PDA

View Full Version : Putting this Crap to Rest: MELO VS. HOF PLAYER "X" - First 8 Seasons

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Player X is a first ballot HOF. He played in the golden era of basketball. He's considered by most a top 5-10 SF of all time. ALL.....TIME. Yet he never reached his conference finals. ever....

Player X's stats through 8 seasons:

26.1 ppg
6.7 rpg
2.4 apg
1.5 spg
.7 bpg

PER: 21.8
TS%: .534
WS: 74.6

Playoff stats:

26.8 ppg
6.6 rpg
2.6 apg

PER: 18.6
TS%: .510
WS: 2.8

------------------

Melo's Stats through 8 Seasons:

24.8 ppg
6.3 rpg
3.1 apg
1.1 spg
.5 bpg

PER: 20.3
TS%: .545
WS: 56.6

Playoff Stats:

24.7 ppg
7.3 rpg
3.1 apg

PER: 19.6
TS%: .521
WS: 4.2

I won't say yet who Player X is. Let's just say the competition he faced in his conference was very similiar to the stacked teams Melo faced in Denver....

:./

Cano4prez
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Oh lawd

DoMeFavors
08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Who is it?

starksforthree
08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Won't say yet dude, lol...

tredigs
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Without even looking at the numbers on the page - I'm saying it's 'Nique. I know their stats are virtually identical.

And yes, some day 'Melo will likely reach the hall, but you have to realize that a good portion of Dominique's intrigue was that he was a top 5 dunker in NBA history.

Hustlenomics
08-04-2011, 06:25 PM
the hate for Melo here isn't even logical.. it can't be his basketball skills people hate about him

meloman1592
08-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Starksforthree...great thread. Hope it quiets all the melo haters

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Great thread! I'm so sick of all these biased people on PSD. The worst part is they try to mask their bias by proclaiming that they are fair and balanced.

THE MTL
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Beautiful thread for the idiots who underrate Melo now that he is a Knick.

3mikee_
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Funny how none of the Melo haters are posting here

MelkyNYY
08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I think Carmelo Anthony is overrated by Knick fans. But it doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Venomous88
08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Looks like Dominique Wilkins

Sly Guy
08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
melo's a good player. I have much respect for his game, and specifically his offensive game. Dude can do it all, and knows when to bring a particular weapon out of his arsenal for any particular situation.

Trace
08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Looks like Dominique Wilkins

yup

JNA17
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Melo is a great player. Except just like with every player that is or has been on the Knicks *coughGallocough* is grossly overrated by Knicks fans. It's been like that since the Ewing era.

My view on Knicks fans: Very proud and loyal fanbase, but also the most delusional (just like the Knicks Front Office).

MelkyNYY
08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
^Basically what I said. He's a phenomenal player that Knicks fans attempt to elevate to top 3 or top 5 in the league. He just isn't that.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
^Basically what I said. He's a phenomenal player that Knicks fans attempt to elevate to top 3 or top 5 in the league. He just isn't that.

Remember when Knicks fans thought Amare should be MVP during the first half of the season?

DoMeFavors
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Dont like the Knicks but not gonna lie Melo is a superstar, really wanted him on the Nets. Id take his offense over Durant anyday.

T-Girl Jenna
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Player X is a first ballot HOF. He played in the golden era of basketball. He's considered by most a top 5-10 SF of all time. ALL.....TIME. Yet he never reached his conference finals. ever....

Player X's stats through 8 seasons:

26.1 ppg
6.7 rpg
2.4 apg
1.5 spg
.7 bpg

PER: 21.8
TS%: .534
WS: 74.6

Playoff stats:

26.8 ppg
6.6 rpg
2.6 apg

PER: 18.6
TS%: .510
WS: 2.8

------------------

Melo's Stats through 8 Seasons:

24.8 ppg
6.3 rpg
3.1 apg
1.1 spg
.5 bpg

PER: 20.3
TS%: .545
WS: 56.6

Playoff Stats:

24.7 ppg
7.3 rpg
3.1 apg

PER: 19.6
TS%: .521
WS: 4.2

I won't say yet who Player X is. Let's just say the competition he faced in his conference was very similiar to the stacked teams Melo faced in Denver....

:./

depends on how many times player X got out the first round compared to carmelo ;)

MelkyNYY
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Remember when Knicks fans thought Amare should be MVP during the first half of the season?

It's quite unfortunate. Because the Knicks have very talented players that they overrate to the point where fans outside of New York just hate them and start undervaluing them.

Carmelo and Amare are great players capable of leading a team (filled with the right pieces) to a championship. But stop attempting to elevate them to top 5/top 10 status when that's not what they are.

I remember what they did to Amare and it was sad.

RZZZA
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Someone, some day will have to point out all these "melo haters" to me, because I just don't see it. Knicks fans may have overtaken Bulls fans on this forum as the most super-sensitive fanbase with the biggest victim complex.

If you don't praise Melo excessively, then you're a hater. If you don't recognize the greatness of Knicks players, then you hate the Knicks.

Melo is fine where he is as a top 10 player, he doesn't belong in the top 5 and he doesn't deserve to be any lower than top 12 at the lowest. There's nothing wrong with being a top 10 player, it's not some great insult. You're still one of the best players in the NBA.

MelkyNYY
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Someone, some day will have to point out all these "melo haters" to me, because I just don't see it. Knicks fans may have overtaken Bulls fans on this forum as the most super-sensitive fanbase with the biggest victim complex.

