PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson: "If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have retired" (video/text))

Bruno
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/magic-johnson-retirement-regrets_n_917495.html

During a sit down with Bill Plashke of the Los Angeles Times, Magic Johnson opened up about his basketball career, and even expressed regret over retiring immediately after he learned that he had contracted the HIV virus.

"If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have retired," he said.

Johnson's sudden retirement announcement in the fall of 1991 remains one of the most shocking moments in sports history.

During the interview with Plashke, Johnson also expressed the betrayal he felt when some of his fellow players expressed an unwillingness to play against him.

"I had just played with these guys at the Olympics," Johnson said. "Then I get back home and said I'm coming back to the NBA and the same guys that I went to war with in the Olympics came out and said 'No, I think I'm going to get HIV.'"

Johnson played in the NBA for 13 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers and was inducted into the Pro Basketball Hall Of Fame in 2002.

Video via the Los Angeles Times.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2011, 06:18 PM
you should have showcased the " i did retire for the benefit of the league, because the league didnt want a strong lakers team anymore" part.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
1991 was a different time, people thought you could catch AIDS from toilet seats.

I still don't think an HIV infected player can play in the league, there's too much of a risk of blood transmitting somehow.

Lim
08-04-2011, 06:24 PM
who the hell gets aids anyways? wrap it up dumbasses

Bruno
08-04-2011, 06:24 PM
you should have showcased the " i did retire for the benefit of the league, because the league didnt want a strong lakers team anymore" part.

Thats clearly what Karl Malones ignoramus intention was, in regards to his statements on Magics return.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
I always wondered if mosquitos could transmit the HIV virus. Say they bite someone with AIDS, then they bite you. Are you totally screwed?

Bruno
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
who the hell gets aids anyways? wrap it up dumbasses

:facepalm:
Millions of people have HIV. And because of Magic Johnson a lot less people have it world wide because of his awareness campaign. Show some respect for a legend who paved the way for STD awareness and safer sex awareness.

NYKNYGNYY
08-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I always wondered if mosquitos could transmit the HIV virus. Say they bite someone with AIDS, then they bite you. Are you totally screwed?

lol no...dont you think that if it was possible half the world would have aids?

sep11ie
08-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Maybe we do.

Trace
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM

1. Mosquitos digest the HIV virus, the virus is not alive long enough to reproduce in large quantities. Diseases like malaria are refractory (sometimes immune) to digestive enzymes, thereby allowing it survive and reproduce for long periods of time.

2. Mosquitos do not ingest enough HIV particles to transmit AIDS by contamination.

3. A mosquito's salivary gland/food canal are separate passageways. It's feeding canal is unidirectional (meaning the blood moves in only one direction).

So no it's impossible.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
it was ignorance. players just didnt know any better back then. actually the world was less informed of hiv and aids back then. i can understand why they didnt want to take the risk. magic should respect that. he even says himself "if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have retired". well if players back then knew what they all know now they probably wouldnt be as scared to play with him.

RLundi
08-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Why would half the world have AIDS? Do mosquitoes only bite people with AIDS? Only .06% of the population has it anyway.

No, mosquitos don't transfer blood from bites. They don't inject blood, they inject saliva.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
it was ignorance. players just didnt know any better back then. actually the world was less informed of hiv and aids back then. i can understand why they didnt want to take the risk. magic should respect that. he even says himself "if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have retired". well if players back then knew what they all know now they probably wouldnt be as scared to play with him.

Magic Johnson getting HIV upped STD awareness world-wide. Future generations have benefited from his misfortune.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 06:53 PM
so did magic find the cure ? i think you can be cured from hiv but not from full blown aids. i dont think he ever had aids. he was always in the hiv stage.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Magic Johnson getting HIV upped STD awareness world-wide. Future generations have benefited from his misfortune.

i know this. and im not taking that away from him. just his comments about feeling betrayed by fellow nba players because they were too scared to play with him. i think that he shouldnt really take it to heart. people were in fear because they didnt know any better. and he admits that he didnt know any better either other wise he would have continued to play. thats all im saying. im not knocking the man in any way.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 07:14 PM
i know this. and im not taking that away from him. just his comments about feeling betrayed by fellow nba players because they were too scared to play with him. i think that he shouldnt really take it to heart. people were in fear because they didnt know any better. and he admits that he didnt know any better either other wise he would have continued to play. thats all im saying. im not knocking the man in any way.

