PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis ranked 44th best player in the NBA by SI

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
08-16-2011, 06:50 AM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/08/08/top-100-nba-players-nos-41-50/

Curry was 41st while Iggy and Rudy Gay were both in the top 30.. this article makes me realize why the 76ers refused to give up more along with Iggy for Monta he isn't even considered the best player on the team by SI which makes me assume most people around the league feel the same.

asandhu23
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Its a stupid list. They have Tyreke Evans as better than Curry or Ellis. This **** is based on media hype... SI needs to go back to swimsuit issues and leave sports alone.

edit: and he quotes something by Tim Kawakami. Any sort of credibility, the author had is gone.

Really? Tim Kawakami is a source? No wonder, the whole NBA thinks the W's are a joke. The national media quotes morons like Kawakami. Marcus Thompson is way way way way better. He is atleast fair and doesn't try to turn every star Warriors have into a scapegoat just so he can sell his articles.

WestCoastSportz
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I know many people feel I'm a Monta hater, but that article said everything I've been saying for quite awhile. For a minute, lets not be just Warriors fans, but basketball fans. Its pretty simple. Since Ellis took over as the team's best player, they've been horrid. A coincidence? Probably not. When all your best player can do is score, then you're not going to win many games. Kobe, James, Wade and a good part of the elite players are able to play defense. Ellis isn't. Fans think that because Ellis is one of the tops in steals that he's a good defender and thats far from the truth, yet he doesn't have the skills (ball handling, passing and mental) to play the point guard position.

Lloyd Christmas
08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
44th doesn't seem that far off to me. I would have had him rated higher but whatever. Every player in the top 50 is a very good NBA player.

asandhu23
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Its pretty simple. Since Ellis took over as the team's best player, they've been horrid. A coincidence? Probably not.

BS. Ever since Monta took over, we have also had tons of injuries. Is he responsible for them too? Is he responsible for Biedrins' loss of manhood? is he responsible for season ending injury Azubuike had? Is he responsible for Wilson Chandler nearly chewing David Lee's arm off?

VCaintdead17
08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Tyreke>Monta

COOLbeans
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Tyreke>Monta

no. tyreke has done nothing in the league except being given the roy based on his hype from college. id take James Harden over Evans based on what i've seen thus far. and that's not saying a lot since Harden's not the most productive player from that class, and is probably not better than Evans from a talent perspective.

VCaintdead17
08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
no. tyreke has done nothing in the league except being given the roy based on his hype from college. id take James Harden over Evans based on what i've seen thus far. and that's not saying a lot since Harden's not the most productive player from that class, and is probably not better than Evans from a talent perspective.

Based on hype? He went 20, 5 and 5 his rookie year. An incredibly rare feat to say the least.

COOLbeans
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Based on hype? He went 20, 5 and 5 his rookie year. An incredibly rare feat to say the least.

yes he had a good season. nobody's denying that. but Monta went damn there 26, 5, 4 in 0'9. and Evan's wasn't even better than Steph Curry that year.

Kobe, Wade, and Rose have all commented on how difficult it is to play against Monta Ellis. I don't hear that same kind of chatter coming out about Tyreke Evans. there really is no comparing the two from a basketball standpoint.

VCaintdead17
08-16-2011, 09:43 PM
yes he had a good season. nobody's denying that. but Monta went damn there 26, 5, 4 in 0'9. and Evan's wasn't even better than Steph Curry that year.

Kobe, Wade, and Rose have all commented on how difficult it is to play against Monta Ellis. I don't hear that same kind of chatter coming out about Tyreke Evans. there really is no comparing the two from a basketball standpoint.

lol How did curry have a better year?

GSwarriors4LIFE
08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
BS. Ever since Monta took over, we have also had tons of injuries. Is he responsible for them too? Is he responsible for Biedrins' loss of manhood? is he responsible for season ending injury Azubuike had? Is he responsible for Wilson Chandler nearly chewing David Lee's arm off?

Hahaha. I agree with you, it seems like all the people who blame monta for the warriors struggles the last couple of years haven't followed any of the previous seasons or even seen a W's game.

