PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom's salary would drop from $8.9 Million to $2.6 Million in owners proposal

Fresno
08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
This is just one example of what the owners proposal would do to salaries in the NBA.

As described by one such agent who was briefed about the owners' proposal and what it could mean, a player such as Lakers forward Lamar Odom would see his salary plummet from $8.9 million to $2.6 million next season in one particular doomsday scenario, according to the union officials putting on the presentation. Such stark propositions have created a climate that another agent recently deemed "odorous," with the bad blood and bitterness continuing to rise while the emotions do nothing to help with a solution.

Decertification remains an option for the players, although dissolving the union would do immense damage to both sides, and it would only extend this sluggish situation considering the league filed a litany of preemptive lawsuits in early August. The NBA's message to its players: Go ahead and decertify, but run the risk of voiding all current contracts while continuing to avoid our inevitable victory.

"[The owners] worrying who has the leverage today or momentum or how we can break the union, to me, misses the point," said New York-based agent Marc Cornstein, who is closer to the talks than most of his peers. "You have a sport that's in the healthiest place it's been in, some people would argue, ever. You have an economy and a world where there's complete turmoil and uncertainty. I think we need to start finding solutions, not leverage.

"If we miss games, it would be detrimental to the sport. ... And that doesn't mean the players should accept a horrible deal, or the owners should accept one that's prohibitive for them, but no one is going to convince me we can't find a solution and I think it's time to start doing it."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/08/22/nba.labor.talks/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

I've always been on the players side in this argument.

Now in Odom's case you're probably going to smirk and claim "Hey, $2.6 Million is a lot of money to a lot of people, that paycut is nothing". Yeah, imagine someone telling you that you have to make 65% less than what you made last year and you dont have the legal right to change jobs.

That paycut is absolutely mindblowing and he has no way to back out of his contract and seek employment elsewhere. Thats the same issue with every other NBA player too with their salary reduction. Most professionals in the workplace(Yes, I know the NBA is not comparable to a typical workplace environment) would immediately go to their union to keep such a thing from happening. They'd stop working to go on strike.

SteBO
08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
This will not happen. The owners are wasting their time. The end.

ChiSox219
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I dont understand where that figure comes from. The owners offer was $2billion, nearly what the players recieve this past season.

The problem with the owners off is that $2b is a fixed amount over 10 years when revenue will rise and players share of the pie will dip to ~40%.

Gators123
08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
vgoodwill-

Just told by someone in the know that there's no way Odom's salary drops like that in owners proposal

http://twitter.com/#!/vgoodwill/status/106483033632276480

Hellcrooner
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
2.6 million before taxes.

yeah owners do that, try to cut every nba contract in a similar proportion

then cry when ALL of the players fill lawsuits against you and go and sign in europe.

because that 2,6 before taxes million dollars can be payed and surpassed by tenths of teams here.

beasted86
08-26-2011, 11:40 AM

^Yup.

And be assured it's not all owners with this line of thinking. The big bosses who were already making profits will eventually make their presence felt, and small market owners will have to come up with a more reasonable negotiating approach.

PrettyBoyJ
08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I guarantee you the players will have to compromise with the owners.. The Owners look like they prepared to lose an enitre season.. some players cant afford that sure there's overseas options but do you think players who are not in that top tier group will get the money they're looking for.. Once Nov. comes a long and the checks don't start coming then players will be in panic mode and settle.

I think the NBA Message just reiterates their stance. "Go ahead and decertify, but run the risk of voiding all current contracts while continuing to avoid our inevitable victory."

utahjazzno12fan
08-26-2011, 11:48 AM
You really believe that Odom's salary would drop as the union states? That my friend is called propaganda. Why would it drop to that number? Both sides do this.

My thing is the teams should honor their current contracts but the owners need to put cap on the spending if they feel they need to. Players can change jobs if they want. They can go overseas or whatever.

beasted86
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I guarantee you the players will have to compromise with the owners.. The Owners look like they prepared to lose an enitre season.. some players cant afford that sure there's overseas options but do you think players who are not in that top tier group will get the money they're looking for.. Once Nov. comes a long and the checks don't start coming then players will be in panic mode and settle.

I think the NBA Message just reiterates their stance. "Go ahead and decertify, but run the risk of voiding all current contracts while continuing to avoid our inevitable victory."

Just as the players need to compromise, so do the owners. Both sides will have to compromise. The players aren't going to buy into a bad deal, especially not a 10 year long bad deal. As many articles as there have been about the owners being prepared for the long haul, and standing unified, there have been just as many about the players the same with saving their money, and being unified in not getting screwed over. It's all posturing.