If you don't praise Melo excessively, then you're a hater. If you don't recognize the greatness of Knicks players, then you hate the Knicks.

Melo is fine where he is as a top 10 player, he doesn't belong in the top 5 and he doesn't deserve to be any lower than top 12 at the lowest. There's nothing wrong with being a top 10 player, it's not some great insult. You're still one of the best players in the NBA.

Fantastic post.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
It's quite unfortunate. Because the Knicks have very talented players that they overrate to the point where fans outside of New York just hate them and start undervaluing them.

Carmelo and Amare are great players capable of leading a team (filled with the right pieces) to a championship. But stop attempting to elevate them to top 5/top 10 status when that's not what they are.

I remember what they did to Amare and it was sad.

I remember saying something about the trade they did for Melo was more of a future move. Just so that the Knicks could possibly get CP3 and form their own big three for the upcoming years. Which would be pretty beast but before that can even happen, they need at least better role players then the Heat XD.

OC Knights #11
08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
How many championships does he have? Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question. You can rack up all the stats all you want, but at the end of the day championships seperate great players (Melo) from Hall of fame legends.

He is a great player, no doubt, and if he continues to throw up decent stats i'm sure he will be inducted some day. Do I think he is hall of fame worthy/deserving, no, not yet at least.

OC Knights #11
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I think Carmelo Anthony is overrated by Knick fans. But it doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

This x2, but that's what big city team's fans do.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM

This x1000.

Trace
08-04-2011, 09:24 PM

This

rhymeratic
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Melo = Glenn Robinson... END OF STORY

Anyone who watched basketball in 90's-2000's and watched both their games know that is the most ACCURATE comparison. Gifted scorer, can make it happen when determined.

Melo is a nice All-Star player, not an elite all-time great... Nothing wrong with that. Would you say Melo is a better player than Larry Johnson??? I don't think so imo and I'm including both Charlotte AND Knick days.

marj987
08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Lmao @ Knicks fans saying their are "Melo Haters" when you constantly hated on the Heat for having LBJ, then thought you could be be redeemed when you acquired Melo.

naps
08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Melo is a great player. Except just like with every player that is or has been on the Knicks *coughGallocough* is grossly overrated by Knicks fans. It's been like that since the Ewing era.

My view on Knicks fans: Very proud and loyal fanbase, but also the most delusional (just like the Knicks Front Office).

I agree. No one hates Melo. Since some Knicks fans think he's could be the #1 option on ANY TEAM then it's overrating him. He's nowhere near that. He's not even a top 5 player. He's great offensive player but he's overrated now.

naztrack
08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Fantastic post.

no its not :facepalm:

GhostfaceDrilla
08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
He is an All Star, good player. Not a superstar. Knicks fans treat him like he is Michael Jordan... In the 10-15 range in the NBA.

gaughan333
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM

This exactly. 100% of my melo hatred comes from reading what knicks fans say about him

gaughan333
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
no its not :facepalm:

Care to explain?

MTar786
08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
id call em equals.. yet nique was more flashy and will be more remembered

Slimsim
08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Some of us Knicks fans just want to know why PSD Rate Durant so high and then say melo isn't top 10 because he's not a Elite Defender

nickdymez
08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
the hate for Melo here isn't even logical.. it can't be his basketball skills people hate about him

Im telling you.. Everyone here has this weird hate for Carmelo. Its weird. I argued with one of the "respected posters" here at psd all night about Melo. He just ended up insulting me. He didn't get banned like i did, but its whatever. Anyway, people just hate melo because, well no one knows...

nickdymez
08-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Some of us Knicks fans just want to know why PSD Rate Durant so high and then say melo isn't top 10 because he's not a Elite Defender

exactly.. Not all top ten players in the league are ELITE defenders

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM

According to PSD Gallo has quickly become one of the better sf's in the league after leaving the Knicks. When he was on the Knicks, he was considered overrated. Coincidence?

Evolution23
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
This exactly. 100% of my melo hatred comes from reading what knicks fans say about him

No a lot of psd posters are saying Melo is a top 25 player. That's where us knicks fans have to lay down knowledge on the haters. Of course real fans know where he stands as a top 10 player.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Because Kevin Durant is a better scorer (and more efficient), better leader, got one of the youngest teams in the NBA to the WCF. He's also a better defender (both are not that good but Melo is on another level of bad defender). Melo along with Amare who knicks fans praise just as much get swept by an old Celtics team.

Kevin Durant is much more of an All-Around Superstar SF (who also needs more work on defense and getting stronger).
Melo is an offensive player all star caliber SF. That's why.

sledge_mylez
08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Let's get this clear Melo is a good not great player. He is not in the upper echelon of players in the NBA. He is not marketable and hasn't done jack squat in the playoffs. Most importantly he sucker punched someone and ran away. He is not a man he is a P&#*! it's that simple. I will never respect a man that does such a thing. What makes it worse is he did it in front of the camera. Who knows what other ***** made things he has done off the air.

He has a hot wife, makes a lot of money, owns bunch of jays, fresh gear, and is a top 15 player in the beast bball league in the world. But, hes a sucka! He gets caught smoking bud, driving drunk, hangs with the wrong people, and runs away from fights.

C'mon NY! I thought people in y'all city respected dudes that went hard in the paint lol?

PatsSoxKnicks
08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm a Knick fan and I think Melo is just outside the top 10. Does this make me a hater of my own team or something? Or a reasonable fan?