Point taken, but I think the real issue is the hypocrisy of his team USA teammates. They had no problem having him compete with them for the Gold, working in practice together. But suddenly when it's the NBA they become concerned for their own health? There a hypocracy there, and I agree with Magic that it has more to do with them not wanting the Lakers to be strong than anything else.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
so did magic find the cure ? i think you can be cured from hiv but not from full blown aids. i dont think he ever had aids. he was always in the hiv stage.

Magics HIV never developed into full-blown AIDs. He has not been cured, but the virus is dormant in his system (because he takes the best medication in the world and has done a great job taking care of himself since).

Tanakid777
08-04-2011, 07:22 PM
U.S. Patent # 5676977

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Magics HIV never developed into full-blown AIDs. He has not been cured, but the virus is dormant in his system (because he takes the best medication in the world and has done a great job taking care of himself since).

he is very lucky and blessed.

smith&wesson
08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Point taken, but I think the real issue is the hypocrisy of his team USA teammates. They had no problem having him compete with them for the Gold, working in practice together. But suddenly when it's the NBA they become concerned for their own health? There a hypocracy there, and I agree with Magic that it has more to do with them not wanting the Lakers to be strong than anything else.

true. cant argue that.

llemon
08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
true. cant argue that.

Being his teammate and having to physically defend him at the rim are two EXTREMELY different things in this case.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Being his teammate and having to physically defend him at the rim are two EXTREMELY different things in this case.

Not with the Dream Team in '92. That team was composed of some of the most prideful players in NBA history. They went hard all out against each-other in practice; practice with The Dream team in '92 was really just a competition of who's is biggest. Multiple players from the '92 have made testimony to this. Those practices had the intensity of games.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Somewhat true. But it was not like the Lakers would have benefited greatly if Magic still played. Michael Jordan's Bulls pretty much took care of business almost every year.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Somewhat true. But it was not like the Lakers would have benefited greatly if Magic still played. Michael Jordan's Bulls pretty much took care of business almost every year.

Really? Having the greatest PG in league history at the age of 32 wouldn't have benefited the '92 Lakers?

JNA17
08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Really? Having the greatest PG in league history at the age of 32 wouldn't have benefited the '92 Lakers?

No not really. Think about it, if Magic still played throughout his career. There would still be no championships, no chance of acquiring Shaq or Kobe lettle alone getting both of them, no three peat in 2000-2002, etc. That little detail would affect the lakers history from 1992 and on negatively.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 08:41 PM
No not really. Think about it, if Magic still played throughout his career. There would still be no championships, no chance of acquiring Shaq or Kobe lettle alone getting both of them, no three peat in 2000-2002, etc. That little detail would affect the lakers history from 1992 and on negatively.

You're making the assumption that Dr. Buss would have stood pat with his '91 lineup. Throughout his 31 years as owner of the LA Lakers he has always spent the money necessary to compete. After watching the '91 4-1 Finals, he would have done everything in his power to bring a serviceable big to play aside Magic.

He didn't because Magic left, and the rebuilding cycle became inevitable. With Magic on board, totally different ball game. Magic was extremely effective even in 96, at the age of 36, check the stats. With a serviceable big the Lakers could have made a lot of noise in the playoffs from '92-'95.

Why would Magic remaining on the Lakers keep them from acquiring Shaq? I think Shaq would have loved to have teamed up with an older Magic. A 36 year old Magic being on the Lakers wouldn't have kept Shaq from signing in FA, IMO.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
You're making the assumption that Dr. Buss would have stood pat with his '91 lineup. Throughout his 31 years as owner of the LA Lakers he has always spent the money necessary to compete. After watching the '91 4-1 Finals, he would have done everything in his power to bring a serviceable big to play aside Magic.

He didn't because Magic left, and the rebuilding cycle became inevitable. With Magic on board, totally different ball game. Magic was extremely effective even in 96, at the age of 36, check the stats. With a serviceable big the Lakers could have made a lot of noise in the playoffs from '92-'95.

Why would Magic remaining on the Lakers keep them from acquiring Shaq? I think Shaq would have loved to have teamed up with an older Magic. A 36 year old Magic being on the Lakers wouldn't have kept Shaq from signing in FA, IMO.

I'm not saying the lakers would have just done nothing with the roster. But it would have been useless either way. Michael Jordan and his Bulls honestly were just too damn good to be stopped. If the 91 Lakers got blown away by the Bulls in the finals, they weren't gonna beat the Bulls later on. It was pretty much the Jordan Era from there and Lakers were better off rebuilding a whole new roster. No matter what player they could have acquired.

