PDA

View Full Version : Jays Unlikely To Sign First Rounder Beede?

Lawtonis
08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/blue-jays-unlikely-to-sign-first-rounder-beede.html#disqus_thread

I hope this isn't true. However AA could have done this on purpose. Effectively deferring a draft pick next year and creating 2 first round picks in a stronger draft class.... could AA see this as a WIN-WIN???? either get a player that should have went higher or defer the pick to a stronger draft class.........

dunedinjays
08-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Don't follow the draft much, but pretty sure everyone said this was one of the strongest draft classes in quite a few years so I don't know how much "stronger" next year's class is.

Krylian
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Next years draft class is not stronger. Not even close. The Top pick for next year likely would've gone in the 5-10 spot this year.

Also, if AA was going to do this, he would've done it last year, with McGuire, and gotten an extra 1st rounder this year.

And add to that, the pick would not be protected next year, meaning the guy either gets signed, or you don't get another pick again.

If Beede doesn't sign, the situation is not improved next year by any means.

1hardcore
08-12-2011, 12:44 AM
oh wells.....

ThunderZubb
08-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Honestly I don't believe this rumor until the end of August 16, 2011 than I will believe that he did not sign. Well I think that this is a smokescreen because a couple months there was speculation that Beede had a prearrangement that he agreed on a contract. I believe the jays signed Beede and they would wait the last minute to announce the signing because the jays don't want to get investigated by MLB for this thing. Jays had a rough year of all these accusations on so many things this year by Jose taking Steroids and blamed twice of steal signals this year. I think that AA wants to play it like he never had agreement with Beede a couple months ago so I think we got Beede signed hopefully lol

JaysFan87
08-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Lets all wait till August 15th before we see who really signs and doesn't.

T.O.Bombinators
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
In AA I trust, im not worried about any rumors until deadline day when we know what happens for sure

GNick
08-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Hard to believe we end up with no first round pick out of this deep draft.

T.O. Fan
08-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Jim Callis

Source told me he thinks it's not that dire @jaypers413: Reported by Mayo that Beede looks unlikely to sign w/#BlueJays. Thoughts? #mlbdraft

https://twitter.com/#!/jimcallisBA/statuses/101828712831516672

Klaw

Sure it was. Or they are trying to avoid an investigation. "@supermatt1331: @keithlaw sounds like pre draft deal with beede was false"

https://twitter.com/#!/keithlaw/statuses/101829466057228289

wamco
08-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Lets all wait till August 15th before we see who really signs and doesn't.

nice to see you still trotting out this line even after the debacle a few years back where you were saying the same thing.

heusy_79
08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm going to stick with my gut feeling, that he's going to sign. That's how I've felt since the draft and I'll stick with that attitude til after we know something official either way.

GrantHustle
08-12-2011, 08:14 PM
didnt like the Beede pick in the draft sounded like a baby....and so far he's proving it... so don't really care if we sign him....get a draft pick next year...plus we got ALOT of good young arms so its ok if he doesnt sign

dunedinjays
08-12-2011, 08:16 PM
didnt like the Beede pick in the draft sounded like a baby....and so far he's proving it... so don't really care if we sign him....get a draft pick next year...plus we got ALOT of good young arms so its ok if he doesnt sign

Sounded like a baby? He told everyone he had a strong commit to Vanderbilt before the draft. I don't see anything wrong with that. If he ends up going there, its the Jays fault for taking that risk.

GrantHustle
08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
If said pitcher has such a strong commitment (thats how you spell it by the way) then don't enter the draft? he's holding out for 4 million plus its all about the money so acting like a baby just like Zaunie said in the pre-game

heusy_79
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Who cares how many good young arms we have already? From the scouting reports this kid might arguably be the best we'd have, at least in that age range.

GrantHustle
08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
cause i don't really care about him signing?....him signing or not is not going to affect my life ...if he doesnt sign im not gonna be mad about it and if he signs i could really care less ....we have alot of young arms that are in the system so im not worried about one kid who might or might not make it too the majors

T.O. Fan
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Rumor had it that there was no chance in the Jays signing Thon last year.

dunedinjays
08-12-2011, 09:44 PM
If said pitcher has such a strong commitment (thats how you spell it by the way) then don't enter the draft? he's holding out for 4 million plus its all about the money so acting like a baby just like Zaunie said in the pre-game

Thats so stupid. You can easily go the other way. If he had such a strong commitment, why did the Jays draft him?

