PDA

View Full Version : Is this lockout a great change to make the future happen NOW ? I.B.A

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Isnt it the Moment?
Declare the league over, make a new International Basketball League in wich the more profitable nba teams participate.
Make a Redraft of talent ( nba teams that remain get the right to retain ONE player)
I mean the lockout is about only a few teams making money and the rest losing money.
The world is an increasing market that is hurt because they dont ahve the best product, the world right now has like 15% of the best 200 players while nba has 85% of it.
Turkish and greek teams ahve made already offers but they cant offer the same kind of money than nba because the gate receipts, the sponsors, the tv rights money is not that high in europe because we dont ahve the top talent.

If im stern im thinking, why keep having losing teams where there are MANY CITIES in china and europe that if they actually were IN THE LEAGUE, with top talent would give profit.
If im Jerry buss im thinking, why keep nurturing the Bucks ( or any other) and having to lose some money if i can get PROFIT from having a team in London instead.
If im the president of a team in europe i woudl think, why keep getting so low a progfit when if i was in a bigger league with the most talent i woudl get TONS more money from tickets, tons of more money from sponsors, and tons of more money from tv while i offer a better product.
If im the owners i would wonder: why accept some new cba and still be responsible for all this bad contracts when we can FOLD the league, get some compensation if my team dissapears , or start a new with 0 money owed in a new league that may be much more profitable.

Travels? you can limit it by playing the BULK of the games on your own division and just ONCE A YEAR go on a month travel were you play 11 games vs teams of other conferences.

Something like this.

American division: 60 games between teams in ithe division 22 ( 11 home 11 on tour against the other Divisions)
1 Los Angeles
2 New York
3 Chicago
4 Toronto
5 Houston
6 Miami
7 Boston
8 Dallas
9 San Francisco
10 Philadelphia
11 Mexico DF
12 San Juan de Puerto Rico
13 Caracas
14 Sao Paulo
15 Rio de Janeiro
16 Buenos Aires.

Austral-Asian Division : 60 games between teams in it 22 ( 11 home 11 on tour against the other Divisions)
1 Sidney
2 Melbourne
3 Wellington
4 Tokyo
5 Kyoto
6 Yokohama
7 Manila
8 Beijing
9 Hong Kong
10 Shangai
11 GuangZhou
12 ShienZen
13 ChianJin
14 Singapore
15 Yakarta
16 Kuala Lumpur

European Division 60 games between teams in it 22 ( 11 home 11 on tour against the other Divisions)

1 Barcelona
2 Madrid
3 Paris
4 London
5 Milan
6 Rome
7 Berlin
8 Zagreb
9 Moscow
10 St Petersburg
11 Split
12 Lujbiana
13 Athens
14 Kaunas
15 Istambul
16 Belgrad

Top 5 of each division qualify for playoofs, the Best 6th seed qualifies for playoffs.

ChiSox219
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
The problem I see is players not wanting to live in certain (most) foreign countries.

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 11:22 PM
The problem I see is players not wanting to live in certain (most) foreign countries.

well you can be certain that some players in nba HATE and LOATHE the cities they get drafted to, but not only are they forced to live there for 5 years but then the team has the RFA right to keep them there for another 7 years.
Not a big difference in my book.

You got Drafted by Caracas? well you go to Caracas end of the story.

JLynn943
08-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Travel expenses would be insane for the teams

Bishnoff
08-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice idea but can you imagine how difficult this would be to implement? As an Australian I can tell you that even with NBA-International calibre players playing in Australia, the interest level (and thus the profit) would be too low to justify the investment. I’m sure that there are plenty more countries that would fall into this category.

Furthermore, the logistics would be crazy and the league would represent something similar to the EUFA Champions League with games every week at best. That model doesn’t suit a game such as Basketball where the players can handle a much higher volume of games, and the fan-base expect games to be played on a regular basis (multiple games a week).

Law25
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I dont know if its the lockout and the fear of possibly losing professional basketball for an extended period of time, but i like this idea.

