PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Hill

Tarrrrrget
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
the man needs to plant his feet in the batters box, he starts running as he swings

bomber0104
08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
everyone has their explanation for why Hill sucks.. but one thing we all agree on is that he sucks and thats all that matters

BeerJays
08-10-2011, 08:21 PM
He doesnt shift his weight. In other words he uses his hands kind of like ichiro, but obviously not as effectively. Hes hopeless.

StayOnBoard
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
He has to go - free agent and Im so glad. No way AA picks up those options....

Ugh... I'd LOVE to trade for Jermile Weeks - that kid can play. Get him over here - trade JPA, promote d'Arnaud.

jaysnraptors44
08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
man sucks bring in brandon phillips

BlueJaysFan
08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
hopeless. Can't Dwayne Murphy do something about this?

bomber0104
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
hopeless. Can't Dwayne Murphy do something about this?

they sent Snider to the minors to adjust his swing which tells you all you need to know about Murphy's abilities

seriously, there is so much wrong with the guy's swing that any minor change will probably lead to better results

Krylian
08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
man sucks bring in brandon phillips

He's not an FA. Not unless the Reds decline the option. That won't happen.

ghost dog
08-10-2011, 11:34 PM
the man needs to step into the ball and get hit, only way to get him on base

saintnicholas
08-10-2011, 11:49 PM
What can Hill do that Macdonald can't do? Sick of this clown, he sucks the life outta the team when and the fans when he gets to the plate. At least the fans love Macdonald.

nithanyo
08-11-2011, 12:25 AM
i think he needs to be line drive hitter. somewhere in his career he got confused. he needs to fix up his swing, and his game or he might be the back up second baseman to someone next season

GrumpyOldMan
08-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I dont really think Hill is hopeless. I do however think a change of scenery is needed. If he starts over in a different city and stops swinging for the fences he could be good again. I just dont feel he will do that here.

BeerJays
08-11-2011, 04:21 AM
I dont really think Hill is hopeless. I do however think a change of scenery is needed. If he starts over in a different city and stops swinging for the fences he could be good again. I just dont feel he will do that here.

Thats what they said about
A. Vernon Wells
B. Alex Rios

jayfantilldeath
08-11-2011, 08:05 AM
If AA doesn't pick up an option and he becomes a FA, is he even a type B ?

GNick
08-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Phillips is scheduled to make 12 million dollars a year but doesn't have a WAR to justify that kind of money. His WAR averages around 2. Not sure if I would go there.

darth helmet
08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Maybe he just needs to be paying attention to the man in white and start steal some signs.

ILDD
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Hill is solidly a type B but to get the compensation you have to offer arbitration. If AA offers then likely Hill accepts because the arbitration proccess never reduces a salary. Hill is making $5M this year so he will make at least that through arbitration. If he hits the open market he will get a lot less than $5M so he'll accept and we're stuck with him.

My guess is that he becomes a type B but AA lets him walk without offering arb.

Steely McBeam
08-11-2011, 10:35 AM
What can Hill do that Macdonald can't do? Sick of this clown, he sucks the life outta the team when and the fans when he gets to the plate. At least the fans love Macdonald.

Exactly. I get depressed just watching this guy walk to the plate. Looks like he is expecting failure. Maybe he is still suffering from post-concussion syndrome.

Dol-Fan
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Mope?

GNick
08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Hill is solidly a type B but to get the compensation you have to offer arbitration. If AA offers then likely Hill accepts because the arbitration proccess never reduces a salary. Hill is making $5M this year so he will make at least that through arbitration. If he hits the open market he will get a lot less than $5M so he'll accept and we're stuck with him.

My guess is that he becomes a type B but AA lets him walk without offering arb.

Or we could like we did with EE last offseason. Not offer arbitration and sign him back at a less salary. Jays are in a position where they can carry one good glove, .240 hitting player. If salary is low enough and spend the money somewhere else.

Most likely Kelly Johnson be scenario AA will take. He tried to trade for Johnson before and coming off a bad season he probably can sign him less than Hill made this year. Johnson is a very streaky player so good chance for a bounce back season.