Well beside the salary issue, Shaq wanted to be THE MAN in LA. Despite how old and past his prime Magic was in 1995 or 1996, he was still loved and praised by many fans.

Bruno
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm not saying the lakers would have just done nothing with the roster. But it would have been useless either way. Michael Jordan and his Bulls honestly were just too damn good to be stopped. If the 91 Lakers got blown away by the Bulls in the finals, they weren't gonna beat the Bulls later on. It was pretty much the Jordan Era from there and Lakers were better off rebuilding a whole new roster. No matter what player they could have acquired.

Well beside the salary issue, Shaq wanted to be THE MAN in LA. Despite how old and past his prime Magic was in 1995 or 1996, he was still loved and praised by many fans.

I know the Bulls were great, not disputing that. I'm saying that things would have gotten a lot more interesting had Buss spent the money, or worked a deal to bring in an all-star quality big for Magic to play with post KAJ. The '91 team didn't have enough to get it done. When he recognizes that, he normally tweaks things so the team can compete; no reason to think he wouldn't have attempted to do that for Magic after the '91 4-1 vs. the Bulls. That my key point, the Lakers could have been good enough had the right deal been made. Jordans-Bulls didn't beat show-time; that LA team didn't have a good big man. What if they did?

Even if I agree with your theory on the Bulls, what about '94 and '95? No MJ.

Doesn't matter how much Magic was loved, he was on his way out. He would have gotten 1-2 years with Shaq at the most before having to retire. And that's with the assumption that he didn't deal with any injuries during this hypothetical '92-'95 run. Shaq had already finished 2nd in MVP voting in 1995 with Orlando. With or without Magic, a prime Shaq would have been the man in LA.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I know the Bulls were great, not disputing that. I'm saying that things would have gotten a lot more interesting had Buss spent the money, or worked a deal to bring in an all-star quality big for Magic to play with post KAJ. The '91 team didn't have enough to get it done. When he recognizes that, he normally tweaks things so the team can compete; no reason to think he wouldn't have attempted to do that for Magic after the '91 4-1 vs. the Bulls. That my key point, the Lakers could have been good enough had the right deal been made. Jordans-Bulls didn't beat show-time; that LA team didn't have a good big man. What if they did?

Even if I agree with your theory on the Bulls, what about '94 and '95? No MJ.

Doesn't matter how much Magic was loved, he was on his way out. He would have gotten 1-2 years with Shaq at the most before having to retire. And that's with the assumption that he didn't deal with any injuries during this hypothetical '92-'95 run. Shaq had already finished 2nd in MVP voting in 1995 with Orlando. With or without Magic, a prime Shaq would have been the man in LA.

If Buss actually did some tweaks with the team. What did he do with the Lakers when they lost to the Pistons in 1989 and when Kareem retired? Get Vlade Divac? We still had almost the same exact players, well the core players anyway. Bryan Scott, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, A.C. Green, etc. He didn't really change much of anything. He just has his big moments sometimes. In fact forget that, what is he doing for the Lakers now? Their still not attempting to make a move for Dwight or a much better PG, the bench has gotten worse over the last 2 or 3 years, and nothing has been really done about it. Just like the early 90s. Again, he has his moments, but most of the time, he will stay with what's "good enough".

And I'm pretty sure the Bulls did beat Show-Time. No, not just beat, CRUSHED show time. And I'm a Lakers fan saying this :(. Bulls had the best player, best right hand man (Scottie Pippen), best role players with great defense, and the coach that would soon be known as the greatest coach of all time (Phil Jackson). Even if the Lakers did get a better big-man, it would not have mattered. It would have been the same result like the Jazz. Great PG, Great bigman, great role players, no dice.

As for 94 and 95, Magic would be in his decline phase (you also have to remember that just because Magic did pretty well in 95, he also took a huge break like Jordan did for baseball). The team would also be a lot older, it would be like the Celtics of today. The Rockets were in their prime at the right time and would have put a number with their center Hakeem.

Maybe, yet it's still kind of redundant. Even if they somehow did get Shaq, there would be no Kobe, which means no three peat in the early 2000s, which also means no two point in 2009 and 2010, which means Shaq would have bailed even earlier and went somewhere else.

gaughan333
08-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't want to play with someone who has aids either. The chance of getting it, as small as it may be would deter me.

Hellcrooner
08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
bulls won in 91 with an injured worhty.

