PDA

View Full Version : At what point did you first take notice of Dirk/Kobe

Chronz
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
It was pretty easy to tell that phenoms like Melo/Bron would be stars, or they atleast had some serious hype behind them but for the trailblazers who came into the league as unproven kids, its pretty much a crapshoot. It takes a special game to realize a players potential for greatness or a series of great games.

Dirk

Was it when he destroyed Team USA in the Nike Hoops Summit before he even entered the NBA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMSe1Injiw&

Was it his very first Playoff Series where he shocked the world by eliminating the seasoned Utah Jazz?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1xziwzAWoQ

Or somewhere in between?

Kobe
Was it when he didnt back down from MJ at the tender age of 19? When he dropped 33 in the blowout loss or 20 in their blowout win, perhaps their All-Star game duel? Or was it some other game

Geargo Wallace
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
That's when I knew Luis Scola was going to be a solid NBA player.

... I joke. I was only 8. I had no idea any of these guys existed.

SirDJ
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM

hahahahahah solid

coryd238
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I was too young. But "I went to practice, and I liked it. Then I played basketball" Lol, good decision Dirk ;)

gwrighter
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I only started paying attention to Kobe after Vince got traded to the Nets. At the time I thought Vince was going to be the better player & was a huge homer.

Not too sure about Dirk, he kind of just coalesced into my basketball consciousness.

C-Style
08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Not too sure about Dirk, he kind of just coalesced into my basketball consciousness.

This

Kobe: His rookie year. I was 10yrs old, I went to go buy a Shaq Jersey at Sears and saw a bunch of Bryant jerseys hanging everywhere, eventually girls at school started talking about how cute this Kobe Bryant kid was. By November I was amazed at the fact that a 18yr old kid could play in the NBA.

sixer04fan
08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah Dirk just kind of evolved into my basketball consciousness as someone else mentioned... I always knew he was amazing as soon as I started to take notice of him I guess. I'll never forgive my Sixers for drafting Larry Hughes, when Dirk and Pierce were the very next 2 picks.

Kobe went to the other high school in my district, so everyone around here knew about his hype before he went pro.

3RDASYSTEM
08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Right on point SIXER04FAN, imagine having 2 guys who could go off for 40 on same nights with PIERCE/AI combo and that Brown D Scheme, we debate about this frequent..and Kobe arrived around his 4th or 5th season,he was a developing player playing behind Jones/Van Exel, you cant avg 7 and 15ppg and expect anybody to be talking about your game,but when he got to 28ppg then he arrived,and to back it up if he was as good as a young AI or so he would have never got swept twice in first 3yrs with that dominant Diesel fella,but hey those airballs taught him alot, made him channel his inner Jordan earlier...Kobe/Shaq combo is a disappointment when i think of they were more of a dynamic duo(basing it off my people sayin Kobe is better than MJ offensively) than Magic/Kareem and they out did'em 5 to 3 in CHIPS...but after that first title which took'em 4yrs,then he was good enough to complilment SHAQ and it led to 4 Finals n 5yrs

MU and UW Fan
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Saw Kobe play when he was in high school at Lower Merion. I was visiting family that live nearby that area. My grandpa took me to a game of his and I was amazed at what he did. Granted I was 9 years old. Then the following year I see this guy in the NBA, so I thought it was pretty cool to see a young 18 year old with promise showing off his talents that I had just recently seen.

DLeeicious
08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
After about the 4th straight year where I thought to myself nahhh Dirk can't do this again the league will figure him out.

As far as I can remember Kobe has always been great in my mind, I can't think of a specific timeframe or game where it clicked for me that he would be great.

Also, I don't really put Melo anywhere near the category of Lebron in terms of hype coming into the league. Sure he had more hype than Kobe or Dirk (a lot having to do with the national championship the prior year), but personally I never thought he was a sure thing like I did Lebron. I guess Detroit didn't either :shrug: -> but who can blame them how could they pass on Darko?

Sadds The Gr8
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM

this. i'm too young to know any of this.

Hellcrooner
08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Kobe.

Lockout Season.

