PDA

View Full Version : What If Denver Had Called Melo's Bluff?

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Im not questioning why they did it, we all know the situation had grew to be unbearable and enough was enough with all the drama. But just hypothetically if they had stood their ground and called his bluff what do you think would've happened?

Im of the opinion that as the season grew closer to an end he would've signed that extension. Its one thing to scoff at it when you're in the middle of the season and all the rumors are flying but after the deadline passed and you started hearing more and more about the impending lockout and new cba you can't tell me he would've really just left all that money on the table. Way too huge of a gamble....

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
they would have failed.

and knicks woudl have now melo + felton+ gallo+mozgov and etc and be a serious contender for next season

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
they would have failed.

and knicks woudl have now melo + felton+ gallo+mozgov and etc and be a serious contender for next season

Under whatever the new cba will be there's no way they'd have been able to keep everyone and give him the kind of money he wanted. He would've had to go to New York and take less money, which at the end of the day as much as he says he LOVES NY I doubt he would've done.

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
^ you are assuming the cba will bring great changes.

I tell you it WONT happen.

the only thing that is gonna change is the SHARE between Owners and PLAYERS.

nothing else.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Under whatever the new cba will be there's no way they'd have been able to keep everyone and give him the kind of money he wanted. He would've had to go to New York and take less money, which at the end of the day as much as he says he LOVES NY I doubt he would've done.

They wouldn't have kept Chandler, which is why I assume HC left him off the list. And also obviously no Billups, but I still think the Knicks would be in a better situation.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM

you just answerd your own question

llemon
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Im not questioning why they did it, we all know the situation had grew to be unbearable and enough was enough with all the drama. But just hypothetically if they had stood their ground and called his bluff what do you think would've happened?

Im of the opinion that as the season grew closer to an end he would've signed that extension. Its one thing to scoff at it when you're in the middle of the season and all the rumors are flying but after the deadline passed and you started hearing more and more about the impending lockout and new cba you can't tell me he would've really just left all that money on the table. Way too huge of a gamble....

Denver would have been nuts to extend 'Melo when he made it so clear he wanted out.

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
you just answerd your own question

Do you think he would've left 60milli on the table for the chance to go play for NY for an unknown amount for unknown years?

strahan92osi72
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
They wouldn't have kept Chandler, which is why I assume HC left him off the list. And also obviously no Billups, but I still think the Knicks would be in a better situation.

Ummmm.....NO!

Evolution23
08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Why are we still discussing what ifs?

llemon
08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Why are we still discussing what ifs?

Because there is an NBA lockout?

Evolution23
08-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Because there is an NBA lockout?

u bored?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Do you think he would've left 60milli on the table for the chance to go play for NY for an unknown amount for unknown years?

No sir, I do not.

llemon
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
u bored?

No. You?

Jetsguy
08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
The Knicks would be good and deep (thats what she said)

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
No sir, I do not.

I concur.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Ummmm.....NO!

Explain how the Knicks are better off having traded felton, gallo, mozgov, and chandler for Melo, as opposed to have just waiting until FA and just sign him outright, while keeping all those players except for probably Chandler

Chill_Will_24
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Meh... Melo wanted out of Denver... NY was his cake and the money was his icing... he wouldnt have signed the ext with DEN regardless and NY would be a deeper team for it.. they might have even put on a better fight in the playoffs

Sly Guy
08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

But the way NYC had a hard on for him, I'm sure the FO would have entertained salary-dumping options on trades to make space for him. The way I see it, 'melo
only wanted one thing, and he was gonna get it no matter what. Denver made the best deal possible.

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
But the way NYC had a hard on for him, I'm sure the FO would have entertained salary-dumping options on trades to make space for him. The way I see it, 'melo
only wanted one thing, and he was gonna get it no matter what. Denver made the best deal possible.

This true. It shows you that Denvers management has a lot of class and didn't make it a personal thing, there's plenty of owners that would've shipped him elsewhere just out of spite and let him get to New York the best way he knew how. NY got raped in the deal so its not like they exactly did them any favors but ehh I guess all parties are happy....

strahan92osi72
08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Explain how the Knicks are better off having traded felton, gallo, mozgov, and chandler for Melo, as opposed to have just waiting until FA and just sign him outright, while keeping all those players except for probably Chandler

Didn't know we were comparing the what would've been Knicks team as opposed to what they are. I thought you meant they were better off before the trade. Because they weren't. Melo is a superstar, something none of those players you mentioned are or will ever be. As far as comparisons to the what would've been Knicks. Lets start with Mozgov. He was an unpolished big who had a lot to learn. Jorts Harrelson is just as much of a project as Mozgov. Don't see much of a downgrade there. Second of all Billups, even at is age is>>>>>Felton. Felton fit the system perfectly, but he is a good player at best. Billups, when he was a healthy, was still a major force offensively for the Knicks, just look at his game against Miami. Chandler, as you said, they wouldn't have kept anyway. The only real loss is Gallo, and I liked Gallo. But the Knicks, like every other team, has not begun their offseason. Maybe they can get somebody to be as productive as Gallo this offseason. That being said, I would've loved Gallo to be on a team with Melo, Amare, and Billups, but role players are much easier to find than stars. Therefore, I'll take my chances with stars instead of role players.