The top secondbasemen in league are untouchable or virtually untouchable. Cano, Utley, Kinsler, Pedoria are pretty well set where they will be in near future. Phillips be next best choice but given he is signed for 12 million next year plus we have to give Reds an asset or more to acquire him, probably not way AA will go. Johnson be next best option, sign him afford ably and good chance at a bounce back year and pick up a couple of draft picks on him the following year. Next would be to sign or trade for a second tier 2b man as there is nothing in the system.

bomber0104
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
problem is, his struggles on the plate r starting to affect his defense. He has been horrible the last 2 weeks and just doesnt look right

Towelie
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Well when you GM comes out and says were not picking up your option it's going to do one of two things. 1. Prove him wrong and crush it. 2. Not help the team or your value and keep playing the way you are. Seems like he's picked 2 based on the season. He used to be a top 2B now it seems like he's just hurting the team.

Kenny Powders
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Well when you GM comes out and says were not picking up your option it's going to do one of two things. 1. Prove him wrong and crush it. 2. Not help the team or your value and keep playing the way you are. Seems like he's picked 2 based on the season. He used to be a top 2B now it seems like he's just hurting the team.

Good for him. He can be someone else's problem next year....hopefully.

ILDD
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Or we could like we did with EE last offseason. Not offer arbitration and sign him back at a less salary. Jays are in a position where they can carry one good glove, .240 hitting player. If salary is low enough and spend the money somewhere else.

Possibly but if I'm in that position I would want positional flexibility thrown in.

My point being if you have a guy like that, it's better to have a J Mac rather than Hill as you move him around the diamond depending on the situation. I haven't seen Hill field anywhere but 2B, not to ay he couldn't but it's an unproven commodity.

craigerlee
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM

AA only declined 2014 option, he can still pick up 2012 and 2013. So I don't see why he would of picked option 2 with 2 option years still on the table.

GNick
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Possibly but if I'm in that position I would want positional flexibility thrown in.

My point being if you have a guy like that, it's better to have a J Mac rather than Hill as you move him around the diamond depending on the situation. I haven't seen Hill field anywhere but 2B, not to ay he couldn't but it's an unproven commodity.

Hill came into big leagues as shortstop, has played 3b for us as well. Not worried on his defense at these positions. But good chance like somebody posted most of Hill's problems are now mental. Maybe, a change of scenery be best for all concerned.

Could sign an Omar Infante type as free agent and not give up compensation. Should sign much cheaper than Hill ,around 2 million I would estimate. As a stop game measure until we either develop or trade for a bigger name.

Jay
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
It's obvious by watching him that his issues are more mental, and it has taken him off his game. We can reward him for not allowing his play/future serve as a distraction for the team by letting him play out the season - but it's already etched in stone that we won't pick up our club option, no matter what happens the rest of the way.

Towelie
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
AA only declined 2014 option, he can still pick up 2012 and 2013. So I don't see why he would of picked option 2 with 2 option years still on the table.

Yea, it's just why pick those up if you did for the next year. I think the Jays should let him walk at this point.

3mikee_
08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't we got any decent hitting 2B man or infielder that can convert to 2B in the minors? Honestly cannot stand watching him play anymore, he just looks so lost out there. Rather have McDonald any day of the week.

wagnall
08-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Problem is he can't pick up 1 option he has to pick up both at 8m per year. You commit 16m to Hill and Hope he doesn't come out next year like the last 2. That is a HUGE gamble IMO.

I guess when Kipnis was brought up on this thread a while ago we should have made a play on him, not that they would have traded him, but now I see why some wanted him. Didn't know much about him at the time, but I know him now.

craigerlee
08-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Yea, it's just why pick those up if you did for the next year. I think the Jays should let him walk at this point.

AA had to make a decision on picking up all 3 options after 2010, so understandably he decided not to as he didn't wanna be paying Hill 8M-10M per season if he was only gonna give you his 2010 production. I guarantee if Hill reverted back to something close 2009 production this year AA would be picking up at least one of those remaining two options. The option years were for a decent amount of money, with this production he's lucky if he'll get 3M on the FA market rather than the 8M he would of gotten from the option. So your argument that Hill is playing like **** just to spite the Jays for not picking up the 2014 option doesn't make any sense. He's playing like **** cause there's something seriously wrong with his approach at the plate.

leafswin2011
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
ok guys i went down to the game today and i know now why aaron hill sucks...hes the only player on the team with a rock song when he comes up.this guy needs some carribean tunes when he goes up there.have the leafs goalie rhyme something for ya...do something

GNick
08-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Hechavarria could being groomed either as our future SS with Escobar moving to 2b or other way around, Hechavarria be our future 2b. As early as sometime next season.

idrinkpepsi
08-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Aaron Hill will probably be picked up as a change of scenery project for some team with a hitting ball park like Arizona.

