PDA

View Full Version : Are players really going to play overseas

TRF929
08-11-2011, 01:41 AM
I find it hard to believe that all these negotiations that players will go to other countries and play. It seems to me that the players dont care to talk about the new CBA but talk to other countries playing for a fraction of what they'd get in the NBA. Kobe wanting like 1 mil a month or something like that, how many months is he going to stay over there for, and that still far below what he'd make in the NBA. Thats talking about a high profile player, but these players that aren't super stars won't even touch that contract.

Are they really going to ditch their fans in the US while earning less than they would in the US, makes absolutely no sense to me. Even Kobe making 2mil a month doesnt touch his nba contract, because how long are they really going to play 4-5 months.

Seems to me the players are being selfish and I hope theres no NBA, unless the players fold. Players are all about themselves and dont give a crap about the fans.

If I'm missing something please let me know

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I find it hard to believe that all these negotiations that players will go to other countries and play. It seems to me that the players dont care to talk about the new CBA but talk to other countries playing for a fraction of what they'd get in the NBA. Kobe wanting like 1 mil a month or something like that, how many months is he going to stay over there for, and that still far below what he'd make in the NBA. Thats talking about a high profile player, but these players that aren't super stars won't even touch that contract.

Are they really going to ditch their fans in the US while earning less than they would in the US, makes absolutely no sense to me. Even Kobe making 2mil a month doesnt touch his nba contract, because how long are they really going to play 4-5 months.

Seems to me the players are being selfish and I hope theres no NBA, unless the players fold. Players are all about themselves and dont give a crap about the fans.

are you aware kobe wants 2 million dollars a month TAX FREE?

if theres no season at all he would earn 16 million dolalrs in 8 months AFTER TAXES ( the team pays his taxes) he earns the 16 millions IN FULL.

his nba contract is 24 ? million BEFORE taxes.

Whats California taxes? 40 %?

So, after KOBE pays his taxes from his lakers contract he earsn bout 15 million.

Go figure...:rolleyes:

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-11-2011, 02:58 AM
And they should, why blame them?

Some superstars like Kobe and D Wade (if he goes) can earn a **** load of money and play half *** because it really doesnt matter if they win or not lol.

If there is a season their contract for any teams overseas becomes void and they HAVE to come back. We aren't gonna lose anyone to any team overseas. And i believe that only applies to players that are currently under contract in the NBA, luckily we have no superstars in the FA this year.

Slav1wanna
08-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Its a business i dont blame them. Plus if your a fan over a player this should benefit you as now you can watch them compete? they arent staying there forever.

MVP20
08-11-2011, 06:12 AM
I actually wont care if there isnt an NBA season. But to the question.. I believe most of the players are bluffing just to put pressure on the NBA to get talks going but in all honesty it seems like the owners dont give a **** and actually will skip a season just to get the problems they made fixed.

But after they know there wont be a season any player that truely loves the game and the competitiveness will go play overseas bc thats the only place where they can stay on there game against some legit competition.

(Unless of course, they just wanna take the season off to rest up, recover ie: older players w mileage Kobe, Nash, etc)

Cuz we all saw what Durant did against those random scrubs and that obviously wasnt any competition for em. so yes if there is no NBA season next year I believe players will start to go overseas to play.

Shmontaine
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
IMO there will be nobody playing overseas, especially the big name players... if they get injured, their nice, big contracts are possibly voided... it's not just making up for the money THIS year, it's the life of the contract... kobe has over 80 mil due to him from the lakers... sure, he'll put that at risk for 15 million... same goes for wade... it's a bluff to hopefully scare the owners into folding... IMO it won't work, the owners will get what they want, and that's a better return on their 300+ million dollar investments (one that doesn't take 20+ years to get)...

Federal Reserve
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I heard Lebron wants to team up with other NBA stars to win a ring overseas.

Foye
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Long-term it's better for them to go abroad for a few months than to agree to the owners requests.

If no deal gets done the pressure on the NBA association will only go up. They need NBA basketball more than the players do. Every single of these players can get a solid income by playing oversea's.

The longer this lockout lasts the better it is for the players, IMO.
NBA owners won't be able to demand as much if the lockout lasts longer.
They're going to have to find an agreement then.

Short-term a lockout doesn't bother the owners. But long term they'll count the bucks they're losing.

Shmontaine
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Long-term it's better for them to go abroad for a few months than to agree to the owners requests.