I do find it annoying when other posters sit there and claim he's in the 20-30 range though, thats a little ridiculous.

nickdymez
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Because Kevin Durant is a better scorer (and more efficient), better leader, got one of the youngest teams in the NBA to the WCF. He's also a better defender (both are not that good but Melo is on another level of bad defender). Melo along with Amare who knicks fans praise just as much get swept by an old Celtics team.

Kevin Durant is much more of an All-Around Superstar SF (who also needs more work on defense and getting stronger).
Melo is an offensive player all star caliber SF. That's why.

You realize that Amare and Billups were hurt in that series right? Id say that they are about the same scoring wise, and Durants defense isnt anything to marvel over. Also those Denver teams werent exactly known for their defense as a whole..

PatsSoxKnicks
Im telling you.. Everyone here has this weird hate for Carmelo. Its weird. I argued with one of the "respected posters" here at psd all night about Melo. He just ended up insulting me. He didn't get banned like i did, but its whatever. Anyway, people just hate melo because, well no one knows...

Well, you're also the Lebron of posters in your own words. When things get difficult to debate, you bolt.

RZZZA
According to PSD Gallo has quickly become one of the better sf's in the league after leaving the Knicks. When he was on the Knicks, he was considered overrated. Coincidence?

probably. Couldn't it just be that Gallo gained more attention after the trade, since the trade itself resulted in so much attention from people who otherwise didn't pay close attention to Gallo? :eyebrow:

See this is what I mean when I say Knicks fans have a victim complex, you want to believe everybody hates the Knicks for basically no good reason.

Maybe being on the Nuggets highlights Gallos skillset better, he's surrounded by a ton of other good players so he himself starts to look better next to them? Maybe people like the Nuggets system better than they do the Knicks system. Maybe people were just wrong about Gallo and Knicks fans were right, it doesn't mean they hate the Knicks.

nickdymez
08-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, you're also the Lebron of posters in your own words. When things get difficult to debate, you bolt.

No when things get stupid, like right now with you, i "bolt"....

Slug3
08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I think what can make it hard is NY fans are going to put Melo on a higher level than a lot of other fans because he is on their team and they expect a lot out of him. Every fan base does this with someone on their team. I dont think its too much that everyone thinks Melo is not great, we just dont think he is as great as some NY fans do.

JNA17
08-04-2011, 11:29 PM
You realize that Amare and Billups were hurt in that series right? Id say that they are about the same scoring wise, and Durants defense isnt anything to marvel over. Also those Denver teams werent exactly known for their defense as a whole..

being hurt is apart of the game. Every team and player deals with that. Scoring wise, Kevin Durant is now two straight scoring champ running, and all nba first (twice), Melo, all 2nd, and was never an all NBA first once. He's a better scorer, better defender (again, i already said he's not that good at all at defense yet but Melo is bad while Durant is just not that good), and just an overall better player while also being much younger.

Yeah, Denver wasn't known for defense, and Melo sure as hell did not benefit the team with his. The only time the Nuggets really did get better was the first year they got billups, otherwise, even with a prime AI, they were first round knockouts, and Melo would not even be voted in by the fans or coaches as an all star.

llemon
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM

Amare and Billups hurt?

Who could have imagined such a thing?

NYkillaPriest
08-05-2011, 12:18 AM
being hurt is apart of the game. Every team and player deals with that. Scoring wise, Kevin Durant is now two straight scoring champ running, and all nba first (twice), Melo, all 2nd, and was never an all NBA first once. He's a better scorer, better defender (again, i already said he's not that good at all at defense yet but Melo is bad while Durant is just not that good), and just an overall better player while also being much younger.

Yeah, Denver wasn't known for defense, and Melo sure as hell did not benefit the team with his. The only time the Nuggets really did get better was the first year they got billups, otherwise, even with a prime AI, they were first round knockouts, and Melo would not even be voted in by the fans or coaches as an all star.

The reason us Knicks fans consider Melo better than Durant is because Melo is the better scorer (Durant scores more because he gets more trips to the foul line, because like LeBron, Wade and Kobe they cry for the foul calls melo doesn't) KD is the NBA poster boy with no controversy and supposedly the quiet nice guy so he gets the nod over Melo for these all NBA votes. You have to understand most Knick fans only faithfully watched Melo play for about 30 games and in those 30+ games Melo was a good defender and as for what i saw out of KD in the playoffs he's scared to man up and guard the best player.

We dont meen to overrate Melo its just hard to understand why KD gets so much more praise than Melo when they have the same knock on there game (defense) but we see Melo as the better defender and if you take into consideration how offton the other top players misses a shot on a foul call Melo would be more efficient than most of them (just watch a Knicks game against another top team, foul calls on shot attempts don't go the same for us).

nickdymez
08-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Being hurt is part of the game, but when two of core guys get hurt, not banged up, but hurt there isnt much you can do.. I think Melo is a great player, not a super human player. he played a great game 3 despite that and did all he could.

Now before we start this debate, i think Durant is a better all around player than melo, im just saying it isnt by that much. Id take both players on my team in a heartbeat.. Those AI years were a wash to me because AI wasnt the best influence on him and that is a negative about Carmelo. But just basketball game wise, he's no slouch

nickdymez
08-05-2011, 12:52 AM
The reason us Knicks fans consider Melo better than Durant is because Melo is the better scorer (Durant scores more because he gets more trips to the foul line, because like LeBron, Wade and Kobe they cry for the foul calls melo doesn't) KD is the NBA poster boy with no controversy and supposedly the quiet nice guy so he gets the nod over Melo for these all NBA votes. You have to understand most Knick fans only faithfully watched Melo play for about 30 games and in those 30+ games Melo was a good defender and as for what i saw out of KD in the playoffs he's scared to man up and guard the best player.

