PDA

View Full Version : Jays sign Kyle Davies

idrinkpepsi
08-20-2011, 07:52 PM
The Blue Jays have signed right-hander Kyle Davies to a minor league deal, reports Jason Martinez of MLB Depth Charts. (Twitter link) Davies became a free agent yesterday after clearing release waivers from the Royals.

In 151 career games (144 of them starts) with the Royals and Braves, Davies has a 5.59 ERA. Davies, who turns 28 next month, had a 6.75 ERA in 13 starts for Kansas City this season, though his xFIP was over two runs lower (4.43). While he posted career highs in K/BB ratio (1.92) and K/9 (7.3), Davies couldn't keep men off base, allowing an ungainly 12.3 H/9.

Davies actually earned the fourth-highest salary of any Kansas City player this season, earning $3.2MM. He was in his final season of arbitration and is eligible for free agency next year.

From MLB TR

bomber0104
08-20-2011, 07:56 PM
WOAAAA.. we got our ace

I remember when people actually thought Atlanta made a mistake by giving him to the Royals

3mikee_
08-20-2011, 07:57 PM
12.3 H/9............................. :facepalm:

King Rick
08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
12.3 H/9............................. :facepalm:

That makes Josh Towers look good

jamjar
08-20-2011, 08:21 PM
good pickup if he can somehow turn it around, doesn't hurt to try - might luck out. won't get my hopes up, though.

BeerJays
08-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Its our new Jo-Jo!!!

Bombtista
08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Would be nice to fall *** backwards into a player finding his game. He had some promise but nothing seemed to ever work out for him unfortunately.

ghost dog
08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Hiram Kyle Davies (born September 9, 1983 in Decatur, Georgia) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball. He grew up in Stockbridge, Georgia and graduated from Stockbridge High School. Davies signed right out of high school with the Atlanta Braves. Davies is credited with the dubious honor of being statistically the worst pitcher in Major League Baseball history having at least 150 career starts, with a 5.54 ERA.

wtf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Davies_(baseball)#Baseball_career

Bombtista
08-20-2011, 08:25 PM
^ lol wow, maybe we wanted to upgrade on Jojo once he finally got that win

GNick
08-20-2011, 08:39 PM
What ever happened to Shawn Hill he pitched fairly well last September?

es0terik
08-20-2011, 09:14 PM
good pickup if he can somehow turn it around, doesn't hurt to try - might luck out. won't get my hopes up, though.
Good pickup, doesn't hurt to try, maybe he can turn it around? So you're telling me this ***-hair of a team can spend 3M on the worst pitcher in history but can't give Tyler Beede another million and sign him? I'd rather pitch Matt Stairs than this guy.

lmallia
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Good pickup, doesn't hurt to try, maybe he can turn it around? So you're telling me this ***-hair of a team can spend 3M on the worst pitcher in history but can't give Tyler Beede another million and sign him? I'd rather pitch Matt Stairs than this guy.

Dude read it.. They signed him to a minimum minor league deal..

King Rick
08-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Minor league deals ain't worth 3MIL brah

Jay
08-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Its our new Jo-Jo!!!

That's what I was going to say!

Our new project retread to toy around with. :facepalm:

Farsight
08-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I have nothing wrong with this, as long as its minor league depth

Luca68
08-20-2011, 11:57 PM
the stats are just disgusting :laugh2:

es0terik
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Minor league deals ain't worth 3MIL brah

No but theyre worth around 400k for one year, and if we had added 400k onto our offer to Beede there's a very good chance he would have accepted.

TO Rapz
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Lol..

es0terik
08-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm only pointing out that when it comes to the majors, all these small, crappy, no-ceiling players can still get teams to throw away 500k-2m all the time, and yet when it comes to the draft, teams have to be so damn conservative. It makes no sense to me. You're going to talk about being aggressive, the Pirates are a team that's aggressive on the draft. The Nats are aggressive.

TO Rapz
08-21-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm only pointing out that when it comes to the majors, all these small, crappy, no-ceiling players can still get teams to throw away 500k-2m all the time, and yet when it comes to the draft, teams have to be so damn conservative. It makes no sense to me. You're going to talk about being aggressive, the Pirates are a team that's aggressive on the draft. The Nats are aggressive.

I do agree with you here. I feel that when it comes to drafting young talent, you need to do whatever it takes to lock them up. By doing this, you keep a cycle going of continued success and top notch talent.

ghost dog
08-21-2011, 01:10 AM
I do agree with you here. I feel that when it comes to drafting young talent, you need to do whatever it takes to lock them up. By doing this, you keep a cycle going of continued success and top notch talent.

