PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Nuggets GM, which 3 of these 5 FAs would you try to keep?

DenButsu
08-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I hope you guys don't mind me posting a Nugg-o-centric thread in the main forum. Hopefully this will be of wider interest since at least some of these players may end up on the open market, and some of you probably want (or don't want) them to land on your team. Also, I'm interested to see how the PSD NBA fan base stacks these guys up. Anyhow...

If you were the Nuggets GM and you could retain only 3 of the following 5 players, who would you keep?

Arron Afflalo*
Wilson Chandler*
Kenyon Martin
Nene
J.R. Smith

*restricted

I know Nene will probably be a no-brainer for most people, but do keep in mind that the Nuggets are now at least a semi-rebuilding team and retaining him won't be cheap.

asandhu23
08-27-2011, 12:31 AM
I would keep the Nuggets forum. ;)

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Wilson, Afflalo, Nene

mdm692
08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Is this even a question??

Afflalo, Chandler, Nene

Gators123
08-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Afflalo, Nene, Chandler. Easy.

DenButsu
08-27-2011, 12:45 AM
I would keep the Nuggets forum. ;)

Newb.

Afflalo, Chandler, Nene

Well, I think most will include Nene and discard K-Mart. Maybe I should have just made it 2 of the 3 swingmen. (Hindsight = 20/20).

But I do think there's a pretty strong case to be made for keeping J.R. AA and WC have more overlapping skill sets, and really on the last roster J.R. was one of the very few players who could create his own shot. Of course there are the problems with defense and unpredictability on and off the court, too.

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Afflalo - Great D and scores efficiently. (age 25)
Nene - It's hard to find good big men these days in the NBA. Nene is a extremely efficient big man who intimidates the paint on the defensive end. He won't block shots but his big presence is the reason for his intimidation.

J.R Smith - Deadly potential is still there.

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Afflalo - Great D and scores efficiently. (age 25)
Nene - It's hard to find good big men these days in the NBA. Nene is a extremely efficient big man who intimidates the paint on the defensive end. He won't block shots but his big presence is the reason for his intimidation.

J.R Smith - Deadly potential is still there.

not really...

Knicks21
08-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Nene, Wilson, and Aflfalo. You'd probably be up for about 25m for all of them.

coryd238
08-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Afflalo, Nene, and JR. JR has the potential to be a VERY solid player. He was the Nugget's second best passer last season and our most athletic player EASILY. He just needs solid minutes, and he could be great.

But then, that's the problem. How do we split up Jr and AA's minutes? That's the main reason for not keeping him, I guess.

PatsSoxKnicks
08-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I'd definitely keep Afflalo and you know why Den.

ohreally
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Pretty obvious, I'd say. But then again, Denver is obviously in great position for "Let's Make a Deal," so it all depends on what deals they might be able to make.

Denver may be unsettled, but I wouldn't say they are rebuilding. You do not enter a rebuilding phase with the depth and talent and draft picks that Denver has right now.

Chacarron
08-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Nene, Afflalo and Chandler.

TO Rapz
08-27-2011, 02:07 AM
nene, afflalo, chandler.

LakersMaster24
08-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Nene - Great Center
Chandler - Great Role player that can easily start
Afflalo - Improving each game, can be a real offensive threat.

tyfreaks brotha
08-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Affalo, Chandler and Nene... Is this even thread worthy :confused:

LTBaByyy
08-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Yall really trippin not picking JR Smith

The dude is still soooooo young and has potential through the roof

Chandler and Affalo dont have the skills or potential as Smith has

If JR goes to a contender everyone will love him even more

RaffyBoy
08-27-2011, 03:55 AM
if J.R smarted up.. i think he could be an all star.. he can score at will.. makes impossible shots, all he needs is to improve his defense, dont take ******** shots, and mature.. he could be amazing.. but i know it wont happen

Evolution23
08-27-2011, 03:55 AM
This is a no brainer. Melo, Melo, Melo. On a serious note its Nene, Chandler, Alfolo

Sadds The Gr8
08-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Yall really trippin not picking JR Smith

The dude is still soooooo young and has potential through the roof

Chandler and Affalo dont have the skills or potential as Smith has

If JR goes to a contender everyone will love him even more

he's 26...

Swashcuff
08-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I have a question for all. At what age does potential stop? Meaning at what age do we generally stop saying this player has all this potential and start taking him for what he is.

I mean we have seen late bloomers in the case of a player like Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Gerald Wallace, Detlef Schrempf, Sam Cassell, Steve Nash etc generally speaking however by age 26 a player has really shown that his room for growth in terms of production really isn't that much anymore.

As for the question I'll go Afflalo, Nene and Chandler.

