PDA

View Full Version : Which trio would you build around?

Clippersfan86
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka

Or

Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan

Or

Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol

????

All 3 trios are extremely talented and balanced. Only one lacking a clear cut franchise player is Memphis but they make up for it with great balance and depth. Clippers and Thunder have a formula of franchise player, elite 2nd option and a defensive anchor. Memphis has an elite frontcourt with great offense and defense thanks to having the most size and toughness of this bunch.

Gators123
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
1. Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka

2. Griffin, Gordon, Jordan

3. Randolph, Gay, Gasol

Tony_Starks
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Im rolling with Blake, Gordon, and Jordan. I think Gordon is about to take it to elite level plus Blake is already a beast and Jordan knows how to play his part. Very nice combo...

Swashcuff
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
The most successful of the 3 with the least amount of health issues.

The OKC Thunder trio.

Ebbs
08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
OKC in a relatively easy decision. LAC second and Grizz third.

Wilson
08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Im rolling with Blake, Gordon, and Jordan. I think Gordon is about to take it to elite level plus Blake is already a beast and Jordan knows how to play his part. Very nice combo...

I agree with this. As good as Durant and Westbrook are, it's much easier to build around a big/small combo.

Ibaka and Jordan offset in my opinion. They're both very talented but I see them more as role players than guys you can build around.

EDIT: I've added a poll to this.

Clippersfan86
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree with this. As good as Durant and Westbrook are, it's much easier to build around a big/small combo.

Ibaka and Jordan offset in my opinion. They're both very talented but I see them more as role players than guys you can build around.

EDIT: I've added a poll to this.

Thanks for poll. I think Ibaka and Jordan are going to be great defensive anchors for years to come.

Slimsim
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Griffin and crew

Clippersfan86
08-22-2011, 10:19 PM
The most successful of the 3 with the least amount of health issues.

The OKC Thunder trio.

I agree 100 percent that OKC is the safe, logical bet. Least health problems, most success so far and the youngest by a tiny margin over the Clippers. I think one thing to be considered though is balance among the trio and chemistry. Clippers have the best inside/out combo which is a big deal. I don't know 2 wing players that have led teams to championships besides Jordan/Pippen really.

The holy grail is a dominant big and small. Durant plays more like Dirk... so he's not making a difference in the paint. I think Memphis has the best chemistry and offense/defense balance of this bunch. So while I agree OKC is the safest bet... it may be worth taking a risk on the other 2 trios and I feel it's not a lopsided comparison.

Khalifa21
08-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm going with Blake, Gordon, DeAndre... I just think they compliment each other better than the others.

naps
08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
OKC as of now. I am gonna have to see if Blake Griffin can stay healthy for more than just one season. Plus Eric Gordon I think is ready to take the next level. If these two things go as I expect next year I'll choose BG-EG-DJ combo.

Swashcuff
08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I agree 100 percent that OKC is the safe, logical bet. Least health problems, most success so far and the youngest by a tiny margin over the Clippers. I think one thing to be considered though is balance among the trio and chemistry. Clippers have the best inside/out combo which is a big deal. I don't know 2 wing players that have led teams to championships besides Jordan/Pippen really.

The holy grail is a dominant big and small. Durant plays more like Dirk... so he's not making a difference in the paint. I think Memphis has the best chemistry and offense/defense balance of this bunch. So while I agree OKC is the safest bet... it may be worth taking a risk on the other 2 trios and I feel it's not a lopsided comparison.

I hear your reasoning and usually I lean the way of the bigs as well. However in this scenario the combined talent and overall upside of the Thunder trio is something that shouldn't be forgotten.

As far as #1s go. Going foward 3-5 years you can't go wrong with Griffin or Durant, personally I would probably take Griffin ahead of during for that very span giving his potential and the fact that he plays the C. Zach has the biggest issues of all these players and is not a legit #1 option IMO.

As for #2. Westbrook IMO is the best player of the lot and is going to continue to grow and continue to be the best down the road. I really don't see Rudy or Gordon surpassing him. I'm really high on Gordon and I'm of the opinion that as soon as next season he can take the leap to becoming the hands down 3rd best SG in the league, but he's still a health concern in my eyes. As for Gay his Grizzlies played better (in terms of winning % and overall point differential) when he went down during the course of the season.