COOLbeans
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
lol How did curry have a better year?

lol. im just calling it like i saw it. how didnt Curry have a better year?

asandhu23
08-16-2011, 10:46 PM

on a ****** Kings team. there were no other scorers full on scorers on that team.

MackShock
08-16-2011, 11:07 PM
i dont believe in these rankings...if theres a season, well see where he ends up on my yahoo fantasy basketball

VCaintdead17
08-17-2011, 06:57 AM
on a ****** Kings team. there were no other scorers full on scorers on that team.

And yet he managed to average over five assists....

asandhu23
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
And yet he managed to average over five assists....

5 assists isn't hard to get. Even Monta ( THE LORD OF ALL BALLHOGS IN NBA HISTORY according to many ) averages 5 assists per game.

likemystylez
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
i dont believe in these rankings...if theres a season, well see where he ends up on my yahoo fantasy basketball

if you are going to go off of fantasy basketball rankings....those dont tell you anywhere near who the best players are. Those rankings just show who cares about their stats most.

VCaintdead17
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
5 assists isn't hard to get. Even Monta ( THE LORD OF ALL BALLHOGS IN NBA HISTORY according to many ) averages 5 assists per game.

He has a shooter in Curry to drop the ball off to. Tyreke has no one

Lloyd Christmas
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I personally would trade Monta for Tyreke.:hide:

MackShock
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
if you are going to go off of fantasy basketball rankings....those dont tell you anywhere near who the best players are. Those rankings just show who cares about their stats most.

cp3 has been number one in the past..i dont think he cares about stats...he cares about winning.

MackShock
08-17-2011, 06:54 PM

errrr..ty-weak evans

asandhu23
08-17-2011, 10:24 PM

:puke:

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
08-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I would trade monta for tyreke in a heartbeat but I posted this mostly just to point out if were to get iggy for monta it would be a steal.

asandhu23
08-17-2011, 11:19 PM
I would trade monta for tyreke in a heartbeat but I posted this mostly just to point out if were to get iggy for monta it would be a steal.

thank God you are not the Warriors' GM. Cohan would have loved you on his team.

VCaintdead17
08-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Iggy>Monta by a mile

You can't even argue against it.

COOLbeans
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Iggy>Monta by a mile

this comment is so blatantly ignorant that it's obvious you don't watch basketball very often. Or at least games that feature the Warriors against other teams in the NBA.

Lloyd Christmas
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Iggy>Monta by a mile

Haha. Alright guy.

MackShock
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Iggy>Monta by a mile

this comment is so blatantly ignorant that it's obvious you don't watch basketball very often. Or at least games that feature the Warriors against other teams in the NBA.

Haha. Alright guy.

Im hoping he means defense wise.

Yeah...Iggy's expendable due to Evan Turner.

Wait..then theres Steph Curry..

VCaintdead17
08-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Prove me wrong.

Do it.

Lloyd Christmas
08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Prove me wrong.

Do it.

Great. Another stat geek ready to bust out his TS% and his UZR defensive ratings (baseball stat. I know.) and what not. We get guys like you in here all of the time ready to rip us for believing Monta is a good player. We get it. Monta shoots too many shots to get his points.

Oh and for the record I personally think both Iggy and Tyreke are better then Monta but to say "by a mile and you can't even argue against it" is ridiculous.

COOLbeans
08-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Great. Another stat geek ready to bust out his TS% and his UZR defensive ratings (baseball stat. I know.) and what not. We get guys like you in here all of the time ready to rip us for believing Monta is a good player. We get it. Monta shoots too many shots to get his points.

Oh and for the record I personally think both Iggy and Tyreke are better then Monta but to say "by a mile and you can't even argue against it" is ridiculous.

:nod:

COOLbeans
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Tyreke needs to show he can improve before i trade Monta for him at this juncture. Monta's not that inconsistent, its that our coaching was horrible on many levels and our offensive plays sucked. Tyreke didn't improve last year..

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
thank God you are not the Warriors' GM. Cohan would have loved you on his team.

