PDA

View Full Version : Stern believes we will have a season.

PacersForLife
08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
NBA commissioner David Stern tells The Boston Globe that he is still expecting the owners and players to come to an agreement so the 2011-12 season won't be canceled.

"I expect that we'll make a deal because the alternative is very destructive," Stern said. "Its destructive of $2 billion worth of player salaries and it's destructive most important to our fans of the game. And if it spirals badly, everyone gets hurt. But in some ways I worry, because the players have more to lose, especially those in the later stages of their career. So we're going to do everything we can when the rhetoric slows down to get this thing back on track."

Last week NBPA executive director Billy Hunter said he wouldn't be surprised if the 2011-12 season is lost due to the impasse with the owners.

m26555
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
This is what I've been thinking all along. There is way too much money on the line for the NBA to blow this.

PacersForLife
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah me too, its way too costly to lose the season. I believe we will have at least part of a season. I am actually starting to get interested in football and thats not good...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Good newz. :D

GoPacers33
08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
:pray::pray:

Rego247
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Don't tease me David.

Shmontaine
08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
very destructive to stern's reputation and income... it's not up to stern... this is owners vs. players... stern represents the owners interests, while trying to keep the players happy... he's stuck in the worst position, the middle...

SteBO
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Both sides won't feel pressure until October/November starts to roll around. There's still so much time to settle things, but Stern is the puppet in this ordeal. Shmontaine summed that up already.

DaoudS
08-12-2011, 02:27 PM
He is saying it to save his own ***. Still lots of posturing, nothing will start to happen until regular season games are actually lost.

Geargo Wallace
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
David is such a little rascal

ChaseHamels
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Didn't know you'd be suiting up in 2011 PacersForLife.

Stern believes the NBA will have a season.

/fixed

DwayneMVPwade
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
hopefully he is speaking the truth

Rivera
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
i dont believe him....there isnt many meetings between the nba and nbapa they still have the same issues and they are still miles apart

he is supposed to say this to win the PR battle but if you believe there will be a season some of you are nuts....at the most we have another 50 game season and im being generious

GodsSon
08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
What else is he supposed to say?

mttwlsn16
08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
lies

Bubba313
08-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Even if he is posturing... That was some damn good posturing

iggypop123
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
hunter" we might look publicly like we are willing to lose the season but we have dumbasses that wast their money on weed and cars (im looking at you bealey)so we'll try our hardest not to cave"
STern: " i got the tea party on my side, these *****es aint caving, once you guys dont have a paycheck you will crawl to my throne and will ask for mercy"

PacersForLife
08-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Didn't know you'd be suiting up in 2011 PacersForLife.

Stern believes the NBA will have a season.

/fixed

Oh, I'm sorry sir. Stern believes THE NBA will have a season next year. Is that better?
:ohno:

CHANGO
08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Fisher said that too in George Lopez.

Hawkeye15
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't believe him. I think at best, we should hope for a 50 game season. The owners are ready for this. They are not going to bend until the players start getting into the season with no paychecks. Hell, many small market teams are already saying they would fully support the season being canceled. The bigger market contenders that actually make money are the only ones that will feel pressure.

I would be very surprised if there is a season. The owners are in a "take it or leave it" mode right now, and I see no sense of urgency on their part to compromise. The players meanwhile are not instigating any conversation either. This is going to be a long, bad lockout guys

Kashmir13579
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Talk is cheap.

Kashmir13579
08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't believe him. I think at best, we should hope for a 50 game season. The owners are ready for this. They are not going to bend until the players start getting into the season with no paychecks. Hell, many small market teams are already saying they would fully support the season being canceled. The bigger market contenders that actually make money are the only ones that will feel pressure.

I would be very surprised if there is a season. The owners are in a "take it or leave it" mode right now, and I see no sense of urgency on their part to compromise. The players meanwhile are not instigating any conversation either. This is going to be a long, bad lockout guys

ughhhh.... I put more weight into what you say than Stern.

Rivera
08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
ughhhh.... I put more weight into what you say than Stern.

but he only copied me and said it in a better way :shrug:

i dont believe him....there isnt many meetings between the nba and nbapa they still have the same issues and they are still miles apart

he is supposed to say this to win the PR battle but if you believe there will be a season some of you are nuts....at the most we have another 50 game season and im being generious

Ezio
08-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Too much money is going to be lost if they isn't fixed, also wasn't basketball ratings going up?

Hawkeye15
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
but he only copied me and said it in a better way :shrug:

I didn't even read your post. I agree, but I think there is even more detail than you eluded to. Besides, I would never copy you :)

Rivera
08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I didn't even read your post. I agree, but I think there is even more detail than you eluded to. Besides, I would never copy you :)

are you sure you wouldnt copy me :eyebrow:

oh yea i know i was trying to be short and sweet..there is no way we are having an NBA season....50 games at best and we would be lucky for that...there are only 3 owners i would trust that actually want to get this done...

1) Mark Cuban

2) Michael Jordan

3) Mickey Arison

Hawkeye15
08-12-2011, 06:05 PM

maybe back when you were a young student of mine and had me in your signature, but not now. You are like the student that I let loose after years of training that went bad hahaha

Rivera
08-12-2011, 06:40 PM
maybe back when you were a young student of mine and had me in your signature, but not now. You are like the student that I let loose after years of training that went bad hahaha

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ewmania
08-12-2011, 08:56 PM
lies... ALL LIESSS!!! (austin powers style)

Cal827
08-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I think that Stern had tried what was in Beasley's baggie.

The Owners don't really seem to care about making this work.... Maybe they'll try to negotiate if one guy goes overseas and suffers a bad injury.

RLundi
08-12-2011, 09:12 PM
What was he supposed to say, no?

It's his job to be the face of optimism and it's Hunter's job to paint a bleak picture. But when it's all said and done, I think there will be an NBA season of about 60 games beginning in late December.

PacersForLife
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM

oh yea i know i was trying to be short and sweet..there is no way we are having an NBA season....50 games at best and we would be lucky for that...there are only 3 owners i would trust that actually want to get this done...

1) Mark Cuban

2) Michael Jordan

3) Mickey Arison

I would think Larry Bird would want it to end as well, the Pacers have money to blow and excited to see what we can do.

llemon
08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I would think Larry Bird would want it to end as well, the Pacers have money to blow and excited to see what we can do.

Don't believe Bird owns the Pacers

PacersForLife
08-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Don't believe Bird owns the Pacers

Yeah my bad, Herb Simon and Bird probably both want it to end, nobody thinks of Herb Simon when it comes to the Pacers though. Only reason I said Bird.

beasted86
08-13-2011, 04:37 PM

So why don't you think the profit teams will try and force the issue to get a deal done?

beasted86
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM

What? The Pacers have been losing money forever. They for sure want a more reasonable deal more than anything. The Pacers aren't exactly in win now mode.