PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA the easiest Professional Sport to excel in?

JWO35
08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Out of the 4 major sports: Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Hockey

I think it it, because nowadays players rely mainly on their athletic ability, out of the major 4 Basketball is the only sport a HS player(or 1yr college player can come in and dominate) or at the least its more common in the NBA.

What do you think?

albertc86
08-16-2011, 07:53 PM
You make some good points but it has a lot to do with it being a 5 on 5 game, too. Those teams in the lottery have no choice but to play their top prospects from the draft; that's kind of the purpose of the draft.

NYKalltheway
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Baseball... get a bat hit a ball, what's so hard about that? :p

gwrighter
08-16-2011, 08:21 PM
no it has the smallest # of roster spots. you can make the most money on average by playing in the NBA but you can't just as easily excel in it.

PacersForLife
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Basketball is probably the hardest to excel in. Baseball is probably the easiest. In baseball all you have to really rely on is being able to hit a ball with a bat really hard and run around the bases, there is no physical contact really.

GoPacers33
08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I think basketball is the easiest to show improvement which is kinda what I think is the question :shrug:

JWO35
08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I mean from 1 level to the next...High School/College to the pros.
Basically going to the next level without missing a beat.

GoPacers33
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Ok then baseball. I think it would be the easiest to get the pros since there are about 50 rounds of drafting I think

Hellcrooner
08-16-2011, 09:13 PM
No.

You need to do a lot of things MUCH BETTER than the average joe to even enter the league.

In other sports you can make your way trough it having just ONE outstanding ability and the rest you can be toast and theres no prob.

If you can use a bat like hell and hit everything they trhow at you , you dont need much more.

If you can run like hell or scape like an ill or kick a ball with the perfect direction you have a nfl roster spot.

only american pro sport that needs more overal skill is Hockey

NYtilIdie
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
No, football is.

See Trent Dilfer.

IBleedPurple
08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
How many players in other sports come and play well after high school or one year of college?

Basketball easily.

TopsyTurvy
08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I would have to say the NFL or MLB is easiest to excel in simply due to the amount of specificity each position requires to succeed. In the NBA and the NHL, the target skill set for the professional player broadens tremendously. For example, a great NBA or NHL prospect will ALWAYS have the obstacle of "How well do they play on the other side of the ball/puck" in their path to greatness and the same simply cannot be said of MLB or NFL players.

Ezio
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Football to me. You can end up on ST teams and shine and then get traded somewhere to play LB or ST's again.

IBleedPurple
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I would have to say the NFL or MLB is easiest to excel in simply due to the amount of specificity each position requires to succeed. In the NBA and the NHL, the target skill set for the professional player broadens tremendously. For example, a great NBA or NHL prospect will ALWAYS have the obstacle of "How well do they play on the other side of the ball/puck" in their path to greatness and the same simply cannot be said of MLB or NFL players.

You do know that MLB players play defense as well right?

TopsyTurvy
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
You do know that MLB players play defense as well right?

Yes and you should also know how little defense means at most of the positions on the field in the modern game.

sventhedog
08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
baseball because it only involves hitting and catching the ball.

THE GIPPER
08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I went to the same highschool as danny watkins (the guy who was drafted by the eagles in the first round) and he didnt even touch a football in highschool. Didnt even try football until years later and now hes in the NFL. That basically shows that football is by far the easiest to excel in. If someone decided they wanted to play basketball, hockey or baseball after never trying it for the first 20 years of their life they would have absolutely no chance of going pro.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2011, 12:28 PM
baseball imo. They have tons of draft picks, a deep farm system, so its just much easier to sustain a living off baseball. Plus there are only about 450 players in the NBA a year, where as in football you have 1500, baseball over 1000, etc.