If no deal gets done the pressure on the NBA association will only go up. They need NBA basketball more than the players do. Every single of these players can get a solid income by playing oversea's.

The longer this lockout lasts the better it is for the players, IMO.
NBA owners won't be able to demand as much if the lockout lasts longer.
They're going to have to find an agreement then.

Short-term a lockout doesn't bother the owners. But long term they'll count the bucks they're losing.

we've heard of about 10 players or so going overseas... what about the other 440 players?? don't you think they will need money come november and their paychecks stop?

I don't think the players can hold out longer than the owners... remind you, these owners are mega millionaire's/billionaires... they can survive just fine with other investments and businesses... of course they would love to have a season, but only on their terms... I see the entire season being lost, with the owners getting what they want in the end...

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
^only if they are completely stupid.

I have a nicely paid Job and i still need to work several years to get the kind of money a one year VEts Minimum brings to a player.

and i dont wanna even thingk how much i need to work to get half the amount of a MLE contract.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
are you aware kobe wants 2 million dollars a month TAX FREE?

if theres no season at all he would earn 16 million dolalrs in 8 months AFTER TAXES ( the team pays his taxes) he earns the 16 millions IN FULL.

his nba contract is 24 ? million BEFORE taxes.

Whats California taxes? 40 %?

So, after KOBE pays his taxes from his lakers contract he earsn bout 15 million.

Go figure...:rolleyes:

you are aware that kobe makes closer to 30 mill a season right :confused:

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
you are aware that kobe makes closer to 30 mill a season right :confused:

yeah well after taxes its 18, so the figure is close anyway.

and i dont know you, but i would accept a 10% paycut in my salary if i got to work half the hours a week.

i mean nba+playoffs = 100 (48 minutes games).

the most he woudl play in an entire besiktas season would be 60 ( 40 minutes games) no back to backs, 3 or 4 days in between games

Tony_Starks
08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
They'll play 1) for leverage and 2) because they just want to play. Overseas has already shown they'll accomodate everyone from the superstar to the scrubs so its a good deal.

The owners leverage is basically when the players want money they'll come back crawling but they're flawed because the players have been preparing for a lockout for over 3 years so most of them should be good. Nothing wrong with going overseas on vacation and getting some pocket change while the owners sit back and look stupid.

Also keep in mind that it is the owners, not the players, that are totally unwilling to budge. Thats not negotiating.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Its a business i dont blame them. Plus if your a fan over a player this should benefit you as now you can watch them compete? they arent staying there forever.

this.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
yeah well after taxes its 18, so the figure is close anyway.

and i dont know you, but i would accept a 10% paycut in my salary if i got to work half the hours a week.

i mean nba+playoffs = 100 (48 minutes games).

the most he woudl play in an entire besiktas season would be 60 ( 40 minutes games) no back to backs, 3 or 4 days in between games

ya but the op's point was if these guys are gonna go play over seas for less then a quarter of what they get paid here how come they are willing to take the same pay cut here ?

Tony_Starks
08-11-2011, 05:57 PM
ya but the op's point was if these guys are gonna go play over seas for less then a quarter of what they get paid here how come they are willing to take the same pay cut here ?

Temporary pay cut vs permanent pay cut. Also this temp pay cut will probably play a role in getting less of a permanent pay cut later.

It's the only leverage they have so now we basically wait and see who blinks first.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Temporary pay cut vs permanent pay cut. Also this temp pay cut will probably play a role in getting less of a permanent pay cut later.

It's the only leverage they have so now we basically wait and see who blinks first.

it makes no sence though. its not leverage because the owners know that these players wont stay over seas. specially not for these wages so who are they really fooling ? and technically all nba players are on vacation so if they want to play in theyre time off i dont see how it effects the owners at all.

if i was an owner id be like ok have fun in china or turkey.. stay there while your at it. you think kobe is really gonna go live in turkey or china permenantly ?? you think lebrons gonna go live in china permenantly ?? they arent fooling any one. guys like wade, kobe, lebron, amare, etc have contracts in the nba that make one mill a month seem like a joke. owners know this. wheres the leverage ?

its like this. they want to make money while they are off and then return to theyre nba teams. thats why alsmot no player will sing a contract overseas unless it has a claus in it saying once the nba season starts that player can break out of contract and go back to theyre team. the owners also know this.

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 06:35 PM

there are things goin on.

Im wonering wich kind of money they can make from SPONSORS in the "old world".