Dirk , Playing for his national team around 1999 .

albertc86
08-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I first took notice of them the very first time I saw them. Same goes for the first time I took notice of anyone else I've ever seen.

JJ_JKidd
08-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Kobe - Pacers vs LA Finals

Dirk - Steve Nash, Nick Van Exel days

Meatmypet
08-11-2011, 01:20 AM
When it seemed like they swished every shot they tossed up at MSG in 2003--- when I first started watching basketball.

LakersMaster24
08-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Kobe - Pacers vs LA Finals

Dirk - Steve Nash, Nick Van Exel days

Gotta agree with the Kobe one. That's when the whole league understood that this dude is for real.

Stuckey#3
08-11-2011, 02:48 AM
I guess Detroit didn't either :shrug: -> but who can blame them how could they pass on Darko?

Marcus Fizer??? What about that Greenwood guy? Who did the Bulls pass up on to get him?

DodgerBulls
08-11-2011, 03:56 AM
For Kobe, when my cousin took me to see Kobe back in 1998 when I was still in the Philippines.

As for Dirk, around 2000-2001 season. Mainly because of the playoffs.

Slav1wanna
08-11-2011, 06:08 AM
This is something i have been wondering from people for a long time. Nower days it seems like people become stars quicker and easier.

alencp3
08-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I was only 4, but i knew real talent when Kobe air balled 4 straight 3 pointers in deciding game 5 OT against the jazz

robepp
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
My freshman year of college was Kobe's senior year in high school and so many people were coming too see him play that they couldn't hold some of the games at the high school. He had a game at our Gym at Drexel and I got to see him play there. It was like when I play with my 10 year old: dominating.

DLeeicious
08-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Marcus Fizer??? What about that Greenwood guy? Who did the Bulls pass up on to get him?

Sorry for implying that Detroit is the only team in the history of the league to pass on the better player during a draft. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Not sure exactly. Dirk's second year somewhere is when I started to really watch him in more detail. As for Kobe, he had a lot of hype coming into the NBA, so I watched him from day 1. While I thought he looked like a talented player who was going to be a very good player, I didn't see the all world talent until later in his 2nd year.

Chronz
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
When it seemed like they swished every shot they tossed up at MSG in 2003--- when I first started watching basketball.

Seems pretty late, Kobe was putting up 30-6-5 and had already 3peated

Kobe.

Lockout Season.

Dirk , Playing for his national team around 1999 .

Do you recall what game it was? What game made you say wow this guys going to be an all timer

Tony_Starks
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I watched Kobe from day one but the first time I knew he was official was playoffs against Utah. He put up those 3 airballs in the clutch but he was the only one that wasn't afraid and running from the ball. AND he was a rookie. I knew then ok this guy is foreal.

Hellcrooner
08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Do you recall what game it was? What game made you say wow this guys going to be an all timer

nope

smith&wesson
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM

this. i'm too young to know any of this.

i know neither of you like kobe. but its because you didnt grow up watching him. :D.. your still my mans.

for me it was when kobe and eddie jones were fighting for the starting spot. imagine at one point kobe had to fight for a starting spot.

I remember dirk and nash together in dallas and thought they were gonna be the best white basketball players in the league. i was soo wrong. they ended up being top 10 players respectively. never would have thought back then they would both be league mvp's.

showtym24
08-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I was 8 when kobe came into the league. I remember being so pissed when the jazz would kick our *** in the 97 and 98 playoffs. But in 2000 when he and shaq took over is pretty much when i took notice. The alley oop to shaq to clinch the finals berth and complete the game 7comeback against the jailblazers sold me forever.

lakers4sho
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I first noticed Kobe when he dunked over Rony Seikaly in high school..

Lakersfan2483
08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I have followed Kobe's career since he entered the NBA in 96. I knew he was going to be special when I saw him single handedly take over a game for the lakers against the Magic in 98. He scored 33 pts in the 2nd half and led the lakers back down from 30 against Penny and the Magic.

I felt like Kobe was going to be an all time player during his 2001 season. He really took off after that first championship and went to a whole new level.

