PDA

View Full Version : John Axford

Jays101
08-11-2011, 02:58 AM
One of our clubs biggest holes...... a closer. I follow the milwaulkee brewers as well, and John Axford has been lights out as a closer this year. According to the link below, he is a free agent at the end of the year, but im not too sure because hes only been in the league for 3 years. Anyways, if Axford is indeed a UFA at the end of year... this seems like a perfect match: Homegrown Boy comes back to Toronto and is just one more piece from a contending blue jays team. Thoughts??

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/john-axford/

GNick
08-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Axford bit of an oddity. Not great numbers until he got to major leagues.

I can't see how he is free agent because he only has 3 years of service

DVS
08-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Axford is having a great year yes, but its his first year at the closer role, and as GNick said, "Not great numbers until he got to major leagues."

IMO you would want to grab a proven closer (3 good years under his belt i'd say) We don't want another B.J. Ryan incident. But you make good point, maybe when he becomes a UFA after his 6 years of MLB service.

Thechidz
08-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Ax reminds me a lot of randy johnson. Tall strong with a heat seaking fastball. He's worked with our pitching coaches to really command control of his four seemer and he has nice movement on his cutter. I don't see him leaving milwaukee next year but who knows

North Yorker
08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Axford isn't even Arbitration eligible until 2013 and is under team control through 2016, so if we were to get him it would have to be through trade.

Maybe make a big offer for Axford+Weeks

Thechidz
08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
We'll take lawrie back

T.O. Fan
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
We'll take lawrie back

No you won't.

wagnall
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone like Venters for the back end of our BP. Seem loaded with back end guys in Atlanta? I think he'd be easier to get than Axford who came out of nowhere, much the same as Kimbrel in Atl.

wagnall
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Weeks? hmmmm. would be a fine addition. I guess it depends how far they go in playoffs and do they keep it going next year as well and beyond. They may even go after Fielder another 7 or 8 m a year would keep him there.

Can't see them wanting to deal Axford or Weeks if thats the case.

GNick
08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Anyone like Venters for the back end of our BP. Seem loaded with back end guys in Atlanta? I think he'd be easier to get than Axford who came out of nowhere, much the same as Kimbrel in Atl.

Generally teams aren't bending over backwards to move these good, cheap arms. Many arms around that can close, Romo be one of my favs, but acquiring them is another matter.

ChongInc.
08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Where does his fastball sit?

Thechidz
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
No you won't.

It would take at least him to get axford and weeks in a trade

Thechidz
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Where does his fastball sit?

96-98 consistently. Faster sometimes

StayOnBoard
08-11-2011, 05:38 PM

No... it really wouldn't (funny, people said the same about Colby Rasmus).

I'm not saying it wouldn't take a monster package - but if the Brewers WANTED to trade them I seriously have my doubts Lawrie would have to be involved in the trade.

I don't see them trading a guy who they just signed long term and a young closer who's under control until 2016 - but since they're all in this year, its possible they could trade a few key pieces and rebuild. They also have Marcum and Grienke who are very attractive trade pieces. I don't know why the Brewers would tear the house down... but their farm system is currently one of the worst in baseball.

North Yorker
08-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Ummm, no. Our farm is plenty deep to get a deal done without Lawrie.

ghost dog
08-12-2011, 05:37 AM
We'll take lawrie back

:laugh:

Billyen
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Didn't know he was Canadian...I don't care, I like seeing Canadian in the Jays line up who can preform well. He has decent numbers.

We'll need to trade for him however.

StayOnBoard
08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Didn't know he was Canadian...I don't care, I like seeing Canadian in the Jays line up who can preform well. He has decent numbers.

We'll need to trade for him however.

Are... you watching the same player as I am?

:confused:

Decent? He has.... decent numbers? The guy has played like 5-6 games and he's almost passed Snider and Thames in production...

Thechidz
08-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Decent? He has.... decent numbers? The guy has played like 5-6 games and he's almost passed Snider and Thames in production...

he's referring to axford i think

Thechidz
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
No... it really wouldn't (funny, people said the same about Colby Rasmus).

I'm not saying it wouldn't take a monster package - but if the Brewers WANTED to trade them I seriously have my doubts Lawrie would have to be involved in the trade.

I don't see them trading a guy who they just signed long term and a young closer who's under control until 2016 - but since they're all in this year, its possible they could trade a few key pieces and rebuild. They also have Marcum and Grienke who are very attractive trade pieces. I don't know why the Brewers would tear the house down... but their farm system is currently one of the worst in baseball.
agreed. the brewers need to do something next year to replenish the farm, and if you guys want to trade your entire farm to us for weeks and axford I woudlnt necessarily mind, but I don't see it happening. If the brewers cant hold onto prince I see them keeping either markum or greinke, but not both, and trading the other one. I dont see them letting axford go. and a trade of hart or weeks possibly to replenish the farm somewhat is a possibility.

but thats next year, and how far they make it through the playoffs this year could change things

Billyen
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Uh...ya....since the THREAD TITLE IS... JOHN Axford! :facepalm:

It's ok. You'll be fine. 8-)

Billyen
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Wait?! Lawrie is Canadian? Holy...

8-) sorry. Could hold back there.

torontocubs
08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Really anyone would want Weeks? I think the guy has incredibly talent but if your not healthy, your not valuable. I think we need to wait and see what our farm can produce in terms of talent for the bullpen. The three bullpen names that have popped up so far in this thread are Venters, Axford and Kimbrel - all three were developed in their system.

bomber0104
08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Really anyone would want Weeks? I think the guy has incredibly talent but if your not healthy, your not valuable. I think we need to wait and see what our farm can produce in terms of talent for the bullpen. The three bullpen names that have popped up so far in this thread are Venters, Axford and Kimbrel - all three were developed in their system.

Weeks has major swag so yea i'd want him here

torontocubs
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Weeks has major swag so yea i'd want him here

I hate trying to decipher sarcasm over the internet? I am not sure if your being honest or not. I know he'd be a huge upgrade over Hill, but nothing bothers me more than guys who are constantly injured. You can't win with players who spend significant portions of the season on the DL or nursing injuries that should have them on the DL. I think he has tons of talent, but not worth the money or what we would lose to get him.