Also about budgets.

the risk for owners is the following.

At this moment euro basket does nto attract enough people here in europe to pay big priced tickeds, it does not attract the sponsors, it does not attract tv contracts.

So, the salarys that can be paid NOW are limited there isnt a market.

now suddenly stars come for a year ( theres a FULL YEAR LOCKOUT) and sponsors get interest, fans get interest, tv ( evn American tv ) starts making good tv broadcasting rights offers.
this means euro teams could be able to offer MORE money the following year.
wich woudl mean MOre stars woudl be willing to do it and not to go back to nba so Lockout keeps going and euro clubs get even more money so they can offer even more money.
the MARKET has been created.

End of the nba.

Thats the leverage, and if players had half a brain they would realize it, they have the pot by the handle.

ne3xchamps
08-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Yeah players really will. I highly doubt there will be a season this year. Why wouldn't you go over seas? Stay in basketball shape, travel a bit, and oh yeah, make a paycheck. No brainer IMO.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
there are things goin on.

Im wonering wich kind of money they can make from SPONSORS in the "old world".

Also about budgets.

the risk for owners is the following.

At this moment euro basket does nto attract enough people here in europe to pay big priced tickeds, it does not attract the sponsors, it does not attract tv contracts.

now suddenly stars come for a year ( theres a FULL YEAR LOCKOUT) and sponsors get interest, fans get interest, tv ( evn American tv ) starts making good tv broadcasting rights offers.
wich woudl mean MOre stars woudl be willing to do it and not to go back to nba so Lockout keeps going and euro clubs get even more money so they can offer even more money.

End of the nba.

Thats the leverage, and if players had half a brain they would realize it, they have the pot by the handle.

this will never happen and thats why its not leverage. the owenrs know that this will not happen.

any one who thinks realistically and not hypothetically knows that this wont happen. thats why im saying its not leverage. the owners are not that stupid. these guys love playing for the nba. they just dont want to take cuts. thats not gonna make them wanna go to europe permenantly untill the markets there are big enough to pay them what the nba is paying them now..

Mr.ATLHawks
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
IMO there will be nobody playing overseas, especially the big name players... if they get injured, their nice, big contracts are possibly voided... it's not just making up for the money THIS year, it's the life of the contract... kobe has over 80 mil due to him from the lakers... sure, he'll put that at risk for 15 million... same goes for wade... it's a bluff to hopefully scare the owners into folding... IMO it won't work, the owners will get what they want, and that's a better return on their 300+ million dollar investments (one that doesn't take 20+ years to get)...

With no CBA buddy they have no contracts, hence the lockout

lakers4sho
08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
this will never happen and thats why its not leverage. the owenrs know that this will not happen.

any one who thinks realistically and not hypothetically knows that this wont happen. thats why im saying its not leverage. the owners are not that stupid. these guys love playing for the nba. they just dont want to take cuts. thats not gonna make them wanna go to europe permenantly untill the markets there are big enough to pay them what the nba is paying them now..

Why not?

Mr.ATLHawks
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
it makes no sence though. its not leverage because the owners know that these players wont stay over seas. specially not for these wages so who are they really fooling ? and technically all nba players are on vacation so if they want to play in theyre time off i dont see how it effects the owners at all.

if i was an owner id be like ok have fun in china or turkey.. stay there while your at it. you think kobe is really gonna go live in turkey or china permenantly ?? you think lebrons gonna go live in china permenantly ?? they arent fooling any one. guys like wade, kobe, lebron, amare, etc have contracts in the nba that make one mill a month seem like a joke. owners know this. wheres the leverage ?

its like this. they want to make money while they are off and then return to theyre nba teams. thats why alsmot no player will sing a contract overseas unless it has a claus in it saying once the nba season starts that player can break out of contract and go back to theyre team. the owners also know this.

The Players will go and will be paid favorably. 1 Million a Month in Europe is 1.5 Million in America * 8 Months = 12 Million... They will use it as leverage and I hope the owners cave. If you think they are not using these options as leverage. If you think these European TEams cant sell out every single game with stars like Wade/Bron/Kobe then let me reassure you they will sell out every game. The Sponsors might not be as good but it doesnt mean Nike will stop sponsoring Lebron. You dont think ESPN is lining up to get the TV rights to some of these proposed games? Cmon man if the NFL players had these options their lockout wouldnt have ended so quickly. Josh Childress made 16 Million Euros (24 Million Dollars) in 2 years with the Olympiakos. He would not make 12 million a year in the NBA. These teams have money and they are goiong to spend it on these players... Im convinced in the END the owners will crack bc of this. Like I said the ownders will be losing all the money. Some nobody players might hurt but the Stars make the NBA not the benchwarmers

Foye
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
we've heard of about 10 players or so going overseas... what about the other 440 players?? don't you think they will need money come november and their paychecks stop?