LionsFan..LOL
08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Afflalo, Chandler, and Nene for me

KnicksorBust
08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Afflalo, Nene, and... stop there. Nene fills a hole and Afflalo is the best of the wing options. Re-signing Chandler/JR Smith will lock you into 3 long-term contracts that will prevent you from going after a more impact player. Both of those guys are #4 options and not worth $35-$40 million dollar deals that they will likely be after. Hi Al Harrington.

THE GIPPER
08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
afflalo, nene and jr. i left chandler out because we already have gallo/jordan hamilton at sf and chandler is too good to be a backup imo i dont see him signing if that will be his role

sg: afflalo-JR
sf: gallo-hamilton

looks pretty good at wing to me

Sportfan
08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
nene chandler Jr

Kakaroach
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, like most people said its easily Chandler, Afflalo, and Nene. JR Smith is such a headcase I'm not sure who wants him and Martin is long past his prime for a rebuilding team.

LTBaByyy
08-27-2011, 02:36 PM
If JR Smith goes to the Bulls, Yall will see why I have a lot of love for him

The dude is only 25, turns 26 in a couple weeks (not even in his prime yet)

If he has a coach like Thibs, omg the dude will be a beast!!!

KnicksR4Real
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
chandler, afflalo and nene. why is this even a thread?

SteBO
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll go Afflalo, Nene, and Chandler, Nene being the absolute must in my opinion. JR is athletic and still has time to go the Zach Randolph route and be a really, really good player 9-10 years in his NBA career, but I wouldn't bank on that if I'm Denver.

lvlheaded
08-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I wish Chandler would come back to NY. Nuggets will undoubtedly match anything the Knicks could offer though.

The no brainer answer is Afflalo, Chandler, Nene

$GangGr33n$
08-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Chandler, Nene, and Afflalo. K-Mart is getting old and hasnt been staying healthy and JR isnt a good defender and put up to much bad shots IMO

THE GIPPER
08-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I hope you guys don't mind me posting a Nugg-o-centric thread in the main forum. Hopefully this will be of wider interest since at least some of these players may end up on the open market, and some of you probably want (or don't want) them to land on your team. Also, I'm interested to see how the PSD NBA fan base stacks these guys up. Anyhow...

If you were the Nuggets GM and you could retain only 3 of the following 5 players, who would you keep?

Arron Afflalo*
Wilson Chandler*
Kenyon Martin
Nene
J.R. Smith

*restricted

I know Nene will probably be a no-brainer for most people, but do keep in mind that the Nuggets are now at least a semi-rebuilding team and retaining him won't be cheap.

Den im interested to here who you would keep.

llemon
08-27-2011, 03:13 PM
There is something I don't like about Wilson Chandler.

I'd go with Nene and Afflalo.

JR too, if he were to sign on the cheap.

Antipod
08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Nene/WC/Arron ... easy !

Ebbs
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
JR and Aflalo was the only thing worth thinking about

beasted86
08-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Nene - $11M
Affallo - $5M
Kmart - $2M

Not necessary to tie themselves down with Chandler's asking price which should be somewhere around $7-8M under the old system (maybe CBA is revamped and his value is less). Athletic wing scorers with mediocre outside shooting and defense are a dime a dozen in college. Rather let him go now, and re-sign Gallinari next summer than the other way around (Sign Wilson, let Gallo walk).... as I hope we can all agree, no need to have Affallo, Gallinari, and Chandler all on the team eating up $5M+.

tp13baby
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
If JR Smith goes to the Bulls, Yall will see why I have a lot of love for him

The dude is only 25, turns 26 in a couple weeks (not even in his prime yet)

If he has a coach like Thibs, omg the dude will be a beast!!!

You're trippin. He has had so many chances in his 6 years and he still hasn't figured it out. anyone who doesn't have afflalo has no clue about his skill set or leadership.

MrfadeawayJB
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I went Afflalo, Nene, and Chandler. I think its a good balance of offense and defense there. Afflalo is a premier outside shooter/defender, Nene is a solid C, and Chandler is a good option at SF. I'm assuming Gallo is still under contract next year, so maybe he can play the 3 and be a stretch 4 since K-mart is most likely out of the equation.

For those talking about Smith's potential, enough already. Does he have the skill set to be special, yes. But this guy lacks the mental capacity and maturity to ever be more than a awesome 6th man or solid starter. He will never be a star. He is only 25 but after 7 years in the league, i just dont see him ever becoming a star

Bruno
08-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Nene-Chandler-and A.A.

Martin is too old, and too paid, J.R. Smith is extremely talented buy undisciplined and unable to maximize his talents in Karls system.

LTBaByyy
08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Why would yall go with Chandler????

They have Jordan Hamilton from Texas to back up Gallo

LTBaByyy
08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Kenyon Martin please come home to the Mavs!!!!!! You are from Dallas and we need a good back up PF since Bass left a couple years ago

Cardinal is decent but not as a back up PF for a championship team

Astronaut
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Affalo, Nene', Chandler.

