PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next NBA star to win 6 rings?

mRc08
08-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Simple question. Who will be the next NBA star to win six rings?

We all know that rings are one of the most important things that determine a players greatness, and one reason why the kobe vs. mj debate still isn't THAT serious.

Does kobe find a way to win another before he's done?
Will lebron and the heat put it together and win not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....?
Will the knicks find a way to put a dynasty together with an addition of another big player (cp3)?
Is this player not even in the NBA yet?
Will a bulls core of rose, deng, noah, and boozer who are all signed for years get it done with an upgraded sg?

who do you have doin it?

Sadds The Gr8
08-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Demar Derozan

WadeKobe
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
No one. The new CBA will not allow for it. It will introduce a hard cap, or something like it, and the competition will be spread thin and more evenly. The only people to ever win 5 or more played on stacked teams in big markets. Won't happen ever again if the owners get their way.

Chill_Will_24
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Derrick Rose

Silent
08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
No one. The new CBA will not allow for it. It will introduce a hard cap, or something like it, and the competition will be spread thin and more evenly. The only people to ever win 5 or more played on stacked teams in big markets. Won't happen ever again if the owners get their way.

x2

shep33
08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Obviously Kobe has a good shot. Even if it isn't as the number 1 guy, he can try and ring chase to get one more... although I really doubt that happens. Guy will retire a Laker.

eibbor
08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

I kinda disagree. I think it will be tough, BUT people are only going to be thinking about big names here. Someone will pull a Robert Horry and just be in the right place at the right time eventually.

Cubs Win
08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Derrick Rose

Chill Will 24 (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jyaFg9IwHtQ/TLT9qZrkdNI/AAAAAAAAHgc/HtA2NDeh3-I/s1600/126167545854.jpg)

MTar786
08-14-2011, 08:00 PM
kobe will do it by this upcoming season.. or next season. if he doesnt this or next year then it will be a really long time till we see another superstar getting 6 rings.

at the moment theres

cp3-0rings
lebron-0 rings (26years old)
wade-1 ring (30 years old)
durant-0 rings (22 years old?)
dwight howard-0 rings (25 years old?)

the only guys here who imo has a chance at getting 6 is lebron and durant..

Lebron will have to start winning rings by next season if he wants to retire with anything more than 4 rings.

durant is so young that you cant say he wont win 6.. I dont feel he is good enough to get 6 rings on a team that is not from los angeles or boston.

wade is too old.. unless he rides lebrons jockstrap in his older years

dwight isnt good enough to get 6.. he may get 2 or 3 if he comes to LA

imo rose will not win more than 1 ring in his career.. if that

MTar786
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
kobe has more rings than lebron,wade,cp3,dwight,rose,deron,melo,amare,dirk and nash all combined :)

Kobes a Killer
08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Kobe obviously has the best chance out of anyone

eibbor
08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
kobe has more rings than lebron,wade,cp3,dwight,rose,deron,melo,amare,dirk and nash all combined :)

so?

RLundi
08-14-2011, 08:07 PM

We all know that rings are one of the most important things that determine a players greatness, and one reason why the kobe vs. mj debate still isn't THAT serious.

?

So are you saying that if Kobe does get to 6 rings, then the debate will turn serious?

mRc08
08-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I just feel like kobes window to win will be closing if he doesn't get it done in the next couple of years, and based off last season im not sure how close they are to winning another.

Durant could do it if OKC figures out what to do with him and westbrook

I'm not sure I believe dwight can, plus out of all the current young superstars i expect his body to start breaking down the fastest

Wade and lebron maybe? if the current heat win five that would put wade at 6, but he would be 35 when they win it....maybe it could happen?

Rose isn't getting much love here, but a 22 year old MVP, i won't rule anything out

mRc08
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
?

So are you saying that if Kobe does get to 6 rings, then the debate will turn serious?

No but hardcore laker fans and people who do not remember will raise the question. And if kobe were to win the title next year, your telling me ESPN wouldn't play into it?

mRc08
08-14-2011, 08:11 PM
?

No but hardcore laker fans will and people who don't remember how good mj was. Plus your telling me if kobe wins a ring next year ESPN won't be all over that comparison

RLundi
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Robert Horry has more rings than Kobe.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Kobe is the easy answer here. Until a younger player starts winning a few, I can't think of anyone else at this point that wouldn't be a completely uncalled for speculation. Maybe Wade if Miami can get it right 5 times, but that is asking for the moon.