We dont meen to overrate Melo its just hard to understand why KD gets so much more praise than Melo when they have the same knock on there game (defense) but we see Melo as the better defender and if you take into consideration how offton the other top players misses a shot on a foul call Melo would be more efficient than most of them (just watch a Knicks game against another top team, foul calls on shot attempts don't go the same for us).

i was gonna mention the fact that Melo goes to the line more than anyone in the NBA and is a 90% free throw shooter.. But im not gonna hold that against him because you do what you gotta do.. But i think if they were outside playing street ball, Melo would be the better scorer.

JNA17
08-05-2011, 12:55 AM

Kevin Durant doesn't even come to close to the amount of times he drives to the basket compared to Melo. Durant went to the fall line a lot because he does it legitimately unlike most of the players you mentioned including Melo. You think Melo doesn't cry for a foul? Him and Lebron would make great Rugrats characters. 30 games? Try his whole career, including those 30 games. If you consider those "30 games" of his to be good defense, I bet then you would have no problem with Dantoni's coaching and Nash's defense for sure :rolleyes: .

Well this is pretty much the same statement as your first one. No, he's not a better defender. Again, there is a difference between bad defense and not good defense. You can check the advanced statistics yourself. Durant is not just getting NBA all first team, all star votes, scoring champs (oh wait, that last one is all him) because he has a better attitude then Melo, he's just a better player.

Again, Melo is a great offensive player who is at the top 10. But when you compare him to a guy like Durant, then you would make Melo look like he's barley top 15.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Let's get this clear Melo is a good not great player. He is not in the upper echelon of players in the NBA. He is not marketable and hasn't done jack squat in the playoffs. Most importantly he sucker punched someone and ran away. He is not a man he is a P&#*! it's that simple. I will never respect a man that does such a thing. What makes it worse is he did it in front of the camera. Who knows what other ***** made things he has done off the air.

He has a hot wife, makes a lot of money, owns bunch of jays, fresh gear, and is a top 15 player in the beast bball league in the world. But, hes a sucka! He gets caught smoking bud, driving drunk, hangs with the wrong people, and runs away from fights.

C'mon NY! I thought people in y'all city respected dudes that went hard in the paint lol?
LOL. Good post, dude. I truly enjoyed it. I remember when he sucker-punched MARDY COLLINS on the Knicks like it was yesterday. He was running away from Jared Jeffries if you didn't remember.

I'm a Knick fan and I think Melo is just outside the top 10. Does this make me a hater of my own team or something? Or a reasonable fan?

I do find it annoying when other posters sit there and claim he's in the 20-30 range though, thats a little ridiculous.

I was looking for a post that i 100% agreed with and i just found it. ^

Nyc4You
08-05-2011, 01:29 AM
How is this considered crap? you know wat rlly is crap? how the fk can u put D wade over Melo? that boggles my mind.

OT: if ur going to say melo isnt a superstar because he doesnt have a chip then wat about lebron? and btw melo IS marketable. Thats why he just went on a huge tour to china?i mean cmon how hard is it to say melo?

nickdymez
08-05-2011, 01:32 AM
How is this considered crap? you know wat rlly is crap? how the fk can u put D wade over Melo? that boggles my mind.

OT: if ur going to say melo isnt a superstar because he doesnt have a chip then wat about lebron? and btw melo IS marketable. Thats why he just went on a huge tour to china?i mean cmon how hard is it to say melo?

d-wade is an all around better player than Melo... lol

Nyc4You
08-05-2011, 02:37 AM

what is D wade better than melo in? dont tell me Defense cuz u guys underrate it...

JNA17
08-05-2011, 02:40 AM

I think he's joking. At least i think he is.

SportsFanatic10
08-05-2011, 03:17 AM

hahaha wow if you really think melo is better than wade your mind probably getts boggled pretty easily. dwade is actually a 2way player and is definately a tier above melo. wade is a better passer, defender, ball handler, and slasher than melo. and for a much shorter guy hes a better shotblocker and he's close in rebounding. all melo has on wade is his jump shot and he's better in the post(being a forward he really should be) but even still wade is a more efficient scorer lol. get real here.

SportsFanatic10
08-05-2011, 03:19 AM

i hope he is or else hes got mental issues. hes probably just another crazy ny guy who also thinks eli manning is better than rodgers.

coryd238
08-05-2011, 03:20 AM
You guys know nothing about Melo. You only go off of what you heard 3-4 years ago. Just give it up already.

And lol, yeah.. Durant a better leader...

Maybe you should watch Melo play.

Edit: And efficiency is a joke.

Oh, and you guys act like Durant is SO much better than Melo. When they're just about the same. Shows how much you guys know.

JNA17
08-05-2011, 03:24 AM
i hope he is or else hes got mental issues. hes probably just another crazy ny guy who also thinks eli manning is better than rodgers.

If that person exists, please tell me his name and his social security number. I will gladly go to this person and give a lovely...discussion.