GrantHustle
08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Thats so stupid. You can easily go the other way. If he had such a strong commitment, why did the Jays draft him?

I don't know your the expert let me know?

Covert
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM
It is actually fairly common for high school players to write these letters to teams before the draft because it gives them leverage in negotiations.

JaysFan87
08-13-2011, 12:38 AM
nice to see you still trotting out this line even after the debacle a few years back where you were saying the same thing.

Again I'm going to reserve judgement until Aug 16th. I, like anyone with an ounce of baseball knowledge would know that signing all of Beede, Norris, and Comer would be very very hard to do. IN fact many prominent scouts said if they signed 2/3 would be a very good accomplishment for the organization. With high prized prospects also come high risk. There is a reason why these guys are hard to sign, in a few years all of them could be top 10 or even top 5 picks so essential if you sign them its like your getting a top pick in the the future drafts. Would it be disappointing not to sign Beede sure. BUt if they end up getting both Comer and Norris to sign then I like many other would be ecstatic.

As for you...you are just enjoy complaining about everything. YOu complain they are too cheap to draft high ceiling talent but then complain when they dont sign them. Well duh the reason why they are high ceiling talent and cost so much money is because they know they can be drafted higher in the future. But of course this goes over your head becasue of your rush to complain. And I know what your going to say in response...

"This organization is failure because they can't sign their picks....every team should be able to sign their picks....this team is too cheap....this team is going no where....I hate my life....."

Whatever, its cool....You are always going to ***** and complain about something so there is no point have a rational discussion with someone who defines irrational with every post they make.

By the by....The Yankees once drafted a High school arm with an electric fastball that some say reached 102 MPH. Everyone said that he would be a tough sign but they made the pick anyways. In the end they couldn't sign him even after they reportedly offered him upwards of 4M to sign (as a 28th pick in the draft that was a huge bump from slot). But had they did they would have gained an awesome player that some say could be a top 5-10 talent in the future draft. That player.........2011 First Round Pick, Gerrit Cole. While it didn't work out for them, it was worth the risk.

Unfortunately for you, this is beyond you.

scottythegreat1
08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
"Give me my 6 million dollars or Im going to college and Ill come back in the draft when Im done."

Thats basically what the first round pick is getting to be...a bunch of whiny children that we may or may not see get to the big leagues.

JaysFan87
08-13-2011, 09:32 AM
You can't blame them for using the flawed system MLB has created. Just like MLB can't blame teams for going over slot if they know they can.

ThunderZubb
08-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I am having a feeling that Beede and Norris is going to sign no freaking way AA would let this guys walk away because the way AA operates that he would not let this get away from him. AA has so much pride that he does not want to get ripped by the media and the fans so I think that he wants to prove that he is the man by having Ego that does not want to me known that he let this two guys walk away. AA likes challenges and everyone said that it would be a tough sign by drafting Beede and Norris so AA wants to prove people wrong that he can sign these players.

I have faith in AA and I Trust him so I think he will sign most of the Top 10 players he drafted.

Billyen
08-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I hope your "feeling" is correct.

A fact that keeps me hopeful is AA offered 23 mil for Chapman last year. So I think AA will spend and money is what Beede wants.

heusy_79
08-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I agree with Thunder, no way AA lets such talent away from him.

nstojic
08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
give him the money...

Perhaps it's just last-minute posturing, but Auburn's Tyler Beede said tonight he'll likely attend Vanderbilt University on a baseball scholarship rather than sign a pro contract with the Toronto Blue Jays, who picked him in the first round of the June draft.

Beede, a right-handed power pitcher who starred at Auburn High and Lawrence Academy, has until 11:59 p.m. Monday to make up his mind.

The Blue Jays reportedly have offered Beede a signing bonus in the neighborhood of $2 million to $3 million.

“We'll see if we come to an agreement, but right now it looks like school is going to be the choice,” said Beede, who would then start classes next week in Nashville, Tenn.

That could change if Toronto's latest contract offer, scheduled to be delivered to Beede's home tomorrow, is to his liking.

“Obviously, we're not that close on agreeing,” Beede said. “It's just tough to say right now.”

It's not uncommon for high draft picks — Beede was taken 21st overall — to wait until the last minute to make a decision, but most sign. Only four of last year's 32 first-round picks stayed in school.