Kobe is the only answer here that makes sense

Hawkeye15
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Does kobe find a way to win another before he's done?
Will lebron and the heat put it together and win not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....?
Will the knicks find a way to put a dynasty together with an addition of another big player (cp3)?
Is this player not even in the NBA yet?
Will a bulls core of rose, deng, noah, and boozer who are all signed for years get it done with an upgraded sg?

who do you have doin it?

No, rings are not anywhere close to the most important measurement to a player's greatness. And rings have nothing to do with the dominance that Michael has over Kobe. Rings are simply one part of the equation. They hold no extra weight over stats, accolades, awards, dominance amongst peers, and a few other factors. Being on a great team that gives you opportunities to win rings shouldn't give a player extra credit.

Ill21
08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Gotta be Kobe

MVP20
08-14-2011, 08:28 PM
LeBron or Durant are the OBV answers but prolly no one of this generation will get 6.

mRc08
08-14-2011, 08:30 PM
No, rings are not anywhere close to the most important measurement to a player's greatness. And rings have nothing to do with the dominance that Michael has over Kobe. Rings are simply one part of the equation. They hold no extra weight over stats, accolades, awards, dominance amongst peers, and a few other factors. Being on a great team that gives you opportunities to win rings shouldn't give a player extra credit.

Fair enough, but when comparing great players with similar stats, and rings come into play, they are a large factor. Obviously T-mac (no rings) is better than Fisher, but you are kidding yourself if you say rings are not a huge factor for why some are better than others. Even outside of basketball this holds water, say Marino vs peyton manning, the fact that peyton has a ring does a lot more for his legacy than if he didn't. I'm not going to get into why rings are important to an athlete greatness, but we all know for better or worse people look at the greats and many times rank them based on their titles, especially if they were "the man" on their team. Tell me with a straight face dirk's one ring didn't elevate him tremendously on the all time great list

mRc08
08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
also, the kobe mj thing was just an example. In no way do i think kobe can do anything in his career to outdo mj at this point. I was just using it to set up the question

fadedmario
08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Brandon Knight

Raps18-19 Champ
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Kobe is the closest. But I don't think he'll win another one.

I think the next player to win 6 rings isn't in the league yet.

RaiderLakersA's
08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Damn, when will this generation ever learn that it's not about the individual???

If the owners get what they want, the team that is young, has a winning formula and is currently competitive is the most likely to win 6 rings.

Surely, Kobe has a chance, if the Lakers turn out to have a winning system under the new head coach. But then again, Kobe's Lakers have a head start, don't they? If not...

...look to teams like the Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Trailblazers, and possibly even the Grizzlies to be the next multi-title winning teams. Will they get 6? Only time will tell.

ackar
08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Barring Kobe in next three seasons I do not see anyone approaching meaning getting three titles in the next fives years let alone getting six in the next ten years. People need to realize how hard that is to do. It is hard enough to repeat let alone do something like multiple championships in a short span.

DR_1
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Kobe is the closest. But I don't think he'll win another one.

I think the next player to win 6 rings isn't in the league yet.

This

Hawkeye15
08-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Fair enough, but when comparing great players with similar stats, and rings come into play, they are a large factor. Obviously T-mac (no rings) is better than Fisher, but you are kidding yourself if you say rings are not a huge factor for why some are better than others. Even outside of basketball this holds water, say Marino vs peyton manning, the fact that peyton has a ring does a lot more for his legacy than if he didn't. I'm not going to get into why rings are important to an athlete greatness, but we all know for better or worse people look at the greats and many times rank them based on their titles, especially if they were "the man" on their team. Tell me with a straight face dirk's one ring didn't elevate him tremendously on the all time great list

I will give you this. If player A and player B have the exact same resume with the other 10 or so factors, than yes, rings matter. But my point is, rings are simply part of the equation. They are by no means the determining factor ever.

No, Dirk's ring did not elevate him to being a better player than he was last year. They simply gained him a few percentage points when factoring in everything else. He didn't jump 10 spots in all time rankings because his team won a championship. Measuring championships for individuals only works in a sport like tennis. Not a team sport. Otherwise Bill Russell would be the GOAT, and it wouldn't even be close.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
also, the kobe mj thing was just an example. In no way do i think kobe can do anything in his career to outdo mj at this point. I was just using it to set up the question

I never got the impression you were dude. No worries

ManRam
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Kobe is the only answer here that isn't going out on a limb...

Anyone else, well, it's nothing more than a shear guess.

