PDA

View Full Version : #8 Center In The NBA? (Volume IV)

Mile High Champ
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last three years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. Its is now that time to vote! I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 2 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

1) Dwight Howard
2) Andrew Bynum
3) Tim Duncan
4) Andrew Bogut
5) Al Horford
6) Marc Gasol
7) Tyson Chandler
8)
9)
10)

2010 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Andrew Bogut
4) Brook Lopez
5) Andrew Bynum
6) Marc Gasol
7) Joakim Noah
8) Al Horford
9) Al Jefferson
10) Chris Kaman

2009 Off-Season C Rankings

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Shaquille O'Neal
5) Andrea Bargnani
6) Andris Biedrins
7) Emeka Okafor
8) Nene
9) Brook Lopez
10) Andrew Bynum

2008 Off-Season C Rankings:

1) Dwight Howard
2) Yao Ming
3) Al Jefferson
4) Andrew Bynum
5) Chris Kaman
6) Tyson Chandler
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Marcus Camby
9) Jermaine O'neal
10) Andrew Bogut

DR_1
08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Noah for the fourth time in a row, which is sad.

SteBO
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm going Noah, but Nene has a case here too.

Gators123
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Nene

KH12
08-19-2011, 04:06 PM
:laugh: good ol' NBA forum.

heattiltheend94
08-19-2011, 04:06 PM
how is Al Jefferson so underrated?

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
:laugh: good ol' NBA forum.

tell me about it. 75% ignorant people voting leaves you a top 10 list that looks like that. :facepalm:

Ebbs
08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
only bulls fans are mad. . . should be noah but I'll go Nene.

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 04:57 PM
uh no, everyone who's smart is mad at this top 10 list. Ask swashcuff, ask chronz, ask PatsSOXknicks.

Sadds The Gr8
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
only bulls fans are mad. . . should be noah but I'll go Nene.

this.

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
This list sucks. I pick Chandler though but damn this list isnt good

The C poll is really messed up.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" society now. That applies to why Gasol is being valued highly.

I fully agree [that this list has no validity]. Maybe not 15-20 but I fully agree that the votes of the more reputable posters should be the only only counted in polls such as these. Especially the greatest of all time as well.

I mean we have posters voting with no reasoning other than being a blantant homer. There is one guy who has voted Roy Hibbert since #2 and has said nothing more in the thread than Hibbert's name. These polls lose their validity when posters like that take part. For the most part that is what happens.

but of course this list is a joke right after dwigt so whatever.

marc gasol is actually going to beat noah

noah averages a double, passes, gets steals and block shots

are u guys kidding me... Noah has more value to his team than gasol does

This poll has 0 integrity...

^ None of these people are Bulls fans.

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
seriously, this makes no sense. People are punishing Noah for not having a good playoff run, then voting in people like Bynum and Andrew Bogut into high positions. Did those 2 have a good play off run?

Why is Bogut ahead of Al Horford? Why is Mac Gasol ahead of Tyson Chandler or Nene or Noah?

juno10
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
bogut should have been #2 other than that list doesn't look bad

Baller1
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Nene.

AntiG
08-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Nene, should have gone in the top 5.

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 06:15 PM
bogut should have been #2 other than that list doesn't look bad

explain why, if you can.

Because he's one of the most inefficient centers in the entire league, and his PER is not higher than Horfords, or Nene's or Noahs.

DR_1
08-19-2011, 07:13 PM
explain why, if you can.

Because he's one of the most inefficient centers in the entire league, and his PER is not higher than Horfords, or Nene's or Noahs.

You cant put much stock in PER

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
yes I can. PER, TS%, win shares, all of it paints a more complete picture

I can be like the rest of these people and just vote for the player I like the most though, then Noah would be #1

DR_1
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM

I can be like the rest of these people and just vote for the player I like the most though, then Noah would be #1

I'm not saying it's a complete nonfactor, only that it's a small piece of it, just like everything else.

The_Pharouh
08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Nene ,but this is a close one with Noah

Avenged
08-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Alright, now it's Nene's due.

theheatles
08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
nene..his game is more polished than noah

69centers
08-19-2011, 11:38 PM
how is Al Jefferson so underrated?

Because so many PSD users are hell bent on thinking advanced stats are taking over the world. They think rebounds and PPG are passť, and TS% and WS are the only deciding factors now.

See.

RZZZA
08-19-2011, 11:54 PM
come on man...it's like you're reading a coloring book and the rest of us are reading a book on quantum mechanics. basic stats are basic.

69centers
08-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I like coloring books. I'm pretty good at staying in the lines, too.