GNick
08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Aaron Hill will probably be picked up as a change of scenery project for some team with a hitting ball park like Arizona.

Hard to believe it would go like this. Back in 2009 he looked like a franchise player. Hope Bautista don't end up like this 2 years from now. Back then I thought there would be no doubt about picking up Hill's options. Now, I see why Jays put them in there

Nuke
08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Hard to believe it would go like this. Back in 2009 he looked like a franchise player. Hope Bautista don't end up like this 2 years from now. Back then I thought there would be no doubt about picking up Hill's options. Now, I see why Jays put them in there

bet you Hill and his agent thought the same way as well. They probably thought picking up the options will just be a formality.

GNick
08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Play John McDonald about twice a week make a good second baseman. Could sign somebody to play average the other 4 games a week be good setup. Between the two gives us above average second baseman.

nstojic
08-18-2011, 03:35 AM
fingers-crossed, he's righted the ship

What made that small breakthrough seem even bigger for Hill is that it came as a result of something he has found in his last few sessions working with hitting coach Dwayne Murphy.

“Murph and I have been working a lot all year but for the last couple of days we’ve been freeing up my hands a little bit and tonight they were a little quicker,” said Hill.

“It felt great. The results were there but what I’m looking for is the feel at the plate and it felt like things were just happening naturally rather than forcing things to happen.

“I was just reacting and the hands worked. I’ve been seeing the ball pretty well but this time, it was a little different. I moved my hands down a little bit and just eliminated some movement to make things more free and easy.

“I’m going to keep working with it and try to keep it going.”

read on... (read on...)

bomber0104
08-18-2011, 04:00 AM
its not so ****ing hard damn it.. go back to what you were doing before you started trying to hit a HR every AB

wagnall
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
This your 1st year in baseball Hill? Sounds like a good excuse, we'll believe you this time too!!!NOT

Bigred91
08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Hill's problem, in my opinion, is that he approaches every at bat like he already has two strikes when he digs in. I am all for first pitch swinging, but make sure the pitch is a strike at least.

town123
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
What can Hill do that Macdonald can't do?

Mope?

Love it!:D

darth helmet
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
JMac is not an everyday player. People need to get that through their heads. I think the guy is great and all but playing every day is very taxing and requires more offensive skills than JMac will ever possess. Hill on the other hand at least has shown that he has the potential to be a very good hitter if he can just right this sinking ship he's on. That's why he's getting a chance to play over JMac. He needs to be given the opportunity to figure it out before the season ends since he's fighting to keep his job right now.

jaysnraptors44
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
It's really not that easy lol finding back your old form could be really hard

nstojic
08-19-2011, 01:16 PM
JMac is not an everyday player. People need to get that through their heads. I think the guy is great and all but playing every day is very taxing and requires more offensive skills than JMac will ever possess. Hill on the other hand at least has shown that he has the potential to be a very good hitter if he can just right this sinking ship he's on. That's why he's getting a chance to play over JMac. He needs to be given the opportunity to figure it out before the season ends since he's fighting to keep his job right now.

jmac can hit .225, fulltime, no? with better D.. :D

Nica
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I believe the opportunity has stretched from 2010 to 2/3's of 2011. Somewhere in the vicinity of 850 or so at bats. It would be nice if the Jays brass showed thee same patience and gave a certain LF the same number of at bats to prove himself.

Hill is a professional MLB player who is making millions of dollars to produce to certain level. He has not doing the job. By not picking up the player options it appears that the Jays are looking elsewhere. When the talk is postional player upgrades for making a run next year it always 2nd base that initiates the conversation. That being said alot of fingers are being pointed at Hill ( and rightly so) for not maintaining his production. Fair or not- his play has alienated a lot of fans. Fans are a fickle bunch- and " what have you done for me lately" applies to a players perceived worth. Someone somewhere will give him another opportunity in 2012.

The Jays are not in contention- perhaps it would not be so far fetched to give one of the Fan favorites some extra at bats. I'm a huge JMac fan but as another poster has already mentioned- JMac can produce at a similar offense pace but with a premium on playing some of the best D that the MLB can show case.

I fully expect that the Jays will make a splash this off season and one of the positions will be 2nd base.

ghost dog
08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't care what Hill has done lately it's what has he done for almost 2 years. He's not hitting his range seems to be less than it was. It looks like he is just going through the motions. I see no reason to defend him much less keep him around

Toxeryll
08-20-2011, 05:13 PM
send him to Motolla

ghost dog
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
send him to Motolla

And poof he's gone :speechless::clap: