PDA

View Full Version : Pick a Gasol

mzgrizz
08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Since the Playoffs, there has been more appreciation of the younger Gasol brother. Doubt there's anyone who doesn't know who Pau Gasol is. Yes they play different positions so this is an overall choice.
SO if you could have either one TODAY.......
Which Gasol do you take?

SteBO
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Pau Gasol is the more finese player and has better skill around the basket, but Marc Gasol is still in my view a developing player. He can still improve improve offensively and is much youger than Pau is. Add in the fact he's a more capable defender and can bang down low, I'd have to take Marc over Pau at this point. That's just me though.

llemon
08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Marc is younger, stronger and tougher. Easy choice

pd1dish
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Pau is great offensively but id rather have a solid big guy that can be physical down low which is much more like Marc. age also makes me lean towards Marc more.

Khalifa21
08-07-2011, 10:06 PM
For the Knicks, at this stage of their career's I would take Marc undoubtedly...

Sadds The Gr8
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Marc, because the Raptors need a center.

king4day
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Depends on team need.
As a Suns fan, we could use Pau more than Marc.
Knicks need Marc more than Pau.

Jewelz0376
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I would gladly trade Pau for Marc str8 up

Teeboy1487
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Marc. Has more upside, younger, and tougher. Pau will only get worse from here.

TO Rapz
08-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Marc for my Raptors please.

mzgrizz
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Marc for my Raptors please.

Nah man......he's not available....he's staying here in the NBA and 99.999999% (IMO) staying with the Grizzlies

Bruno
08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Depends on the team. And are we talking for next season, or from here out?

Here out has to be Marc, he's much younger. Next season the majority of NBA teams would still benefit more from having Pau.

mzgrizz
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Depends on the team. And are we talking for next season, or from here out?

Here out has to be Marc, he's much younger. Next season the majority of NBA teams would still benefit more from having Pau.

From here to their next contracts.......whenever that may be:mad:

MiamiWadeCounty
08-07-2011, 11:02 PM
We are talking about Pau Gasol right? The top 12 player, top 5 forward, and top 2 power forward? I guess in 5 years from now Marc but today and in the near future, Pau quite easily.

cowboyz180
08-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Marc because of his age. I think that Pau is a better player, but Marc has WAY too much potential to just overlook him

ManRam
08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Talk about being prisoners of the moment.

Jesus...

Pau was second in the league in win shares and posted a 23.3 PER.

He's still a significantly better player.

The question is vague though. Are we picking a guy to build around now, or are we picking the better player? Pau is still way better, but because of age, if I'm starting a team I might take Marc.

Hellcrooner
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
are people really picking a ROLE PLAYER ( for the moment) that may or may not ( i doubt it with his chuker teamates) become a 1 year all star over a certified Hall of famer?

and answering to the question.

ADRIA Gasol :p

shep33
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Both are good. Only problem with Marc, and I love him as a player, is his weight. Honestly, he's not athletic and he's heavy, I just worry that those two combined with being a 7 footer= more injury prone.

Weight on bigs is what kills them. Ruins the knees. But I hope I'm wrong, cause the guy is a boss. I'd take Pau with everything being said. Since Pau has been with the Lakers for 3.5 years, they've made it to 3 finals and won 2.... not bad lol

ManRam
08-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Marc's "potential" will never surpass anything Pau has accomplished and can do...

Giraffes Rule
08-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Depends. If it's who would I take to put on the Spurs right now, Pau would fit in better. If it's who I'd rather have if I were starting a team from scratch it's Marc. There are more good power forwards than there are good centers.

TheRunKiller
08-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Marc, because the Raptors need a center.

that aint the only thing the raptors need

TheRunKiller
08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd go with Marc, Pau is too soft he avoids contact, if teams play him physical they can take him out the game.

Hellcrooner
08-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd go with Marc, Pau is too soft he avoids contact, if teams play him physical they can take him out the game.

only when refs allow it ( wich is very often lately) wich is a COMPELTE DISGRACE .

A foul should be a foul no matter whos fouling who,

Bruno
08-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Talk about being prisoners of the moment.

Jesus...

Pau was second in the league in win shares and posted a 23.3 PER.

He's still a significantly better player.

The question is vague though. Are we picking a guy to build around now, or are we picking the better player? Pau is still way better, but because of age, if I'm starting a team I might take Marc.

