PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming HOF elegible starting Next Year

T-Girl Jenna
08-09-2011, 09:05 AM
With his recent retirement, the waiting period officially is under way for Yao Ming.

According to enshrinement guidelines for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, “A player must be fully retired for five years before being eligible for Enshrinement. He/she may then be considered for Enshrinement in the sixth year of retirement.”

Because the Rockets center appeared in five games this past season, that would have him eligible in 2017.

Or perhaps as soon as next year.

No, there will be no special exception when it comes to the required waiting period to be enshrined as a player.

However, there is no such waiting period when it comes to enshrining a “contributor.” And that could create the need for a Beijing-Springfield non-stop as soon as next summer.

John Doleva, the president and CEO of the Hall, took over from here in a Monday conversation, relating a recent conversation with a China-based reporter.

“We got into the conversation about Yao as a contributor, because of what he did to bring the global viewpoint, especially China, into the basketball family and really kind of a lot of other ways really kick-started basketball in China,” Doleva said. “If you’re a contributor, you can be nominated at any time. So that means there’s no waiting period.

“And what was determined by this individual is they actually were going to put together a group in China to nominate Yao as a contributor, so he would be eligible as early as next year.”

Such a move, however, could only come with Yao’s approval.

Doleva said he told the reporter, “You may want to check with Mr. Yao, because he may have a different feeling. And I think they’re still doing that.”

According to Hall bylaws, “A person is eligible for Enshrinement as a contributor at any time for significant contributions to the game of basketball. What constitutes a ‘significant contribution’ shall be determined by the BHOF, its Screening Committee(s) or Honors Committee(s).”

Because of his brief NBA career, Yao currently stands as a borderline candidate for induction as a player. While some also would point to his five seasons with the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association, the counter would be the collegiate careers of most domestic NBA candidates.

Yet should Yao enter as a contributor, it might make it easier to bypass the 7-foot-5 center when it comes to his eligibility as a player.

Then again, what Yao accomplished simply through his journey might just get him through both doors.

“At the end of the day,” Doleva said, “what they’re really voting on, is, ‘Is the accomplishments of this candidate worthy of Enshrinement into the Basketball Hall of Fame.’ “

Ira Winderman writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the Heat and the NBA for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. You can follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/winderman-wait-five-years-yao-could-be-in-hall-of-fame-next-year/

T-Girl Jenna
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
imo he doesnt deserve to be a hall of famer right now, but maybe 10 years from now, when we get the people that deserve to be in the hof out of the way, then let him in

m26555
08-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Hell no. The fact that some people are even considering it is ridiculous. The guy played FOUR full seasons. FOUR.

LongIslandIcedZ
08-09-2011, 09:40 AM
He did more for basketball than his 4 years would indicate though.

sixer04fan
08-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Hell no. The fact that some people are even considering it is ridiculous. The guy played FOUR full seasons. FOUR.

Unfortunately to your point, it's the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame. You have to consider his impact on the globalization of the game, his success in the NBA, on his Chinese national teams, etc. He will definitely get in. Probably not first ballot, but he's getting in.

Evolution23
08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Nope he's been too injured his whole career

Swashcuff
08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I made this thread a couple weeks ago and the nos almost doubled the yes.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633337

However no one was able to make an argument as to why he should be in the Hall, all the keep saying is that he only played for 8 seasons and wasn't a great and the fact that he has had a bigger global impact than any other international baller really means nothing. Ignorance if you ask me.

m26555
08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately to your point, it's the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame. You have to consider his impact on the globalization of the game, his success in the NBA, on his Chinese national teams, etc. He will definitely get in. Probably not first ballot, but he's getting in.
Sorry, but what "success" did he have in the NBA other than succeeding at being injured nearly every year?

m26555
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I made this thread a couple weeks ago and the nos almost doubled the yes.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633337

However no one was able to make an argument as to why he should be in the Hall, all the keep saying is that he only played for 8 seasons and wasn't a great and the fact that he has had a bigger global impact than any other international baller really means nothing. Ignorance if you ask me.
So the fact that he only played eight seasons (and only four full ones) and wasn't a great player isn't a good enough argument? I don't see how that's "ignorance." The guy's last five seasons? 57, 48, 55, 77, and FIVE games respectively. His global impact shouldn't overrule the fact that he was barely even on the floor in the NBA.

theheatles
08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
he's going to get in, 100% guarantee, but he'll probably have to wait

Swashcuff
08-09-2011, 10:42 AM
So the fact that he only played eight seasons (and only four full ones) and wasn't a great player isn't a good enough argument? I don't see how that's "ignorance." The guy's last five seasons? 57, 48, 55, 77, and FIVE games respectively. His global impact shouldn't overrule the fact that he was barely even on the floor in the NBA.