As for the #3s. Marc Gasol IMO is the best of the bunch with the most upside but his #1 and #2 aren't of the same quality of the Clips and Thunder. I'm really high on Ibaka and I think aside from Bogut he's the only player in the league who could realistically give Dwight Howard a run for his money for the DPOY award in the not too distant future. If you ask me he's better defensively than any other player here including Jordan. Jordan while has a ton of upside was the least consistent of the bunch and I'd still like to see how he performs next season before I can put him ahead of Serge or Marc.

All and all I think the Grizz actually will be the team that will have the most chemistry issues. Randolph is still a black hole.

#1 options of the respective teams and how they pass the ball per touch

Player Pos MPG T/Min %Pass %Shoot %Fouled %TO
Zach Randolph PF 36.3 0.89 30.4% 50.0% 13.6% 6.0%
Kevin Durant SF 38.9 1.16 35.2% 43.7% 14.4% 6.7%
Blake Griffin PF 38.0 1.25 43.4% 36.0% 14.8% 5.8%

No surprise that Blake passes the ball the most seeing that he's already one of the best play makers at his

Think of something. You said that the Thunder trio has the most chemistry issues, they have already had major success in the league and weren't very far away from a shot at the finals, well imagine if they get that sorted out (all these players are willing team players who I would reckon would buy into a team philosophy and work on their chemistry) down the road. They'd be unstoppable.

I however don't agree, I think the Grizz trio are the ones with the most chemistry issues and the Clippers trio have the most health concerns.

As much as I like to go with the Bigs their are too many concerns over the LAC and MEM trios for me to go against the already proven worth of the OKC trio.

Avenged
08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Banking on Griffin's potential, I'll go with the Clips.

I'm also very high on Gordon, so..

Chacarron
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Give me the Clippers.

dev0
08-22-2011, 11:13 PM
no votes for Zach, Marc and Rudy? Not mine, I say the OKC kids

Clippersfan86
08-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I hear your reasoning and usually I lean the way of the bigs as well. However in this scenario the combined talent and overall upside of the Thunder trio is something that shouldn't be forgotten.

As far as #1s go. Going foward 3-5 years you can't go wrong with Griffin or Durant, personally I would probably take Griffin ahead of during for that very span giving his potential and the fact that he plays the C. Zach has the biggest issues of all these players and is not a legit #1 option IMO.

As for #2. Westbrook IMO is the best player of the lot and is going to continue to grow and continue to be the best down the road. I really don't see Rudy or Gordon surpassing him. I'm really high on Gordon and I'm of the opinion that as soon as next season he can take the leap to becoming the hands down 3rd best SG in the league, but he's still a health concern in my eyes. As for Gay his Grizzlies played better (in terms of winning % and overall point differential) when he went down during the course of the season.

As for the #3s. Marc Gasol IMO is the best of the bunch with the most upside but his #1 and #2 aren't of the same quality of the Clips and Thunder. I'm really high on Ibaka and I think aside from Bogut he's the only player in the league who could realistically give Dwight Howard a run for his money for the DPOY award in the not too distant future. If you ask me he's better defensively than any other player here including Jordan. Jordan while has a ton of upside was the least consistent of the bunch and I'd still like to see how he performs next season before I can put him ahead of Serge or Marc.

All and all I think the Grizz actually will be the team that will have the most chemistry issues. Randolph is still a black hole.

#1 options of the respective teams and how they pass the ball per touch

Player Pos MPG T/Min %Pass %Shoot %Fouled %TO
Zach Randolph PF 36.3 0.89 30.4% 50.0% 13.6% 6.0%
Kevin Durant SF 38.9 1.16 35.2% 43.7% 14.4% 6.7%
Blake Griffin PF 38.0 1.25 43.4% 36.0% 14.8% 5.8%

No surprise that Blake passes the ball the most seeing that he's already one of the best play makers at his

Think of something. You said that the Thunder trio has the most chemistry issues, they have already had major success in the league and weren't very far away from a shot at the finals, well imagine if they get that sorted out (all these players are willing team players who I would reckon would buy into a team philosophy and work on their chemistry) down the road. They'd be unstoppable.

I however don't agree, I think the Grizz trio are the ones with the most chemistry issues and the Clippers trio have the most health concerns.