I don't think we'll see one in a long time either. The league is changing and won't be conducive towards a player staying on one team and winning and winning and winning some more.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Damn, when will this generation ever learn that it's not about the individual???

If the owners get what they want, the team that is young, has a winning formula and is currently competitive is the most likely to win 6 rings.

Surely, Kobe has a chance, if the Lakers turn out to have a winning system under the new head coach. But then again, Kobe's Lakers have a head start, don't they? If not...

...look to teams like the Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Trailblazers, and possibly even the Grizzlies to be the next multi-title winning teams. Will they get 6? Only time will tell.

all good points.

Bigbadmoffo
08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I see the Clippers elevating there chances at titles and a guy Like Griffin who is so underrated might have a chance a 3 or more.

llemon
08-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Zahbnegdon Yzezenforyad, unless Kobe, Derek Fisher, Tim Duncan or Manu decide to be Title chasers.

Tony Parker has the best chance of achieving it as a true contributor.

Or Wade, depending on the new CBA

NYKalltheway
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
ask this in 15 years time when a 2025 draft top 5 prospect wins 2 in a row ;)

hard_candy
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Kevin Durant.

NYKalltheway
08-14-2011, 10:08 PM

You have just summed up the NBA's biggest problems in 2 small paragraphs

WadeKobe
08-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I kinda disagree. I think it will be tough, BUT people are only going to be thinking about big names here. Someone will pull a Robert Horry and just be in the right place at the right time eventually.

But he wasn't in the "right place at the right time". 3 of his 7 came during a 3-peat with a loaded roster which featured 2 of the top 3 players in the league. His last two came on a pretty stacked roster with the other one of the best 3, and he was highly sought after because of his shot-making abilities which he'd never have proven if he hadn't played on a three-peat team.

No way Horry gets 7 in a hard-capped league. Horry benefitted from stacked teams as much as anyone else who won 5+.

No one cares about the league anymore because there are only 6 teams that have a shot, and most of the league is below .500. Why should they? Owners are losing money because of it, and they're too proud to admit contraction is a necessity.

Therefore, they'll sit on their assets making money other ways insisting on a hard-cap until the players cave. If the owners cave, they lose money while the players make bank. No way they cave. This lock-out lasts until the hard-cap (or something similarly effective) is instituted, and it will change the face of this league, and will hurt Miami's chances of doing what we're trying to do. I hate admitting it, but it's just the facts on the ground at this point. Not really any way to dispute it. Sadly, when it happens, all the fans will get a lesser product (no teams will be as good as the Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, of bygone eras or the Heat now), with an artificial competition based on talent spread thin, the fans lose, and eventually the owners may lose when the fans give up on the NBA entirely.

There will be a hard cap, and I don't see anyone winning 5+ again, ever. If they do, it will be sheer luck.

Edited to Add: Clearly Kobe has a chance, but I was thinking after Kobe. He benefitted from the current CBA. No one else has a prayer.

ne3xchamps
08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
IMO it will never be done again, but if I had to bet on anyone, kobe would have the upper hand seeming how he has 5.

IndiansFan337
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
LeBron has the best shot. I think the Heat will win 4-6 championships with their "Big 3" core.

lol, please
08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Monta Ellis

Yankee Clipper
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

GoPacers33
08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Kobe if they can get Dh12

Dr.J>YOU
08-14-2011, 11:16 PM

This is what happens when you play for the Lakers. Had he played for the Mavericks he wouldn't have had more than 1 ring.

MrfadeawayJB
08-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Obviously Kobe has a good shot. Even if it isn't as the number 1 guy, he can try and ring chase to get one more... although I really doubt that happens. Guy will retire a Laker.

I agree Kobe has the best shot of anyone in the league. I just dont think this player is even in the NBA at this point. However if Dwight somehow finds his way into a laker uniform, Kobe will get #6 easily.

tr3ymill3r
08-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Whoever the next Robert Horry is.

LakersMaster24
08-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Honestly, the most realistic one is Kobe...just 1 ring to go, and his team has a good chance of winning the title.

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 03:10 AM
there are only TWO options in between solid nba players ( for all we know kemba walker, or ricky rubio could win 6 but that is 15 years away from now)

the ages of the pausl, howards, lebrons dont hint to 6 precisely.

so as i said there are only TWO options

1 Kobe

2 Duncan ; spurs can maybe make a last hurray on a shortened lockout season and i dont discard him joining the mavs, or lakers or whatever after the season to try to collect more rings.