You really don't get it do you?

To say something as ignorant as Yao was not a great player is truly ignorant.
Yao ranks #21 All time in PER (23.0), #20 all time in WS/48 (.200) and #23 all time in TS% (.596). The fact that he played a considerable portion of his career injured and was still able to rank so highly in these 2 statistics speaks volumes to his worth and overall impact when he was indeed healthy. To say he wasn't great makes you sound so ignorant its not funny.

His global impact shouldn't overule that? Do you the millions the NBA has made because of Yao Ming. Not just the Rockets but the NBA on a whole. You don't understand the growth the NBA has made all because of Yao Ming? What about his FIBA accomplishments (3 gold medals as undoubtedly the team's best player)?

George Yardley, Arvydas Sabonis, Bill Walton, Bob Davies, George Mikan, Jim Pollard, Red Holzman, Drazen Petrovic, Bob Houbregs, Al Cervi, Maurice Stokes, Alfred McGuire, Buddy Jeannette and John Thompson have ALL played less games than Yao Ming in the respective NBA careers and only George Mikan (The Original G.O.A.T.) and Bill Walton has had better NBA careers than him. All these players are now NBA HOFers (Sabonis will be this coming Friday).

This is the The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame NOT the NBA Hall of Fame. Yao's global impact is greater than that of any international player ever to come into the NBA.

sixer04fan
08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but what "success" did he have in the NBA other than succeeding at being injured nearly every year?

Not even gonna bother responding to this... It's not worth my effort to try to convince you if you don't think Yao had a good NBA career. Let alone the fact that his NBA success was not the main part of my argument at all.

LakersIn5
08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
what he did in the NBA? not yet. BUT FOR WHAT HE DID FOR BASKETBALL IN GENERAL? HELL YES. so overall? a yes

synister281
08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
NBA HOF = NO
Basketball HOF = 100% Yes

Despite his lack of games played, he's the biggest thing to happen to China in years. His following was incredible if you ever got to see a Rockets game on the road. I went to a Bulls game a couple of years ago and the place was 25% Chinese people rooting for him. He is a phenom which probably won't happen for a long time for China. Their fans, if anything, deserve him being in the HOF. I guarantee travel will increase to the BBall HOF haha

Crackadalic
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME. I dont know why people can't understand that simple concept. His global resume and what he did for basketball in china should at least put in into consideration into the hall of fame. If its just nba alone then no but since it isnt I think he should be.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
NBA HOF = NO
Basketball HOF = 100% Yes

Despite his lack of games played, he's the biggest thing to happen to China in years. His following was incredible if you ever got to see a Rockets game on the road. I went to a Bulls game a couple of years ago and the place was 25% Chinese people rooting for him. He is a phenom which probably won't happen for a long time for China. Their fans, if anything, deserve him being in the HOF. I guarantee travel will increase to the BBall HOF haha
too bad there isnt one of those.

there are only two halls
BASKETBALl hof, where he will enter .
and FIba hof, where he will enter too.

JordansBulls
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
If Kevin Johnson, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller aren't in the hall then neither should Yao be.

Rivera
08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
If Kevin Johnson, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller aren't in the hall then neither should Yao be.

yao had a more global impact on the game of basketball than any of those players

again this isnt the NBA hall of fame this is the Basketball hall of fame

he was a huge reason for the international BOOM of basketball especially the market for basketball in china (theres only 1 billion people in china)

based of stats alone...no....based of the international impact he had on the game...yes

koLohe2133
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Gotta get him in before the Mayan calendar ends....

I mean, think about all the all star votes the man received!

Chronz
08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
So the fact that he only played eight seasons (and only four full ones) and wasn't a great player isn't a good enough argument? I don't see how that's "ignorance." The guy's last five seasons? 57, 48, 55, 77, and FIVE respectively. His global impact shouldn't overrule the fact that he was barely even on the floor in the NBA.

Im sorry bro but your coming off as someone who doesnt understand what the HOF is about. Like at all, that to me is the definition of ignorance.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2011, 12:21 PM

they will eventually.
Kj im not that sure.

beasted86
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
100% as a contributor. As a player, 70% chance.

beasted86
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
they will eventually.
Kj im not that sure.

I don't see how Mitch gets in and not KJ. Neither will make the Hall.

John Walls Era
08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
As a contributor? Put him in...

heyman321
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
it's not a matter of IF he's getting in, it's a matter of when. You can disagree, but he's getting in.

Lim
08-09-2011, 01:26 PM

8 seasons is a lot for someone of his stature. u expect someone 7'6 310 lbs to play 1200 games? lmfao. he will get in but not first ballot imo