I don't think overpaying a high school kid makes no matter how good, It's still only high school

PJ Awesome
08-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Welcome back John Thomson, I mean Tomo Ohka, I mean Josh Towers, I mean JoJo Reyes, I mean...**** off

Jays Claw
08-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Davies will fill the void left by Reyes, easily. Meaning, the guy better get used to our ever so famous pitcher's doghouse.

Seriously though, Davies downright sucks. His OBA (.321), xFIP (4.43), BABIP (.376), K/BB (1.92) & WHIP (1.79) are historically bad. Hopefully AA doesn't lose his mind and promote this guy just for the heck of it. And I've been saying this for a while (and I'll say it again), but why not promote Richmond? The guy has been nothing but soild down at the PCL and seems well deserving of an actual stint with the Jays. [His last "stint" was 1 game.]

ghost dog
08-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Look we have all these guy that are projected all over the rotation. Now we have a guy that can take the heat off the others mistakes, Simple send all pitcher hate to Davies everyone else gets a by

es0terik
08-21-2011, 02:29 AM
Look we have all these guy that are projected all over the rotation. Now we have a guy that can take the heat off the others mistakes, Simple send all pitcher hate to Davies everyone else gets a by

Even though you're probably joking, that's actually true. When Drabek became horrible, people started to like Cecil more. Same way when Jo-Jo continued his failure, the heat got lifted off Litsch by a massive amount.

ghost dog
08-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Even though you're probably joking, that's actually true. When Drabek became horrible, people started to like Cecil more. Same way when Jo-Jo continued his failure, the heat got lifted off Litsch by a massive amount.

No joke, Thats the way it works. Most will look at the bad and overlook the good

1hardcore
08-21-2011, 04:53 AM
You guys say he sucks ... which is true ... but think about it

He's coming from the Royals ... a ****** organization ...

An organization that has ****ed over alot of players especially Alex Gordon , Luke Hochevar and so on...

I dont mind this move at all!

BlueJayFanDan
08-21-2011, 05:14 AM
I like the move for one reason. He wore number 26 for the Braves and 26 is my favorite number!

wamco
08-21-2011, 06:01 AM
beede > davies

ILDD
08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
No joke, Thats the way it works. Most will look at the bad and overlook the good

I call it the "cream cake effect". You're on a romantic date with your girl sitting down to eat cream cakes. You have 6 but you put 1 of them a little bit away from you so all the wasps go and eat that one, leaving you to enjoy your other 5.

The wasps barely even notice the good 5 cakes because they're too bust hating on the sacrificial one.

wamco
08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

An organization that has ****ed over alot of players especially Alex Gordon , Luke Hochevar and so on...

-it's not "you guys" , it's "the guy has the worst era in the long history of baseball with his ip" as stated above. Anyone saying "i like the move" or anything to that effect instantly loses any credibility as you'd like any signing obviously then. This guys prospect hype screwed me over in fantasy baseball for waaay too many years.

ghost dog
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I call it the "cream cake effect". You're on a romantic date with your girl sitting down to eat cream cakes. You have 6 but you put 1 of them a little bit away from you so all the wasps go and eat that one, leaving you to enjoy your other 5.

The wasps barely even notice the good 5 cakes because they're too bust hating on the sacrificial one.

Well said,

Bombtista
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM

The Royals suck because they start pitchers like Kyle Davies

1hardcore
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
The Royals suck because they start pitchers like Kyle Davies

i'm sure you know the history of the Royals......

Bombtista
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
^ im sure i know more than you do, but thats not really the point is it?

1hardcore
08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
^ im sure i know more than you do, but thats not really the point is it?

Really eh ???

Bombtista
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Really eh ???

Are you actually arguing with me that Kyle Davies was anything more than a minor league filler with maybe a long shot that he can somehow reach his potential and promise that came when he was drafted.

Im not against the pickup either really but really you havn't stabilized what your argument against me is. You've just arbitrarily questioned my knowledge of the Royals.

Davies has some of the worst stats i've ever seen so to say that his contributions have been any less than that is foolish

1hardcore
08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Are you actually arguing with me that Kyle Davies was anything more than a minor league filler with maybe a long shot that he can somehow reach his potential and promise that came when he was drafted.

Im not against the pickup either really but really you havn't stabilized what your argument against me is. You've just arbitrarily questioned my knowledge of the Royals.

Davies has some of the worst stats i've ever seen so to say that his contributions have been any less than that is foolish

Yes ... and the Royals are a ****** team that have had a history of back coaching bad development everything!!....

Bautista came from a ****** team.... John Buck came from a ****** team........ ...

Give Davies a shot ....if he doesnt do well then **** it..