As much as I like to go with the Bigs their are too many concerns over the LAC and MEM trios for me to go against the already proven worth of the OKC trio.

Very good post as usual Swash. Not that I fully agree as to certain things like who has more chemistry etc but when I think about which trio I take... for me chemistry on the court is huge. That means clearly established roles and personalities. OKC showed last season especially in the playoffs that their roles aren't defined. Eric Gordon had absolutely 0 problem deferring to Blake and letting him shine. Mainly because as it is Eric Gordon likes being in the shadows. The perfect 2nd option. The big question mark for me is whether or not Westbrook will be willing to accept the fact that Durant is THE franchise player and should have the ball in his hands in the clutch.

Westbrook has something troubling when you look at the following advanced stat. 3rd highest usage rate in the entire NBA while Durant is 7th. I think this alone proves he isn't going to take a backseat any time soon. Look at this list and you'll see almost everyone else who ranks high is the best player on their team no question.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?sort=usageRate&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fsort%3dusageRate

The only exceptions were players like Beasley, Lou Williams, Baron Davis, Mo Williams, Corey Maggette, Stephen Jackson etc. Players who think they are better than they really are and have been known throughout their careers as ego players or shot jackers.

Swashcuff
08-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Very good post as usual Swash. Not that I fully agree as to certain things like who has more chemistry etc but when I think about which trio I take... for me chemistry on the court is huge. That means clearly established roles and personalities. OKC showed last season especially in the playoffs that their roles aren't defined. Eric Gordon had absolutely 0 problem deferring to Blake and letting him shine. Mainly because as it is Eric Gordon likes being in the shadows. The perfect 2nd option. The big question mark for me is whether or not Westbrook will be willing to accept the fact that Durant is THE franchise player and should have the ball in his hands in the clutch.

Westbrook has something troubling when you look at the following advanced stat. 3rd highest usage rate in the entire NBA while Durant is 7th. I think this alone proves he isn't going to take a backseat any time soon. Look at this list and you'll see almost everyone else who ranks high is the best player on their team no question.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?sort=usageRate&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fsort%3dusageRate

The only exceptions were players like Beasley, Lou Williams, Baron Davis, Mo Williams, Corey Maggette, Stephen Jackson etc. Players who think they are better than they really are and have been known throughout their careers as ego players or shot jackers.

Like I said I am confident that Westbrook will be able to work his issues out on the offensive end. One has to remember that though he has played the PG for his first 3 seasons in the league he came into the league as more of a 2.

IMO Westbrook was a HUGE reason why the Thunder didn't do better last postseason, I mean after all he had virtually the same amount of shot attempts as Durant as well as the same amount of TOs as assists.

I don't see Westbrook's USG% being a problem per se especially seeing that he has average efficiency for the PG.

As I said before I am confident that the Thunder duo will find a way to work their chemistry issues out and when they do I expect them to be an even better duo. Now think if they are this good now with all these issues. Imagine how good they'll be if the can find a way to iron them out and mesh together.

As for Gordon deferring to Blake and what not I could as easily counter that by saying Gordon was game in game out the clear cut best player on that team and Gordon was the complimentary #2 who really brought nothing more than scoring and good D to the table.

Westbrook is a much better overall player brought so much more to the table than Gordon did and or different periods during the season was player not only like the best player on his team but his team's leader. There were times where Durant deferred to him.

IMO once Westbrook matures as a floor general (something that at 22 years old he's just now learning to become especially seeing that he's a natural 2) we'll see clear cut defined roles for him and KD.

Oh and as for your last statement about KD having he ball in the clutch. I'd just like to say that there really wasn't that big of a difference between them both in clutch play. I agree with you but having the ball in Westbrook's hands late is not a bad thing as he was one of the better clutch players in the league last season.

Also one last thing. With the offensive burden placed on KD and Westbrook with the mid season trade of Green for Perk I think that screwed a bit with their offensive execution and plan of attack. In the games in which Harden wasn't on his game a lot more pressure was placed on both KD and Westbrook to produce offensively. If I'm building my team I'll try to get at least one other offensive threat in the starting line-up at the 2 and 5 (maybe an Arron Afflalo/Roy Hibbert type combo) just to opposing defenses in check and on their game.