SportsFanatic10
08-05-2011, 03:31 AM
If that person exists, please tell me his name and his social security number. I will gladly go to this person and give a lovely...discussion.

haha yeah i probably exaggerated a bit there but not much. i've seen alot of new york fans in the nfl forum saying eli is top 10 actually alot of them seemed to think hes 6th or 7th in the league at qb. i'm no new york hater at all i'm just realistic. without trying to turn this into an eli thread i think hes about 12 in the nfl and have nothing against him. and as for melo i definately think hes a superstar but here's where i'd rank him in the league right now.

Lebron
Howard
Wade
Durant
Paul
Dirk
Kobe
Melo
Rose
D Will

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with some of the order of my rankings but i doubt many people outside of new york would try and put melo over wade.

nickdymez
08-05-2011, 08:08 AM

lol, naw man, he's serious

PrettyBoyJ
08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Durant and Melo are not that far apart.. their numbers are very similar and they both dont play good defense and they have a similar body of work.. And another thing OKC was able to get 3 good players from the draft because they had lottery picks from having a few bad seasons.. (Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka) Nuggets where never giving that option because they had a winning seasons since drafting Melo.. And Melo only played with one player in his tenure with Denver that posted more then 20+ ppg (Allen Iverson) look how that turned out..

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 09:29 AM
You guys know nothing about Melo. You only go off of what you heard 3-4 years ago. Just give it up already.

Oh, and you guys act like Durant is SO much better than Melo. When they're just about the same. Shows how much you guys know.

There is a significant difference in their efficiency what are you talking about?

Durant scores more at more efficient rate than Carmelo.

Stop making excuses for Carmelo and be real. I am a bigger A.I. fan than you're a Melo fan but you'll NEVER see me running around here making baseless excuses for him.

The disrespect Melo receives is in some ways merited (same with A.I.) because of the fact that Melo doesn't give his all on the floor (A.I. more off the court). I've said it many a times IF Carmelo Anthony lives up to his potential and actually plays a motivated brand of basketball for an extended period of time he's a top 5 player and the undisputed #2 (will even give LeBron a run for his money) SF in the league. Till then take what you get and keep cheering for your boy.

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
IMO Carmelo Anthony is a GREAT player and is going to become a top 8-12 SF (I don't see him ever passing Bird, LeBron, Hondo, Pippen, Baylor, Dr J and Rick Barry) when it's all said and done. However for this to happen Carmelo Anthony NEEDS to play the defense, he needs to remain motivated, he needs to understand that despite one of the sweetest mid range games in the league he should pick his spots wisely and make the best of every opportunity down the floor. Carmelo Anthony NEEDS to mature.

Bubba313
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I love how everyone in this forum jumps to conclusions like every Knick fans thinks Melo is a top 5 guy? No we don't. What we do believe is that Melo can possibly over take Durant as the #2 SF in the league if he actually put forth some effort. It seems like everyone here totally disregards Melo's talent, and if a Knick fan tries to say its there and its possible he could be better than Durant then you just call them stupid.

Melo's definitely top ten, there's no denying that. But, he's not better than Durant nor Wade. From the sane Knick fans you might see a Top Ten list like this

Lebron
Dwight
Wade
CP3
Dirk
Durant
Kobe
Rose
Melo
D-Will

SteBO
08-05-2011, 09:42 AM

I really hope you're joking with this, but I'll answer your question anyhow.

Wade actually plays on both ends of the court and gives it his all every game. On top of all that, he rebounds very well for a 6'4" SG and is a better passer than 'Melo. When 'Melo actually works on his game and takes it seriously, then we can have a Wade vs. 'Melo debate. Until then, it isn't that close right now.

FYI: I've actually been a 'Melo supporter and highly value his demeanor in pressure situations during the games. I even argued that he could be above Durant right now as we speak. But there is no denying that Durant and Melo PPG wise are comparable, but Durant does it on better efficiency. I personally think the OP simply wants to voice his love for Carmelo and has yet to provide any value for his arguments as to why he should be considered a top tier player.

SteBO
08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I love how everyone in this forum jumps to conclusions like every Knick fans thinks Melo is a top 5 guy? No we don't. What we do believe is that Melo can possibly over take Durant as the #2 SF in the league if he actually put forth some effort. It seems like everyone here totally disregards Melo's talent, and if a Knick fan tries to say its there and its possible he could be better than Durant then you just call them stupid.

Melo's definitely top ten, there's no denying that. But, he's not better than Durant nor Wade. From the sane Knick fans you might see a Top Ten list like this

Lebron
Dwight
Wade
CP3
Dirk
Durant
Kobe
Rose
Melo
D-Will

I can agree with this list right here.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 10:03 AM

:facepalm:
loooooooool, knicks fans had orgasms over gallo when he was a knick.

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
probably. Couldn't it just be that Gallo gained more attention after the trade, since the trade itself resulted in so much attention from people who otherwise didn't pay close attention to Gallo? :eyebrow:

See this is what I mean when I say Knicks fans have a victim complex, you want to believe everybody hates the Knicks for basically no good reason.

Maybe being on the Nuggets highlights Gallos skillset better, he's surrounded by a ton of other good players so he himself starts to look better next to them? Maybe people like the Nuggets system better than they do the Knicks system. Maybe people were just wrong about Gallo and Knicks fans were right, it doesn't mean they hate the Knicks.