If Beede attends Vanderbilt, he won't be eligible for the draft again until 2014.

“I respect that Vanderbilt education and I appreciate the opportunity they have given me with a free education and that's something I didn't take lightly,” Beede said. “We'll see here if (Toronto) really wants me. … It's going to be a long 24 or 48 hours.”

Beede admits to having changed his mind several times in the past weeks.

“We'll see what they offer and sit down with the family and decide,” he said. “It's been a crazy process. … The best thing is after the decision, I'm playing baseball in the SEC or I'm in pro ball playing against some of the best prospects in the country. It's win-win either way and I'll be happy with my decision.”

Beede acknowledged yesterday that he sent a letter to all major league teams before the draft informing them of his intention to go to college and asked that he not be selected. Beede insisted that the letter was not a negotiating tactic, but reflected his desire to compete for a national title at Vanderbilt.

“We thought it was going to go a little smoother,” Beede said. “We obviously valued the Vanderbilt education pretty highly and also valued myself. We really told teams that the letter we sent out was not a joke.

“At the beginning of the summer, we felt both sides were clear on what it was going to take. Obviously, it's gotten a little swayed and (Toronto) felt different.”

Beede said he isn't worried about giving up guaranteed money.

“If I go to school, I don't think I'm going to worry about where I get drafted or improving on my position or how much money I could have got when I was drafted this year,” Beede said. “It will be more thinking about getting that experience and trying to get better each year as a pitcher and as a person.

“The main goal if I go to college is to win a national championship. Vandy hasn't done it yet and I would be tremendously honored to win one for that university.”

For now, Beede is gearing up for what could be a hectic weekend of negotiating.

“We have a few more hours in this thing, so we're going to run it down to the deadline,” he said. “If something happens, something happens.”

Only one thing's certain, Beede said — that he'll wake up Tuesday satisfied with his decision.
“I know I'm going to be in the big leagues no matter what path I take,” he said. “God has a plan for me. I really think I'm going to be in the big leagues in five or six years whether it was going through college or the pros. It's only the beginning.”

link (link)

Bombtista
08-13-2011, 11:52 AM
He has changed his mind a few times over the last week so maybe they just caught him for the interview at time when he wanted school.

I dont get when kids do this. If he knows he is going to go to the big leagues like he mentioned why would you waste time in school instead of playing minor league ball which is really the best way to make it.

town123
08-13-2011, 12:00 PM
You would think that AA has Beede over a barrel, considering the downsides of not signing.

Beede's arm could fall off playing college ball. Zero coin.

A hard slot is instituted prior to his 2014 redraft. Possibly less coin.

Billyen
08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
give him the money...

link (link)

Thanks Nstojic...I was just about to post that myself.

Interesting bits I took from this...

“We'll see if we come to an agreement, but right now it looks like school is going to be the choice,” said Beede,
This is a total Boras line. He's been coached to say this.

“Obviously, we're not that close on agreeing,” Beede said. “It's just tough to say right now.”
The Oscar for best writing and acting goes to...

“We'll see here if (Toronto) really wants me. … It's going to be a long 24 or 48 hours.”
I tend to lose respect when kids talk like that. It's a bit rude to the Jays and City IMO.

“We thought it was going to go a little smoother,” Beede said.
This line saves the Jays from any pre-deal crap.

“At the beginning of the summer, we felt both sides were clear on what it was going to take. Obviously, it's gotten a little swayed and (Toronto) felt different.”
I take that back.

This is just a big poker game now. I think it's 51/49 he signs. However the shines come off the kid a bit by going to the media like this with 3 days left.

Billyen
08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
give him the money...

x every Jays fan.

ThunderZubb
08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Beede does not wanna sign with us than this kid should go back to School to get a education but when his arm blows out. Beede will be regretting not excepting the money was offered to him by the jays in the first place.

T.O. Fan
08-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the "predraft deal" Klaw reported on was the misunderstanding that was referred to in the article nstojic posted.