Regular season. Gasol displayed a dramatic drop off in production and efficiency once the real season started:

2011 Playoffs:

Pau Gasol (10 games)- PER- 17.3, TS%- .497, WS- 0.9, WS/48- 0.115
Marc Gasol (13 games)- PER- 18.9, TS%- .563, WS- 1.7, WS/48- 0.153.

I think most would take Pau for next season without thinking twice about it, I would. But he's 31, and is coming off a poor playoffs. The OP wanted the question to be applied through the end of their current contracts. Pau is signed through the end of 2014, Marc is signed through the end of next season and that's it.

So, since Marcs contract is ending next season, the answer should be Pau. But lets say if Marc was signed through 2014 like Pau, it'd make the question a bit more interesting, as Pau would be in his mid 30's by the time this current contract ends.

Bruno
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Marc's "potential" will never surpass anything Pau has accomplished and can do...

I don't think he'll match his brothers peaks/accolades either.

John Walls Era
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Got a bunch of Skip Bayless' in here. Prisoners of the moment, Now everyone probably thinks ZBo is a great team player too and a top 4 PF (O wait they do).

Marc has potential and obviously I rather start a franchise with Marc as I would get more mileage. But for 1 year? Give me Gasol over every PF outside of Dirk.

Avenged
08-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Well for a couple of more seasons I would take the way better half in Pau. (a top 10-15 player)

Other than age, I don't see why anyone would go with Marc, especially after the season he just had.

Hellcrooner
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Well for a couple of more seasons I would take the way better half in Pau. (a top 10-15 player)

Other than age, I don't see why anyone would go with Marc, especially after the season he just had.

well the season was kind strange, Regular season Pau was better than Marc.
But Playoffs where the other way Around.

Avenged
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
well the season was kind strange, Regular season Pau was better than Marc.
But Playoffs where the other way Around.

No doubt. But I truly doubt this was because of a decline in Pau. There's just no way a player drops off by that much in a course of the end of a reg season to the playoffs. There was obviously something going on with Pau (as has been reported by the media, and Bynum slipping up and saying something).

Besides, a regular season is a much larger sample size since more games are played as compared to the post season.

Marc is a solid role player, but not a #2, and in my opinion I don't ever see him being as good as his brother.

beasted86
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
For 1 season, Pau easily.

For the next 5 years, Marc.

rockbottom2010
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
marc all day....he has craaazy potential

naps
08-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Dumb question. Pau is the better player hands down for now and may be next 2 years. If you are talking about far future then ofcourse it's the younger gasol. Not a tough choice at all.

Chronz
08-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Pau if this playoff run was just a slump and not a sign that hes reverting to his previous, soft form.

PurpleJesus
08-08-2011, 02:39 AM
the majority of people are really choosing Marc?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2011, 04:08 AM
For the Raptors, I got Marc since he plays C.

bolts4ever
08-08-2011, 04:10 AM
either people arent being honest or they dont know basketball!!!!
PAU easy answer

Stats 2010-11
Pau 18.8pts 10rebs 3ass (hes superior in every phase of the game)

Marc 11.7pts 7rebs 2.5ass

Lim
08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
lool pau plays bad for 10 games in the playoffs and everyone jumps off the pau gasol band wagon. marc was better than pau for 10 games, that is it

ManRam
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
No doubt. But I truly doubt this was because of a decline in Pau. There's just no way a player drops off by that much in a course of the end of a reg season to the playoffs. There was obviously something going on with Pau (as has been reported by the media, and Bynum slipping up and saying something).

Besides, a regular season is a much larger sample size since more games are played as compared to the post season.

Marc is a solid role player, but not a #2, and in my opinion I don't ever see him being as good as his brother.

Yeah.

How can anyone possibly say the guy who was second in the league in win shares is declining? Sure, he had a poor playoff run, but that's a much smaller sample size than an entire regular season.

And I also fail to see Marc's "crazy potential". He'll be a solid center for a long time, but nothing much more than solid. #3 option is his peak, #2 on a bad team maybe. Pau's been a #2 option on championship teams, and #1 options on others.

Lim
08-08-2011, 11:07 AM
are people really picking a ROLE PLAYER ( for the moment) that may or may not ( i doubt it with his chuker teamates) become a 1 year all star over a certified Hall of famer?

and answering to the question.

ADRIA Gasol :p

is he 7 ft tall too?

Foye
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Marc. younger and better fit next to Love.