What's one reason we shouldn't trade Monta for Tyreke besides the fact the Kings would never do that deal LOL.. he is younger, cheaper, he averaged 20 5 and 5 his rookie season which is unreal had a slump last year but that was mostly due to the plantar fasiitas or w/e lol and because he is cheaper we could get that big name center FA cause we would really have more money than any team.

asandhu23
08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
What's one reason we shouldn't trade Monta for Tyreke besides the fact the Kings would never do that deal LOL.. he is younger, cheaper, he averaged 20 5 and 5 his rookie season which is unreal had a slump last year but that was mostly due to the plantar fasiitas or w/e lol and because he is cheaper we could get that big name center FA cause we would really have more money than any team.

Injury prone.

beasted86
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I know many people feel I'm a Monta hater, but that article said everything I've been saying for quite awhile. For a minute, lets not be just Warriors fans, but basketball fans. Its pretty simple. Since Ellis took over as the team's best player, they've been horrid. A coincidence? Probably not. When all your best player can do is score, then you're not going to win many games. Kobe, James, Wade and a good part of the elite players are able to play defense. Ellis isn't. Fans think that because Ellis is one of the tops in steals that he's a good defender and thats far from the truth, yet he doesn't have the skills (ball handling, passing and mental) to play the point guard position.
From an outside perspective I have been a warriors fan for a while, they are probably my 2nd favorite NBA team...

Monta is getting a bad rap. Sure he's clearly not cut out to be a #1 option on any team... but that said who on the Warriors is? Curry? David Lee? Is that a joke? My whole problem is you listen to some fans talk, and they'd have you believe Monta Ellis is holding back an otherwise playoff ready roster. The Warriors are NOWHERE near the playoffs... even if they swap parts in a trade for Igoudala or OJ Mayo.

Monta Ellis isn't the problem. The "team" is the problem.

asandhu23
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
From an outside perspective I have been a warriors fan for a while, they are probably my 2nd favorite NBA team...

Monta is getting a bad rap. Sure he's clearly not cut out to be a #1 option on any team... but that said who on the Warriors is? Curry? David Lee? Is that a joke? My whole problem is you listen to some fans talk, and they'd have you believe Monta Ellis is holding back an otherwise playoff ready roster. The Warriors are NOWHERE near the playoffs... even if they swap parts in a trade for Igoudala or OJ Mayo.

Monta Ellis isn't the problem. The "team" is the problem.

definitely. outside of Curry, Lee, Ellis, Wright and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Reggie Williams who do we have?

Udoh is a decent defensive presence and that's all he is. if you look at this roster, Monta is the second best defense player on the team. I know it sounds weird. Just look at the roster.

Does David Lee play defense? No.

Does Curry play defense? No.

Dorell Wright? Maybe but he is a just a guy who plays the role of Anthony Morrow.

Biedrins? I don't even want to start. Guy lost his balls.

Radmanovich? No thank you.

Jeremy Lin? No.

Williams? Barely gets off the bench..

who else do we have?

Giantwarrior
08-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Bob Fitzgerald would have put Monta in the top 10

Lloyd Christmas
08-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Bob Fitzgerald would have put Monta in the top 10

For sure. Unless the Warriors traded him. Even if the trade was monta for a second rounder Fitz would say how it was a great deal.

GSW 2012 CHAMPS
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Injury prone.

you have got to be kidding he had 1 injury last season that just lingered for awhile and it was plantar fasciitis.. he played 72 games his rookie season he is better than Monta Ellis and as a player he is only going to continue to grow because of how young he is.

Enzy
08-21-2011, 07:06 PM
No surprise that a good player on a mediocre team isn't ranked by a national periodical in the top 20. But instead of bickering over who's better than who, why don't we all just admit that Monta is an extraordinarily talented athlete with some holes in his game. Maybe he'll overcome them, maybe he won't. There are a lot of factors at play, such as trainers and coaches. There's stuff he can do that nobody else in the league can do, and there's stuff he can't do that everyone else in the league seems to be able to (mild exaggeration). I, for one, truly enjoy watching him play basketball. He's one of my five favorite players to watch. Last season he hit some game-winners. He also plays a preposterous amount of minutes and has a weight on his shoulders FAR heavier than any of the players he is being compared to by some of you. He hustles and he cares about winning. He's a great piece for the right team. He shot over 60% from the field for a month when we had Baron and Jackson et al.