PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade E5?

adab
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Edwin Encarnacion has arguably been the best Blue Jays hitter the past several weeks. (I can't believe I just wrote that!) Even more surprising, is that this is the second year in a row, he's proven to be a late season hitter. It's a shame he can't hit his weight until mid July.
As of this moment, the Jays are in 5th place in the wild card race, sitting 12 games behind the Yankees. So its safe to say that it's almost impossible for the Jays to win the wild card race.
With that in mind would you put E5 on waivers and trade him to any team that puts a claim on him?
IMO, The guy's going to be 29 years old next season and I can not see him becoming the next Jose Bautista and does not fit into the long-term plans of trhe Blue Jays. (Mind you, no one saw Bautista emerging to be the power threat he is.)
So I say, get maximum value for this guy right now. He'll NEVER have as much value as he does right now.
Once upon a time, the Jays traded 2 young players for a pitcher named David Cone. Most Jays fans will tell you Cone was well worth the 2 players. BTW. The 2 players were Jeff Kent and Ryan Thompson.
While Thompson was journeyman OF who put up pedestrian numbers, Kent turned out pretty darn good. He won the NL MVP in 2000 and when he retired was the all time HR leader among 2B in baseball.
Who's to say, the Jays couldn't receive a similar player for Encarnacion? If an offensively deficient team that was closer to a post season position would be willing to trade for one of the hottest hitters, the Jays might be able to pick their pocket.
Any thoughts?

North Yorker
08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Now is not the time to trade him. Some bottom feeder would pick him up on waivers and wont give up much for him.

Exercise his option for next year, and then take it from there.

Bob_at_york
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I would definitely trade him. I was shocked he wasn't traded at the trade deadline. I am not sure what kind of value you will get in return at this point.

madmike77
08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd say no unless they get something significant for him. He's hitting far too well right now to just let go.

They can also pick up his option and try to deal him next year. Given his surge since the early part of the season they should be able to get something for him.

I'd be more inclined to keep him and see what the team can do with the new pieces next year. With a rebuilt bullpen and another quality starter I think they could be in the mix.

nithanyo
08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
He'll ya. I would trade Bautista if the right deal came along

McJoe
08-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Now is exactly the time to trade him. If when you put him on waivers, some bottom feeder who doesn't want to give you anything picks him up then you don't deal him but you do in the offseason. Edwin is not nearly as good as his numbers suggest. Hitting behind Lind and Bautista, he's getting a lot of pitches to hit and he's not missing them but put him in a lineup without the threat of Bautista and he isn't gonna put up these numbers. Plus thanks to his HISTORICALLY bad defence, you can't use him anywhere but DH or as a pinch hitter. His UZR/150 this season is -11.5 at first and -41.2 at 3rd. His CAREER UZR/150 at 3rd is -12.7 and -12.1 at 1st. You literally cannot use him on defence. He has to go because he has to make room for someone else. He's a good hitter but not good enough for a guy who can't play any defence. Pick up his option and deal him for whatever you can get while his value is as high as it is. I was shocked when he wasn't dealt at the deadline.

Bombtista
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Now is exactly the time to trade him. If when you put him on waivers, some bottom feeder who doesn't want to give you anything picks him up then you don't deal him but you do in the offseason. Edwin is not nearly as good as his numbers suggest. Hitting behind Lind and Bautista, he's getting a lot of pitches to hit and he's not missing them but put him in a lineup without the threat of Bautista and he isn't gonna put up these numbers. Plus thanks to his HISTORICALLY bad defence, you can't use him anywhere but DH or as a pinch hitter. His UZR/150 this season is -11.5 at first and -41.2 at 3rd. His CAREER UZR/150 at 3rd is -12.7 and -12.1 at 1st. You literally cannot use him on defence. He has to go because he has to make room for someone else. He's a good hitter but not good enough for a guy who can't play any defence. Pick up his option and deal him for whatever you can get while his value is as high as it is. I was shocked when he wasn't dealt at the deadline.

Every team in the league offers protection to their hitters. Its not like Bautista and Lind ( c'mon) are the only good hitters around.

He is a streaky hitter but when he is hot is he ever hot! He probably the hottest guy in the AL outside of Granderson and Pedroia.

To answer the question i would only trade him if the right deal came along. I would never let him go for nothing as he his a big bat that can help any team. He seems like a guy who will be moved at the trade deadline rather than in the off season though

hendrix
08-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Isn't a 13 game career sample size at 1st a tad small to be throwing UZR/150 #'s around?

joshhorvath
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
already a similar thread to this...