LakersMaster24
08-15-2011, 03:32 AM
there are only TWO options in between solid nba players ( for all we know kemba walker, or ricky rubio could win 6 but that is 15 years away from now)

1 Kobe

2 Duncan ; spurs can maybe make a last hurray on a shortened lockout season and i dont discard him joining the mavs, or lakers or whatever after the season to try to collect more rings.

I doubt Duncan would ever leave San Antonio. Players like him just dont do that...he will stay with San Antonio for another year or two and then retire.

85BearsDefense
08-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Scal!!!! all he does is go to contenders....

Lakers + Giants
08-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Kobe, if not then Bynum. He already has 2, he's only 23 and has a long time left to collect rings. Just have a good PG playing with Drew and BAM!

alencp3
08-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Blake Griffin & Eric Gordon

Book it

ragee
08-15-2011, 08:31 AM
If the Lakers could find a way to get Dwight, the answer would be Kobe...

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Kobe will get it done but after him its pretty shaky. If Dwight even improves slightly I can see him leading a team to multiple rings but Im not so sure about 6. Playing a major role in 6 rings is pretty special territory....

Also if you think the new cba has anything to do with "competitiveness" or "balancing out the talent" you are sadly mistaken. Its all about the money, that was just a cheap ploy to get the fans that are sick of seeing their team never win on their side.....

xM1GSx
08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Kobe

Kobes a Killer
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Kobe

albertc86
08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Kobe. But, after that, no one in the NBA currently.

albertc86
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM

1 Kobe

Ricky Rubio? Lmao. He hasn't even suited up yet. Your European biased got old a long time ago, dude. Drop it already.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Me

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Ricky Rubio? Lmao. He hasn't even suited up yet. Your European biased got old a long time ago, dude. Drop it already.

you didnt understand that part of the post at all.

and btw what is getting old is people attacking me for being european and thinking everything i say is based in european bias.

Dade County
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Wade, lbj, James Posey if he comes back to the HEAT :)

Kobe window has closed, and to all a goodnight!

LAKERMANIA
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Since Kobe has 5 and he has another possible 2-3 attempts left, I'm going with Kobe..

SteBO
08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Since Kobe has 5 and he has another possible 2-3 attempts left, I'm going with Kobe..
This is the most logical and realistic answer out there.

albertc86
08-15-2011, 06:15 PM
you didnt understand that part of the post at all.

and btw what is getting old is people attacking me for being european and thinking everything i say is based in european bias.

You aren't attacked for being European. Your posts are criticized because you can't help but drop a European player's name every other post. Honestly... Was Rubio's name worth mentioning? No. Hasn't even played a second in the NBA.

Bravo95
08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Bryant.

thedfactor
08-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Not looking bright for anyone, but if the Thunder would deal Westbrook for Chris Paul I think Oklahoma City has a better shot at getting Durant his first title and possibly more from there on.

RZZZA
08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
You aren't attacked for being European. Your posts are criticized because you can't help but drop a European player's name every other post. Honestly... Was Rubio's name worth mentioning? No. Hasn't even played a second in the NBA.

neither has Kemba Walker, and he mentioned him too. Are you just mad he used 1 European player as an example instead of 2 Americans?

smith&wesson
08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
obviously kobe. he just needs to win one more.

WadeKobe
08-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Kobe will get it done but after him its pretty shaky. If Dwight even improves slightly I can see him leading a team to multiple rings but Im not so sure about 6. Playing a major role in 6 rings is pretty special territory....

Also if you think the new cba has anything to do with "competitiveness" or "balancing out the talent" you are sadly mistaken. Its all about the money, that was just a cheap ploy to get the fans that are sick of seeing their team never win on their side.....

:facepalm: Such a FAIL.

Without a hard-cap, money=talent, and more money=more talent. Therefore teams in small markets do not make enough money to pay enough money to compete for talent with teams like Los Angeles and Boston.

So they lose money when they pay enough to try to keep enough talent to win.

Of course it's about money! If you were running a business and losing money under the current system, you'd want to change it, too!

The Owners and players have both tried to load the deck... but anytime you cheat you get caught - eventually. And you lose.

Both the players and the league's time has come. The emperor has no clothes on. The league doesn't have the talent to field 30 decent teams, or even 15 good ones. They need contraction, and a bunch of owners made a bad business decision by trying to get into a league which didn't have enough resources (talented players) to support them.

The players have been banking off of the system because guys like Joe Johnson's value is inflated in a league where there is so little talent and so many teams that he is indeed a #1 option, and ends up getting paid like one.