All have extremely bright futures.
J.R. may be fun to watch but is a cancer, Kenyon is getting old.

Gary Reasons
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
this is not a question

THE WALL
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Kenyon Martin please come home to the Mavs!!!!!! You are from Dallas and we need a good back up PF since Bass left a couple years ago

Cardinal is decent but not as a back up PF for a championship team

yeah...Kenyon Martin and Marc Cuban are best friends ;)

btw
Afflalo
Chandler
Nene

BranWingss
08-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm going to go outside of the box here, and go with JR, Nene, and Chandler.

GoPacers33
08-27-2011, 07:35 PM
nene, jr, chamdler

THE GIPPER
08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
btw
Afflalo
Chandler
Nene

yeah lol that would be ironic

jimbobjarree
08-27-2011, 09:44 PM
drop the 2 nutcases, simple

LTBaByyy
08-27-2011, 10:40 PM

btw
Afflalo
Chandler
Nene

Cuban matures bc he won a championship
Martin matures bc he wants a championship and wants to come home

Just dreaming about it :)

LosDoyers1
08-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Nene, Afflalo and Chandler. Martin's career is done with all the injuries he's had. I'd love to keep Smith, but I'm going safe with Afflalo. I'll take his defense and capable outside shooting over a streaky Smith.

llemon
08-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Nene, Afflalo and Chandler. Martin's career is done with all the injuries he's had. I'd love to keep Smith, but I'm going safe with Afflalo. I'll take his defense and capable outside shooting over a streaky Smith.

And how much are you willing to pay Wilson?

LosDoyers1
08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
And how much are you willing to pay Wilson?

I know he'd be asking for a lot, but so would Smith. You try to retain your best guys at all costs. If I'm the Nuggets GM, then I try to retain those three guys. If not, then I'll try to get some more pieces back.

LTBaByyy
08-28-2011, 02:39 AM
I guess all of yall think Jordan Hamilton is going to be sorry and a 3rd string SF behind Gallo and Chandler

Jordan Hamilton is going to be a good back up SF to Gallo

Why pay alot for Chandler when you can go use that on a Starting PF!!!! Bc Martin is old now let him go, and Faried is an energy guy that you need off the bench

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-28-2011, 03:47 AM
AA-I'm not exagerating when I say this... I've never seen AA miss a jumpshot, when catching a kick out pass. This dude can play defense on the perimeter and hold his own against any 2 guard in the League. And he's also got a work ethic, and is always trying to get better. AA is definetly another underrated player.

JR-Dude has the potential to be a top 10 player if wanted to be, he has the frame, size, speed, strength, and athletisism to not only dominate on offense, but also on defense. He just needs a coach that will keep in focus. If JR Smith had Aaron Afflalo's work ethic, he'd be top 3 @ his position.

Nene- Thought labled soft sometimes, Nene is a beast, rebounds, finishes strong (sometimes) I would choose him over alot of C's in this League. Easily one of the most underrated players in the League.
--------------------
Kenyon Martin from NJ will never be back, the Kenyons attitude, fearlessness and cockiness is what every team in the League would love to have, after all the surgeries, and even being in his 30's, K can still hoop, a beast on D and the glass, and though his often bad/wild shot selection is something I don't like, I love his tenacity, and intensity, and toughness he brings to a team.

DenButsu
08-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Cuban matures bc he won a championship
Martin matures bc he wants a championship and wants to come home

Just dreaming about it :)
I think Dallas is one of Kenyon's most likely destinations. He's from there and already tweeted asking his fans how hed look in their uniform. Cuban won't let personal issues interfere if he thinks Martin can help them win. They'll both bury the hatchet for chips. Kmart to the Mavs could easily happen.

todu82
08-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Nene, Chandler, Smith

JEDean89
08-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I would just keep afflalo and nene and spend the rest of the money on marc gasol or tyson chandler. pull nene down to the 4 and have a monster front court with gasol nene and gallo. If JR has not reached his potential in his 8th nba season then i don't know why we think he has soo much untapped potential. he is a liability on both ends of the floor and the locker room. he is selfish and makes stupid comments about his team at the worst times.

Gasol/Mozgov/Birdman/Koufos
Nene/Harrington/Faried
Gallo/Hamilton/Forbes
Afflalo/Hamilton/Forbes
Lawson/Miller

My biggest problem for paying for Wilson Chandler is that we'll have to overpay for him and we could spend the money on size. Also he would guarantee that hamilton wont see playing time anytime soon. I would then trade koufos or birdman or harrington for a cheap young 3rd option pg. A lot of people say Nene is gone but he will stay since a post new cba world will let him make much more money here. Gasol will be heavily sought by a host of teams but the Nuggs really have much more cap then anyone else. If nene does leave then a david west marc gasol fa offseason would actually be better.