I don't think the players can hold out longer than the owners... remind you, these owners are mega millionaire's/billionaires... they can survive just fine with other investments and businesses... of course they would love to have a season, but only on their terms... I see the entire season being lost, with the owners getting what they want in the end...

These players make millions.

I bet half of the league could afford a year off without payment. Just avoid gambling and expensive parties for a year. I don't think many of the guys in the league are broken currently either. They make so much money that they can buy almost everything without a credit (expensive houses might be a problem, though).
Rookie's and min. guys are really the only guys who should have trouble.
Gambling is obviously a huge problem but the guys who gamble too much will be broken one day regardless if they get an income this season or not. Just ask Antoine Walker. :facepalm:

Maybe I'm just too down-to-earth. Can't imagine that anyone of these players is broken currently. Everyone who's playing in the league for at least 3 or 4 years must've hidden a mil. somewhere. That's like the 1st thing I'd do if I made that much money.

Long-term I think a longer lockout will help the players because short-term the owners will be relucant to make any compromises with the players.
Owners are business men. If they see they lose a lot money without getting a result in return they'll at least lower their claims.

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
The Players will go and will be paid favorably. 1 Million a Month in Europe is 1.5 Million in America * 8 Months = 12 Million... They will use it as leverage and I hope the owners cave. If you think they are not using these options as leverage. If you think these European TEams cant sell out every single game with stars like Wade/Bron/Kobe then let me reassure you they will sell out every game. The Sponsors might not be as good but it doesnt mean Nike will stop sponsoring Lebron. You dont think ESPN is lining up to get the TV rights to some of these proposed games? Cmon man if the NFL players had these options their lockout wouldnt have ended so quickly. Josh Childress made 16 Million Euros (24 Million Dollars) in 2 years with the Olympiakos. He would not make 12 million a year in the NBA. These teams have money and they are goiong to spend it on these players... Im convinced in the END the owners will crack bc of this. Like I said the ownders will be losing all the money. Some nobody players might hurt but the Stars make the NBA not the benchwarmers

if every player in the nba is willing to take a huge permenant pay cut too expand popularity in europe then one day markets will be huge there. yes. even if all the stars were to take paycuts to play there basket ball would gain popularity. but this is very very unrealistic. as most players dont want to take any kind of pay cut. only reason they are considering playing overseas now is to continue to make money while they are out of work.

as for the salaries, i really dont know where your getting those figures from. your assuming that every country in europe uses euros. this is not true. when you see articles saying "kobe in talks with turkish club, could make 2 mill a month"I hope you realize that those figures have been converted to dollar amount for you to understand. i doubt writers out there expect you to know what a "lira" is. because thats what they use as currency in turkey. england uses pounds, the figures being announced are not in "liras" or "pounds" they are dollar amounts.

while basket ball is popular in europe, it will always take a back seat to soccer. same way soccer takes a back seat to football, hockey & basket ball in north america. yes nba players can be used in europe to market the sport of basketball but by the time the markets actually get big enough to pay the players what they get now in the nba the players themselves would have grown old and retired. so which one realistically is willing to take a pay cut for this cause ? this is why its not realistic. none of them would make that personal sacrifice.

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
^ mm its me or nba takes a back seat to Nfl for Sure and maybe too to Mlb?

Does it stop them for having good contracts?