I hear a bunch of excuses but most of you were hating on Gallo, not just underrating. It was funny because everyone's favorite team quickly became the Nuggets after the trade. Every one started "respecting" Gallo, Chandler, Felton, and Mozgov. On the other hand most people outside of NY were mad about Melo demanding a trade out of Denver even though it was a lopsided trade that went in Denver's favor. If you really think people outside of NY are all fair minded and don't have a bias against it, you have to be naive. It's not just against the Knicks, it starts with the Yankees and a lot of people brand New Yorkers as a single personality type like loud, obnoxious, and cocky but at the same time some outsiders don't consider their own hate towards a city that doesn't disrespect yours or your people.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 10:06 AM

I lol'd

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 10:09 AM
what is D wade better than melo in? dont tell me Defense cuz u guys underrate it...

are you serious?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM

it is cause it doesn't favour Melo, right?

SteBO
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I lol'd

are you serious?
These two posts were my initial thoughts after first reading.

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I really hope you're joking with this, but I'll answer your question anyhow.

Wade actually plays on both ends of the court and gives it his all every game. On top of all that, he rebounds very well for a 6'4" SG and is a better passer than 'Melo. When 'Melo actually works on his game and takes it seriously, then we can have a Wade vs. 'Melo debate. Until then, it isn't that close right now.

FYI: I've actually been a 'Melo supporter and highly value his demeanor in pressure situations during the games. I even argued that he could be above Durant right now as we speak. But there is no denying that Durant and Melo PPG wise are comparable, but Durant does it on better efficiency. I personally think the OP simply wants to voice his love for Carmelo and has yet to provide any value for his arguments as to why he should be considered a top tier player.

There's no need to argue for the fact that Wade is better than Melo, every one knows that. The case can be made that Melo and Durant are a lot closer than people think. I can argue for the fact that Durant is one dimensional offensively with his jumpshot. Yes he has a amazing stroke but in the playoffs when you are getting doubled and trippled, you need a go to move, a post game, etc. Yes Durant is more efficient but the dynamics of the playoffs change your playing style and players have to adjust. As we saw in the Dallas series Durant couldn't adjust when his shot wasn't falling. Maybe he will get better in terms of offensive moves but as of now I can make the case that Melo is equal to durant if not slightly better.

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 10:14 AM
loooooooool, knicks fans had orgasms over gallo when he was a knick.

Orgasms? No but we saw the talent that most of you ignored, but you are all seeing it now. I'm glad you realized it later than sooner. :clap:

SteBO
08-05-2011, 10:15 AM
There's no need to argue for the fact that Wade is better than Melo, every one knows that. The case can be made that Melo and Durant are a lot closer than people think. I can argue for the fact that Durant is one dimensional offensively with his jumpshot. Yes he has a amazing stroke but in the playoffs when you are getting doubled and trippled, you need a go to move, a post game, etc. Yes Durant is more efficient but the dynamics of the playoffs change your playing style and players have to adjust. As we saw in the Dallas series Durant couldn't adjust when his shot wasn't falling. Maybe he will get better in terms of offensive moves but as of now I can make the case that Melo is equal to durant if not slightly better.
At least you're giving reasons as to why you think 'Melo can and probably should be placed above Durant. And I do agree with you. Unfortunately for Melo and his supporters, we aren't arguing just the playoffs. Regular season is included and those stats and indicate Durant being the better player. I do agree with you though regarding how the dynamics of the playoffs force guys to play a different way. That's something Durant still has to learn, and 'Melo I believe already gets. He has the complete package offensively, but the downside of it all is that he just isn't as efficient as Durant. That's the knock on him right now.

mjm07
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

times a 100. :clap::clap:

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
At least you're giving reasons as to why you think 'Melo can and probably should be placed above Durant. And I do agree with you. Unfortunately for Melo and his supporters, we aren't arguing just the playoffs. Regular season is included and those stats and indicate Durant being the better player. I do agree with you though regarding how the dynamics of the playoffs force guys to play a different way. That's something Durant still has to learn, and 'Melo I believe already gets. He has the complete package offensively, but the downside of it all is that he just isn't as efficient as Durant. That's the knock on him right now.

So the argument pretty much comes down to Durant's efficiency vs Melo's complete offensive game. I guess it can go either way depending on the person you are talking to.

SteBO
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
So the argument pretty much comes down to Durant's efficiency vs Melo's complete offensive game. I guess it can go either way depending on the person you are talking to.
Exactly. I'm neutral on it, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, I'd personally take Carmelo because he can beat elite defenses in more ways than one. You take away his drives, and he can utilize his mid-range game and vice versa. He also has a good post up game. No matter what you do with the guy, he can still beat you.

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I lol'd

The excuses are astounding. I mean WTF...

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
When will these Knicks fans realize that NO ONE is hating on their players?

mjm07
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM

SteBO
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
When will these Knicks fans realize that NO ONE is hating on their players?
It's actually been a pretty common theme for years.

I must admit though, with Gallo, people quickly did change their tune when he got traded to Denver. With that, I agree with Knick fans to an extent. "Chucker" was majority of posters here labeled him. When he hit Denver, people started he's a "great role player". Outside of that instance, everything else is excuses.

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM

What kind of GARBAGE is this?

You same KNICKS FANS were the ones who said he was soft and would never make it in NY and LeBron would be a much better fit for your team. You same Knicks fans called Carmelo "Carmela" after the fight at the Garden.

Now people like you don't represent all Knicks fans because there are some very smart and logically unbiased Knicks fans but guys like you give all a bad name.

Swashcuff
08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
It's actually been a pretty common theme for years.

