PDA

View Full Version : PROS and CONS

SkyDOME4Eva
08-07-2011, 02:11 AM
I just wrote a little list of Pros and Cons for the team heading into next season. Feel free to write your own lists.

pros:

1. Lawrie is up with the big club and will only get better with more experience.

2. Colby Rasmus seems like a pretty solid center fielder.

3. Lind has been pretty good at first base defensively and good with the bat too. I'm sure he'll continue it next season.

4. I know some ppl might think Bautista will start slowing down soon, but i think he will continue to hit around 30 home runs for atleast 2 or 3 more years.

5. Ricky Romero. You can always count on this guy to go out there and give his all, and he's got a lot of talent too.

Cons:

1. THE BULLPEN...our best pitcher is JANSSEN lol and i'm hoping Villanueva will be back in there next season. We need to add some pitchers next season BADLY

2. AAron Hill, Honestly. I feel like this guy has just completely given up and i'm not sure what the Jays will do with him. But I can't stand seeing him up there poppin up balls like crazy.

3. Snider. I'd love to see this guy tear it up and I think he has the ability. Will he figure things out though? I'm not too sure he will.

4. Jose Molina as our back up. I don't mind the guy too much. But the laziness with catching the ball is annoying sometimes and his lack of any speed lol

5. Brandon Morrow. I'm kinda nervous about his slow starts to seasons and his inconsistency. One game he's close to a no hitter and the next he's giving up 5 runs in an inning. He's got the talent, but just needs the consistency.

jaysfan21
08-07-2011, 06:22 AM
dont know how molina is a con, hes a very solid, good defensively backup catcher:confused:

Halladay
08-07-2011, 07:49 AM
dont know how molina is a con, hes a very solid, good defensively backup catcher:confused:

THIS year Molina has been good, every other year? yeah, not so much. He's having a career year and the only reason he's been around so long is because of the name on the back of his jersey. This season is an anomaly. I wouldn't expect him to hit this well again next season, the guys 36 there's got to be better options assuming he reverts back to his career norms and no, I don't buy into the whole thing with certain pitchers preferring him. It's total BS and is just a way to justify having a pretty useless backup catcher around.

Valleyfella
08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
The real con for me is starting pitching. You can go out and get relief pitching through free agency and trades, but front line starters are hard to come by. Romero is very good, but not an ace in the Sabbathia, Lester, Halladay mold. He's more an excellent #2. Morrow has great stuff but consistency remains a problem and Cecil has looked good recently, but spent a good chunk of this year in the minors due to ineffectiveness. In the AL East where you have to win 95 playing a third of your schedule against the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays, that won't cut it.

They need either a true ace or two more quality starters.

wamco
08-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I'd take out molina as a con, back up catcher? who cares.

I'd put in the following instead : Drabek has gone backwards from last season and he was relied on for a major piece of the rebuild.

Also, the yanks, tb and sox continue to be strong at the mlb level as well as the minor league systems with tb having jennings, cobb come up this year and play well with other top prospects ready to arrive. yanks about to call up montero and have 2 or 3 highly touted arms about ready as well.

Under pros you have to mention Gose, D', and Alvarez while not forgetting about Thames development and Yunell's bounceback season

For wildcards you gotta put JPA and Cecil in there.

GNick
08-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Chemistry also...with so much youth...I would balance it out some with a couple of veterans who have won before. Or at least been in a few pennant races

JMac4PM
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
con: Dwayne Murphys hitting philosophy

LuckyLuke2
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah I don't get how Molina is a con. The guy is a solid backup, and although this year is his best offensively, he is a solid leader. Something this young Jays team needs. I agree with all your pros for the most part... but I would like to add in one. All in all John Farrell's tactics have looked good so far. The base stealing, the bunting, the hit and running, I like it all.

However, also for cons, Morrow is not a con. He began the season injured and although some early starts looked shaky, he has been solid as our number 2. He's still young, and he has the stuff to become our ace besides Romero of course.

Lawless13
08-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro: Team atmosphere

More than I have seen in the past this Jays team feels like a 'team'. The guys seem to get a long well and Bautista seems like the kind of leader who keeps the team focused while also creating an up beat atmosphere. While the Yankees and Red Sox can afford to bring his priced talent in every year for the Jays to compete while spending less $ they need to squeeze every ounce of talent out of their players and part of doing that is having an atmosphere where players WANT to play for each other.

McJoe
08-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't think Molina or Morrow are cons. Morrow leads the league in K/9 and has a career best, at any level, 3.31 BB/9. He's got a real strong 3.16 K/BB which is nice too. His control is getting better. If he can do it over a full season he's dangerous. And Molina brings a great defensive catcher to help JP learn. The fact that he's hitting .303 is only a bonus.