In europe you could say basketball is already the second most watched sport ( in europe as a whole, each county has it sparticularitys i mean im sure the Swiss after soccer are 24/7 watching tennis because of Federer, and lately here in spain F1 / tennis / cycling / and motorbikes are being followed more closely than Basket because of Alonso/Contador / Nadal/ Lorenzo etc )

llemon
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
if every player in the nba is willing to take a huge permenant pay cut too expand popularity in europe then one day markets will be huge there. yes. even if all the stars were to take paycuts to play there basket ball would gain popularity. but this is very very unrealistic. as most players dont want to take any kind of pay cut. only reason they are considering playing overseas now is to continue to make money while they are out of work.

as for the salaries, i really dont know where your getting those figures from. your assuming that every country in europe uses euros. this is not true. when you see articles saying "kobe in talks with turkish club, could make 2 mill a month"I hope you realize that those figures have been converted to dollar amount for you to understand. i doubt writers out there expect you to know what a "lira" is. because thats what they use as currency in turkey. england uses pounds, the figures being announced are not in "liras" or "pounds" they are dollar amounts.

while basket ball is popular in europe, it will always take a back seat to soccer. same way soccer takes a back seat to football, hockey & basket ball in north america. yes nba players can be used in europe to market the sport of basketball but by the time the markets actually get big enough to pay the players what they get now in the nba the players themselves would have grown old and retired. so which one realistically is willing to take a pay cut for this cause ? this is why its not realistic. none of them would make that personal sacrifice.

'Permanant pay cut'?

jrm2054
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes they will play overseas some off them need the money

Bishnoff
08-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Yes they will. I don't blame the players for looking elsewhere, but at the same time I hope it doesn’t hinder a CBA resolution being reached.

sventhedog
08-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I heard Lebron wants to team up with other NBA stars to win a ring overseas.

lol. wherever gives him the best chance to win. that's the reason why he joined wade and bosh anyway.

Shmontaine
08-12-2011, 11:13 AM
These players make millions.

I bet half of the league could afford a year off without payment. Just avoid gambling and expensive parties for a year. I don't think many of the guys in the league are broken currently either. They make so much money that they can buy almost everything without a credit (expensive houses might be a problem, though).
Rookie's and min. guys are really the only guys who should have trouble.
Gambling is obviously a huge problem but the guys who gamble too much will be broken one day regardless if they get an income this season or not. Just ask Antoine Walker. :facepalm:

Maybe I'm just too down-to-earth. Can't imagine that anyone of these players is broken currently. Everyone who's playing in the league for at least 3 or 4 years must've hidden a mil. somewhere. That's like the 1st thing I'd do if I made that much money.

Long-term I think a longer lockout will help the players because short-term the owners will be relucant to make any compromises with the players.
Owners are business men. If they see they lose a lot money without getting a result in return they'll at least lower their claims.

you give these players WAY too much credit... they spend recklessly and support their friends around them...

i'm sure a few of them have some money, but the majority will be struggling for cash... and euro teams have been notorious for missing payments and late payments to players... you think players are going to stick around when they don't get a paycheck?? i don't know why everyone thinks these teams can afford all these players... the teams need airlines to co-sign just to get kobe on board... yeah, that sounds like a sounds like teams can get whoever they want and pay them...

not to mention the amenities... the crowds are ruthless there... you think artest incident was bad, expect more... reports of 'hot coins' being flicked at players from fans and objects being thrown... the euro league is not like the nba in any regard... players will not want to stay there... on top of it, they're playing for less money... yeah, there's no real leverage... "we'll move our families and leave our friends and life and live in europe"... not likely IMO...

Heater4life
08-12-2011, 11:49 AM
you give these players WAY too much credit... they spend recklessly and support their friends around them...

i'm sure a few of them have some money, but the majority will be struggling for cash... and euro teams have been notorious for missing payments and late payments to players... you think players are going to stick around when they don't get a paycheck?? i don't know why everyone thinks these teams can afford all these players... the teams need airlines to co-sign just to get kobe on board... yeah, that sounds like a sounds like teams can get whoever they want and pay them...

not to mention the amenities... the crowds are ruthless there... you think artest incident was bad, expect more... reports of 'hot coins' being flicked at players from fans and objects being thrown... the euro league is not like the nba in any regard... players will not want to stay there... on top of it, they're playing for less money... yeah, there's no real leverage... "we'll move our families and leave our friends and life and live in europe"... not likely IMO...

Of course there is leverage favoring the players. The fact that they have a means to obtain reasonable income (to their standards) while there is a work stoppage favors them greatly. This opportunity they have removes a major advantage that the NFL owners had in their negotiations, time.

This helps speed up CBA talks by leaps and bounds IMO. The owners cant take a "wait and see" approach with the players waiting for them to become more cash strapped.

Instead the players are making their money and have in essence turned the tables. Now the players can say "Well we will wait and see what you have to offer. We'll play in Europe while you come to the table with a better offer".

smith&wesson
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
'Permanant pay cut'?

follow the thread.. youll understand what ppl are trying to say bro. this is what crooner wrote.