But, instead of admitting their failure, the owners will try one last time to load the deck in their favor with a new CBA because they know they hold the cards currently. Guys like Joe Johnson are not worth $16mil a year, and they are not going to let Los Angeles and Boston tell them that they are anymore.

But, eventually they'll be exposed when the fans holding the money receive the watered down product of 30 teams who are on an even playing field in a league with barely enough talent to field 15 good teams.

Then the fans will give up... and the NBA will come crumbling down. Without contraction, it is only a matter of delaying the inevitable at this point.

WadeKobe
08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Wade, lbj, James Posey if he comes back to the HEAT :)

Kobe window has closed, and to all a goodnight!

How has Kobe's window closed? I don't think they stand a good chance the next year we have, but 2 or 3 seasons down the road? Why not? He'll get another shot or 2.

3mikee_
08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Demar Derozan & Jonas Valanciunas will be the greatest one two punch in NBA history.

GREATNESS ONE
08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Kobe will get 7.

Bruno
08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Nobody is close to Duncan or Kobe still. If the Lakers can't get another during the Kobe era, it will take years (7-10) at least until another young guy comes and challenges the six mark.

mRc08
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
interesting points people...i like what wade>kobe is saying here

Chacarron
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
neither has Kemba Walker, and he mentioned him too. Are you just mad he used 1 European player as an example instead of 2 Americans?

Boom roasted.

Youmad?
08-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Kobe if they can get Dh12

Doesn't matter the lakers can win with who they have now only problem is if they can stay healthy?

Sly Guy
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM

this will affect how many players accomplish the feat, but I still think the chance exists that a player in the future might be able to do it.

Of the current crop tho? I don't see any team that will be dynasically dominant to the point of making it happen now.

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 09:04 PM

and ou still not get it.

i wanted to mention TWO rookies to mark a point about " we dont know wtf will the future bring, so the only logical choices are the players with 1 and 2 rings to go, kobe and tim"

so, i mentioned two rookies, the first two that popped in my mind, Kemba walker and Rubio.

big deal that one of the two first rookies that came to my mind was a fellow countryman uh?

I wonder if you would give **** if some american poster decided to name the first two rookies that poped out of their mind and one of them had played college in his area....

and btw if a thread is about best shooters ever im gonna drop Dirk out here, if its bout best passing big men im gonna trhow sabonis and pau out there, it is bout fundamentals im gonna drop Pau there, if its bout killier mentality im gonna drop petrovic there, if its bout white dudes jumping im gonna drop Manu out there adn so on and on, because they BELONG in such conversations like it or not.

albertc86
08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I wonder if you would give **** if some american poster decided to name the first two rookies that poped out of their mind and one of them had played college in his area....

You know it's not the same so don't equate the two. For obvious reasons.

and btw if a thread is about best shooters ever im gonna drop Dirk out here, if its bout best passing big men im gonna trhow sabonis and pau out there, it is bout fundamentals im gonna drop Pau there, if its bout killier mentality im gonna drop petrovic there, if its bout white dudes jumping im gonna drop Manu out there adn so on and on, because they BELONG in such conversations like it or not.

Lol. Bs. I guarantee you I can pull up a thread of yours for each of the categories you mentioned along with a European player's name. You're on a roll today...

Hellcrooner
08-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Lol. Bs. I guarantee you I can pull up a thread of yours for each of the categories you mentioned along with a European player's name. You're on a roll today...

? you definetly not understand what i say.

and how woudl that not be the same btw?

mavwar53
08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Jesus

theheatles
08-15-2011, 10:45 PM
marshon brooks

marj987
08-16-2011, 05:42 AM
If the Thunder can get about 2 more defensive players, then I'd say Durant, if Gasol can get the dick out of his vagina I'd say Kobe, and (Just throwing this out there) if Boozer stop playing like a ******** gay Bargs then the Bulls can make a push for at least two, but I doubt Boozer stays there long if he keeps playing like he's afriad to rebound.

WadeKobe
08-16-2011, 07:11 AM

You're so dumb. Yes it is exactly the same. They equate. He named two different players who have both never played a game in the NBA.

You got mad that he'd mentioned a European who'd never played a game. :facepalm:

All that matters is he mentioned two players who have never played a game. He could have said any 2 players, and it'd be the same. Why do you care so much that he mentioned a European.

And yes... if I mentioned some rookie who went to college at a school in Chicago like I did, it'd be the same as him mentioning a European guy. Exactly the same.

What are you on today? Get off the guy's case. You sound obnoxiously stupid at the moment.