If youre gonna say something as "i'm pretty sure i know more than you do "" when u've just been on this forum since may.... ..... then you're ur just cocky... i never say **** like this to anybody or make anything personal ..... agree to disagree ... THAT'S IT .... but don't be something somebody that ur not ! ... .nobody's perfect in this ****en forum..

Bombtista
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Yes ... and the Royals are a ****** team that have had a history of back coaching bad development everything!!....

Bautista came from a ****** team.... John Buck came from a ****** team........ ...

Give Davies a shot ....if he doesnt do well then **** it..

If youre gonna say something as "i'm pretty sure i know more than you do "" when u've just been on this forum since may.... ..... then you're ur just cocky... i never say **** like this to anybody or make anything personal ..... agree to disagree ... THAT'S IT .... but don't be something somebody that ur not ! ... .nobody's perfect in this ****en forum..

I made a comment that was fair. "The Royals suck because they start players like Kyle Davies"

Can you argue that he has been a positive influence on their pitching staff at anytime throughout his career?

You accused me of not knowing anything about the Royals which was really off topic by the way so i responded by saying I probably know more than you, which I probably do. Again thats not the point....

Baseball fans are not formed by creating a PSD account for themselves. Thats a weak argument to go for.

1hardcore
08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I made a comment that was fair. "The Royals suck because they start players like Kyle Davies"

Can you argue that he has been a positive influence on their pitching staff at anytime throughout his career?

You accused me of not knowing anything about the Royals which was really off topic by the way so i responded by saying I probably know more than you, which I probably do. Again thats not the point....

Baseball fans are not formed by creating a PSD account for themselves. Thats a weak argument to go for.

i never accused u.... coz i know u and alot of other guys here know who and what the royals are.... u just took it the wrong way ........ They start players like Davies ??? He does suck !! but almost of them suck.... Brian Banister Sean osullivan, luke hochevar all suck but theyre still starting ...what would u tell the Royals then ???.......... They just suck from top to bottom!!!.

I'm just gonna tell u ... u may know alot ... but there will always be another person better than you !!!

TO Rapz
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Lol. Give him a shot, if it doesnt work, release him. Not hard.

StayOnBoard
08-21-2011, 07:00 PM
People are getting way too bent out of shape on a 400k deal for minor league depth. The guy is awful, there's no question - but really, who cares? He won't even be with the team this time next year, it's not worth getting worked up over.

wamco
08-21-2011, 07:38 PM
i never accused u.... coz i know u and alot of other guys here know who and what the royals are.... u just took it the wrong way ........ They start players like Davies ??? He does suck !! but almost of them suck.... Brian Banister Sean osullivan, luke hochevar all suck but theyre still starting ...what would u tell the Royals then ???.......... They just suck from top to bottom!!!.

I'm just gonna tell u ... u may know alot ... but there will always be another person better than you !!!

-I thought their farm system was top notch lately?

wamco
08-21-2011, 07:40 PM
You are both kind of right. The royals suck and so does Davies. Also I want to see this 'who knows their royals better' issue get resolved properly. Let's just take it from the top. What state is Kansas City in?

Kelly Gruber
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
As some of our pitchers reach their innings pitched ceilings, we'll need some guys to eat innings. That's all Davies is. A guy to eat some innings in AAA/MLB for the rest of the year. Relax. He sucks, but it's just a minor stopgap.

1hardcore
08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
-I thought their farm system was top notch lately?

Hasn't it been like that for the past how many years now?????

mtf
08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Hasn't it been like that for the past how many years now?????

the past 1 year.

In Anthopoulos first year (2010), he improved their minor league rankings from something like 28th to 4th. It's been further improved but I don't know if they leap frogged any of the few teams ahead of them in 2011.

Ricciardi had a far different approach to building a team, thus the minor league system was pretty barren.

2009mvp
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
How the hell did we get to 4 pages on Kyle freakin Davies???

1hardcore
08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
If i had the power i would close this thread

ghost dog
08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
How the hell did we get to 4 pages on Kyle freakin Davies???

slow week

es0terik
08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
the past 1 year.

In Anthopoulos first year (2010), he improved their minor league rankings from something like 28th to 4th. It's been further improved but I don't know if they leap frogged any of the few teams ahead of them in 2011.

Ricciardi had a far different approach to building a team, thus the minor league system was pretty barren.

He was talking about the Kansas City farm, not the Blue Jays. But I think the Jays moved up to 2nd or 3rd by now. Kansas City is no longer better than the Jays with the promotions of Hosmer and Moose. I think when Lawrie loses prospect status after 130 AB, that alone might drop the Jays back down a rank.