PDA

View Full Version : Jereme Richmond is an Idiot

haggis
08-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Former Waukegan High School and University of Illinois basketball standout Jereme Richmond was charged Tuesday with beating a woman and threatening her with a gun.

Richmond, 19, and Matthew Riley, 22, of North Chicago, were arrested Monday afternoon outside the victim’s house after police found a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol in the car the men had driven.

After a stellar high school career at Waukegan, Richmond went on to Campaign, but left the team after his freshman year in order to enter the NBA draft.

No team drafted Richmond, however, and many speculated he had attempted to move to the professional level before he was ready.

Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Stephen Scheller said Richmond and the 17-year-old woman had a dating relationship that had soured in recent weeks.

On Sunday, Scheller said, the woman drove to Richmond’s residence in the 2000 block of Arthur Drive in Waukegan to retrieve her cellphone.

The two began to argue outside Richmond’s house, Scheller said, and Richmond shoved the woman back into her car during the ruckus.

Monday afternoon, Scheller said, Richmond and Meyer drove to the woman’s house and Richmond began to argue with her again as her mother looked on.

At one point, Scheller said, Richmond spit on the woman and said he was going to shoot her.

Richmond turned back toward the car where Meyer was seated and was searching for something when a Waukegan police car came on to the scene.

Police found the weapon in the car and took both men into custody.

Richmond is charged with aggravated battery for the Sunday incident and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and battery in the Monday matter.

He faces up to 14 years in prison if convicted in both cases, but would also be eligible for probation.

Meyer is charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

Associate Judge Raymond Collins set bond for both at $100,000 and ordered them to appear in court Aug. 18.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110809/news/708099900/

I really thought this kid was going to be something special. Really sad that he's had a bunch of bad influences in his life and has made some terrible decisions. What a waste of talent.

cubfan23
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110809/news/708099900/

I really thought this kid was going to be something special. Really sad that he's had a bunch of bad influences in his life and has made some terrible decisions. What a waste of talent.

yeah just wow, I knew he was troubled but this is just really really stupid. So dumb to go pro after the 1st year, so whoever is/was around him just wanted money and money fast.

Fresno
08-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Hes never seemed like a "thug" to me which would make a story like this not surprising.

I've always felt that he was a "kid" whos been coddled his entire life by adults into being their future. Coddled to the point when things didnt go his way, he reacted negatively due to the pressure being placed on him to succeed by people around him.
-Changing high schools

-Becoming a lockerroom distraction due to disagreements with Bruce Weber

-Entering the Draft and hiring an agent immediately

-Blowing off individual workouts after finding out they were looking at him in Round 2

His uncle coming out and claiming he is better than Kyrie Irving who went #1 & every team will regret taking him just shows you the delusional people in his life.

Also keep in mind hes still 19. Teenagers in general do crazy things over what they believe is "Love", and you can chalk this one up to it.

If he went through with it and shot her, what is it? A murder.

If he went through with it and shot her & himself, what is it? A tragedy.

Hopefully this case is resolved and this is the wakeup call he needs. If he can somehow get away from the family, AAU coaches, & other hanger-ons from Waukeagan who have built a nest around him maybe he can be something in life.

His life is following the same storyline of these HS basketball/football tragedies in which a kid doesnt realize how the people around him influenced their thoughts & actions until they're 28 or 29 and at rock bottom.

Hopefully in 10 years I'm talking about him as the starting SG for the Boston Celtics rather than a wash-up who could've been good.

Sorry for the long vent.

gocubs2118
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
yeah just wow, I knew he was troubled but this is just really really stupid. So dumb to go pro after the 1st year, so whoever is/was around him just wanted money and money fast.

Maybe if he went to class, he could of stayed in school but he didn't really have a choice. It was go to the NBA and try to get drafted or get kicked out of school.

CubbieSteve
08-10-2011, 04:08 PM
That's really sad. Kid had some potential but blew it all.