Hockey is possibly the most difficult, because its very regional, and its expensive because of equipment and being a facility sport, so a large percentage of the population isn't even subjected to it. Look at an NHL roster. 70% of the roster is Canadian or Eastern European, and the rest are from Minnesota and Michigan, with a few outliers it seems

Hawkeye15
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I love some of the "if you can hit a ball, you can play baseball" haha. Unfortunately, they don't have the DH spot in high school and college baseball. Its a much more skilled sport than some are giving credit for. To be a good hitter, your hand eye coordination must be elite.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Basketball to me is the hardest. Smallest rosters of the 4=tougher to make it into the league. It's also the 1 sport where intangibles can only take you so far, meaning once you are past your peak, its a good chance you can easily be replaced.

Law25
08-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Basketball to me is the hardest. Smallest rosters of the 4=tougher to make it into the league. It's also the 1 sport where intangibles can only take you so far, meaning once you are past your peak, its a good chance you can easily be replaced.

This.

nycsports2
08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
great thread!!! i do feels its baseball of course its a sport so you have to be good at it but compared to the training and athletic ability needed in the other 3 baseball for me is hands down the easiest..... lets put it this way how hard are the practices for each sport??? baseballs a day in the park

Hellcrooner
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I love some of the "if you can hit a ball, you can play baseball" haha. Unfortunately, they don't have the DH spot in high school and college baseball. Its a much more skilled sport than some are giving credit for. To be a good hitter, your hand eye coordination must be elite.

yes, but to be say mj you need to have a good hand and eye cordination, be quick , junp high, have a ton of stamina, be muscled, think in plays before they happen, have anticipation in defense, have a great foot work, etc etc etc.

its a bit more difficutl to be magic, bird, jordan etc than being joe di maio or babe ruth

Green_Monster
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
baseball because it only involves hitting and catching the ball.

:facepalm:

Yea its so easy to hit a 90-100 mph ball... Maybe you should try.

If baseball is easiest, then why do so many people fail and never make it to the majors.

Football is the easiest. If your fast and have hands, you make it as a WR. If your fat, you can be on the line!

aces01
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I think I would define easiest as how hard it is to pick the game up/how much of an impact can you make transitioning from high school/college to the pros. I voted football because I've heard stories of guys not playing the sport in high school and ending up playing in the NFL.

A lot of you guys are downplaying baseball because you don't necessarily have to be athletic to play, but the hand eye coordination, to me, is the most elite of all the sports. I think a lot of people think "easiest" means you don't have to be athletic to play, and I don't think I can agree with that.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
yes, but to be say mj you need to have a good hand and eye cordination, be quick , junp high, have a ton of stamina, be muscled, think in plays before they happen, have anticipation in defense, have a great foot work, etc etc etc.

its a bit more difficutl to be magic, bird, jordan etc than being joe di maio or babe ruth

MJ sucked at baseball. Kobe apparently looked moronic on a football field. Its not like the elite basketball players are such great athletes they can do whatever (I know you aren't saying that exactly). I also don't think baseball has nearly the "athletes" that football or basketball does. I was simply saying its a lot harder than just being able to get wood on a ball

Chronz
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I would have no idea how to measure this, basketball is dominated by giants. If your 7"1 I think you have most of what you need to make it, being coordinated is the other. 7"1 with nimble feet is all you need to make it nowadays.

There was a show in the 70's/80's that pitted athletes against one another and I think basketball players rated the worst.

Dont get me wrong its still the best game IMO, I just dont think its rocket science. Neither is baseball or hockey or futbol but in those sports your competing against a greater populace not just players who are your height. Football would be the toughest because you have to develop into a freak athlete for the most part.

3mikee_
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
To say the obvious, in pretty much all sports, you excel based on opportunity given.

Basketball is the easiest in my opinion because almost all of the players in the league.. or at least a wide majority of them were stars at one point in their lives.. if they were given 25 shots a game they can become a 20+ point scorer and excel in the league. (ie, Jerry Stackhouse)...yea there are less roster spots, but in the NBA if you are given opportunity whether it be with another player going down or whatever, there's a chance you can excel and become really good...

