PDA

View Full Version : Pocono Raceway trimming 100 miles off its races in 2012

NASCAR Diva#3
08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
In 2012, race fans can count on two 400-mile races at Pocono Raceway.

Love it or hate it, it's just another step in the raceway's bid to be successful.

Who pulled the plug on a 500-mile race? Good luck getting a straight forward answer there. About eight years ago NASCAR drivers lined up one-by-one nearly chanting in unison complaining that the race was too long.

The media took the bait and ran story after story of what the drivers said, pleading for a shorter race. When the teams came back to Pocono later that summer, drivers clammed up like it was Sunday morning services.

Obviously NASCAR dropped the hammer and told them to pipe down.

On Wednesday Pocono Raceway president Brandon Igdalsky announced that the track was cutting 100 miles off its length.

"The 400 mile distance will make NASCAR racing at Pocono even more exciting," Igdalsky said in a statement.

Really?

Igdalsky is a smart guy, so if he says 400 miles is better than 500, I'll listen to the argument. And then I'll question whether I believe it or not.

But you're left to ask, is there a connection between the retirement of owner Joseph Mattioli, announced on Friday, and the 400-mile news five days later? Maybe, maybe not.

Remember, there's been big changes at the track since Igdalsky the Mattiolis' grandson has had increasing say in the future of the 2.5-mile triangle, which hosts two NASCAR races each year.

Think about the last five years alone as Igdalsky's role has been increasingly prominent. The raceway has built a solar farm the first of its kind at any NASCAR track. They've invested almost $3 million in safer barriers and new catch fencing in the last year alone.

But the shocking change came last year when Pocono started drawing sponsors for its races something Doc Mattioli often said publicly would never happen.

"I don't need the money and if you don't need the money, what the hell is the sense of sponsorship?" Mattioli told the Associated Press in 2009. "We call all the shots. All the VIPs on race day are our people, not the sponsor's people."

In June 2010, Igdalsky and the raceway changed course. The June 2010 race was sponsored and called the Gillette Fusion ProGlide 500, and each race since has had a sponsor as well.

And then there's the 100-mile trim announced Wednesday. Mattioli was not in the mood to discuss this topic either in 2009. And why should he, he's in the business to make money.

A hundred miles less means less concessions sold, less air time and less advertising revenue.

"How do you think my television people are going to feel? They're going to lose a whole hour of material," he said in 2009. "If it was something really logical why I should do it, I would do it. But not for the sake of pleasing a couple of auto racing writers."

Or maybe this time NASCAR was threatening more than a 100-mile trim?

Either way, Igdalsky has both hands on the wheel now. Pocono Raceway fans just hope the car can stay on the track.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110811/SPORTS/108110328

dynasty7961
08-13-2011, 06:11 AM
About time!

OC Knights #11
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah nothing wrong with this decision. Next up should be finding more interesting tracks for the future and cutting down the bore tracks; Michigan, Pocono, Texas, Kansas

MarkieMark48
08-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah nothing wrong with this decision. Next up should be finding more interesting tracks for the future and cutting down the bore tracks; Michigan, Pocono, Texas, Kansas

Thats all up to the track owners. Theres so much more to it than just saying, we are moving a race to a new track. Pocono isnt gonna lose a date anytime soon unless Doc Mattioli decides to sell to SMI or ISC, and even if he does sell it a second date would be added to one of the "cookie cutter" type race tracks, and none of the other tracks you named will lose a date any time soon either.

If anything I could see New Hampshire losing a race to Kentucky after Smith thinks hes got the traffic problem at Kentucky figured out, and maybe Iowa getting a race from an ISC track if they build more seating.

Bucsfan
08-25-2011, 03:24 AM
maybe there is a reason that I dont know, track size or whatever it may be, but I always wondered by road america and possibly laguna seca have never been used

I would like Nascar so much more with road courses, they would get more respect too

MarkieMark48
08-27-2011, 07:18 PM
maybe there is a reason that I dont know, track size or whatever it may be, but I always wondered by road america and possibly laguna seca have never been used

I would like Nascar so much more with road courses, they would get more respect too

I love road coarse racing. its takes a real skill to hustle a 3500lb stock car around one. Id like for them to add a street course, the one Izod Indy Cars are going to run in Baltimore next weekend looks like a perfect layout for a stock car