PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson to return?

naps
08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
We've been down this road before. Pretty much the exact same report from the exact same source. Is Phil Jackson already thinking about an NBA return, specifically with his old team, the Knicks?

That's what the New York Post says.

Sources have told The Post that Jackson could come back to the NBA, with New York being an option. Sources say Jackson has not been approached by Dolan. Jackson was on the Knicks' two title-winning teams and his girlfriend, Lakers VP Jeanie Buss, often travels to New York on business. Sources say Jackson's hip and knee issues would not be the deciding factor. Jackson turns 66 next month.

What this very well could be is not a separate report by the paper, but just reciting the previous one in a story about Jackson at last night's Hall of Fame ceremonies. Either way, at this point, it seems like it would be somewhat of a longshot. If Jackson's thinking about a New York return, he's doing it all while taking little jabs at his potential future boss.

At last night's ceremony, Jackson joked, "Im going to rewrite Knicks owner Jimmy Dolan's song ‘Fix the Knicks‘. I think he needs either a better lyricist or a better musician.” Zing.

At his retirement press conference, Jackson said, "All my hopes and aspirations are this is the final game I'll coach. This has been a wonderful run." Which obviously makes it seem as if he's done.

But as if he was leaving the door open even more, when Jackson was asked about a potential return, instead of just saying, "Nope, it's over," he left us all with a little curiousity. “I’ll know in October, November, December, January or February, whenever they start the season, what it’s like to be without ball again,” he said. Doesn't exactly sound like a guy totally intent on staying retired.

Then again, Jackson has always gotten a kick out of playing coy with the media, so he could just be messing around with everyone. He can't play mind games on Kevin Durant and LeBron James anymore so now he's doing it to us. Dang it, Phil.

So maybe there'a bit of smoke to the Knicks stuff. IF Jackson were to come back, it's the completely natural and sensible place for him to return. Jackson is very good friends with Bill Bradley, who is closely connected to the Knicks and Jackson played the majority of his 13-year NBA career with the Knicks as a fan favorite. He was part of the Knicks' two NBA championships.

Mike D'Antoni might not last much longer if the Knicks don't turn it around and you know Dolan is at least going to call Jackson. From that point, it'll simply be up to the Zen Master -- and likely his hips and back -- as to if he's really done or not.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/31296660

Do you guys think he will eventually make a comeback or you think he's done?
How would that affect the league if he returned to the Knicks?
As a basketball fan, do you want him to back? If so then what role (Coach/President/GM) do you think will be better for him in the Knicks?

NBA_Starter
08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
He's done this time!

naps
08-15-2011, 02:18 AM
He's done this time!

I thought so. But now that the Knicks have a good team and the anticipation of bringing a championship in New York after so long might just make him think twice. I mean if they somehow get CP3 or Dwight they'll be a serious contender.

LAKERMANIA
08-15-2011, 02:32 AM
He could, but I personally think he's done...

DodgerBulls
08-15-2011, 02:44 AM
I always tell myself that Phil is not yet done. I think he'll come back only as a GM though. Which team? I only see Bulls, Knicks, or Lakers. I just don't think he will ever want to own a team.

LakersMaster24
08-15-2011, 02:50 AM
I think he is done...its not about having a better team for him. Even Kobe said, that the traveling and the amount of energy spend during the regular season is just too much for Phil...I think its his health that prevents him from coaching.

Crackadalic
08-15-2011, 02:53 AM
If Mike dont pan out I would Love Phil to coach the knicks

naps
08-15-2011, 03:27 AM
If Mike dont pan out I would Love Phil to coach the knicks

I don't Mike would be a factor if Phil Jackson wants to make a return. I personally think PJ can pick any position he wants on the Knikcs, but may be that's just me.

Cal827
08-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Phil Jackson: Biggest Bandwagoner in NBA history.

Anyways all jokes aside, he is able to put all-stars in their place.. New York could potentially have a Melo-CP3-Amar'e or Howard-Melo-Amar'e combo after 2012. Probably the best possible option, to get them to put aside their respective egos (Melo) and mesh. But I guess we'll see. D'Antoni isn't THAT bad... just needs some defensive minded players.

Dr.J>YOU
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Let's see if he can win with Amare and Carmelo.

nycericanguy
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
It would make sense him wanting to finish his career in NY, especially if CP3 joins Amare & Melo. I think Phil would be the final piece.

Def possible, especially with Mike's contract expiring in less than a year.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think he's coming back.

Though it would be a slap in the face to Lakers fans if he did join the Knicks.

jrm2054
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
i think he is done

nycsports2
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
doubt it... but i hope for us cuz dantoni sux

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I think he is done...its not about having a better team for him. Even Kobe said, that the traveling and the amount of energy spend during the regular season is just too much for Phil...I think its his health that prevents him from coaching.

This is the part that people don't understand. Physically he just can't do it anymore, if he could he would've stayed. He bairly came back last year but he couldn't walk away from the shot at another 3 peat.....

LosDoyers1
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I think he's done, but after what happened in this year's playoffs, I'd want to come back if I were him. To go out like that is definitely not what he signed up for.

Sly Guy
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
I expect him to be back. He's as big a bandwagon jumper as I've ever seen in a coach.

Tony_Starks
08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I expect him to be back. He's as big a bandwagon jumper as I've ever seen in a coach.

Please explain which bandwagon he jumped on when he signed up to coach the likes of Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Brian Cook, Devean George, Sasha and Luke Walton?

oak2455
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Please explain which bandwagon he jumped on when he signed up to coach the likes of Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Brian Cook, Devean George, Sasha and Luke Walton?

Good palyers HOF'S:rolleyes:

strahan92osi72
08-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I think he'll go to the Knicks, as a GM though. I think he is done with coaching at this stage, but he wants to go into the GM box and build his own team, ala Pat Riley. I think he'll hire his own young coach who has potential.

Sly Guy
08-15-2011, 10:48 PM

easily explained. Hefty contract extension and pay raise. $6mil to $10+mil

Any other time, he's had multiple all stars, or multiple 50 greatest all time players on his roster.

Cal827
08-15-2011, 10:58 PM

LOL.

Only if you can explain what it means when you leave a team when the GOAT retires... or when three of 4 of the greatest players of all time (Payton, Malone, Shaq) on one team decide to want out :D