Bruno
08-22-2011, 11:46 PM
I took OKC. If we could assume the health of Gordon and Blake, it's close (in my book), edge still to OKC. Durant has the opportunity to go down as one of the elite scorers in NBA history. When games are on the line in the playoffs, you can't put a price on a guy who can get the line and hit on as high efficiency as Durant does.

Clippersfan86
08-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Swash I agree with the post besides one thing. Durant and Westbrook have been together 3 full seasons now. The situation with Gordon and Griffin's roles is a lot different because Blake was a rookie. Prior to the Eric Gordon injury... Gordon WAS better than Blake and WAS the go to player. That was due to Griffin figuring things out and not wanting to step on toes. Eric Gordon was happy to let Blake be the man though once he emerged as a dominant force. After Blake took over the team and called a players only meeting it was clear who was in charge.

By season end it was clear to both players that Blake was Batman, Eric Gordon was Robin and they played exactly like it the second half of the season. Eric Gordon's numbers dropped, Blake's rose. I personally feel the Thunder have a GREAT duo I just wanted to mention that the Clippers no doubt work a better two man game if we are talking about how they mesh and balance out. When Gordon was healthy and Blake was dominating it was a beautiful thing to see. In January Blake put up something absurd like 26 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 apg and Eric Gordon was putting up over 24 ppg, 3 rpg and 4.5 apg. Doesn't get much better than that if they can sustain that level of play over a full season and stay healthy.

Another thing to be noted here when talking about potential of these trios. The Clippers were the 2nd ranked overall defense after Miami from late December to late January led by Gordon and DJ. If this young core meshes they are going to be a scary team on both ends of the floor but especially defensively.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2011, 12:01 AM
no votes for Zach, Marc and Rudy? Not mine, I say the OKC kids

Im surprised at that to. Next to the Clippers 3 that would've been my vote. It may very well be the best starting front court in basketball depending on how Rudy fits back in. Pretty rare to have a 3,4,5, combination with that much talent.

With OKC what messes it up for me is Westbrooks immaturity. He gets a pass for last year because that was really his breakout season and first time making a serious playoff run but he potentially could turn into a problem....

THE GIPPER
08-23-2011, 12:01 AM
griffins crew for me simply because bigs are so tough to come by

Swashcuff
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Swash I agree with the post besides one thing. Durant and Westbrook have been together 3 full seasons now. The situation with Gordon and Griffin's roles is a lot different because Blake was a rookie. Prior to the Eric Gordon injury... Gordon WAS better than Blake and WAS the go to player. That was due to Griffin figuring things out and not wanting to step on toes. Eric Gordon was happy to let Blake be the man though once he emerged as a dominant force. After Blake took over the team and called a players only meeting it was clear who was in charge.

By season end it was clear to both players that Blake was Batman, Eric Gordon was Robin and they played exactly like it the second half of the season. Eric Gordon's numbers dropped, Blake's rose. I personally feel the Thunder have a GREAT duo I just wanted to mention that the Clippers no doubt work a better two man game if we are talking about how they mesh and balance out. When Gordon was healthy and Blake was dominating it was a beautiful thing to see. In January Blake put up something absurd like 26 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 apg and Eric Gordon was putting up over 24 ppg, 3 rpg and 4.5 apg. Doesn't get much better than that if they can sustain that level of play over a full season and stay healthy.

Another thing to be noted here when talking about potential of these trios. The Clippers were the 2nd ranked overall defense after Miami from late December to late January led by Gordon and DJ. If this young core meshes they are going to be a scary team on both ends of the floor but especially defensively.

Could you link me to this information because everything I have seen shows that they aren't even top 10 during that span. I don't follow the Clips as much as you but I certainly don't remember that span.

What I do know is that Gordon's November and January #s are actually better than you said his January #s were.

However you are asking me for down the road.

IMO everything I based my reasoning on I am right on. I can't be wrong for choosing the best, most healthy players with the most seasoning and success.

As I said before and I'll say again I see the Thunder being able to work out their chemistry issues. These are two young players who are growing and learning to play the NBA brand of basketball together. Add the one player in the league who I think potential defensive impact will eventually rival that of Dwight's and I have no gripe.

Lastly I'll say something to all those who think the PF/C is the route to go. While I generally agree I remind you guys of the Boston Celtics. If I am able to build my team in the mold of the Boston Celtics of 07-08 I think my team will be just as good as a team with prime Blake/Jordan.