As far as Dirk, I took notice of him during his 2001 campaign. I couldn't believe how much he improved since his rookie season in 98-99. Dirk really took off in 02-03. I knew he was going to be an all time player after that 02 03 year. I didn't predict he would be as great as he is now though.....

marj987
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Wow IDK, I only took notice of Dirk in the 06 finals, I was Waaaayyy to young to notice this but from the video I can see Dirk was garbage, And Nash and Finley were beasts.

ChiSox219
08-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Dirk: His first 3 point contest, i loved the idea of a 7 footer in a 3 point contest.

Kobe: I dunno the exact moment, i remember he was hyped early in his rookie season and then he did a dunk contest and the Sprite commercials and was getting MJ comparison.

Chronz
08-12-2011, 01:01 AM
I have followed Kobe's career since he entered the NBA in 96. I knew he was going to be special when I saw him single handedly take over a game for the lakers against the Magic in 98. He scored 33 pts in the 2nd half and led the lakers back down from 30 against Penny and the Magic.

I felt like Kobe was going to be an all time player during his 2001 season. He really took off after that first championship and went to a whole new level.

As far as Dirk, I took notice of him during his 2001 campaign. I couldn't believe how much he improved since his rookie season in 98-99. Dirk really took off in 02-03. I knew he was going to be an all time player after that 02 03 year. I didn't predict he would be as great as he is now though.....
Great game, it was Shaqs first game back in Orlando I believe.

sofa_king_great
08-12-2011, 01:26 AM
I have never heard of them.

sofa_king_great
08-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Joking...

I was like 5 when I started watching basketball and I jumped on the Lakers bandwagon (Still loved the Raptors) when they won their first championship in 2000... so thats basically when I started taking note of Kobe... but I also remember him because he was Vince's competition for best shooting guard.

I remember Dirk from when Dirk, Nash and Finley were their own "big three", but I really started paying attention to him when Nash left and he scored over 50 against the Rockets. What I will never forget is when he splashed 4 straight three-pointers on Toronto.

Bishnoff
08-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Kobe: When he got drafted/rookie season and 1997 ASW Dunk Comp.

Dirk: 2nd season in the NBA.

Raph12
08-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Dirk prior to being drafted when he tore up team usa, Kobe in the rookie challenge (it was the East vs West rooks back then) when he dropped 30+ in the loss to AI's team...

ANKUSH
08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
The one defining moment for me was this dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1O49X5k0U

It was the first memorable one he had and it came in preseason of his rookie year. After that, there was always some sort of anticipation as to what this Bryant kid would do. Chick and Stu (the Lakers announcers) played their parts well; always bringing up Kobe's talent.....Chick, in my opinion, was very good at evaluating players....when he talked, Laker fans listened.....one of the reasons Kobe's stock started going up with the fans.

Hawkeye15
08-12-2011, 06:17 PM
The one defining moment for me was this dunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1O49X5k0U

It was the first memorable one he had and it came in preseason of his rookie year. After that, there was always some sort of anticipation as to what this Bryant kid would do. Chick and Stu (the Lakers announcers) played their parts well; always bringing up Kobe's talent.....Chick, in my opinion, was very good at evaluating players....when he talked, Laker fans listened.....one of the reasons Kobe's stock started going up with the fans.

haha, that was nasty dude.

NBAfan4life
08-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I live in Minnesota. The prior year KG came into the league straight from HS. I was watching the draft and saw that Kobe was gonna do the same thing. The flashes from his rookie season created a buzz that to this day he is still my favorite player.

I dont know about Dirk. Honestly it took until this year for him to solidify his greatness. I thought he was a regular season warrior. It is not because i automatically labeled him a choker (though that was part of it). I thought his D was weak and would never carry his team to a ship.

LosDoyers1
08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Probably never really took notice of Dirk until this year. He was just unbelievable. Always thought he was a good player, not a great player. But this year, he really stepped up and proved a lot of people wrong.

As for Kobe, I probably noticed early in his career because of the comparisons to MJ. Always been a Laker fan, so I was able to see him play a lot as well.

LakersA's49ers
08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
DIRK:his days with steve
KOBE:first time I saw him I was 6, and I was totally amazed by him