I must admit though, with Gallo, people quickly did change their tune when he got traded to Denver. With that, I agree with Knick fans to an extent. "Chucker" was majority of posters here labeled him. When he hit Denver, people started he's a "great role player". Outside of that instance, everything else is excuses.

Gallo unfortunately suffered from the way Knicks fans overrated him more so than anything else. I mean I would expect the same if Andrew Bynum was to leave the Lakers. Some Knikcs fans were running rampant speaking of how Gallo is the best shooter in the league and in the near future going to be better than prime Peja.

It was a knee jerk reaction of many to act that way towards them because of how they overrated him so much.

JerseysFinest
08-05-2011, 10:46 AM

Lebron
Dwight
Wade
CP3
Dirk
Durant
Kobe
Rose
Melo
D-Will
Deron Williams is a better player than Carmelo Anthony

(Shots fired)

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Exactly. I'm neutral on it, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, I'd personally take Carmelo because he can beat elite defenses in more ways than one. You take away his drives, and he can utilize his mid-range game and vice versa. He also has a good post up game. No matter what you do with the guy, he can still beat you.

This is exactly how I feel.. But Sadly overzealous Knicks fans combined with Melo haters blind people from the truth

08-05-2011, 11:06 AM

As a non-knicks fan, I would actually agree with amare being discussed as a potential MVP for the first half of the season, he turned a losing team into a winning team on his own...until the melo trade:cool:

08-05-2011, 11:12 AM

hhhmmm, but when melo left denver, all of a sudden they became a top 3 defensive team.... wonder why :rolleyes:

NYsFinest
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Deron Williams is a better player than Carmelo Anthony

(Shots fired)

That's an opinion.... the top 5-15 is all a matter of opinion, there is only a few clear cut players above the rest. So people need to relax and stop arguing because the truth is Melo is somewhere in between 5 and 15 all depending on personal opinion. There isn't a correct answer as to where he falls within that category, but nondisputable that it is where he belongs.

Knick fans are overreacting by overhyping Melo and non-Knick fans are overreacting by trying to put him down.

juno10
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM

or he might beat himself when he settles for an awkward off balance deep 2, he's conditioning isn't up to par so i think thats why he isn't on full throttle for 48 mins. if he gets in better shape he can arguably become the best player in the league.

PlezPlayDKnicks
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
or he might beat himself when he settles for an awkward off balance deep 2, he's conditioning isn't up to par so i think thats why he isn't on full throttle for 48 mins. if he gets in better shape he can arguably become the best player in the league.

Agreed... He's so comfortable with it sometimes he settles since he's accustomed to hitting those types of shots. And he can work on his conditioning. He'll prob Neva be a physical specimen like Bron but he uses his tools well and better conditioning can only help his game.

MelkyNYY
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Lebron
Dwight
Wade
CP3
Dirk
Durant
Kobe
D-Will
Melo
Rose

Brooklyn Mets
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
every fan overrates/undervalues certain players on their respective teams.. its life..
it just comes more into the spotlight in big market areas such as ny, la, boston, chi, etc..

and knicks fans werent the only ones who considered amare an mvp candidate the first half of the year.. it was pretty much general consensus.. the guy was playing lights out every night..

coryd238
08-05-2011, 03:28 PM
There is a significant difference in their efficiency what are you talking about?

Durant scores more at more efficient rate than Carmelo.

Stop making excuses for Carmelo and be real. I am a bigger A.I. fan than you're a Melo fan but you'll NEVER see me running around here making baseless excuses for him.

The disrespect Melo receives is in some ways merited (same with A.I.) because of the fact that Melo doesn't give his all on the floor (A.I. more off the court). I've said it many a times IF Carmelo Anthony lives up to his potential and actually plays a motivated brand of basketball for an extended period of time he's a top 5 player and the undisputed #2 (will even give LeBron a run for his money) SF in the league. Till then take what you get and keep cheering for your boy.

I meant efficiency in general is an overrated stat.

My top ten:

Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Howard
CP3
Melo
Durant
Dirk
D Will
Rose

And Knicks fans, please be quiet. Melo has ALWAYS been treated like this. This has nothing to do with New York.

But yes, Amare was a midseason MVP candidate. Anyone who debates that is simply ignorant.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
it is cause it doesn't favour Melo, right?

If it doesn't favor 'Melo it also doesn't favor Kobe. Get that through your head.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
If it doesn't favor 'Melo it also doesn't favor Kobe. Get that through your head.

If you compare their advandced stats, Kobe is well ahead of Melo.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I still don't get how saying Melo is a top 10-12 player, and behind LeBron and Durant is being a hater (and don't even tell me that isn't true, I have been called that numerous times while making these exact same claims)

But Melo is not the elite of the elite. He just isn't. He is a perennial all star and a great player. Jesus, the minute he was traded to NY, the push for how awesome he is grew even more frantic than before. Trade him to Milwaukee, please, so we only have to deal with like 30 posters on this site in this repetitive conversation that always ends up the same

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 06:01 PM
If you compare their advandced stats, Kobe is well ahead of Melo.
Did you think i was talking about FG%?