Clippersfan86
08-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Could you link me to this information because everything I have seen shows that they aren't even top 10 during that span. I don't follow the Clips as much as you but I certainly don't remember that span.

What I do know is that Gordon's November and January #s are actually better than you said his January #s were.

However you are asking me for down the road.

IMO everything I based my reasoning on I am right on. I can't be wrong for choosing the best, most healthy players with the most seasoning and success.

As I said before and I'll say again I see the Thunder being able to work out their chemistry issues. These are two young players who are growing and learning to play the NBA brand of basketball together. Add the one player in the league who I think potential defensive impact will eventually rival that of Dwight's and I have no gripe.

Lastly I'll say something to all those who think the PF/C is the route to go. While I generally agree I remind you guys of the Boston Celtics. If I am able to build my team in the mold of the Boston Celtics of 07-08 I think my team will be just as good as a team with prime Blake/Jordan.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to convince you that you picked the wrong trio because it wasn't what I meant to do. I was just elaborating on why I feel Westbrook may become a problem in the future and why Blake and EJ mesh well. As for me showing you a stat showing the Clippers rankings you'd have more luck because you're great at finding stats. I saw it on a Fox Sports Prime Ticket blip during a Clippers game in mid January or so. When the Heat had went on that dominant 21 wins in 22 games streak and the Clippers were the hottest team in the west.

Clippers were ranked as the 2nd overall defense, 9th overall offense in the span I mentioned but unfortunately I can't prove it to you because I can't find a website that splits by selected dates for team stats. Also Eric Gordon was averaging those numbers at that point in the season but his January numbers were around his season average so I just used those (because I memorized them, yes I'm a Clippers fanatic).

I already told you I think your answer was most logical by selecting the Thunder. They have had 0 injury problems. I believe all 3 players in that trio have played 82 games or close to every single year. The Clippers like you said are by far the most unhealthy and due to that they are a big IF. IF the Clippers are healthy they are my pick.

John Walls Era
08-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah the voting seems right. TBH I'm not a huge fan of Deandre. He has upside, but he wasn't that good last year.

Clippersfan86
08-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah the voting seems right. TBH I'm not a huge fan of Deandre. He has upside, but he wasn't that good last year.

I agree he wasn't amazing or anything but his 15+ PER and dominant defensive flashes in the first year he got good minutes was promising. He is also a legit 7 footer with the 2nd best standing reach and wingspan in the NBA after McGee. He also bulked up from 245 to 265 last offseason. As he keeps filling in and working hard I believe he will emerge as a Tyson Chandler caliber defensive anchor. Not quite as intelligent but more freaky athletically.

He had a nasty stretch where he averaged like 6 blocks a game for 5 games. Check out this statline he posted against Denver this season in one game. 14 points, 20 rebounds, 6 blocked shots, 2 steals and 2 assists. That's absolutely MONSTROUS.

Chronz
08-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Im hella biased but I like our trio best, DeAndre has the potential to become a legit defensive anchor at the 5, which means more than a defensive 4 I think. Blake and Durant are superstars but the battle between EG and WB is what decides this in OKC favor for the moment, and while I wanted Westbrook in the draft those few years back, the leap Gordon has made last year has given me confidence in him surpassing him and possibly Rose as well. The kid has tremendous defensive instincts and hes adept with and without the ball.

LakersMaster24
08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I picked the Grizzlies.

Why?

The least chemistry issues, and much easier to built around. Their frontcourt is already above average. Gay is going to be a All-Star for sure. All they need is a good SG, and they are set to become contenders.

OlivaThor
08-23-2011, 04:04 AM
EG, BG, Jordan

LosDoyers1
08-23-2011, 04:58 AM
I'm going with the Clippers trio. Gordon is very underrated as a player in the league. Jordan can dominate a game defensively. Griffin, is well, Griffin.

MTar786
08-23-2011, 05:05 AM
i honestly think OKC should maybe package ibaka and maynor for a pau gasol tpe of player.. theyd be so much better with a balance of in and out ball.

a trade like this could help them

todu82
08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka

MR.TRIPDUB
08-23-2011, 07:37 AM
I guess im at the extreme minority but i like the grizz frontcourt. They will only get better.

JordansBulls
08-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Thunder trio

Corey
08-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Okc trio by a huge margin then LAC, then memphis.