PDA

View Full Version : Should more leagues outlaw NBA players transferring during the lockout?

itsbeefy11
08-21-2011, 05:09 AM
With the recent news that the Chinese Basketball Association will be blocking contracted players from playing in their upcoming season, what are your opinions on the issue? Should more international leagues outlaw the contracted players from playing internationally during the break, and do you believe it is better for the game if the players that DON'T play elsewhere stay in the United States and play in tournaments and leagues similar to what we've seen recently with the Drew League...

LakersIn5
08-21-2011, 06:09 AM
no. because nba players wouldnt make money playing in the drew league or such. other leagues should just let nba players play for them and let them leave once the lockout is over. that way almost everyone is happy. the nba players are happy. the nba fans are happy once the lockout is over, the nba fans are happy during the lockout since they can still watch nba players in other leagues, fans of other leagues will be happy since they would be seing nba players play in their league.

daleja424
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Banning the NBA players in other leagues is a mistake. Letting them play is a win win win situation. The only people who lose out are NBA owners bc it gives the players some leverage.

3mikee_
08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Yea the Chinese league just had too much pride I guess... stupid pride in this case. They could've made so much money off of a player like Kobe playing in China. With the market there for basketball being so large, I can't even begin to imagine how much money they would've lost from this even if Kobe just played like a couple months. Pretty stupid.

Swallow your pride and think about the long term future of your league.

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Yea the Chinese league just had too much pride I guess... stupid pride in this case. They could've made so much money off of a player like Kobe playing in China. With the market there for basketball being so large, I can't even begin to imagine how much money they would've lost from this even if Kobe just played like a couple months. Pretty stupid.

Swallow your pride and think about the long term future of your league.

what???

they don't want rent-a-players for a few months... spend money promoting them and signing them, just to have them leave in 2 months, leaving said teams with a huge hole to fill, higher ticket prices for games, and far less appeal than when the players were there...

stupid?? okay man... i'm sure they don't know as much as you do about the effects it could have on their own league... you're right, you should be running the chinese league...

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
IMO, the teams should be implementing 'no opt-out' clauses in nba player contracts... and that's as far as it should go... if the players are serious about playing for the teams, go ahead.. but don't jerk teams around just to gain some perceived leverage... it makes their league/team a mockery of professional sports... the nba players could care less about winning in euro & chinese leagues...

LongIslandIcedZ
08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
These international teams still must make a **** ton of money even if they only have these superstars for a few months.

pviddy
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
New to this so bear with me:
top players are asking the players to stay unified. top players are the only ones that have a shot at playing anywhere they want. rest of the players don't have a shot and they are the ones that stand to lose a lot of money.

Kobe, Deron etc. wanting to play overseas is hypocritical since they don't need money. They should be doing more to break the lockout. Playing overseas is self-serving to make money or gain notoriety or to build an international brand.

Will do nothing to help the players because the lower level players will be the first to want to start playing basketball again. This is playing right into the owners hands.

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 11:46 AM
top players are asking the players to stay unified. top players are the only ones that have a shot at playing anywhere they want. rest of the players don't have a shot and they are the ones that stand to lose a lot of money.

Kobe, Deron etc. wanting to play overseas is hypocritical since they don't need money. They should be doing more to break the lockout. Playing overseas is self-serving to make money or gain notoriety or to build an international brand.

Will do nothing to help the players because the lower level players will be the first to want to start playing basketball again. This is playing right into the owners hands.

welcome.. you already know more than half of the psd posters do...

Hellcrooner
08-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Wrong.
top players are barking a ton and blah blah but only ONE of them , Deron has indeed signed a contract.
at the same time several less important players have signed contracts because teams in europe dont need to sell any cows to pay them.
Pekovic,. ty lawson, markota, farmar, ilasova, batum, acie law, vujacic, weems, andersen, m williams, krstic, etcetc

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Wrong.
top players are barking a ton and blah blah but only ONE of them , Deron has indeed signed a contract.
at the same time several less important players have signed contracts because teams in europe dont need to sell any cows to pay them.

he said top players are the only one's who can play anywhere they want... not play overseas...

yes, some players will play overseas, but the top tier players can go anywhere and find work if they want to, whereas most players will need to sell themselves to a team to get work...

sep11ie
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Why shouldn't otherleagues draw attention to themselves and players while they can. It's bad business to ban NBA players from playing there.

Hellcrooner
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
he said top players are the only one's who can play anywhere they want... not play overseas...

yes, some players will play overseas, but the top tier players can go anywhere and find work if they want to, whereas most players will need to sell themselves to a team to get work...

andim telling you all the 450 nba players can find a job somwhere, there are thousends of pro leagues out there. including usa.