GNick
08-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I would add a couple of 30 something veterans who have won before or been in a few pennant races. I've seen great teams here in the '80s but couldn't win too much youth. Don't want to make that same mistakes again - cost us a couple of World Series appearances and probably a World Series win if not too. Too many young players tend to panic when things start to go wrong. Which snowballs it. The great collapse in '87 pennant race or collapse being up 3-1 in Kansas City in '85 are a few examples.

It wasn't until we traded for the David Cones, Paul Molitors, Jack Morris, Dave Winfields or Dave Stewarts did we become a winner.

wamco
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
we didn't trade for most of them

Nick O
08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Pros.... Jon Rauch looks really cool

Con ... he sucks... :P

but ya our bullpen is crap.... our young guys havnt been bad but theyve been a bit dissapointing...

but we have bautista.... theres a positive :P

the_jon
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Pros:

- Good young core
- Legit superstar (Bautista)
- One of the leagues strongest and deepest farms

Cons:

- Lack of a PROVEN ace (Ricky hasn't done enough YET although he would be the best pitcher on many teams right now)
- No true #2 starter (Assuming Rickys the ace of the future)
- And if we're being realistic, no true #3 starter
- Honestly not that impressed with our pitching prospects right now but that would change if 3 of Beede/Norris/Comer/Stilson all signed
- No bullpen to speak of

I may come off as pessimistic in this post but I'm really actually very happy with the way things are right now. We're still awhile from being a true contender but we're definitely on the right path. This is the first time i've truly felt that way since I became a fan 10 years ago.

Toxeryll
08-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Pro: Alex Anthopolous

13Lawrie13
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Pros:

- Good young core
- Legit superstar (Bautista)
- One of the leagues strongest and deepest farms

Cons:

- Lack of a PROVEN ace (Ricky hasn't done enough YET although he would be the best pitcher on many teams right now)
- No true #2 starter (Assuming Rickys the ace of the future)
- And if we're being realistic, no true #3 starter
- Honestly not that impressed with our pitching prospects right now but that would change if 3 of Beede/Norris/Comer/Stilson all signed
- No bullpen to speak of

I may come off as pessimistic in this post but I'm really actually very happy with the way things are right now. We're still awhile from being a true contender but we're definitely on the right path. This is the first time i've truly felt that way since I became a fan 10 years ago.

Morrow's xFIP is 3.27.

He's been very unlucky this year, and is right on the verge of becoming a very, very good number 2.

If we were to acquire a legitimate ace, and Morrow has a breakthrough like I predict he will, we could have a top-3 that could contend anyone in the league (exluding the Phillies).

the_jon
08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Morrow's xFIP is 3.27.

He's been very unlucky this year, and is right on the verge of becoming a very, very good number 2.

If we were to acquire a legitimate ace, and Morrow has a breakthrough like I predict he will, we could have a top-3 that could contend anyone in the league (exluding the Phillies).
I agree. He's definitely number 3 material (maybe even 2), but I'm talking about our lack of proven guys. That's why I put #1 pitcher as a weakness even though we have Ricky. At this point I'd say Ricky's at least a good 2, Morrow is at least a good 4. I think he'll breakthrough too but we still don't know that for sure right now.

13Lawrie13
08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I agree. He's definitely number 3 material (maybe even 2), but I'm talking about our lack of proven guys. That's why I put #1 pitcher as a weakness even though we have Ricky. At this point I'd say Ricky's at least a good 2, Morrow is at least a good 4. I think he'll breakthrough too but we still don't know that for sure right now.

Right now Ricky is a great #2, and Morrow is a great #4.

I most definitely agree that we should get an ace. Pitching is so important in the playoffs, and an ace, along with a Morrow breakout, would give us a great three man rotation for the playoffs.

I also think Cecil can be a really, really good #4 and then we can just fill the #5 slot with an internal option like McGowan, Drabek, Alvarez or whoever else impresses.

Bombtista
08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
You think Morrow is a number 4 pitcher?

How good to you expect our rotation to be where Morrow would be anything but 2 or 3. Maybe even an ace in years to come.

He has been quite inconsistent along with a very slow start so his numbers dont show what he could be next year even.

13Lawrie13
08-07-2011, 10:44 PM

How good to you expect our rotation to be where Morrow would be anything but 2 or 3. Maybe even an ace in years to come.

He has been quite inconsistent along with a very slow start so his numbers dont show what he could be next year even.

At the moment, his performance doesn't meet his abilities.

Although I truly believe Morrow will be a great #2 (preferably #3 with an ace and Ricky in front of him), his performance, at the moment, is that of a number four. I fully expect his ERA to start reflecting his xFIP, which would make him a great #2.

Just give it time.

nithanyo
08-07-2011, 10:45 PM

in an ideal world series team Morrow would be a 3-4. Romero is a 2-3. This team is really lacking an ace. The rest of the rotation can be filled from within. Morrow is a good number 2 in the future. But thats only when he can pitch with consistency

wamco
08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
morrow is aj burnett, the sooner that is accepted, the better.