Evolution23
08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Call me crazy but I would still take Pau, I think Marc is very overrated and is not a game changer. Think about it this way. Would Kobe have won 2 rings with Marc Gasol as his 2nd best player? I doubt it.

Sportfan
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
VOTE FOR MARC! Only because MWC and JWE have the other one

Hellcrooner
08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
is he 7 ft tall too?

not yet, i think he is 6,8.
but he is 15

J-Relo
08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Pau is better right now.

John Walls Era
08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
VOTE FOR MARC! Only because MWC and JWE have the other one

I don't know who they are, but I'm pretty sure that JWE guy is pretty awesome.

Swashcuff
08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Every single thing ManRam said is exactly how I feel about this topic.

todu82
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Pau Gasol

Brooklyn Mets
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Marc

TMAC94
08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
marc gasol, id love him on the rockets

DwayneMVPwade
08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
For the Raptors Ill take Marc Gasol

Tony_Starks
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Still got love for Pau. When he's on his game he's one of the best most versatile bigs in the league....

iFYouSeekAmy
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Marc for me.

MrfadeawayJB
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
ok people, Pau is obviously the better overall player, so if your choosing the best player you take Pau. However Marc is no scrub himself, and plays a different style of ball. I would take Marc simply because i like 7 footers who play to their height. To me Pau plays like he is 6'9 ala Carlos Boozer

Hellcrooner
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
ok people, Pau is obviously the better overall player, so if your choosing the best player you take Pau. However Marc is no scrub himself, and plays a different style of ball. I would take Marc simply because i like 7 footers who play to their height. To me Pau plays like he is 6'9 ala Carlos Boozer
then yo have to absoltely hate Dirk, who plays like if he was a 6,5 sg....

Gators123
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Marc, just because of age. If Pau was a few years younger I'd take him easily.

MrfadeawayJB
08-08-2011, 11:30 PM
then yo have to absoltely hate Dirk, who plays like if he was a 6,5 sg....

at times i did, but then later i began to appreciate that Dirk is not a pf. He is on the stat sheet because of his size, but we all know that he is really a slow and tall sf at heart. Pf just gets him more mismatches

Swashcuff
08-08-2011, 11:41 PM
at times i did, but then later i began to appreciate that Dirk is not a pf. He is on the stat sheet because of his size, but we all know that he is really a slow and tall sf at heart. Pf just gets him more mismatches

So you also rather Marc over Dirk as well right?

Stuckey#3
08-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Pau. What Marc did last year was impressive... but I'm not 100% convinced he is going to be a top big in the league. Pau is a sure thing; even if he's soft he will still put up points in the clutch and a good amount of boards.

Stuckey#3
08-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Still that trade a few years ago is getting better and better for Memphis.

ackar
08-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Really people are taking Marc because he is younger and has potential not a big Pau fan but he is way more talented than his younger brother will ever be. This is what happen when fantasy sports is weighed instead of looking at the body of work. Marc will never be what Pau is now let alone how he carried the Lakers to their last title. Marc is a role player and serviceable starter at best unless something drastically changes.

EaglePride615
08-09-2011, 01:59 AM
marc on the heat. omggggggg

MrfadeawayJB
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
So you also rather Marc over Dirk as well right?

I never said that. I'm just saying Pau and Marc are both post players. Marc is the tougher of the two, and thats what i want in a post player. Pau is the better player as of now, and probably always will be. If i want a C on my team i'm taking Marc over Pau. Pau is a soft post player, while Dirk is a soft SF Larry Bird type that just plays pf.

Swashcuff
08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I never said that. I'm just saying Pau and Marc are both post players. Marc is the tougher of the two, and thats what i want in a post player. Pau is the better player as of now, and probably always will be. If i want a C on my team i'm taking Marc over Pau. Pau is a soft post player, while Dirk is a soft SF Larry Bird type that just plays pf.

You said you rather 7 footer who plays up to his size. A 7 footer doesn't necessarily have to be a C you know.

Tell me something knowing what we knew after their first 3 seasons in the league which of these 3 players would you choose to start your team with and in what order.

You are not taking them to play C however you are taking them to play their natural position. Either way as a C Pau is still a better player than Marc, there is more to playing the position than toughness.

SteBO
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
You said you rather 7 footer who plays up to his size. A 7 footer doesn't necessarily have to be a C you know.

Tell me something knowing what we knew after their first 3 seasons in the league which of these 3 players would you choose to start your team with and in what order.