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
andim telling you all the 450 nba players can find a job somwhere, there are thousends of pro leagues out there. including usa.

IMO they can't... i understand delonte is a headcase, but he's a good bball player and ... HOME DEPOT..

and at what cost would they be playing at?? are they going to be making anywhere near nba money...

the point is, if these guys are willing to play just to play, why not for the nba??... they will still be making more money there than anywhere else, even with the proposed pay-cuts... and by playing for 'pennies', they are only proving the owners point, the players will play for less money..

Hellcrooner
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
IMO they can't... i understand delonte is a headcase, but he's a good bball player and ... HOME DEPOT..

and at what cost would they be playing at?? are they going to be making anywhere near nba money...

the point is, if these guys are willing to play just to play, why not for the nba??... they will still be making more money there than anywhere else, even with the proposed pay-cuts... and by playing for 'pennies', they are only proving the owners point, the players will play for less money..

thats another thing.

For the role players it may be better to play otuside thanin nba.
they will earn the same or maybe more with less games ( thus longer careers) more free time and on better roles.

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 01:06 PM
thats another thing.

For the role players it may be better to play otuside thanin nba.
they will earn the same or maybe more with less games ( thus longer careers) more free time and on better roles.

nba role players inherently have less of a role on their nba teams... that would likely mean a longer career because their demand in the nba is less...

where do they play less games with a smaller role/wear & tear for the same/more money??

cmon man.. it's about money for both sides... and if the players make the same money sitting on an nba bench, they will...

synister281
08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
NBA players should go to the Philippines and play there... the fans would appreciate them more than anywhere!

KingPosey
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM

NO dude youre wrong. These are NBA basketballl players, they can all play where they want.

Shmontaine
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
NO dude youre wrong. These are NBA basketballl players, they can all play where they want.

Yep, you're right... they can play anywhere they want for far far less money than they could be making in the nba... congrats on being right... contextually, you're completely wrong... but who cares about that...

millerandco
08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
the only losers are the current american players in the european leagues now...since they have a limit on how many can be on a roster

Bruno
08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
No, I thought it was a poor decision by the Chinese league.

Tony_Starks
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
China is just being proud. The other leagues figured out already that no matter how long the players stay the promo, ticket sales, and buzz behind it is well worth it. Also since the owners seem committed to ditch a season unless their demands are met who's to say they won't have them the entire time anyway?

As far as the role players nobody is lined up to sign the Sasha Vujacics and Nenad Cristics of the world to big money anyway so its good business for them to go get that money, especially since they're used to playing over there anyway.....

KingPosey
08-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Yep, you're right... they can play anywhere they want for far far less money than they could be making in the nba... congrats on being right... contextually, you're completely wrong... but who cares about that...

Contextually Im Wrong? I fail to see that. NBA basketball players, are worldwide known pretty much as the best players on the planet. They are the most exciting, most fun to watch athletically, and the biggest draw any way you slice it.

When you say only the top few players in the league can pick where they would want to go outside of the USA, you are COMPLETELY incorrect, and should care about that....

Shmontaine
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Contextually Im Wrong? I fail to see that. NBA basketball players, are worldwide known pretty much as the best players on the planet. They are the most exciting, most fun to watch athletically, and the biggest draw any way you slice it.

When you say only the top few players in the league can pick where they would want to go outside of the USA, you are COMPLETELY incorrect, and should care about that....

then why aren't all these players signing with other teams??? maybe because they don't have as many options as you think...
sure, if they want to play for free, i would bet a team would take them... congrats... however, this is a labor negotiation, so by saying they can go anywhere, doesn't really matter... they make the most money in the NBA... that's the point... that's what i meant by contextually... in the context of the current CBA and the money they can make in the NBA, players can't go 'anywhere' and be comparable to the life the nba gives them... unless you think they will downgrade their lives just to prove to the owners that they can go 'anywhere'...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/08/22/nba.labor.talks/index.html#ixzz1VqteUPRn

read the article and tell me how many options these players have... please, man... you're completely wrong here...

gwrighter
08-23-2011, 11:14 AM
^ your right Shmontaine.

A lot of these international teams have a limit on the # of players they can import. The number hovers around 3 per team. Also since these teams have a shorter season than the NBA they often have 2 full-contact practices a day where as the NBA teams have 1 n just a shoot-around on game day. They often share rooms in hotels & fly coach to their away games. Far from the NBA lifestyle. & they get all of this for less money, language barriers, & new teammates.

These players are only trying to gain leverage by pretending they want to play overseas. & like you said, these other pro leagues are trying to compete with the NBA, they don't want to be a joke. I agree with what the Chinese league did. The players are trying to have their cake & eat it too.