THE GIPPER
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I would just keep afflalo and nene and spend the rest of the money on marc gasol or tyson chandler. pull nene down to the 4 and have a monster front court with gasol nene and gallo. If JR has not reached his potential in his 8th nba season then i don't know why we think he has soo much untapped potential. he is a liability on both ends of the floor and the locker room. he is selfish and makes stupid comments about his team at the worst times.

Gasol/Mozgov/Birdman/Koufos
Nene/Harrington/Faried
Gallo/Hamilton/Forbes
Afflalo/Hamilton/Forbes
Lawson/Miller

My biggest problem for paying for Wilson Chandler is that we'll have to overpay for him and we could spend the money on size. Also he would guarantee that hamilton wont see playing time anytime soon. I would then trade koufos or birdman or harrington for a cheap young 3rd option pg. A lot of people say Nene is gone but he will stay since a post new cba world will let him make much more money here. Gasol will be heavily sought by a host of teams but the Nuggs really have much more cap then anyone else. If nene does leave then a david west marc gasol fa offseason would actually be better.

yeah i like this but i'd rather have nene than david west

imagesrdecievin
08-29-2011, 03:22 AM
I voted Nene, Chandler and Afflalo.

I'd rather have JR than Wilson - but the problems between him and Karl seem to be too great and it doesn't seem like Karl is going anywhere.

GunFactor187
08-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Nene, Chandler and Afflalo.

But question, wasn't Chandler already extended?

DenButsu
08-29-2011, 06:18 AM
But question, wasn't Chandler already extended?

Nope, whenever the lockout ends and free agency begins he'll be restricted (assuming under the new CBA that teams keeps their restricted FAs under the same or similar conditions, which is a near certainty).

Cool007
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Afflalo, Chandler, Nene

This.

It shouldn't even be a question (unless 1 of them or all of them were asking way too much money than the other).

LTBaByyy
08-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Yall are slippin on Jordan Hamilton

They dont need Chandler

bigmac8675
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Afflalo is the easiest one for me... then next would be Nene. After that I think its a coin flip in terms of Chandler and Martin.

JR Smith has tons of potential... but also is very inconsistent. They would be okay without him.

Swashcuff
08-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Yall are slippin on Jordan Hamilton

They dont need Chandler

You do know that Wilson Chandler played 3 different positions for them last season and if given the minutes could be a top 10 (already top 15) SF in the league right?

Whether or not Jordan Hamilton is being slept on really isn't that big of a deal, thanks to Chandler's versatility on both ends of the floor he'll be a more valuable asset to the Nuggets than JR Smith who is 2 years his senior.

They don't need to put up with more years of hoping that JR lives up to his potential when he really isn't going to become much more than what he already is.

Da Knicks
08-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Went with Nene, Chandler, and Afflalo, i am just hoping Denver keeps Chandler and let Gallinari walk so he can come back to the knicks.

THE GIPPER
08-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Do you guys believe chandler will be ok with being a backup or splitting time with gallinari? I personally dont think so i mean why would he when he couldd easily start for many other teams. Also his ankle injuries concern me, which is why i went with afflalo, nene and jr.

Bravo95
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Nene should be first priority, then Afflalo, then maybe Chandler because of his versatility. Smith and Martin could go elsewhere and be good additions for contending teams.

llemon
08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Hoopshype reporting Wilson Chandler has signed a contract with a Chinese team and will not play in the NBA this coming season, if there is a season.

JasonJohnHorn
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
All I have to say is that if Martin and Smith are ignored by the Nuggets personal the way the pollsters here are ignoring them, they will be a HUGE additition to a number of title contending teams.

llemon
08-30-2011, 05:57 PM
All I have to say is that if Martin and Smith are ignored by the Nuggets personal the way the pollsters here are ignoring them, they will be a HUGE additition to a number of title contending teams.

What do you think those two could get on the open market?

IBleedPurple
08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Nene may not be an option unfortunately.

But Nene, Chandler, Afflalo

llemon
08-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Nene may not be an option unfortunately.

But Nene, Chandler, Afflalo

Chandler's gone. Try again.

DR_1
08-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Wilson, Afflalo, Nene

This

llemon
08-30-2011, 11:33 PM
This

Chandler's going to China. Try again.

DenButsu
08-31-2011, 12:34 AM
Chandler's gone. Try again.
Chandler's going to China. Try again.

Well obviously the fact he signed in China changes the nature of the original thread question, since the Nuggets will no longer have the option of signing Chandler in the 2011-12 season (if it even happens at all).

That said, it's not as if people can't still consider the question and evaluate the players. Not to mention that if 2011-12 ends up being a totally lost season, the question becomes valid again.

Stack_NJNets
08-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Nene, Wilson, and Aflfalo. You'd probably be up for about 25m for all of them.

This ish