You are not taking them to play C however you are taking them to play their natural position. Either way as a C Pau is still a better player than Marc, there is more to playing the position than toughness.
Can't argue with this, as usual.

I went with Marc because I was assuming the OP was speaking in terms of now and in the future for the most part. Pau is older now, and Marc still has so much for improvement, but it isn't really debatable that Pau is a better player right now than Marc.

MrfadeawayJB
08-09-2011, 10:17 PM

fair enough. I'm addressing the question in the context of what Gasol I would rather have, and seeing that my team (Memphis Grizzlies) already has a potential top 10 pf on it, I would prefer Marc over Pau. I already stated that Pau is indeed the better of the two brothers and probably always will be.

I would take them talent wise and position wise in this order if i had them in one season:
1)Dirk
2)Pau
3)Marc

justinnum1
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Marc, pau is overrated.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Can't argue with this, as usual.

I went with Marc because I was assuming the OP was speaking in terms of now and in the future for the most part. Pau is older now, and Marc still has so much for improvement, but it isn't really debatable that Pau is a better player right now than Marc.

thats curious because for miami the big three + marc = question marc :p bout if they win or no.

but big three + pau would be game over to the league for 2 or 3 seasons.

mzgrizz
08-09-2011, 11:03 PM
As the OP, I should have been way more specific. I meant AT THIS TIME. That's either of them moving forward from this point in time. Obvious to me that overall Pau is/was the better player all around over the past few years, but if you start from August 2011 who would you pick ? Marc or Pau? Having had the privilege of having both on the Grizzlies at different points in time; I choose Marc. Marc has contributed more to the success of the Grizzlies than Pau ever did.

Swashcuff
08-09-2011, 11:15 PM
As the OP, I should have been way more specific. I meant AT THIS TIME. That's either of them moving forward from this point in time. Obvious to me that overall Pau is/was the better player all around over the past few years, but if you start from August 2011 who would you pick ? Marc or Pau? Having had the privilege of having both on the Grizzlies at different points in time; I choose Marc. Marc has contributed more to the success of the Grizzlies than Pau ever did.

Marc has what?

Did Marc single handily take the team from obscurity to respectability out west? I think not. Marc came along for the ride Pau made the Grizz a recognizable franchise in the NBA. Replace Marc with Gortat, Chandler, Noah, Bynum, etc and you get the same contribution.

There is no way Marc would have done for the Grizz what Pau was able to. Had Pau been given an adequate supporting cast (been the 3rd/4th best player on the team) OF COURSE his teams would have made it past the first round out West.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Marc contributed, Pau lead.

Bravo95
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I was going to pick Marc because of what the Hawks need on the defensive end, but thought about how much better this team would be if they ran the offense through Pau in the low post (and hired a coach that knew how to run an offense) so he gets my vote.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Come on Madam, you should knoe better than that.

Pau went to a Grizzlies that had never won more than 22 games in a season.

three seasons in his grizz career he lead them to 50 wins and their first three playoff appearances.

it would have been four straight up if he didnt injury in the summer and team didnt trade many important pieces like battier and posey.

did i meantion that he lead them to playoffs in a wild wild wild west and with NO PAST , PRESENT ( at that moment) or FUTURE ( as of today 10 aug 2011) all star help in the team?

You chance Marc for Pau last season, and as long as he is being used as first option and not being questioned by the Ballhog 3 1/2 ( Zach, Gay, Mayo and conley ( who is the half) ) you would ahve had a REAL chance to take down the Thunder, the Mavs and maybe the heat.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2011, 11:21 PM
I was going to pick Marc because of what the Hawks need on the defensive end, but thought about how much better this team would be if they ran the offense through Pau in the low post (and hired a coach that knew how to run an offense) so he gets my vote.

funny thing is many "laker" fans after his playffs this year would trade Pau for J Smith straight up.

This woudl allow Horford to play mroe comfortable at PF and only god knows how far hawks coudl get.

Bravo95
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
funny thing is many "laker" fans after his playffs this year would trade Pau for J Smith straight up.

This woudl allow Horford to play mroe comfortable at PF and only god knows how far hawks coudl get.
A lot of people just don't know how much a great passer in the post really means to the team until you know longer have him. No more ballhogging from Joe and Josh but they would need another acquire another shooter to sit in the corner. Pau does work while Al cleans up the put-backs and vice versa. That would be tough.