Chill_Will_24
08-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Nene... he should have gone in the top 5

MrfadeawayJB
08-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I chose Noah. I think his defense and rebounding puts him over the other on the list

ewmania
08-20-2011, 12:28 AM
i must say, this is the worse top 10 list so far

like two of these guys arent even centers... and how u punish noah for the playoffs and not bynum but somehow he's number #2

tyson chandler played a huge part in dallas winning the chip but lets not act like he's a star all of a sudden... all he is, is a roleplayer lets not get it confused

noah should of been top 5 and duncan shouldnt have been on this list

RZZZA
08-20-2011, 12:29 AM
^ please note that this person is not a Bulls fan. but I agree with him

ewmania
08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Lol duncan, horford & david lee being on this list

i guess kobe should of been a 3 because he plays SF at times when brown and him are on the court

EDIT: oh wow i didnt see perkins, he's getting my next vote

Swashcuff
08-20-2011, 12:36 AM

i guess kobe should of been a 3 because he plays SF at times when brown and him are on the court

Why shouldn't Horford and Duncan be on the list? They played almost exclusively against Cs on both ends of the floor last season (and for the greater part of the last 3 seasons). How would it be fair to rate them against players (PFs) who they didn't even match up with?

Kobe never played the SF so that's why he would not go there. TD and Horford however played the C.

MJ-BULLS
08-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Noah.

JIDsanity
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
This list really went south after #1

VCaintdead17
08-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm genuinely interested to hear an argument as to how Noah is better than Nene, because currently I think Nene is better, I'd just like to hear someone explain to me why Noah is better.

LTBaByyy
08-20-2011, 12:54 AM
This list is a joke haha

Bynum is not the 2nd best center, hes been "potential" since drafted
Tim Duncan started all his games at PF in the regular season
Marc Gasol is not better than Tyson Chandler. Especially if we are goin off last season/playoffs

Swashcuff
08-20-2011, 12:57 AM
This list is a joke haha

Bynum is not the 2nd best center, hes been "potential" since drafted
Tim Duncan started all his games at PF in the regular season
Marc Gasol is not better than Tyson Chandler. Especially if we are goin off last season/playoffs

That's not true TD started all his games at the C.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10SAS20.HTM#5man

Badluck33
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Whats the NBA?

KingPosey
08-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Noah is a good player with a lot to offer, and can get even better, but there are at least 3 players on this list that are better than him.

beasted86
08-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Chandler #7 over other guys in the league?

Chandler has no offense skill to create a chot (75% assisted... I'm guessing approx. the other 25% come from putbacks and loose ball fouls). On the defensive side of the ball he's given more credit than he's due for the Mavericks success. A year ago Chandler (healthy) was reduced to Theo Ratliff's backup on the Bobcats. Now it's Mavericks + Chandler = championship?

People have a bad tendency to forget what happens more than 5 minutes ago. I recall how Billups was given the same type of credit for "making" the Nuggets a "contender"... then a year later it was clear the Nuggets were still just a first round team that overachieved.

beasted86
08-20-2011, 01:50 PM

The 1 and only question I want to ask is who is the Hawks starting Center?

:shrug: I'm not sure when we started overriding the positions people play the most minutes & start at.... but all I have to say is it's a slippery slope.

85BearsDefense
08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
its sad that people who had a good playoff run are ahead of a guy like Noah... this list is trash

LakersMaster24
08-20-2011, 11:41 PM
One of the worst lists ever.

soundjunkies2
08-21-2011, 01:18 AM
i must say, this is the worse top 10 list so far

like two of these guys arent even centers... and how u punish noah for the playoffs and not bynum but somehow he's number #2

tyson chandler played a huge part in dallas winning the chip but lets not act like he's a star all of a sudden... all he is, is a roleplayer lets not get it confused

noah should of been top 5 and duncan shouldnt have been on this list

What do you mean? Bynum played very well in the playoffs.

ewmania
08-21-2011, 08:38 AM
The 1 and only question I want to ask is who is the Hawks starting Center?

:shrug: I'm not sure when we started overriding the positions people play the most minutes & start at.... but all I have to say is it's a slippery slope.

his natural position is a 4... and amare played 5 for us mostly all season so why wasnt he up here?

like i said, duncan is the greatest 4 in the history of basketball and placing him as a 5 is just dumb, cause he still played the 4 this season aswell

ewmania
08-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Why shouldn't Horford and Duncan be on the list? They played almost exclusively against Cs on both ends of the floor last season (and for the greater part of the last 3 seasons). How would it be fair to rate them against players (PFs) who they didn't even match up with?

Kobe never played the SF so that's why he would not go there. TD and Horford however played the C.

im a laker fan aswell and kobe played the 3 at times when he was combo'd with brown

Swashcuff
08-21-2011, 09:50 AM
im a laker fan aswell and kobe played the 3 at times when he was combo'd with brown

his natural position is a 4... and amare played 5 for us mostly all season so why wasnt he up here?

like i said, duncan is the greatest 4 in the history of basketball and placing him as a 5 is just dumb, cause he still played the 4 this season aswell

You really don't get it do you?