When magic retired buss decided it was time to rebuild and started moving pieces like Perkins for a pack of chips.

had magic still be there he would have done his best to get him help to win.
Maybe get in the Barkley trade sweepstakes ( he was traded to susn for peanuts)
maybe accepting Hornets offer of worhty for draft pick ( ended being larry Johnson).
and things could have been very different.
I can see a 1996 lakers with Magic, Peeler, Christie, Larry Johnson, Kobe and Shaq defeating the bulls sincerely.

MTar786
08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
you guys make it sound like jordans bulls werent going to lose to ANYONE no matter what. Thats ridiculous. the bulls started winning after the lakers got their share of chips and when kareem retired. the bulls started reacing the finals after the celtics went to the finals repeatedly. after the lakers and celtics lost ground the bulls rose.. competing with the pistons who was the original heir to the lakers/celtics. The bulls eventually beat the pistons.. the 80's lakers and celtics prevented jordan form winning. those teams were not the same in the 90's
so that on its own proved the bulls were beatable.

if magic stayed in 92 why wouldnt have buss have made the moves to get players to compete with mj and te bulls? yes i believe magic would have won atleast one more in the jordan era

btw fun fact: jordan started winning AFTER kareem retired and the lakers couldnt even beat detroit.
Jordan won when the celtics started to go down and also bird was injured. after jordan won his first championship magic retired. bird retired soon after. jordan won ring number 2 when the other best players in the nba werent even in the nba anymore. People need to acknowledge that. yes, he was the best ever.. but he wasnt immortal. no one was. jordan was lucky to be in the nba when they had JUST lost magic, kareem and greats like bird were almost done. the power house teams were gone. i dont understand how people are blinded to realise that jordan won his rings when there were NO powerhouse teams left.

MTar786
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM

When magic retired buss decided it was time to rebuild and started moving pieces like Perkins for a pack of chips.

maybe accepting Hornets offer of worhty for draft pick ( ended being larry Johnson).
I can see a 1996 lakers with Magic, Peeler, Christie, Larry Johnson, Kobe and Shaq defeating the bulls sincerely.

injured worthy.. and retired kareem.

ohh.. in 6 games

JNA17
08-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Injury is part of the game. Injured or not, the result would always be the same.

Chances are imo, that was not going to be likely. Again, Buss will go with what is good enough. He plays it safe a lot more times then he risks. If the Lakers actually went after Barkley, they would have offered a lot more then peanuts. The Suns are just damn lucky and 76ers were just that dumb. Lakers also would never make THAT BIG of a risk trading a guy like Worthy for a draft pick. It's usually the other way around.

A 1996 Lakers with that lineup would not even make the finals let alone actually win against the Bulls. First of all, Kobe's rookie year was 96-97, not 95-96, so no Kobe. Not even a ROOKIE Kobe Bryant. 2nd of all, a 36 or 37 year old Magic Johnson (that did not retire and constantly played every year), At that point you would probably rather have Nick Van Exel. Doug Cristie got traded in 95 or 96 I believe so he would not even be on the team and even if he did, he was not good then. Peeler, pass. Shaq, great, awesome, no explanation needed.

That hypothetical team would get beat faster then you could LA. 1996 was the Bulls best year (you know, the 72 win year?) and Crushed every team in the playoffs. Especially when they acquired even better role players and a better PF (Dennis Rodman). Again, the Lakers were much better off with Magic gone as much as i hate to say that.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 10:54 PM

ohh.. in 6 games

1991 finals? 5 games dude. Game 1 Lakers, Game 2-5 Bulls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NBA_Finals

Not to mention Lakers barley won game 1

llemon
08-04-2011, 10:59 PM

ohh.. in 6 games

In 5 games.

Bulls took all 3 in LA.

Worthy played 45, 40, 48 & 31 minutes in the first 4 games and missed game 5

notoriouzzzz
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
1. Mosquitos digest the HIV virus, the virus is not alive long enough to reproduce in large quantities. Diseases like malaria are refractory (sometimes immune) to digestive enzymes, thereby allowing it survive and reproduce for long periods of time.

2. Mosquitos do not ingest enough HIV particles to transmit AIDS by contamination.

3. A mosquito's salivary gland/food canal are separate passageways. It's feeding canal is unidirectional (meaning the blood moves in only one direction).

So no it's impossible.
Thank God! Someone what watching out for the rest of us during evolution/creation.. whichever floats ur boat

MTar786
08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
In 5 games.

Bulls took all 3 in LA.