IDunknown
08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Meh... Melo wanted out of Denver... NY was his cake and the money was his icing... he wouldnt have signed the ext with DEN regardless and NY would be a deeper team for it.. they might have even put on a better fight in the playoffs

Billups got hurt in game 1.Amar'e got hurt in the warmups of game 2.They couldn't have done any better.

Kashmir13579
08-15-2011, 09:27 PM
They would've helped the Knicks out, big time.

Mudvayne91
08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
It still wouldn't have been good. A lot of fans would resent him and he would be stuck somewhere longterm where he wouldn't of wanted to be.

bmd1101
08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
^ you are assuming the cba will bring great changes.

I tell you it WONT happen.

the only thing that is gonna change is the SHARE between Owners and PLAYERS.

nothing else.

Thats a pipedream lol.

LakersMaster24
08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I think New York should have waited and just signed Carmelo. Because giving up Chandler Gallinari Felton Mozgov is just too much, because you kill any depth your team has. Imagine if they had Carmelo plus players like Chandler and Felton? (assuming they trade away Gallo for cap space).

llemon
08-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I think New York should have waited and just signed Carmelo. Because giving up Chandler Gallinari Felton Mozgov is just too much, because you kill any depth your team has.

Plus Anthony Randolph and a 1st rdr.

JerseysFinest
08-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I think New York should have waited and just signed Carmelo. Because giving up Chandler Gallinari Felton Mozgov is just too much, because you kill any depth your team has. Imagine if they had Carmelo plus players like Chandler and Felton? (assuming they trade away Gallo for cap space).
If Dolan took that approach, Carmelo Anthony would be a Net.

Chill_Will_24
08-15-2011, 11:45 PM
If Dolan took that approach, Carmelo Anthony would be a Net.

Thank god things worked out the way they did for us..

Slimsim
08-15-2011, 11:51 PM

Because there was a good chance he would have decided to go for the money and THen Everyone would say the Knicks missed out on another superstar. THen we would have Over paid chandler and hope Gallo take a leap like D rose into stardom. Felton was a rental until cp3 was a free agent. Mozzy would be missed to bad Mike D couldn't keep him on the bench a little longer or waited till the trade deadline to play him.

Slimsim
08-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank god things worked out the way they did for us..

I wouldn't say that you guys are still in some trouble With the lockout and the fact D will didn't sign on the dotted line yet

llemon
08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Billups got hurt in game 1.Amar'e got hurt in the warmups of game 2.They couldn't have done any better.

Absolutely.

What knowledgeable NBA fan could have EVER suspected that either Amare or Billups could possibly suffer an injury after both playing full NBA seasons?

Should Knicks ask for a rebate on the Nugget trade, or possibly bring the insurance companies that refuse to issue insurance on Amare's contract to court on the charge of the insurance companies acting in an intelligent business manner?

Chill_Will_24
08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't say that you guys are still in some trouble With the lockout and the fact D will didn't sign on the dotted line yet

Thats true :sigh: But i like our chances... from what he has said and what has been reported im confident that Deron will open up the Brooklyn arena in 2012.

Rivera
08-16-2011, 12:09 AM
real talk i think melo would have resigned before the season ended.....

he had his advisors on this and two things seemed clear....he wanted to go to the Knicks....he wanted to sign that extension....money talks and with the lockout and the new possible CBA changes melo could loose out on over 20 mil

strahan92osi72
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM

More importantly, Melo>>>>Deron anyway.

JerseysFinest
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

You should be a comedian.

strahan92osi72
08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
You should be a comedian.

You must be Stevie Wonder. Anybody who thinks Deron is better than Melo must be blind, seriously.

JasonJohnHorn
08-17-2011, 12:19 AM
He might haved signed with them. Who knows. Bottom line is, they are better off with the situation they have now. They are deeper, younger, and went as far in the playoffs as they did last year with Melo (which doesnt say much). Bottom line is, Melo has only won two playoff series so far in his career. He's a great player, but as a GM, had I had the guy for seven years and not been able to win more than two playoff series and looked like it was going to be more of the same with a higher price-tag, I would have dumped him for a host of young players too.

juno10
08-17-2011, 12:29 AM

lol no. if you gave knick fans a choice at the deadline to take deron or mello they'd take deron. not now though since their mancrush is to deep.

You must be Stevie Wonder. Anybody who thinks Deron is better than Melo must be blind, seriously.

you have to be mentally challenged to take a melo a no defense scoring SF over a young elite pg and floor general who would make amare play even more dominant than he already is.

Chill_Will_24
08-17-2011, 01:08 AM
lol no. if you gave knick fans a choice at the deadline to take deron or mello they'd take deron. not now though since their mancrush is to deep.

you have to be mentally challenged to take a melo a no defense scoring SF over a young elite pg and floor general who would make amare play even more dominant than he already is.

Dude i like you more with every post! :D

DerekRE_3
08-17-2011, 01:29 AM
they would have failed.

Actually they wouldn't. Melo wouldn't be able to sign anywhere. And the new CBA could prevent them from having the money to get him once the lockout is over.