"the risk for owners is the following.

End of the nba.

Thats the leverage, and if players had half a brain they would realize it, they have the pot by the handle."

im saying this cant happend. theres no way. he is saying yes it can and thats why its leverage for the players over the owners.

smith&wesson
08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
^ mm its me or nba takes a back seat to Nfl for Sure and maybe too to Mlb?

Does it stop them for having good contracts?

In europe you could say basketball is already the second most watched sport ( in europe as a whole, each county has it sparticularitys i mean im sure the Swiss after soccer are 24/7 watching tennis because of Federer, and lately here in spain F1 / tennis / cycling / and motorbikes are being followed more closely than Basket because of Alonso/Contador / Nadal/ Lorenzo etc )

i dont know. thats a tough call to make. im not sure what takes a back seat to what in north america. some ppl love foot ball, some ppl love baseball, some love hockey and some love basket ball. its hard to say which has more popularity. but in europe we know for sure soccer takes the cake. but i agree with you crooner. i think basket ball in europe is big enough for some players to go there and some players already have in the past. but not all the players and certainly not all the stars bro.

Shmontaine
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Of course there is leverage favoring the players. The fact that they have a means to obtain reasonable income (to their standards) while there is a work stoppage favors them greatly. This opportunity they have removes a major advantage that the NFL owners had in their negotiations, time.

This helps speed up CBA talks by leaps and bounds IMO. The owners cant take a "wait and see" approach with the players waiting for them to become more cash strapped.

Instead the players are making their money and have in essence turned the tables. Now the players can say "Well we will wait and see what you have to offer. We'll play in Europe while you come to the table with a better offer".

you're talking about the 5% of the players... that's not enough to outweigh the majority of players looking for money and looking for work... of course there's SOME leverage... but it's miniscule... and it won't work IMO... the fact is when the nba does resume, all these players will be back... if they keep fans interested in basketball by playing overseas, it's just that much better for the nba...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't see any top 15 or even top 25 players going overseas. Too high of a risk.

Tony_Starks
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM

But what you're forgetting is they're not playing overseas because they NEED the money. They're playing because they want to play and to prove a point. Thats a big difference. Guys like Kobe and Deron been making money for years and are prepared for this. Then you got guys like Lebron, Amare, Dwight, etc, who are also rich as hell and have basiscally said "I really don't feel like playing I'll just chill." Then you got guys like Ron Ron who's like who cares I'll just use this as a vaca/worldwide advertisement for myself. Add to that the bottom tier players are also getting deals then as much as the owners posture they have to be getting nervous.

The players have basically been saying from superstar to low level guy "we can wait as long as you can, and while we wait we'll still ball and stay in shape."

Tony_Starks
08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't see any top 15 or even top 25 players going overseas. Too high of a risk.

Are you aware of the fact that most of these guys play high level pick up games all summer to stay ready? I don't know if you know about the Rucker or the Drew league out here but I promise you there's a higher chance of injury in those two places then abroad. Not to mention the games they have at UCLA all summer with BD and the rest of em. You got guys playing that will never get a deal thats sole purpose is to go at a superstar as hard as possible.

Shmontaine
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
But what you're forgetting is they're not playing overseas because they NEED the money. They're playing because they want to play and to prove a point. Thats a big difference. Guys like Kobe and Deron been making money for years and are prepared for this. Then you got guys like Lebron, Amare, Dwight, etc, who are also rich as hell and have basiscally said "I really don't feel like playing I'll just chill." Then you got guys like Ron Ron who's like who cares I'll just use this as a vaca/worldwide advertisement for myself. Add to that the bottom tier players are also getting deals then as much as the owners posture they have to be getting nervous.

The players have basically been saying from superstar to low level guy "we can wait as long as you can, and while we wait we'll still ball and stay in shape."

this is exactly why the players will lose... they aren't united in their efforts... if they want to make a change, they all have to do it together, instead of hoping dwill will be enough to persuade the owners... what 'low level' guys have options?? artest? please... ONE PLAYER HAS SIGNED OVERSEAS.. ONE.. there is no pressure until more (15+) players have signed IMO, even then, it's not a lot of pressure... dwill is going overseas for himself, not to scare the owners into action...

and i promise you, the owners can wait much much longer than the players... the players as a whole, not just the top 10%, will be financial trouble much sooner than the owners...