Right now (from what's being reported) the owners' proposal is ridiculous to say the least though.

29$JerZ
08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Even if that is not the exact number Odom's contract would fall to its very alarming to see the percentage area you would assume every player would lose.

I don't even think that cut includes taxes which means he'd make even less.
Doubt this ever gets passed though, too ridicolous

mrblisterdundee
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
The adjustment of $300 million in revenue would not drop Odom's contract that much. He's blowing smoke up the ***** of gullible people. Both sides are important, so they should minus the operating costs and divide everything else in half.

Rocketsfan85
08-26-2011, 11:58 AM
He might wanna start filming a few more episodes of him and his wifes show lol...

PrettyBoyJ
08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Just as the players need to compromise, so do the owners. Both sides will have to compromise. The players aren't going to buy into a bad deal, especially not a 10 year long bad deal. As many articles as there have been about the owners being prepared for the long haul, and standing unified, there have been just as many about the players the same with saving their money, and being unified in not getting screwed over. It's all posturing.

Right now (from what's being reported) the owners' proposal is ridiculous to say the least though.

You right both sides do need to compromise but don't forget this is what the players do for a living for the owners this just another piece in their portfolio. If they're losing as much money as they say they are then I think its going to be long lockout.. They need to find some kind of middle ground.. And some players wont be saving with some of the lifestyles they live its hard to see them saving money and keeping their finance in order..

Tmath
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Either cut salary and expand or keep as is and contract.

beasted86
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
You right both sides do need to compromise but don't forget this is what the players do for a living for the owners this just another piece in their portfolio. If they're losing as much money as they say they are then I think its going to be long lockout.. They need to find some kind of middle ground.. And some players wont be saving with some of the lifestyles they live its hard to see them saving money and keeping their finance in order..

That's the key right there. Different owners are losing different amounts, while some are already making profits.

As the article alludes to, eventually there will be a divide amongst the owners where the majority agrees on certain concessions, and the extremists like Dan Gilbert get shut out and have no say. But it's going to be a while before negotiating reaches a point where that 'majority' can agree on anything.

MrfadeawayJB
08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
this is just a bargaining technique used by the owners. The player and owners will have to meet in the middle in order for the lockout to end. The $8.9 mil to $2.6 mil is a huge drop. It makes me wonder if $2.6 mil is enough to feed khloe

KnicksR4Real
08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
ouch

Tmath
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
this is just a bargaining technique used by the owners. The player and owners will have to meet in the middle in order for the lockout to end. The $8.9 mil to $2.6 mil is a huge drop. It makes me wonder if $2.6 mil is enough to feed khloe

loooool

theheatles
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
it's just owners starting low so players can meet them somewhere in the middle

Fresno
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I dont see them meeting 1/2 way.

The owners are going to have to fall apart before anything gets done.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Odom married a kardashian. I'm sure he will be just fine.

mttwlsn16
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
good. theyre all wicked overpaid anyways

asandhu23
08-26-2011, 02:24 PM
BUUUUUULLLLLSHIIIIT. Kim Kardashian and her sister won't allow this to happen.

mttwlsn16
08-26-2011, 02:26 PM
It makes me wonder if $2.6 mil is enough to feed khloe

hahahahaha :laugh2:

Tom Stone
08-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I've always been on the players side in this argument.

Now in Odom's case you're probably going to smirk and claim "Hey, $2.6 Million is a lot of money to a lot of people, that pay cut is nothing". Yeah, imagine someone telling you that you have to make 65% less than what you made last year and you don't have the legal right to change jobs.

That pay cut is absolutely mind blowing and he has no way to back out of his contract and seek employment elsewhere. Thats the same issue with every other NBA player too with their salary reduction. Most professionals in the workplace(Yes, I know the NBA is not comparable to a typical workplace environment) would immediately go to their union to keep such a thing from happening. They'd stop working to go on strike.[/QUOTE]

First off I guy like Odom, would finish out his contract as owed....and then if he wanted to play for the stacked Lakers.....He would then have to take the pay cut, or play for another team for more money.....Witch is what would probably happen .....The only thing that is mind blowing is how much they players got paid up to now.....And just so you all understand... 1 million dollars in the bank..... gives you 100 000 interest each year to live off of....without touching the 1 million.....Alot of you guys need a taste of realaity.....