I'm talking about eFG, TS%, and ORtg. Kobe has become a tad more efficient in his later years, but nothing to write home about, and certainly not "well ahead" of Carmelo. If you compare their career stats, Kobe is marginally more efficient. Comparing their first 8 seasons, they are damn-near identical.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=bryanko01&y1=2004&p2=anthoca01&y2=2011

You are a hypocrite if you bash 'Melo for being inefficient and give Kobe a free pass.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I still don't get how saying Melo is a top 10-12 player, and behind LeBron and Durant is being a hater (and don't even tell me that isn't true, I have been called that numerous times while making these exact same claims)

But Melo is not the elite of the elite. He just isn't. He is a perennial all star and a great player. Jesus, the minute he was traded to NY, the push for how awesome he is grew even more frantic than before. Trade him to Milwaukee, please, so we only have to deal with like 30 posters on this site in this repetitive conversation that always ends up the same

How many players do you consider to be the "elite of the elite"? two? three? seven? And is it realistic that a minor discrepancy in advanced shooting percentages could be enough to definitively bump an amazing player out of the "elite" class? I certainly don't think so.

Look, Hawkeye, in terms of production i see 'Melo as a fringe top 10, 10-12 at worst. Thats where you and i agree. Whether you consider him to be "elite" is getting into semantics and is entirely subjective.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 06:16 PM
@Hawk, you know i don't consider you to be a hater. I can't help the overabundance of Knick fan's with a victim complex. In the Knicks forum, i'm the one whos considered to be "the hater".

bulls leakage
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Did you think i was talking about FG%?

I'm talking about eFG, TS%, and ORtg. Kobe has become a tad more efficient in his later years, but nothing to write home about, and certainly not "well ahead" of Carmelo. If you compare their career stats, Kobe is marginally more efficient. Comparing their first 8 seasons, they are damn-near identical.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=bryanko01&y1=2004&p2=anthoca01&y2=2011

You are a hypocrite if you bash 'Melo for being inefficient and give Kobe a free pass.

Kobe homers are like Drose homers plus Melo homers on steroids. There is no getting through to them, so don't bother.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Kobe homers are like Drose homers plus Melo homers on steroids. There is no getting through to them, so don't bother.

Well, seeing that the poster i was replying to usually just makes a one sentence statement with no rational or fact based argument to back it up, i wasn't really hoping to get through to him. That doesn't mean i won't tell it like it is. Watch, he won't even reply to me now.

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Gallo unfortunately suffered from the way Knicks fans overrated him more so than anything else. I mean I would expect the same if Andrew Bynum was to leave the Lakers. Some Knikcs fans were running rampant speaking of how Gallo is the best shooter in the league and in the near future going to be better than prime Peja.

It was a knee jerk reaction of many to act that way towards them because of how they overrated him so much.

He already is as good as a prime Peja.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 06:27 PM
He already is as good as a prime Peja.

No. Look again.

smith&wesson
08-05-2011, 06:29 PM
he is top 10.

nickdymez
08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
hhhmmm, but when melo left denver, all of a sudden they became a top 3 defensive team.... wonder why :rolleyes:

lol, because they didnt have no one who could score the ball like Melo. Their top scorers left so they changed identities... Work out to because they were solid. If your implying that Carmelo not being a good defender made the rest of the team play bad defense then idk...

Evolution23
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
No. Look again.

My bad I meant today's Peja. Prime Peja was def better than current Gallo.

Bubba313
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
This whole thread is a joke... were all agreeing on the same ****

There's no doubt Melo will fall in the 7-12 range of any one's list of top players

The problem is other team's fans reactions to the Knicks fan base. Yea, we have a lot of fans. And when you have a lot of fans, there's a wide range basketball intelligence. If you just listen to the Kashmir's and the other sane posters, you'll realize were not calling any one a hater for not putting Melo in the top 10.

All were doing is making our arguments, and some of us are stating that it's a lot closer between Durant and Melo than people think.

None of the real posters and putting Melo above D-Wade, that's just stupid. So everyone stop overreacting.

Kashmir13579
08-05-2011, 09:15 PM
My bad I meant today's Peja. Prime Peja was def better than current Gallo.

LOL. Shawn Williams is better than today's Peja, bro.

None of the real posters and putting Melo above D-Wade, that's just stupid. So everyone stop overreacting.

Agreed. Nothing can be done about the posters that will put 'Melo ahead of players that are CLEARLY more valuable than him. Like you said, the Knicks have so many fans that the delusional homers will stick out more than any other fanbase.

tp13baby
08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Melo is a stud. I don't like him but i think he will be a HOF one day.

setman2000
08-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Lazy defender, Playoff loser who shoots 41.9% which is 4 points lower than regular season.

At this point - NO HOF! If he can ever win in the post season (Besides 1 out of 8 years) then maybe.

nickdymez
08-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Lazy defender, Playoff loser who shoots 41.9% which is 4 points lower than regular season.

At this point - NO HOF! If he can ever win in the post season (Besides 1 out of 8 years) then maybe.

lol@ playoff loser.. A lot of people are

coryd238
08-06-2011, 12:56 AM

See? This is another example at looking at "stats" ( I guess, I don't know what else to call it) with out looking at the whole story. Every year Melo was the underdog, besides 1.

Ok.

2003 - Lost to the Timberwolves, KG led, #1 seed, WCF.
2004 - Lost to #2 ranked SPURS, who won the Title that year.
2005 - Lost to Clippers, LA had HCA because of the old format of Record > Division
2006- Lost to NBA Champion Spurs
2008 - Lost to NBA Finals Lakers
2009 - WCF, lost to NBA Champion Lakers
2010 - Lost to the Jazz :facepalm: But GK had cancer and the TERRIBLE coach Adrian Dantley took over. Melo was the only one producing (watch videos if you don't believe me)