the game, systematically destroys young players confidence and does not play them at all.
He is too conservative and he is leading the team to nowhere.

THE MTL
08-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Brandon Roy has a chronic condition and will never be considered healthy. He has no meniscus in his knees!

Greg Oden will find some way to get injured. And you have to understand the amount of COURT TIME he has missed. The guy played like 80 games in the past four years. He is missing ALOT of experience.

I will say that if they were a healthy team they would no doubt be a title contender, but i dnt think them staying healthy especially all at the same time is possible.

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
As I said very early in this thread, I'm sure there are Blazer fans the believe Blazers are Title contenders.

If you go through this thread you'd see that most posters who said they believe they can be title contenders aren't even Blazers fans.

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 04:55 PM
The only reason Hellcrooner believe Nate McMillan is a bad coach is because of the perceived mishandling of Rudy Fernandez. Portland tried to play Rudy more as a spot up shooter when in fact he plays best with the ball in his hands creating shots for himself and attacking the basket.

Crooner is biased ignore his stance on anything to do with any team that features a player named Gasol or Fernandez. He'll always try to defend his boys.

Nate did what was best for his team not what was best for individuals that's why he has remained such a successful motivator in Portland despite the many many injuries they have faced.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
The only reason Hellcrooner believe Nate McMillan is a bad coach is because of the perceived mishandling of Rudy Fernandez. Portland tried to play Rudy more as a spot up shooter when in fact he plays best with the ball in his hands creating shots for himself and attacking the basket.

Crooner is biased ignore his stance on anything to do with any team that features a player named Gasol or Fernandez. He'll always try to defend his boys.

Nate did what was best for his team not what was best for individuals that's why he has remained such a successful motivator in Portland despite the many many injuries they have faced.
He has ruined Bayless too for example, is ruining Babbitt, never knew what to do with Blake, is starting to prey on batum too.

His team was built TO RUN but decided to cage them in mid court system.

I ahd been telin g ALDRIGE had to be the Franchise dude for years, yes before roy got injured but he kept ignoring him and using teh " give it to roy and let him do what he wants" systme.

believe what you want, he IS a bad coach.

llemon
08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
If you go through this thread you'd see that most posters who said they believe they can be title contenders aren't even Blazers fans.

And does that contradict my statement?

joeboow90
08-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I like the Blazers a lot i think theyre gonna surprise a lot of people this season whenever it happens. i think theyll make the playoffs with a good seed like 4 or 5 but i cant say that theyll legitimately win the title. it all hinges on brandon roy and greg oden. if those two guys can contribute they could really make a run at the mavs

joepfarley
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
no

WildcatsPride
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
If they stay healthy they have a chance.

smith&wesson
08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
too many injury prone players

camby
roy
g.wallace

love lamarcus aldridge and ray felton. if the rest of the team can stay healthy they have a good shot.

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 06:13 PM
And does that contradict my statement?

Did I say you contradicted? I am just pointing it out to you that it's not only Blazer fans who believe that.

llemon
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Did I say you contradicted? I am just pointing it out to you that it's not only Blazer fans who believe that.

Don't believe I said that only Blazer fans would believe that.

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Don't believe I said that only Blazer fans would believe that.

Again apparently I am not being clear enough. I am pointing out to you that Blazer fans aren't the only ones who do, because you didn't say it doesn't mean that you were being conclusive enough. I am sure there are fans of damn near every team in the league who believe they do.

llemon
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Again apparently I am not being clear enough. I am pointing out to you that Blazer fans aren't the only ones who do, because you didn't say it doesn't mean that you were being conclusive enough. I am sure there are fans of damn near every team in the league who believe they do.

And again, I'll point out that I didn't suggest that non-Blazer fans would think that Blazers didn't have a chance at a Title.

I didn't even suggest that I believed Blazers weren't a contender.

valade16
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
wes played on limited health the whole last season , that ends up hurting you sooner or later.
and i still say nate is a bad coach, does not react to in game situations, does not addapt the system to the players he has, does not know how to use a bench, repeates over and over t he same subtitition patterns not paying attention to whaTS happening in the game, systematically destroys young players confidence and does not play them at all.
He is too conservative and he is leading the team to nowhere.

Doesn't play young players and destroys their confidence?!

Explain Roy and Aldridge, who both became stars under his development. Explain Mathews who got 33 mpg last year? Or Batum? Who clocked 31 mpg...

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM
He has ruined Bayless too for example, is ruining Babbitt, never knew what to do with Blake, is starting to prey on batum too.

His team was built TO RUN but decided to cage them in mid court system.

I ahd been telin g ALDRIGE had to be the Franchise dude for years, yes before roy got injured but he kept ignoring him and using teh " give it to roy and let him do what he wants" systme.

believe what you want, he IS a bad coach.

So is Larry Brown right?

Hellcrooner
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
So is Larry Brown right?

brown has several deep pñlayoff runs and a ring.

what does nate have?

drew_ellis_23
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
brown has several deep pñlayoff runs and a ring.

what does nate have?

How long has Brown been coaching? Nate has done quite well and hasnt even been at it that long. Just cause you are still on Rudy's n**z. Rudy sucked. Nate is fine.

Hellcrooner
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
^rudy is on the mavs so whats the relevance?

oldfishermen
08-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I will agree Coach Nate McMillan is very good for “some” coaching responsibilities. Most of the Blazer players like him, most of the time, which is very important. However, Nate has a few coaching flaws.

How Nate handles the young players is one of them. Part of this may not be all Nate’s fault. Owner Paul Allen wants to win now. Allen wants to make the playoffs at any cost. This means Nate must win as many regular season games as possible. To do this, he plays the veteran core very long minutes, leaving only table scraps for the young players to develop on. The veterans do not get enough rest, and the young players do not develop. The only starter remaining the Blazers drafted and developed was Aldridge. The other 4 starters were developed on other teams, and traded or picked up as a FA. Playing so many veterans long regular season minutes “may” also be part of the reason so many veterans have injuries on this team.

My biggest complaint about Nate is, he does not think fast on his feet during a game. In the regular season, his players have so much talent he gets away with it. However, in a 7 game playoff series, Nate has been out-coached, every series. The only games Nate has won in a playoff series are when one or more of his players go off for a monster game. Nate has lost every Blazer playoff series he has coached for the Blazers, in spite of having better players in some of them. In other words, I do not see Nate as the coach to take the Blazers to the next level, let alone coach a title contending team. He is a good coach. But he is not good enough to get deep into the playoffs.