Tony_Starks
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
People think the owners can just skip the season and save money and wait but they put it out there the other day that if they lose a season the owners lose over $1 Billion in ticket sales so don't believe all the hype......

knicks_champ
08-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Go owners!

JordansBulls
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Yeah that is a huge drop off. He essentially loses 3.5 times his salary.

JEDean89
08-26-2011, 04:39 PM
if odom's contract went from 8.9 to 2.6 then amare's and melo's would got from 20 to like 6 or 7 million. This is bull crap, they are not dropping everyones salary to 1/3 of its current amount. I would love to see the numbers and the source who managed to put numbers together to say that. players are not very bright as we have seen. Patrick Ewings "We get paid a lot but spend a lot" and Tollivers "If the nba teams are losing money then why are people buying the teams" just prove that these guys have never once had to think financially like a normal human being. No one buys stock when it is at the top, you buy when it is doing bad so you can make a profit of it going up. People are getting teams for a great price right now and post cba the small market teams will be worth more so the people buying teams right now are going to do well.

Fresno
08-26-2011, 05:18 PM
good. theyre all wicked overpaid anyways

That happens when there are only 13 players on a team and the difference between winning and losing falls upon the additon/subtraction of 1 player.

So thats why these guys are paid so well. Their endorsments are so big too because of the money NIKE/Adidas/Reebok and now Under Armour make on basketball shoes.

These guys deserved to be paid highly. However, everyone always points to the few players or so who got paid far too much as Free Agents

C-Style
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
2011 NBPA Annual Summer Meeting - NYC

Nearly 100 NBA players, including Paul Pierce, Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett and Blake Griffin, gathered in New York City in late June for the anticipated NBPA Annual Summer Meeting. Under the direction of NBPA Executive Director Billy Hunter and Union President Derek Fisher, this meeting was particularly meaningful as the hot topic was the potential owner-imposed NBA lockout. From the All-Stars to the last man on the bench, NBA players stand united. Check out the photos:

http://www.nbpa.org/galleries/2011-n...er-meeting-nyc

------------

Owners Shut It Down

NBA owners, looking to make Draconian cuts to players’ salaries and benefits, today locked out the league’s 450 players after their collective bargaining agreement expired at 12:01 a.m.

The owners last shut down the league 13 years ago.

“While today's decision by the owners to lock out the players is unfortunate, our players will continue to stay focused on a fair outcome,” said Derek Fisher, President of the NBA Players Association (NBPA). “We will continue to negotiate and work towards a resolution that will bring the fans the game they love so much."

Players and owners met earlier today to engage once again in negotiations and work towards a new collective bargaining agreement. However, with owners unwilling to budge throughout the 18 months of talks, little progress was made.

The players had agreed to reduce their salaries by half a billion dollars over five years, but their offer was rejected by the owners, who called it “modest.” The owners’ proposal would result in a transfer of over $8 billion dollars from the players to the owners when compared to the current system.

“My level of disappointment is for our fans and people who follow our game. Although they’re not going to miss any games at this point, they just don’t like the prospect of a lockout. We don’t like it either. But the owners feel like it is the best way for them to get what they want. We don’t agree. We’re still going to continue to negotiate in the midst of this lockout," added Billy Hunter, Executive Director of the NBPA.

Throughout the bargaining process, the owners failed to reasonably compromise or significantly soften their extreme position, making it difficult for the players to work with them to reach a new agreement. The owners’ steadfast insistence on producing millions of dollars in profits for all 30 teams has made it difficult for the parties to bridge the large economic gap.

The NBA last year grossed the highest revenue number in its history, with record increases in television ratings, attendance and merchandise sales. Despite their insistence that payroll disparities must be addressed by the players, the owners thus far have not put forth any details of an enhanced revenue sharing plan.

This is the NBA’s first lockout since the 1998-99 season. That lockout lasted 204 days, caused the cancellation of 464 games, and reduced the season to just 50 games in length. In an effort to try to avoid the cancellation of the upcoming season, the NBPA is committed to continue negotiations until a fair deal can be reached for both sides.

Punk
08-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I'd honestly say if they wanted to bring the salaries down from like 10 million to 7 million. A 3 or 4 decrease isn't bad but 2 million? How the hell is he supposed to maintain things that he has or business, family needs?

Sure, he has a ton of money but if these guys are building a business and depends on that salary. It's a total slap in the face. I do not want owners deciding what players should get. Let them deal with the players personally with that.

I hope this lockout ends because the owners are just pissing me off when there is such a great potential to a season coming up.

The Final Boss
08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Its gonna happen one way or another.