Like almost every season there are players that just come out of no where and have an amazing season (Wesley Matthews, Dorrell Wright, etc..) I just think it's harder to do well in baseball because of all the minor league systems that you have to fight through and how much more dominant most of the big leaguers are... and for football, the non guarantee contracts are just a recipe for failure and short careers and players who don't reach their potential.

Chronz
08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
:facepalm:

Yea its so easy to hit a 90-100 mph ball... Maybe you should try.

If baseball is easiest, then why do so many people fail and never make it to the majors.

Football is the easiest. If your fast and have hands, you make it as a WR. If your fat, you can be on the line!

Yea but the fact that its easier means more competition for those spots since anyone can become fat.

Still thats an interesting point, maybe its best to define it by positions.

It may be easier to be a fattie on the front line vs being a PG in the NBA, but is it easier to make it as a Center in the NBA vs a QB in the NFL?

Green_Monster
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Yea but the fact that its easier means more competition for those spots since anyone can become fat.

It may be easier to be a fattie on the front line vs being a PG in the NBA, but is it easier to make it as a Center in the NBA vs a QB in the NFL?

I think its harder to be a QB than Center. All you need is height and muscles for Center. For QB you need Hand Eye cordination, arm accuratcy, arm strength.

So this question that the guy asked doesnt really work. It varies by positon.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Roster spots in each sport during the year:

NBA: 480
NFL: 1600
MLB: 750
NHL: 690

Just throwing it out there.

Green_Monster
08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Roster spots in each sport during the year:

NBA: 480
NFL: 1600
MLB: 750
NHL: 690

Just throwing it out there.

NBA has D-League, MLB has minors leagues.

Low A Ball
A Ball
High A Ball
AA ball
AAA ball

So thats some other guys that willl most likely not make it.

MackSnackWrap
08-17-2011, 01:23 PM
It takes the same amount of talent to excel in any and every sport. All sports are tough in there own ways. Depends on someones talent in a certain sport aswell.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM

i have a 7 feet friend that i know since we were children, he played basketball with me in same team while growing up, he was so bad that was cut even before i was , thats when we were 12 and he was already 6,6 and the taller dude in the whole local league.

so, i disagree, is not only height and muscle what you need to make the leagie.

Hawkeye15
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
NBA has D-League, MLB has minors leagues.

Low A Ball
A Ball
High A Ball
AA ball
AAA ball

So thats some other guys that willl most likely not make it.

oh I know, and even mentioned it in my first post, that its easier to sustain a living in baseball because there are so many actual professional teams. There are semi pro basketball teams, semi pro football, canadian football, etc. I just listed the 4 major pro divisions.

Chronz
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I think its harder to be a QB than Center. All you need is height and muscles for Center. For QB you need Hand Eye cordination, arm accuratcy, arm strength.

So this question that the guy asked doesnt really work. It varies by positon.

My thoughts exactly

Chronz
08-17-2011, 02:24 PM
i have a 7 feet friend that i know since we were children, he played basketball with me in same team while growing up, he was so bad that was cut even before i was , thats when we were 12 and he was already 6,6 and the taller dude in the whole local league.

Sorry but compared to the amount 6"0 and under people that live in this world, you comparison of 1 holds little weight. You see I grew up with many friends that were of average height, and only a few who were 6"0+, care to guess which ones made the team?

Hell our HS team was so bad that they picked up some Football player who never played ball in his life just because he was tall.

There is just no way around it, basketball is a sport that is GREATLY influenced by Height, since I dont consider Height to be a skill it gos without saying that the # of people your competing against to make the sport is VASTLY smaller than any other sport.

so, i disagree, is not only height and muscle what you need to make the leagie.
This is irrelevant because you need skill in ANY sport, the difference is in basketball you HAVE to be tall. There are no such restrictions in Soccer OR Baseball, not sure about NHL or NFL but the NFL has more freak athletes than any other sport IMO.