Chronz
08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
One step at a time, the divisions wouldnt be THAT huge, most of the teams would still reside in America but I think its possible for teams to go on a Euro Trip.

Chronz
08-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Yea scrap the idea of a redraft but let some of the big markets outside the US participate. Travel wouldnt be a problem if teams played against all the Euro teams on a single trip.

RZZZA
08-11-2011, 11:48 PM
there's probably an easier and more painless solution than that.

and by probably, I mean definitely. just re-negotiate the CBA.

beasted86
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
there's probably an easier and more painless solution than that.

and by probably, I mean definitely. just re-negotiate the CBA.

This.

Raptor4life
08-12-2011, 12:14 AM
There can be an issue of jetlag if a team in the asian division would face off against the north american division

pd7631
08-12-2011, 12:18 AM
I'd be done with pro basketball if this ever happened. I will root for the Philadelphia 76ers, in the NBA. If I can't have that, then I'll just continue to play the game and watch college basketball.

Hellcrooner
08-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd be done with pro basketball if this ever happened. I will root for the Philadelphia 76ers, in the NBA. If I can't have that, then I'll just continue to play the game and watch college basketball.

I knew i was forgetting one of the biggest cities.

fixed Orlando out, Philly In

Oldmantrash
08-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Ten current teams. That's ridiculous
Never going to happen anyway

No no no

Preuss-is-right
08-12-2011, 12:58 AM
San Fransisco has a basketball team?

Hellcrooner
08-12-2011, 01:20 AM
San Fransisco has a basketball team?

i heard Warriors are going to be moved back there from Oakland.

Anyway in such an scenario its one of the most marketables citys in usa.

Hellcrooner
08-12-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/10/us-military-fastest-plane-falcon

once the new tech its applied to civil planes , its game over for non global leagues.

LakersMaster24
08-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Crooner I like the idea, but not in that size.

The "IBA" should start slowly. Go from USA to Britain...then to France...in a year get a team in Germany. First get the popular countries to join, places where players would want to live. Then we can start thinking about adding Latin and Asian countries.

MGB
08-12-2011, 05:38 AM
great idea croonie croon

NYKalltheway
08-14-2011, 04:52 PM
too hard to implement, different cultures, most Europeans HATE "Americanisms" (aka popcorn fans, example -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfA1DFGhlIc

Basically it's a RACE. A race between David Stern and ULEB/FIBA. ULEB is acting like Stern's puppy, so it's basically FIBA vs Stern. FIBA should look to destroy the NBA and have the USA play a normal basketball league and not 82 exhibition games in 4-5 months, while the NBA/Stern will look to attract European fans. Both things won't happen. With the lockout, FIBA is slightly winning that race. I know for a fact that Europeans won't settle for NBA-type of competition, nor to have a fixed closed league (without participation in domestic/national leagues). It's also hard for American teams to implement a "normal" (normal ->for the rest of the world) season since the culture is different.

You can't work these things out easily. The ideal situation would be an end of June tournament with 4 champions of the 4 continents (North America - NBA that is -, South America, Asia-China really -, Europe) that have the best leagues and work out a competition to figure out world champions. This would take place in neutral grounds. EG, there would be a rotation or draw where the host would be not a particular city, but the winner from a particular continent. And Final Four format. Then you can expand that in a 8 team format and have a NCAA type of competition, then could be expanded to 16 with better teams from NBA and Europe who are more dominant (eg 8 NBA teams, 4 European, 2 South American, 2 Asian) and you could expand a World Championship competition that would not interfere with the seasons of each league. Not sure if the Chinese league follows the same calendar as the rest, but still, it works better than expanding into a world season-long league.

Jet lag is a huge issue. It's one thing getting into places faster, and it's a different thing to wake up at 5am to catch a 8am flight, take 3 hours to get from NY to Beijing and it'd be time to go to bed according to the time zone :p

Crackadalic
08-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Its a nice idea but its too hard to implement