PDA

View Full Version : Was it unfair to John Wall........

j-bay
08-19-2011, 08:53 PM
to have Blake Griffen as a rookie in his rookie season. Wall had a great season and has had many great achievements. He won the MVP award in the Soph vs Rookies games. Griffins a great player but to me he was alittle more overhyped because of ESPN like they did with Lebron, the dunking over the KIA thing, etc. I'm not saying Griffin is not a great player, but I have never seen a more overhyped player like Blake since Lebron. And to me Wall was underlooked. He didn't get enough reconition to me because of Blake.

Sadds The Gr8
08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Wall wasn't really efficient at all...

I do agree that Griffin shouldn't have been eligible for the ROY award. I don't like the rule that if sophomores miss their rookie season, they're still qualified as rookies

tredigs
08-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Griffin was better, and there's actually zero argument otherwise. We can whine that it was his "2nd year" - tho' obviously it wasn't - but Wall got the hype he deserved (which was a decent amount). Blake simply had an amazing rookie season.

As far as blake not being elligible, that's a load of crap. He played exactly zero pro games and only had 1 year of college. Was he more prepared than a rookie who played 4 years at UCLA or Duke? I'd say no.

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Wall was hurt a lot and had highs and lows.. For a good portion of the season Landry Fields outperformed him from a consistency standpoint . And b4 the trolls jump out , in no way am I saying Fields is better than Wall.

utahjazzno12fan
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
I have no problem with how someone is classified as a rookie even if drafted years before... It is the same as baseball. It was his first year in the NBA.

king4day
08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I thought Fields deserved it more than Wall. Wall MAY have won it if not for Griffin, but he wasn't a shoe'in

gwrighter
08-19-2011, 09:50 PM
If international players like Rubio & Valanciunas get to spend at least a year overseas after they are drafted & be considered rookies then imo Blake is a rookie as well. He put up rookie Tim Duncanesque per game stats, that's saying a lot.

WildcatsPride
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I love John Wall, but he was the 2nd best rookie in the NBA after Blake Griffin. I don't care if Griffin was drafted in the 2009 Draft, he didn't play at all in the 2009-10 season. So since he played ZERO games as a pro this year was his rookie year. If Griffin was a 2nd year player last year there's no question that Wall would've won ROY.

MrfadeawayJB
08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Griffin was better, and there's actually zero argument otherwise. We can whine that it was his "2nd year" - tho' obviously it wasn't - but Wall got the hype he deserved (which was a decent amount). Blake simply had an amazing rookie season.

As far as blake not being elligible, that's a load of crap. He played exactly zero pro games and only had 1 year of college. Was he more prepared than a rookie who played 4 years at UCLA or Duke? I'd say no.

I agree with almost all this. I do beleive he was more prepared than Wall and some 4 year collegiate players, simply because he saw up close and personal the NBA life. He also got to practice some with those guys and be around some of the best athletes in the world

Sactown
08-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't even think Wall should of been #2 in the running.. I think as a full season goes Cousins out preformed him..

Kyle N.
08-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Was it unfair to John Wall that Blake Griffin was better than him last year? :shrug: No.

CavsYanksDuke
08-20-2011, 02:25 AM
LMAO

Fair? In sports? Fairness? Really? Griffin had never played in a regular season game, thus he's a rookie. Same with MLB.

Equality exists in dreams, sir.

Lim
08-20-2011, 02:38 AM
i don't know but its kinda stupid for example to let someone like luis scola be eligible for rookie of the year after he played in spain for like 10 years.

NetsPaint
08-20-2011, 03:27 AM
I was more impressed by Cousins than Wall, the few times I saw them. Yeah, didn't see them a lot, so I can't judge.

Griffin was obviously way better. Granted, he did get a taste of NBA action in pre-season, and was in the NBA a full season, learning things closely, still, I don't mind it.

Covert
08-20-2011, 06:07 AM
I think Griffin was the clear cut winner of the Rookie of the Year and deservedly so. Even though Griffin got more attention this year, there is nothing stopping Wall from improving his game and getting the recognition he deserves in the future.

Sly Guy
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Wall wasn't really efficient at all...

I do agree that Griffin shouldn't have been eligible for the ROY award. I don't like the rule that if sophomores miss their rookie season, they're still qualified as rookies

the bolded part is what I'd say in response to the OP. Grif had the better season no matter which way you look at it. And I don't buy this whole 'he not eligible' argument either. A rookie is someone who hasn't played a full season of games in the NBA. Considering most rookies come out of college early, what difference does it make if he's 19, 20, or 25? It's not like he's gaining experience of cutting his teeth in practice, or by wearing a suit and a cast on the bench all season. If he were, every team's 12th man would have the ability to develop as much as their stars. There's no substitute for on-court experience, and Wall and Grif have had equal opportunity for it. that makes them both rooks.

WildcatsPride
08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
i don't know but its kinda stupid for example to let someone like luis scola be eligible for rookie of the year after he played in spain for like 10 years.

I don't understand that either, if a player plays professionally over in Europe and then goes to the NBA, I don't understand how they're rookies. Oh well, it's just how the NBA operates.

KingPosey
08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Was it FAIR? They are adults, in the NBA, what do you mean was it fair?

Wall was a hype machine coming out of college as well, pretty much every bit what Blake was the year before. And to be honest, there was a lot of questioning Blake's ability to play in the NBA and be a big time player.

Wall wasnt efficient at all last season, and wouldnt have been good enough for the ROY in a lot of different seasons for that exact reason.

Mane
08-20-2011, 01:18 PM
People continue to underrate John Wall :laugh2:

Doesn't matter though..

And as for the original question, who cares? An award means virtually nothing. Yes it is fair, because it's his first year playing. If John Wall wanted to win, he should have played better than Blake Griffin (which was nearly impossible)