Therefore if there are more people in your fight to make the league, its only reasonable to assume that adds to the difficulty of making the league, because the field of competition now includes the entire globe whereas in Basketball your only competing against people who are taller than average, in some cases significantly taller, in other words you have LESS people to compete against.
No matter how badly Pau wants to make the league, he doesnt get there if hes 5"5. Whereas in Soccer I think the best player in the game is around that height.

Evolution23
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Football is the easiest. Other than QB all other positions don't really require skill just great genetics.

MrfadeawayJB
08-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I would say basketball is the easiest to EXCEL in. Once you make it to the league, you have a chance to do something positive. Basketball has the best athletes in the world. But, with the limited amount of roster spots, it is very hard to make it to the league in the first place.

Baseball is the easiest to make it to the pro level, followed by football, hockey, and basketball.

But if your asking me what level is easiest to EXCEL in once you've made the pros, i say basketball.

iam brett favre
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok then baseball. I think it would be the easiest to get the pros since there are about 50 rounds of drafting I think

Seriously? Baseball is by far the hardest to make it to the pros in

JWO35
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Seriously? Baseball is by far the hardest to make it to the pros in

This
I'm actually surprised Baseball is leading...due to the 50+ rounds of baseball drafting(plus 3 minor league teams for each MLB Team) I say its the hardest to crack the professional ranks, in the NBA a 1st rounder is a lock to see decent amount of time on the court(depenring on where they're drafted) you got 1st round MLBers that never see the big league diamond ever!

Lim
08-17-2011, 11:48 PM
footballlll. rosters are huge. if u can run fast and tackle you can get a job

DieHardCubFan
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd have to say baseball

THINKBLUE15
08-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Hitting a baseball is the hardest individual task in all of sports. So in regards to people making baseball out to be easy....grab a clue. Hitting a round ball with a round bat and hit it square....Against balls coming at great speeds with movement, location, etc. Hitting a baseball at the major league level is easily the hardest INDIVIDUAL task in sports.

And defensively...do you see the amazing plays these guys make? Extremely skillful and athletic. Sure, there are players who aren't the greatest ATHLETES. But the argument isn't about athleticism. It is about how hard it is. And by the way, nowadays, the vast majority of baseball players are in extremely terrific physical condition and very athletic. And this is only scratching the surface. There are skills in base running, pitching, and tons of other things.

People who think because baseball is slow paced and not violent it is easy need to wake up. Playing Major League baseball isn't playing slow pitched softball at a family picnic. It is arguably the toughest sport.

Basketball is so reliant on raw god given ability and height. Sure, you have to work your *** off. But same goes for every other sport.

I'll bet you anything a major league baseball team would have a much easier time being able to score baskets against a NBA team then an NBA player would have trying to play baseball. By no means would the MLB team play GOOD. They would be terrible. But the NBA team would be mis-judging fly balls, having grounders go under their legs, throwing the ball off line, and they would barely even foul a ball off, among other things.

That isn't taking anything away from the incredible talent it takes to play in the NBA.

For the real argument, which is "What sport is the easiest to EXCEL at"...it would be football. Followed by basketball. Baseball is the hardest to excel in. Baseball is the easiest to make it into a pro system but undoubtedly the hardest to make it to the MAJOR LEAGUES and stay there....which would be the definition of EXCELLING in that sport.

todu82
08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Baseball

BradytoGronkTD
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Baseball is the hardest no doubt. Why do top prospects have to stay in the minors for a good 3 years before even thinking about playing in the MLB, where as basketball and football top draft picks can play and make a difference right away.

Gibby23
08-18-2011, 12:14 PM
NFL just because each team keeps 50 to 60 players and then sign more because players get hurt more often in the NFL.

blahblahyoutoo
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Baseball... get a bat hit a ball, what's so hard about that? :p

studies have shown that baseball requires the most skill.

football is probably the easiest if you have the body for it. just push and run.