ThunderZubb
08-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Out of the 30 First round picks only 7 picks has signed already so there is 23 players in the first round has not signed yet so I am not to worried about Beede right now. I believe Beede will sign with the jays and I will not be shocked if he does not sign. Well #19 - Boston Red Sox - Matt Barnes and 24 - Tampa Bay Rays - Taylor Guerrieri has not signed yet so I am not too worried.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/8/10/2353809/mlb-draft-remaining-unsigned-1st-round-picks

KaiserSose
08-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Happy Tyler Beede Signing Day! I hope he signs sooner than later so I can focus on other things

Billyen
08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Happy Tyler Beede Signing Day! I hope he signs sooner than later so I can focus on other things

:D Happy Tyler Beede Signing Day to you too Kaiser! :)

KaiserSose
08-15-2011, 09:57 AM
:D Happy Tyler Beede Signing Day to you too Kaiser! :)

Thanks! u2. One of the few days of the year you and I can agree on something.

town123
08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
^^ AH Kaiser and Billyen.... our own little odd couple.

ThunderZubb
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Hopefully this kid signs because Beede has so much potential to be a number #1 starter in the near future for this team. I am crossing my fingers that Beede signs and also Norris because those two guys could be one of the very nice rotation of one and Two staters in the near future and looks like the future of the jays looks brighter than ever.

Beede
Norris
Alvarez
Molina

Very nice rotation in the future for the jays and who ever you wanna put out there in the rotation if both Norris and Beede signs.

Spiderdan22
08-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Hopefully this kid signs because Beede has so much potential to be a number #1 starter in the near future for this team. I am crossing my fingers that Beede signs and also Norris because those two guys could be one of the very nice rotation of one and Two staters in the near future and looks like the future of the jays looks brighter than ever.

Beede
Norris
Alvarez
Molina

Very nice rotation in the future for the jays and who ever you wanna put out there in the rotation if both Norris and Beede signs.

Assuming they all meet their potential?? Who was that dude who was drafted first overall the year Michael Jordan was drafted?? Or two words...RUSS...ADAMS

wamco
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=JaysFan87;18898737]Again I'm going to reserve judgement until Aug 16th.

-Actually you won't reserve judgement, you'll defend they jays if/when the signing does not occur. Predicitable.

I, like anyone with an ounce of baseball knowledge would know that signing all of Beede, Norris, and Comer would be very very hard to do.

=Actually, the jays are the ONLY team he can negotiate with and rave of a 140M payroll possibility so signing them which only costs money shouldn't be that difficult.

YOu complain they are too cheap to draft high ceiling talent but then complain when they dont sign them.

-Well Duh, every fan should be pissed about that. Only 3 1st round picks i believe weren't signed last year and 2 of them were because of serious medical reasons.

JaysFan87
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=JaysFan87;18898737]Again I'm going to reserve judgement until Aug 16th.

-Actually you won't reserve judgement, you'll defend they jays if/when the signing does not occur. Predicitable.

I, like anyone with an ounce of baseball knowledge would know that signing all of Beede, Norris, and Comer would be very very hard to do.

=Actually, the jays are the ONLY team he can negotiate with and rave of a 140M payroll possibility so signing them which only costs money shouldn't be that difficult.

YOu complain they are too cheap to draft high ceiling talent but then complain when they dont sign them.

-Well Duh, every fan should be pissed about that. Only 3 1st round picks i believe weren't signed last year and 2 of them were because of serious medical reasons.

Your quoting is ridiculously hard to follow. Its actually quite easy to learn. You should try it.

I'll defend or criticize when needed. But like I said before signing all three of Beede, Norris, Comer would be very difficult to do. And as it turns out they were able to sign 2/3 which is very good as all three of those guys were first round talents that fell due to signability issues. Am I upset that Beede didnt sign? of course who wouldn't as a fan I would have loved to see the farm system enhanced even more. A deeper farm systems means better chance that one of your prospects makes it and makes it easier to trade for established major leaguers. However, I unlike you realize that theses deals are not made in a vacuum and have consequences in the future. Yes I know what your going to say..."who cares its only money". Well, to you and I sure but at teh end of the day there is also budgets to work from and value you place on players. Whether you think u can make the player budge or not is up for debate and sometimes they wont. Norris adn Comer did, Beede didn't. Like I said all three are 1st round talents so I am happy with the outcome.

Again its not the first nor the last time a 1st round pick doesnt sign. Again the team that you say is cares and wants to win also drafted Gerrit Cole in the first round 3 years ago yet didn't sign him becasue he wanted too much money. Yet I dont hear you complain about that yet you say they know how to build a championship team. Seems like your talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I'm sure you are going to say something like "ohh they have won before so they can take the risks, the jays can't because they are rebuilding." To that I say...How the **** do you think they got to where they are???????