Let me try to break it down even smaller for you.

Tim Duncan played every single minute of his time last season at the C. Started all 76 games at the C and remained the for the entire game.

Elvin Hayes one of the greatest PFs in NBA history didn't always play the PF. If we're doing a poll of the greatest rookie season ever by a starting C you have to mention Elvin. Why? Because he played that position exclusively until around his 4th season. Well more or less the same with Duncan, he may be one of the greatest PFs but circumstances made it so that he had to move over and play the C position. Though he may be a natural PF for the sake of these polls he is a C reason being that he played that position exclusively.

If we're talking all time (and some still try to debate it because most of his career was spent at the C) of course he's considered a PF but as for a season he is a C.

As for your Kobe comment, that doesn't make any sense Kobe, Duncan and Horford are totally different extremes. Kobe spent 87.1% of his time on the floor playing the 2, Horford spent 65.6% of his time on the floor playing the 5 and TD well he spent 100% of his time on the floor playing the 5.

So your Kobe comparison holds makes no sense honestly. Amar'e makes sense because Amar'e did indeed spend the majority of his time playing the C.

Difference between Amar'e TD and Horford, the Hawks and the Spurs came into the season with Horford (thought the Hawks really wanted Horford to revert to his natural PF) and TD starting at the C the Knicks were still unsure as to what they would get out of Turiaf and Mozgof. Not to mention the fact that they were a small team to begin with with much more issues with potential Cs than the Spurs and the Hawks.

AntiG
08-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Duncan's "natural position" was C until he came to the Spurs and Robinson was there already. He was so effective at the 4 that they didn't want to mess up his game and just went out and found 5's to replace Robinson after retirement.

Put Hakeem at the 4 spot and he'll completely dominate too. Just like Duncan, he's naturally a 5 and naturally a 4, because he's simply that type of talent.

beasted86
08-21-2011, 07:01 PM

You just made two contradicting statements.

You say Duncan is still a 4 because he supposedly played the 4, but you say Horford is not a 5 even though he obviously played the 5.

This is why I say it's a slippery slope. Why not just call the player their position where they mostly play & where they start at? According to his splits, Amare started 43 games at PF, vs. 35 at Center ... so anyone calling him a PF still isn't necessarily wrong, as that's where he started the majority of the time. It's clear Turiaf & Mozgov were the Centers in the lineup as Turiaf started 21, Mozgov 14. Also the other difference is Duncan & Horford have been playing Center for at least the past 3 years, Amare just started at Center some time this season, he hasn't really started at Center since what? 2007?

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for you to answer who the Hawks starting Center was, and I'd love to hear the explanation on what makes Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair, and Antonio McDyess Centers.

PacersForLife
08-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I guess Roy Hibbert isn't going to make it, even though he is probably one of maybe 5-10 true centers in the whole entire league... :facepalm:

Chill_Will_24
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry but Lopez should have already been voted up. If he didnt play for the Nets ppl would look at him objectively.

He fell off on his rebounds because he was weak and skinny from a summer bout with Mono.

His defense is underrated.

His was the only other C on this list besides Dwight that drew double and even triple teams consistently.

He played with Devin ****in Harris who was always injured which then let Farmar be his PG SMH

His team was constantly distracted by rumors and bs! What was his motivation to even try?

He is the best and most versatile offensive C in the league

beasted86
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Sorry but Lopez should have already been voted up. If he didnt play for the Nets ppl would look at him objectively.

He fell off on his rebounds because he was weak and skinny from a summer bout with Mono.

His defense is underrated.

His was the only other C on this list besides Dwight that drew double and even triple teams consistently.

He played with Devin ****in Harris who was always injured which then let Farmar be his PG SMH

His team was constantly distracted by rumors and bs! What was his motivation to even try?

He is the best and most versatile offensive C in the league

I think Al Jefferson is more polished in the post, and a better rebounder.

Sadds The Gr8
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I guess Roy Hibbert isn't going to make it, even though he is probably one of maybe 5-10 true centers in the whole entire league... :facepalm:

Hibbert isn't even that good...

beasted86
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm pulling for Hibbert to someday shake his foul proneness, and inconsistency and start dominating on a regular basis like he did to start the season...

But until then, he probably doesn't belong in the top 10.

Chill_Will_24
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I think Al Jefferson is more polished in the post, and a better rebounder.

Agreed. I meant versatile as in Brook can step out to 18ft from all over the court and knock down shots. He was hitting shots from near the three pt line! Thats not where you would primarily want your C but all the same he IS versatile.