Worthy played 45, 40, 48 & 31 minutes in the first 4 games and missed game 5

no i was referring to the 1996 idea. the bulls would have beat the lakers in 91 even with a 100% worthy

Hellcrooner
08-05-2011, 12:39 AM
no i was referring to the 1996 idea. the bulls would have beat the lakers in 91 even with a 100% worthy

disagree completely.

llemon
08-05-2011, 12:50 AM
disagree completely.

Of course you do, because you are a Laker fan.

JNA17
08-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Of course you do, because you are a Laker fan.

Well I'm a lakers fan too but Hellcrooner has a huge fetish for Magic Johnson and spanish players :laugh2:

llemon
08-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Well I'm a lakers fan too but Hellcrooner has a huge fetish for Magic Johnson and spanish players :laugh2:

Yes, I realize not all Laker fans feel as Hellcrooner does.

Hellcrooner
08-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Yes, I realize not all Laker fans feel as Hellcrooner does.

more like crooner does not feel like most lakers fan, in things as kobe or bynum.

llemon
08-05-2011, 01:29 AM
more like crooner does not feel like most lakers fan, in things as kobe or bynum.

Pasta, macaroni

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 01:35 AM
ofcourse it would have made a difference if magic continued to play. how can you argue that it wouldnt have ?? he was a beast.

llemon
08-05-2011, 12:50 PM
ofcourse it would have made a difference if magic continued to play. how can you argue that it wouldnt have ?? he was a beast.

Well, he would have been on some serious medication.

koLohe2133
08-05-2011, 01:13 PM
You guys are totally overlooking the fact that the government created the electric slide, the macarena, and white guys rapping to take tHe public's mind off of the aids epidemic.

gaughan333
08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

so he's realistic?

realhoops
08-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I think what he did was for the best. He helped raise awareness for the disease and by retiring, he paved the way for Michael Jordan to take over the league which turned out to be one of the best things to happen to basketball right? Plus the controversy he would have had to deal with probably wouldn't have been worth it. The guy already had what, 5 championships?

3mikee_
08-06-2011, 01:05 PM
DIdn't he come out of retirement to play in that all star game, why didn't no one complain about that?

NJrockPD
08-06-2011, 01:28 PM

So no it's impossible.

Good explanation.

Bruno
08-06-2011, 06:22 PM
If Buss actually did some tweaks with the team. What did he do with the Lakers when they lost to the Pistons in 1989 and when Kareem retired? Get Vlade Divac? We still had almost the same exact players, well the core players anyway. Bryan Scott, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, A.C. Green, etc. He didn't really change much of anything. He just has his big moments sometimes. In fact forget that, what is he doing for the Lakers now? Their still not attempting to make a move for Dwight or a much better PG, the bench has gotten worse over the last 2 or 3 years, and nothing has been really done about it. Just like the early 90s. Again, he has his moments, but most of the time, he will stay with what's "good enough".

And I'm pretty sure the Bulls did beat Show-Time. No, not just beat, CRUSHED show time. And I'm a Lakers fan saying this :(. Bulls had the best player, best right hand man (Scottie Pippen), best role players with great defense, and the coach that would soon be known as the greatest coach of all time (Phil Jackson). Even if the Lakers did get a better big-man, it would not have mattered. It would have been the same result like the Jazz. Great PG, Great bigman, great role players, no dice.

As for 94 and 95, Magic would be in his decline phase (you also have to remember that just because Magic did pretty well in 95, he also took a huge break like Jordan did for baseball). The team would also be a lot older, it would be like the Celtics of today. The Rockets were in their prime at the right time and would have put a number with their center Hakeem.

Maybe, yet it's still kind of redundant. Even if they somehow did get Shaq, there would be no Kobe, which means no three peat in the early 2000s, which also means no two point in 2009 and 2010, which means Shaq would have bailed even earlier and went somewhere else.

In the now, the lock-out is keeping any trade rumors or developments from taking place. It's taking a back seat to everything else. If the Lakers can land Howard, they will. Even if Jim Buss insists on Bynum he can still be over ruled by Jerry with Mitches and Jeanies support. Considering some of the trades and assets LA has been able to pull off since 1980, I'd say you first paragraph makes it seem like there's no history of making good moves at the right time to support a given core.

No KAJ, no show-time. The Bulls beat a shell of show-time who was in a transition stage.

I don't know how keeping Magic would have automatically resulted in LA not landing Kobe. LA didn't draft him, the teams record wouldn't have directly related to not getting Kobe. I don't see how Magic sticking around would have kept Shaq from signing in free-agency, or trading for Kobe. West would have done what he could have to land both regardless as GM. Shaq wanted to be in LA.