PDA

View Full Version : Should NBA Players All Get Paid The Same?

JasonJohnHorn
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
This may sounds like a crazy idea, but it may work. The average NBA salary is $5, 150, 000 a year. Why don't they just make that average standard, with a rising pay scale that starts with a lower rookie salary and then caps off at 5mil after the rookie contract expires? This would sort out all the ego that goes with getting the higher anual salary, teams would be on an even playing field (even if big markets get a slight advanatage, they will still only be able to sign so many players, and there are enough egos in the league that alpha dawgs will want their own team), and let the big names earn their extra bread through merchandise and endorsements. It may seem unfair to some, but this is how it works in the real world. You get a job at a factory, you start at the entry level wage and graduate to the top salary, and make the same as everybody else on the floor. Bonuses for wins, ect, would be cool, and if you want to throw in a little extra for a team captain or a franchise tag, you could slip it in. But this way everybody is getting an equal cut of the pie, and if owners do profit sharing, everybody will be making millions.

Thoughts?

gwrighter
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
nah, people go to stadiums to watch kobe vs lebron. they deserve a larger share of the money as they are the main marketing tools.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
No, they don't all deserve to make the same amount of money. Let's take a normal company for example. Should the CEO, who has far more responsibility, make the same as the Janitor? They both work for the same company, and their jobs both produce to the same bottom line.

Of course not. Those who produce more revenue should get paid more. That is how fair business pay works.

MiamiWadeCounty
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
:facepalm:

Hellcrooner
08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
, no.

mabe make the differences slimer but not the same.
and btw earing the same salary will lead to MORE superteams not Less superteams.

GoPacers33
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Hellz nah

gaughan333
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
What is the incentive to be better if you make less money? You know these guys aren't all playing for personal pride

Cal827
08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Hooray for Communism! lol :D

Seriously though, it wouldn't be fair to the main marketing tools... Some players would get mad knowing that they are putting up numbers that help the team win 50 games, while they see the team's designated ***-slapper earn the same amount to basically sit on the bench and preform after an opponent's time out.

gaughan333
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
You want Jordan Farmar to make the same salary as kobe? I know kobe would end up with more in the long run through endorsements and what not, but this really isn't realistic.

tredigs
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Communism is a great concept, isn't it Jason?

It does not work dude.

And obviously the NBA would never, ever entertain the idea. Rightfully so.

Seguin
08-21-2011, 05:05 PM
This would cause nearly every player to leave and go overseas... At least the guys who should be making more.

Kobe alone probably makes the Lakers franchise 50+ million a year... Why would he get paid the same as Brian Scalabrine, who sells 2 jerseys a year?

LakersA's49ers
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
hahahaha nah this way works

Lakerfan8032
08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
What an awful idea. So Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Paul, Duncan, etc. should be paid the same as some scrub on the bench who almost never plays unless there is a blowout or a rash of injuries? That is ridiculous! Better employees who bring in more money to the company earn more money.

You can argue that they are paid ridiculous amounts of money and have a point but that everyone should be paid the same is just moronic, no offense.

Now to have contracts be incentive based with a base salary would make sense to me. Bonuses to be paid for making certain milestones or for earning league awards and a higher base salary for years played I think would work (even though the players union would never go for that). Players would have to stay in shape and play hard to keep earning the maximum amount of money they could make instead of just playing hard for a year, getting that big contract and not giving a **** until the last year of that contract.

The base salary would be guaranteed but after that you would have to earn the money instead of just getting it whether it is earned or not. But everyone being paid the same sounds stupid to me. Sounds like Communism being tossed around in sports.

tredigs
08-21-2011, 05:17 PM
What an awful idea. So Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Paul, Duncan, etc. should be paid the same as some scrub on the bench who almost never plays unless there is a blowout or a rash of injuries? That is ridiculous! Better employees who bring in more money to the company earn more money.

You can argue that they are paid ridiculous amounts of money and have a point but that everyone should be paid the same is just moronic, no offense.

Now to have contracts be incentive based with a base salary would make sense to me. Bonuses to be paid for making certain milestones or for earning league awards and a higher base salary for years played I think would work (even though the players union would never go for that). Players would have to stay in shape and play hard to keep earning the maximum amount of money they could make instead of just playing hard for a year, getting that big contract and not giving a **** until the last year of that contract.

The base salary would be guaranteed but after that you would have to earn the money instead of just getting it whether it is earned or not. But everyone being paid the same sounds stupid to me. Sounds like Communism being tossed around in sports.

I realize what you're talking about is taking the current system to another level of baseline parity, but league minimums (based on years) already do exist. And plenty of players have incentive based bonuses; all depends on how they individually work their contract though. No two are the same.

But you're right, OP's idea is just not realistic, and it's also a absolutely terrible idea that would cause us to lose all our elite talent to the Euro leagues.

marvILLous
08-21-2011, 05:26 PM
lol seriously?

JasonJohnHorn
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeye15;18983329]No, they don't all deserve to make the same amount of money. Let's take a normal company for example. Should the CEO, who has far more responsibility, make the same as the Janitor? QUOTE]

I'm comparing players with players, not owners to players. At a factory the owner obviously makes more than the people on the floor, but the people on the floor have a standard wage. There are workers of varrying skills, but the great workers can't get it done without the average ones, and they are all on the same pay grade.

Lakerfan8032
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I realize what you're talking about is taking the current system to another level of baseline parity, but league minimums (based on years) already do exist. And plenty of players have incentive based bonuses; all depends on how they individually work their contract though. No two are the same.

But you're right, OP's idea is just not realistic, and it's also a absolutely terrible idea that would cause us to lose all our elite talent to the Euro leagues.

I'm referring to incentives based on points scored, rebounds, steals assists and things like that. Even making all-star teams and all NBA teams. An incentive for leading the league in scoring or assists. I know some of these are already in players contracts as bonuses but it is basically just a thought that will never happen but makes sense in my head. The elite players will still be making the most money while the lesser players will still make the least.

The point of it all is to keep players motivated to keep playing hard instead of just getting getting a big pay day and then not giving a ****. I think it would be a nice system and the teams wouldn't get as screwed with the big contracts to players who just don't do ****, like an Eddy Curry.

I also could see the point that if a team makes a bad investment they should be held accountable. There is no perfect system and there never will be but it is just an idea.

XpLiCiTT
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
nah, people go to stadiums to watch kobe vs lebron. they deserve a larger share of the money as they are the main marketing tools.

This

and...

:facepalm:

this

Bishnoff
08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Communism is a great concept, isn't it Jason?

It does not work dude.

And obviously the NBA would never, ever entertain the idea. Rightfully so.

This.

JWO35
08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Hopefully this isn't what the owners are thinking...or this is going to be a long lockout :pity:

iam brett favre
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah.
Basketball is only played in the U.S., and star players would have no choice but to play here for a low amount of money.

KnicksorBust
08-21-2011, 10:13 PM
No. The only change with the salaries that I'd like to see is the elimination of guaranteed contracts. Not many jobs allow you to sign $60 million dollar deals and then stop working hard and become a worse employee.